• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago the last week in July

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Frances (2017)
I have a friend who wants to walk for a week on Frances during the last week in July. She will be travelling from Malaga so logistically a flight to Santiago where she can leave her suitcase, bus to Sarria, then walk back would seem the easiest. However she is concerned about the number of pilgrims and availability of accommodation. Any comments or alternative routes would be appreciated. This is her first experience on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Sanabres (The last part of the Via de la Plata).

The feast day of Santiago is 25 July. That tends to make the town and the Caminos especially busy for a few days either side. Not the ideal time to walk if you are concerned about numbers. The Camino Portugues is gaining in popularity in recent years and I would expect that to be busy too. There will probably be fewer people walking the Sanabres or the Camino Ingles but there are also fewer albergues and hostals on those routes so that might not be an unmixed blessing. Personally I am very reluctant to book accommodation in advance but if I had to walk any of the "final 100km" routes in that period then I would seriously consider making reservations well ahead of time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a friend who wants to walk for a week on Frances during the last week in July. She will be travelling from Malaga so logistically a flight to Santiago where she can leave her suitcase, bus to Sarria, then walk back would seem the easiest. However she is concerned about the number of pilgrims and availability of accommodation. Any comments or alternative routes would be appreciated. This is her first experience on the Camino.
Hola

There will be people on the road in July, but this is part of the Camino.
The most crowded stretch is between Saria and Santiago, as a lot of people would like to have a compostela.

She could consider to get herself to Pamplona and walk for a week.
Different experience, but much more complicated logistically.

It is a question/problem that is often raised - the Saria to Santiago and "I don't want a lot of people", but then she has to pick a month where there are less walking.
She could do a late autumn walk.

I guess what I am saying is you can't expect to walk for one week, get a compostela and be alone.
For that she is just about 30-40 years to late..

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I guess what I am saying is you can't expect to walk for one week, get a compostela and be alone.
For that she is just about 30-40 years to late..
You certainly can't expect that in July or the rest of the ever-expanding "pilgrimage season". I walked the Frances in January this year. After Sarria I stayed in Xunta albergues in Barbadelo, Gonzar, Melide and Santa Irene. In Barbadelo and Santa Irene I had the albergues to myself. In Melide and Gonzar there was one other pilgrim. While walking during the day I rarely saw another pilgrim. It really was like going back 30 years but with far better accommodation! :)

From Santiago she could get almost anywhere within the 100 km mark. Montfort de Lemos is the 100 for the Invierno or Ferrol for the Ingles?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
during the last week in July. She will be travelling from Malaga so logistically a flight to Santiago where she can leave her suitcase, bus to Sarria, then walk back would seem the easiest. However she is concerned about the number of pilgrims and availability of accommodation.
Just want to point out that this is actually two questions: What about the number of pilgrims and what about the availability of accommodation for me? This part of Galicia between Sarria and Santiago appears to have plenty of accommodation to meet high demand ...

Also, I would not overestimate the importance of getting a Compostela for those who walk in July from Sarria ... it is summer when people take their holidays; they want to walk in green Galicia; for a week or two; and end in the town of Santiago with all it has to offer ... my guess at least.

Thanks for the replies. Just to explain a bit more, she will be in Spain
for 6 weeks study purposes. Her dates are fixed but she would like to experience some of the Camino with the view of returning to do more next year. Her concern with the number of people is in regards to accommodation, she is not wanting to be alone or to get the Compostela. It is mainly the logistics of travelling from Malaga and making an easy start on the Camino. I should also add that she is flying back to Australia from Santiago.

Her concern with the number of people is in regards to accommodation, she is not wanting to be alone or to get the Compostela.
One thing that I would try do if I were in her place: Start mid-week in Sarria. When you look at the known daily arrival numbers in Santiago (i.e. Compostela numbers) you can see how cyclic the pattern is: higher numbers on Thursdays, Fridays and/or weekends, and of course just before the apostle's feast day in July, and considerably fewer on the other weekdays. That's because so many start five days to one week earlier in Sarria on a Saturday or a Sunday.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If she is walking alone, she probably will find a bed as long as she stays off the traditional stages or is prepared to walk on a bit if beds are tight. Lots of Spanish families and school groups during July.

I suggest walking from Tui on the Portuguese, Monforte de Lemos on the Invierno, Ourense on the Sanabres, or Ferrol on the Ingles.
  • All qualify for a Compostela, if you get at least two stamps per day in your credencial.
  • All have adequate accommodations available, especially in the summer months.
  • All will have fewer pilgrims on the way towards Santiago.
Of course, this later observation is a relative one. All the routes will be more crowded in July and August as that is the peak holiday months for most Europeans, especially those from Spain and Portugal.

I have avoided listing those 100 km routes that merge with the end of the Camino Frances. While this is traditionally the 'main' route most pilgrims walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port, it is best walked in the "hip" months of April-May and September-October. The hip months are after the Easter break which always sees a spike in pilgrims, as well as when schools and universities are in session. The latter consideration removes most students and academics from most all pilgrimage routes.

There are likely a myriad of other ways to accomplish this pilgrimage. I am sure someone else will add them here.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Hi Everyone... thanks for your comments, and thanks Trish for posting my question. Ill be flying into Santiago from Malaga on 22nd July... and I fly back to Australia on 2nd August. So I have that time to do a week walk on the camino. I will need to bus or train out to start my chosen walk. Then walk back into Santiago to collect my case, sleep the night and then fly home.

I realise I am coming in peak season. So I can prebook my accommodation in Santiago.
Im really excited to walk a week of the camino. Im just worried that in peak season about finding a bed each night, as I would rather not have to prebook as I dont know how far I can walk etc... I would really just love the flexibility of being able to walk along. So yes, I was thinking of doing an alternative route so I might be able to achieve this. I would love any suggestions for what section to walk for a week.
And, is there a bus or train I can to start? eg: Ferrol, Tui etc... these two routes certainly look like a good alternative option.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 1.34.15 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 1.34.15 pm.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suggest walking from Tui on the Portuguese, Monforte de Lemos on the Invierno, Ourense on the Sanabres, or Ferrol on the Ingles.
  • All qualify for a Compostela, if you get at least two stamps per day in your credencial.
  • All have adequate accommodations available, especially in the summer months.
  • All will have fewer pilgrims on the way towards Santiago.
Of course, this later observation is a relative one. All the routes will be more crowded in July and August as that is the peak holiday months for most Europeans, especially those from Spain and Portugal.

I have avoided listing those 100 km routes that merge with the end of the Camino Frances. While this is traditionally the 'main' route most pilgrims walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port, it is best walked in the "hip" months of April-May and September-October. The hip months are after the Easter break which always sees a spike in pilgrims, as well as when schools and universities are in session. The latter consideration removes most students and academics from most all pilgrimage routes.

There are likely a myriad of other ways to accomplish this pilgrimage. I am sure someone else will add them here.

I hope this helps,

Tom
thank you..

I would love any suggestions for what section to walk for a week.
And, is there a bus or train I can to start? eg: Ferrol, Tui etc... these two routes certainly look like a good alternative option.
From Santiago bus station, I took a bus to Valença, (a few years ago), you then walk from Valença to Tui - it is only a few kilometres. Just checking this minute, I see there is now an Alsa bus to Tui, apparently. It is a lovely walk. So is the walk from Ferrol - take a train from Santiago station. I am sure there are buses too. Far less crowded than the Sarria to Santiago section.

From Santiago bus station, I took a bus to Valença, (a few years ago), you then walk from Valença to Tui - it is only a few kilometres. Just checking this minute, I see there is now an Alsa bus to Tui, apparently. It is a lovely walk. So is the walk from Ferrol - take a train from Santiago station. I am sure there are buses too. Far less crowded than the Sarria to Santiago section.
thank you... both of these walk seem like a great option.... and I can pre book my bus ticket too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the replies. Just to explain a bit more, she will be in Spain
for 6 weeks study purposes. Her dates are fixed but she would like to experience some of the Camino with the view of returning to do more next year. Her concern with the number of people is in regards to accommodation, she is not wanting to be alone or to get the Compostela. It is mainly the logistics of travelling from Malaga and making an easy start on the Camino. I should also add that she is flying back to Australia from Santiago.
I would suggest choosing somewhere between Pamplona and Astroga on the Camino Frances. This should provide a balance of not being seriously overcrowded, but also not lonely to. Gronze is an ideal resource for learning stages and distances.

She has 2 options regarding luggage, either the one you said that is leaving it in Santiago or sending it on day by day, therefore going straight from Malaga to the starting point of the walk.

If you plan to stay in mostly public albergues you may not have to worry too much as this post suggests that public and parochial albergues often do not fill up since they cannot be reserved:

Ironically, as more and more pilgrims have taken to booking ahead, the traditional albergues are finding they are not always as full as they used to be. If the muni or donativo is full (some towns have both), there will be private albergues and budget hotels nearby, or you can walk on to the next stop on the route. At least on the Francés there will be alternatives not too far away

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone one which bus goes from Santiago to Valenca/Tui on 23rd July? I have searched the few I could find online but I can't find any buses going that day yet.
I would love any links or bus company names that you know travel this day.
Or, any private shuttle companies I can pay to take me there.
Thank you in advance.
Do I need to prebook a bus... or if I turn up at the Santiago bus station I can get a ticket easy enough?
I would like to confirm though... that I bus actually goes on this day... I can't find that info yet.

Last edited:
If you plan to stay in mostly public albergues you may not have to worry too much as this post suggests that public and parochial albergues often do not fill up since they cannot be reserved:
So when posts talk about 'pre-booking' they are not talking about the albergues.... is this correct?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Does anyone one which bus goes from Santiago to Valenca/Tui on 23rd July? I have searched the few I could find online but I can't find any buses going that day yet.
Thank you in advance.
Do I need to prebook a bus... or if I turn up at the Santiago bus station I can get a ticket easy enough?
I would like to confirm though... that I bus actually goes on this day... I can't find that info yet.
You may be too early for bus booking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So when posts talk about 'pre-booking' they are not talking about the albergues.... is this correct?
They are talking about private albergues, pensiones, hotels, etc. rather than municipal or parochial albergues which usually don't take reservations.

There's absolutely no way to predict pilgrim numbers at any given time. I've walked the traditionally busy season only to find myself alone on the path in some sections and the lone pilgrim in an albergue.
You gotta just jump into it feet first and do it. Not overthink. Besides, no room at the inn is an inconvenience, not life or death.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's absolutely no way to predict pilgrim numbers at any given time. I've walked the traditionally busy season only to find myself alone on the path in some sections and the lone pilgrim in an albergue.
You gotta just jump into it feet first and do it. Not overthink. Besides, no room at the inn is an inconvenience, not life or death.
ooooo thank you... yes I really just want to turn up and walk... and let the rest sort itself out without me overthinking it.... if I know Ill be okay finding a bed someway... Ill be good... I was just getting the impressing from these forums that the busy season is crazy and you might get stranded with no bed!
I really just want to be able to relax and walk and embrace the experience.
And, I know if I can't find a bed at once place... I might have to taxi to somewhere that has a bed! Which I can deal with if needed... yes - its not life or death! A part of the camino journey. Thank you for your comment...

ooooo thank you... yes I really just want to turn up and walk... and let the rest sort itself out without me overthinking it.... if I know Ill be okay finding a bed someway... Ill be good... I was just getting the impressing from these forums that the busy season is crazy and you might get stranded with no bed!
And, I know if I can't find a bed at once place... I might have to taxi to somewhere that has a bed! Which I can deal with if needed... yes - its not life or death! A part of the camino journey. Thank you for your comment...
There is a real freedom to allowing the day to unfold before you.

Also there's nothing wrong with making a reservation at a private albergue if it does appear as though you will need to.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you in advance.
From memory, I think it was Alsa. Have a look at http://rome2rio.com/
If you are in Santiago the day before, walk to the bus station (next to the railway station), the people there are very helpful And you can buy your ticket ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back