• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soft tips for new walkers

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - here we are in 2024 and those plans are being dusted off .. I thought it might be helpful to start a thread of 'soft' tips for newby pilgrims going first time long days with a pack on Camino ... so.

1. We tend to enter a town at the end of the day, tired, sweaty, and back into the traffic - so I always stop at the edge of a town and sit down. Take my flannel out and wet it and cool my face and head, and any other exposed skin, drink water ... really wakes one up .. a few minutes and then up again all fresh and off safely into the traffic!

2. It can be very easy to become narrowly focussed on the next stop or where we are staying that night .. it tends to make us rush .. to counteract this every now and then take a break at the top of a hill - shoes and socks off - and look back to where you have come from - the distances will be surprising and it is really empowering.

3. Never try to walk alongside someone who walks a slightly bit faster than you. You have your own pace and if you increase it you will become strained whereas the faster walker won't - so if a couple always walk at the slower persons' speed.

4. Whenever you get to a water source check that it is working and then drink up your bottles first to properly hydrate and then refill.

5. ????

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
5…..No matter how desperate you are for a cafe con leche, sustenance, the loo, whatever….. remember that the first cafe/bar that you come across in a village or small town is often way from being the best…..be patient!

6. Have a treat in your pack for the moment you need it. (Depending on the season it best be something that is good warm or cold). For me thats usually a can of Coke, some Oreos or some licorish / gummi bears (that the right word?). Especially good with tip #2.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
7. On the all-too-important topic of water, respectfully, many of the solutions one will find are 20th Century modalities. I found a Nalgene water bottle (lightweight and durable) w/ integrated water filter by www.epicwaterfilters.com/collections/bottles.

I trekked the whole length of the CF and loved that this filter eliminated horrible chlorine and other tastes that might accompany tap water, and allayed any concerns I had about dodgier looking potable water fountains. Plus, it’s super convenient, cost-efficient, and environmentally stellar.

I considered it an 85-90% solution, w/ water bottles augmenting the remainder for special circumstances, such as dissolvable supplements, etc. Cheers!

9. There is a difference between a bocadillo (sandwich) and a sandwich. The former is made on a baguette and the latter with the most bland sliced white bread imaginable. The former has a rough texture and is more safely consumed upside down (the sandwich not you) and the latter should be avoided at all costs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
8a. If you have your phone or a flashlight in the bathroom with you, that can be very helpful in a windowless bathroom if the motion sensor is not very sensitive.

12. Remember to occasionally look back, especially when you have climbed a hill, and see your progress.

13. Always give yourself more time than you think you will need. There may be unexpected delays and the last thing you want is to find yourself racing to your destination. You can apply this to an individual day or to the whole Camino.

G'Day David, happy new year.
Great post, some really good advice, particularly No 2 & 3. The shoes/boots and outer sock off routine is one I adopted some years back. Its lets the feet "breath" and cool down. Lessens the blister chance.

@David Tallan also remember to look back, look down or look around after your ten minute stop. Make sure you have not dropped something or almost left it behind.
Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
5…..No matter how desperate you are for a cafe con leche, sustenance, the loo, whatever….. remember that the first cafe/bar that you come across in a village or small town is often way from being the best…..be patient!
And sometimes, that first place is the only place! So don't always assume there will be another!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My tips..

5. Carry some food for a bit of flexibility. I stayed in a hostal that was serving a miserable breakfast of coffee, toast and fruit for €5, but i was carrying wine, a banana and trail mix or similar so i set off and had breakfast at Mirador del Alto de Mostelares instead while watching the sun rise.
I'm quite social but a few mornings without bad coffee and the hustle and bustle of the albergue's chucking out time is nice.

6. Don't put yourself under time/distance pressure... Whether it because you only have 5 days so think 200km is doable, or you're near the end and walking fast and covering distance because the end is in sight.. it's not a very spiritual pace if that makes sense.

7. Something i and surely some of the others i walked a long distance with are guilty of... but try not to daydream or plan too much your next holiday. E.g it's raining now but in 7 days I'll be in the algarve.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your body will tell you :rolleyes:

Though on most routes there are some places with lots of sites worth looking at.
CF. Burgos, Leon,
VdlP. Merida, Salamanca
etc etc
Thanks, that’s helpful!

7. Something i and surely some of the others i walked a long distance with are guilty of... but try not to daydream or plan too much your next holiday. E.g it's raining now but in 7 days I'll be in the algarve.
Does this mean we shouldn't start planning our next Camino before we finish this one?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But not super restful places!
Lots of people say "rest days" when they really mean "sightseeing days." 😉

Yes, very good point @trecile !
Spending a day sightseeing is not resting :rolleyes:

I suppose there are really two (or more) different types of 'rest' days.

Enforced Rest Days. When members say things like "your body will tell you" this is probably what they mean. To go on, might cause your body damage or too much pain, maybe you need to seek medical help etc. It might not be just physical of course. You might also be emotionally drained. In those cases I tend to just stop where I need to. Either taking a rest day or walking a short day.

I needed a couple of those on my first Camino, and Pat and I took one in Carrion on our last Frances when she got injured.

Planned Rest Days. In my mind, these are just days to primarily relax a bit and give the body a break from walking 8 hours carrying a pack. I know my body needs these rest days, or 'short' days, I can't just keep going day after day for weeks. So I tend to 'plan' them at a ratio of maybe 1 per week or 10 days. They are kind of 'buffer' days as well. Allowing me to build in a bit of flexibility for the unexpected.

So those 'planned' rest days also tend to be in larger places, where rather than just put my feet up all day, I can do a bit of sightseeing. Or find nice food!

It's probably these days that most new Pilgrims mean, when they ask about places to stop for rest days.
Mainly sightseeing, but a bit of a rest too. (maybe equal priorities for me)

So on my last Camino (VdlP-Invierno-Fisterra) the obvious choices (for me at least) were Zafra, Salamanca, Zamora, Ponferrada, Santiago. And I did take rest days in those places. Relaxed quite a bit, saw a 'few' sites, caught up on laundry, got some Physio or whatever. A bit of a 'recharge' stop.

Again, good point......... @trecile

In villages, before tactically walking past the first café, just make sure that it's not the last as well🙂

Yes that’s me! I only took 1 rest day, in Leon, as I had never been there and it looked great. I did about the same amount of walking around the city as I do on a normal Camino day. I guess it can be restful from a mental standpoint (ambling around a city is definately psychologically different to a destination driven day) but not optimal for resting the legs!

But you can leave your pack at your overnight stop 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
G'Day David, happy new year.
Great post, some really good advice, particularly No 2 & 3. The shoes/boots and outer sock off routine is one I adopted some years back. Its lets the feet "breath" and cool down. Lessens the blister chance.

@David Tallan also remember to look back, look down or look around after your ten minute stop. Make sure you have not dropped something or almost left it behind.
Cheers
And when I put the socks back on, I put them on the opposite feet. They feel so new.

Thanks to all the talk about socks i remembered another one:

16: Get equipment in unusual colors. There is the ocasional mix-up on the clothesline. And even if not, your bright red boxers and neon striped socks will be a lot easier to find between all the variatons of dark grey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3. Never try to walk alongside someone who walks a slightly bit faster than you. You have your own pace and if you increase it you will become strained whereas the faster walker won't - so if a couple always walk at the slower persons' speed.
as for your number 3, I travel at a slightly faster pace than my spouse. My legs are long and hers are short. If I slow down to match her pace for a short while (10-15 minutes), it's ok. For any longer, slowing my natural hiking pace causes my legs to tire and strain. We agree to hike at our own paces but keep each other in sight. Sometimes she will depart a rest stop a bit before me and has no issues with me passing her while we travel.

#?a If your familia is developing, discuss tomorrow's destination or lunch stop. You are unlikely to all walk at the same pace, at least you will be able to meet during the day.

#?b Don't forget to look up. Spain has some beautiful birds!

#?c Shade. Seek out shade for your rest breaks.

#?d If you can find safe access to a creek or river, that's a great time to give your feet a nice cool dip in the water. (A friend and I found a spot with no one around to pause. By the time we left there were 7 other pilgrims that followed our lead!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If Liquorice is not available, consider Red Vines.
Yeah, i wasnt sure about the exact term in english. Those sweet, stringy jelly things that practically every spanish supermarket carries. Doesn't get bad, doesn't melt, lots of sugar for a quick energy and/or morale boost and there usually is a picture of some fruit on the packaging so it must be healthy as well ;-)

I can attest to #3. On my last camino in 2019, I walked out from Fromista with a young woman and we were having a very interesting conversation. She walked at a slightly faster pace than I, but I was keeping up ok. I thought. I realized that she was 50 years younger than I -- how amazing! And then all of a sudden I could no longer walk. Instantly I had a bad bout of sciatica. This basically ended my camino. So please don't try to keep up with someone who walks faster than you, even by a little bit!

Although sometimes it’s the only one or only one open. So be prepared to double back!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Enforced Rest Days. When members say things like "your body will tell you" this is probably what they mean. To go on, might cause your body damage or too much pain, maybe you need to seek medical help etc. It might not be just physical of course. You might also be emotionally drained. In those cases I tend to just stop where I need to. Either taking a rest day or walking a short day.

I needed a couple of those on my first Camino, and Pat and I took one in Carrion on our last Frances when she got injured.

Planned Rest Days. In my mind, these are just days to primarily relax a bit and give the body a break from walking 8 hours carrying a pack. I know my body needs these rest days, or 'short' days, I can't just keep going day after day for weeks. So I tend to 'plan' them at a ratio of maybe 1 per week or 10 days. They are kind of 'buffer' days as well. Allowing me to build in a bit of flexibility for the unexpected.

So those 'planned' rest days also tend to be in larger places, where rather than just put my feet up all day, I can do a bit of sightseeing. Or find nice food!

It's probably these days that most new Pilgrims mean, when they ask about places to stop for rest days.

So on my last Camino (VdlP-Invierno-Fisterra) the obvious choices (for me at least) were Zafra, Salamanca, Zamora, Ponferrada, Santiago. And I did take rest days in those places. Relaxed quite a bit, saw a 'few' sites, caught up on laundry, got some Physio or whatever. A bit of a 'recharge' stop.

Thank you again for your input. You are absolutely right, I am planning my planed rest days.😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you’ve got that stabbing pain in between your shoulder blades, put on your ear buds and listen to a good walking song. Two that shuffle delivered to me at exactly the right moment were: You really got me by the Kinks and Rihanna’s Please don’t stop the music. You will loosen up those muscles within a few steps!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
--If you're going to take a "rest day", then book a private room. Sleep until 10, go get some food, come back and take a nap, drink some beer, take another nap. It's never "restful" in hostels with 20 other people wandering about. If you want to sightsee, then book TWO days there and sightsee on the second day. SLEEP is just so crucial for long distance hiking.
--If you want to keep up with a person(s) you like, and they're faster than you, then just agree to meet up somewhere for lunch, or meet at the town you're going to stay for the night. Don't try to walk faster to try to keep up with them during the day. Conversely, walking slower (for me) is paradoxically MORE fatiguing. Just agree to meet up. Many people are not fast, but they make up for that by being able to walk LONGER. I've seen this many times when a group of 22 year olds will be like jack rabbits, but then they take a 2 hour lunch and I pass them again.

If you aren't assigned a bed upon check-in to the Albergue, and you have a choice of bunks in which to sleep in a large room, the bunk nearest the entry door or nearest to the bathroom may seem to be good choices, but they aren't. They really, really aren't. That is, of course, unless you are the one who wakes at 4am to leave early or the one to visit the loo in the middle of the night, then by all means, please select these bunks. 😆

--If you're going to take a "rest day", then book a private room. Sleep until 10, go get some food, come back and take a nap, drink some beer, take another nap. It's never "restful" in hostels with 20 other people wandering about. If you want to sightsee, then book TWO days there and sightsee on the second day. SLEEP is just so crucial for long distance hiking.
--If you want to keep up with a person(s) you like, and they're faster than you, then just agree to meet up somewhere for lunch, or meet at the town you're going to stay for the night. Don't try to walk faster to try to keep up with them during the day. Conversely, walking slower (for me) is paradoxically MORE fatiguing. Just agree to meet up. Many people are not fast, but they make up for that by being able to walk LONGER. I've seen this many times when a group of 22 year olds will be like jack rabbits, but then they take a 2 hour lunch and I pass them again.
If you are going to take a rest day, do the opposite of what I tend to do, which is to sleep the night of my arrival in the albergue and the next night in a hotel. That is the exact opposite of what I should do (and will eventually learn to do on Caminos). You want the first night in the hotel so that you can stay out late doing a nice tapas circuit and sleeping in the following morning. Then, sometime the next day, you check out of the hotel and into an albergue so that you can get an early to bed night and an early start for your next day of walking.

I find that I don't have an exact perfect walking pace but rather a range that works for me. I can walk with someone a bit faster than me without problems all day if they are within the top limit of that range. But if they are beyond that, I will need, sooner or later, to fall behind and let them walk ahead. Presumably the same is true with those walking slower, although I haven't encountered that problem yet.

14. Don't be freaked out if there is no toilet seat. It happens sometimes. Just hover.

If you are going to take a rest day, do the opposite of what I tend to do, which is to sleep the night of my arrival in the albergue and the next night in a hotel. That is the exact opposite of what I should do (and will eventually learn to do on Caminos). You want the first night in the hotel so that you can stay out late doing a nice tapas circuit and sleeping in the following morning. Then, sometime the next day, you check out of the hotel and into an albergue so that you can get an early to bed night and an early start for your next day of walking.

I find that I don't have an exact perfect walking pace but rather a range that works for me. I can walk with someone a bit faster than me without problems all day if they are within the top limit of that range. But if they are beyond that, I will need, sooner or later, to fall behind and let them walk ahead. Presumably the same is true with those walking slower, although I haven't encountered that problem yet.
Or just spend every night in a hotel! :)

15. It is said a lot, but is worth repeating. If you get a hot spot on your feet. Stop. Treat it right away. Walking on because it's 'only' a few more kms is a fast way to get blisters.
And be mindful that a hot spot can appear after three weeks of blisterless walking. It did with me, and it didn’t occur to me what was happening until it was too late.

Also, I think there’s a theory (and I have to pay more attention to this when I walk again) that one may be less prone to develop tendinitis / shin splints if one takes in sufficient water / electrolytes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
*This.* Especially if you're walking *with* someone. It's the very rare couple (and they write books about it) who actually take every step together. Most others agree to meet up at various points, or at the end of the day, depending.

I was undoubtedly the slowest pace on the Primitivo during my days in late September 2023. But I rarely took a long break, and thus regularly passed those who'd earlier passed me. I still met up with them at my destination between 1600-1730 on all my long days. Since I had had to make reservations in order to ship my pack, that arrival time was sustainable.

16. If you are sleeping in an Albergue, look around for a sign that indicates the "curfew" or "closing hours". They will lock the door. Staying out too late and getting locked out of an albergue is sort of a rite of passage, but not the best way to introduce yourself to your fellow pilgrims. (banging on the door). :)

It's the very rare couple (and they write books about it) who actually take every step together.
Last time on the Norte I met a man from some northern European country (can't remember which one) who recognized me from this forum and thus we spoke a good deal. He told me that he and his wife were both on the camino. I asked where she was and he said, "Pamplona" or something like that... they both were walking in Spain at the same time, but doing two entirely different caminos! I thought that was so cool.

Before leaving the albergue in the morning check under and around your bunk for anything inadvertently left behind. If it's early, please do this without waking everyone up.

Pack as much as possible the night before, and take everything out I to a common area to finish up. Please for the love of God don't turn on the room lights in the dorm before a reasonable waking time.

Avoid plastic bags for packing. You will drive everyone else nuts with the crinkle crinkle crinkle.

It's your camino. Walk as suits your body best.
It's everyone's camino. It's easy to get absorbed in one's own journey, but 300,000 people walk each year. We're not so special - nor are we entitled to anything just because we call ourselves pilgrims. Being considerate may be going out of fashion but kindness is one of the best things about the camino - as is getting out of that bubble of 'me first.'

You want the first night in the hotel so that you can stay out late doing a nice tapas circuit and sleeping in the following morning. Then, sometime the next day, you check out of the hotel and into an albergue so that you can get an early to bed night and an early start for your next day of walking
Or what I do instead of full rest days is two short days in a row, sleeping in a hotel the night between those days. I get to my first destination by noon and either check in or drop off my backpack if my room isn't ready. I can then go to lunch and explore the town. Maybe a nap in the afternoon before joining friends for a tapas crawl or a later than normal (for a pilgrim) dinner. Next morning I can sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast then start out at a later than normal time to do another short stage.
If you are sleeping in an Albergue, look around for a sign that indicates the "curfew" or "closing hours". They will lock the door
Been there, done that! But in my defense, when I checked in, then left for dinner the door was left open and the sign stating the closing time was on the back of the door that wasn't visible.
Last time on the Norte I met a man from some northern European country (can't remember which one) who recognized me from this forum and thus we spoke a good deal. He told me that he and his wife were both on the camino. I asked where she was and he said, "Pamplona" or something like that... they both were walking in Spain at the same time, but doing two entirely different caminos! I thought that was so cool.
I met a man on the Norte who was walking with his brother while their wives were on the Camino Francés.

It's your camino...
It's everyone's camino
I am going to start using this phrase.
. It's easy to get absorbed in one's own journey, but 300,000 people walk each year.
Much more than 300,000.
Close to 450,000 Compostelas were issued last year, and that doesn't count people who don't collect a Compostela ir who don't reach Santiago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I got horribly sick on the Via Podiensis last fall, something I have no desire to repeat, especially when it’s a day on open fields, with no tree or bush cover.
Something to remember is that it's probably more likely that hikers get food poisoning from sketchy eateries, than drinking from "potable" water fountains.
I suppose if people are particularly worried, they could ask their doctor for a Flagyl treatment to be taken in case of extreme diarrhea.
The MacDaddy water filter for traveling in foreign countries is the MSR Guardian. I used it on the CDT when drawing water directly from "cow ponds" with visible cow pies right there in the water. (not the best water source). And that filter will also backflush. (but unlikely needed in France or Spain)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Soft tips for new walkers
Exactly David. Walk with soft tips on walking sticks when going through towns and villages, especially in the morning. Treat the locals right and the arrows won't get moved.

when I checked in, then left for dinner the door was left open and the sign stating the closing time was on the back of the door that wasn't visible.
That worked well too when the barrack facilities got inspected by the officers. When they pushed the stall doors open to inspect the toilets they never noticed the pinup on the back of one of the doors.

15. When in doubt (about the location you are in, the location of the albergue, the nearest lavanderia, farmacia, banca, where to catch the bus/train etc etc) ask whoever is working at the bar.
I've heard the nicely clad white jacket persons at the farmacia may offer the best advice.

If you need a power adapter to suit Spain/Portugal, tape it to your charger so you don't inadvertently leave it behind.
Bring some safety pins, for hanging washing on a line or sometimes on your backpack the next day.
There is wisdom in the saying that goes something like :-
"The first week works your body, the second week works your mind and the third week tests your spirit"
And finally, don't worry - there is always a bed somewhere.

8a. If you have your phone or a flashlight in the bathroom with you, that can be very helpful in a windowless bathroom if the motion sensor is not very sensitive.

12. Remember to occasionally look back, especially when you have climbed a hill, and see your progress.

13. Always give yourself more time than you think you will need. There may be unexpected delays and the last thing you want is to find yourself racing to your destination. You can apply this to an individual day or to the whole Camino.
Waving your arms around over your head madly in the bathroom usually works to get the motion sensors attention. I can attest to the inconvenience of having the bathroom light go off when you are far from the switch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really don't know but I've seen reports on the forum that there is a decent chance that you can find an English speaker employed at pharmacies.
99% true. In 11 Caminos and dozens of pharmacy visits, I only once on the Del Norte was in a pharmacy where no one spoke English, but we still communicated OK.

Lots of people say "rest days" when they really mean "sightseeing days."
Exactly what I was going to say. Thankfully I never have needed a rest day, and would need to be ill to do that, but I always plan for a few sightseeing days while walking a Camino. I travel too far to avoid giving more time to special well known touristy cities, whether large or small.
That said, I am always eager to finally be on my way again after taking a day off, and prefer sightseeing before or after my walk is over, when possible.

Last edited:
Slow down everyone. Take a nap along the trail; take a rest day as often as you can . . . . It is your Camino as well as everyone's Camino. What you will come to love is knowing that you shared a journey, and it was "our" Camino you shared.

Exactly what I was going to say. Thankfully I never have needed a rest day, and would need to be ill to do that, but I always plan for a few sightseeing days while walking a Camino. I travel too far to avoid giving more time to special well known touristy cities, whether large or small.
That said, I am always eager to finally be on my way again after taking a day off, and prefer sightseeing before or after my walk is over, when possible.

What you described is actually what many people would call a rest day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
17. Girls, learn yourself and practice to pee with your backpack on. Do some deep squats and train balance for some time, really useful.

And for Gods sake: take that paper with you!!
I can easily squat and "go" while wearing my backpack. It's the getting my undies back up underneath the weight of the backpack that is no fun, but I have done it when necessary.

Did you say bears?! 😳
Bears and wolves😉 Last year there was a bear wandering around the suburbs of Ponferrada. NW Spain is one of the last great wildernesses in Western Europe and long may it continue. They are far more likely to see you than you are them btw.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

In Sevilla I had a planned rest day, going sightseeing all day, before starting out the next day. It eventually got me so bad blisters I had to take 4 forced rest days in Merida...

Bears and wolves😉 Last year there was a bear wandering around the suburbs of Ponferrada. NW Spain is one of the last great wildernesses in Western Europe and long may it continue. They are far more likely to see you than you are them btw.
Well, a phobia is an irrational fear and that is what I have..."it is what it is" for me and I doubt I will be able to change it at this stage of my life, but I appreciate your input.

Thanks to all the talk about socks i remembered another one:

16: Get equipment in unusual colors. There is the ocasional mix-up on the clothesline. And even if not, your bright red boxers and neon striped socks will be a lot easier to find between all the variatons of dark grey.
I'll definitely stay away from hanging up pink boxers for drying...

Well, a phobia is an irrational fear and that is what I have..."it is what it is" for me and I doubt I will be able to change it at this stage of my life, but I appreciate your input.
I wouldn't say a fear of wild animals is irrational, it's a survival instinct. Fellow pilgrims are statistically more dangerous than the wolves or bears though.

If you aren't assigned a bed upon check-in to the Albergue, and you have a choice of bunks in which to sleep in a large room, the bunk nearest the entry door or nearest to the bathroom may seem to be good choices, but they aren't. They really, really aren't. That is, of course, unless you are the one who wakes at 4am to leave early or the one to visit the loo in the middle of the night, then by all means, please select these bunks. 😆
It depends.

Some/many albergues have dorms on upper floors. I remember municipals like in Viana, Navarrete, Burgos, Leon, etc. ICE you will have to walk the stairs. If they are burning, so are you.

Even smaller crampy albergues like in Boadilla del Camino on ground floor only. In an emergency, there will be panic in a crampy place. Better to leave first than last... or not at all.

No matter what: forget taking your backpack/shoes with you: Only valuables like phone, cards, passport, which anyway should be inside your sleeping bag at night. Just get out of there as fast as you can.

In case of fire/emergency evacuation, you will want to be as near an exit point as possible, not being the last person in line to leave. Time is a lifesaver.. I always check exits/windows/possibilities/emergency plans/location of fire extinguishers after check-in, before choosing my bed..

In places like these mentioned above, I always take a bed as close to the exit as possible.

Edit: I just mention this bc, as a skipper on tourist boats for +15 years, I am trained in fire protection/panic management/rescue. And I have had to use my knowledge in real-life. With good training, rehersals, and good understanding of the situation, all went well.

Edit2: The municipal albergue in Castrojeriz is a good example of a "safe" place: One large dorm, on ground floor, beds placed along the walls, large free floor space, and just a few m. walk away from its open terrace and stairs down to the plaza. I always take a bed away from the toilets there :) .

Last edited:
No way! I always thought Europe had lost all its predators! I've never seen anything like that!

The ones I get worried about are the Wild Boars... :)

€46,-
No way! I always thought Europe had lost all its predators! I've never seen anything like that!

No, NW Spain was the last bastion of such beasts (there and the Apennines of Italy). Populations started rebounding as the humans started deserting the rural areas in favour of the city's to seek fortune. Then came the added protections under the Bern Convention to start trying to undo some of the damage we've done to our world. But the success story is in danger of being rewritten as farmers struggle or simply refuse to live along side these animals.

And yes, statistically you are far more likely to suffer injury from a wild boar or escaped lion from a circus.

more likely that hikers get food poisoning from sketchy eateries, than drinking from "potable" water fountains.

19?) Just use judgement before ordering those tasty looking fried chicken wings under the glass counter at some random bar. And if they put them in the microwave, ask them to put them back for like another 2 minutes...

Never had an issue with tortilla... I think they make those like every day...

It depends.

Some/many albergues have dorms on upper floors. I remember municipals like in Viana, Navarrete, Burgos, Leon, etc. Even smaller crampy albergues like in Boadilla del Camino on ground floor only. In an emergency, there will be panic in a crampy place. Better to leave first than last... or not at all.

In case of fire/emergency evacuation, you will want to be as near an exit point as possible, not being the last person in line to leave. I always check exits/windows/possiblities/emergency plans/location of fire extinguishers after check-in/before choosing my bed..

In places like these mentioned above, I always take a bed as close to the exit as possible.

Edit: I just mention this bc, as a skipper on tourist boats for +15 years, I am trained in fire protection/panic management/rescue.
I don't disagree at all. I was speaking in 'general', if not lighthearted, terms. Clearly, in specific situations - like those you mention - one must weigh the pros and cons based on any number of factors unique to that persons experience, situation and context, including level of acceptable risk to personal safety. 👍🏻

...and if you find yourself following pilegrim trails in Norway or Sweden...
* after grazing all day on blåbær, bringebær, multebær, jordbær and tyttebær don't forget to clean your teeth before entering town. A pocket mirror might come in handy.

I don't disagree at all. I was speaking in 'general', if not lighthearted, terms. Clearly, in specific situations - like those you mention - one must weigh the pros and cons based on any number of factors unique to that persons experience, situation and context, including level of acceptable risk to personal safety. 👍🏻
We don't disagree: I will also often prefer to stay away from the paths some pilgrims use for nightly bath visits/early leaving. It can be annoying when you are awakened at night when you need the sleep before next day's walk. But when in doubt, I choose security. I act instinctively, like a rule we have at sea:

If you are in doubt, act as if there is no doubt. It has saved many lives.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I need the citation
I personally can't offer a citation. Only anecdotal. But I've never seen a bear or wolf. (maybe they saw me?)

I have seen wild boars tho. I just think of "Game of Thrones", first season, when they race by me.

But I do agree, humans are the ones to be scared about. Especially the one ones carrying shotguns hunting said wild boars. I try to make my presence known as loudly as possible.

I personally can't offer a citation. Only anecdotal. But I've never seen a bear or wolf. (maybe they saw me?)

I have seen wild boars tho. I just think of "Game of Thrones", first season, when they race by me.

But I do agree, humans are the ones to be scared about. Especially the one ones carrying shotguns hunting said wild boars. I try to make my presence known as loudly as possible.
I guess I was more interested in the incidence of attacks from the escaped circus lions....!
Does anybody know that amount people have been attacked by escaped circus lions while walking the Camino? Do I need to worry about this? Is there a special spray?

I guess I was more interested in the incidence of attacks from the escaped circus lions....!
Does anybody know that amount people have been attacked by escaped circus lions while walking the Camino? Do I need to worry about this? Is there a special spray?
Ok, that post is probably the most I've ever laughed out loud after reading. Well done!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't unfortunately have the exact statistics to hand, but this topic does tie in very relevantly to the other ongoing debate of whether you should be walking with a fully laden back pack which would thus render you more susceptible to such scenarios. Potential escaped circus animal attacks seem to have been blissfully ignored during the lively backpack debate.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back