• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statistics - July 2017

D

Deleted member 3000

It was a record-setting July. The increase was about 4.4% over 2016. The rolling 12-month increase is under 1%, which is typical (the rolling increase smooths each month's effect). There is no reason to think that the rest of the year will not set records. The male/female split is now 50% after years where men slightly outnumbered the women (actually, about 300 more men than women, but it now rounds to 50/50).

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/

The "typo" for Camino Invierno and coastal Portugues camino continues.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks. Since I'm a numbers type, I love this. Now I've even bookmarked the page.

Thanks for the link. Any difference here, or just a typo?
(1a) Portugues Costa Camino con 911
(1b) Costa Camino Portugues con 73
(2a) Camino de Invierno con 53
(2b) Invierno de Camino con 2
Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the info! It's hard to believe that the numbers for men and women are 50/50. It always seems like there are way more women than men.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's reassuring and inspiring from my perspective to see that over 90% of pilgrim arrivals still list their motivation as religious, religious/cultural. Very much a silent majority but nonetheless an overwhelming one!

De colores

Bogong

It's reassuring and inspiring from my perspective to see that over 90% of pilgrim arrivals still list their motivation as religious, religious/cultural. Very much a silent majority but nonetheless an overwhelming one!

I hate to be the cynical one, but I wonder if some people list that because they are afraid of not getting a Compostela otherwise. :/
Impressive number, anyway!

I hate to be the cynical one, but I wonder if some people list that because they are afraid of not getting a Compostela otherwise. :/
Impressive number, anyway!

I am happy to list my motivation as "spiritual" in order to be eligible for the genuine (Latin) Compostela rather than the translation version offered to those who do not identify a religious/cultural/spiritual motivation.

Organised religion does not have exclusive ownership of spirituality. My 'spiritual' motivation has no basis in religion or faith, but rather recognising the opportunity afforded by mild physical exertion in a defined and predictable environment for introspection and reflection. I do not expect to find "God" (however defined) but rather to let my mind wander wherever it chooses and tease apart and resolve whatever it wishes...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Organised religion does not have exclusive ownership of spirituality.

I totally agree. My comment was just because so many people want that piece of paper for the most varied reasons that it makes me question if they answer truthfully. I really hope so.

Let's face it, the more things you bundle together, the greater the number of people who identify with the bundle will be. One can then use this nebulous number and try to use it to claim that it really one of those things that is driving things.

In this case, add to religon "spiritual" and "cultural", and you can tell the world there are tens of thousands walking for religious reasons and that the religious pilgrimage is having a great renewal.

If the Cathedral really wanted to know how many are walking for religious reason, it would separate that reason from all others. And of the religious document was "uglier" than the other, I am willing to bet that fewer people would be claiming to walk for that purpose. It's in fact what was suggested I do the first time I walked into Santiago, when the "religious/spiritual" document was brown and plain. o_O

I totally agree. My comment was just because so many people want that piece of paper for the most varied reasons that it makes me question if they answer truthfully. I really hope so.

G'day Anamya,

The translation I have of the Compostela:

"The chapter of this holy apostolic metropolitan Cathedral of St James, custodian of the seal of St James' altar, to all faithful and pilgrims who come from everywhere over the world as an act of devotion, under vow or promise to the Apostle's tomb, our patron and protector of Spain,witnesses in the sight of all who read this document that (name) has visited devoutly this sacred church in a religious sense (pietatis causa).

Witness whereof I hand this document over to (him/her), authenticated by the seal of this sacred church.

Given in St James of Compostela on the (date)."

Note "Faithful... act of devotion...vow or promise...visited devoutly...in a religious sense".

It leaves practically no scope for wriggle room. I really hope with you that most, indeed all,people answer truthfully.

De colores

Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Apart from the fact that you can get the Compostela before you have even visited the Cathedral, I would assume that most recipients fulfill the requirement of visiting the Cathedral in a devout manner. Some may not even be aware that they are expected to go there ...

Which percentage would one get if one asked whether religious motives are the main let alone only reason for their pilgrimage?

On one of my C. Santo Domingo de la Calzada was celebrating its 900'year jubilee. There was a large banner on the church explaining the requirements to obtain an indulgence. You had to visit the crypt, pray for the Pope and ... go to ... confession!:eek: Funny, not many pilgrims queuing to go to confession. o_O

My guess, is that if you handed out the ""walking for secular reasons Compostela" after people came out of confession that perhaps a maximum of 5% would get it. You just have to look at the queues to go " hug" the Saint vs how empty the crypt is. No queuing there. :(

explaining the requirements to obtain an indulgence. You had to visit the crypt, pray for the Pope and ... go to ... confession
I think some of those have always been the requirement for an indulgence. Non-Catholics rarely want one...

The Compostela is not an indulgence, of course. In the Holy Year:

The Plenary Indulgence (also known as “The Jubilee”)

The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession). An indulgence is the full remission of all temporal punishment (time spent in purgatory) up to that point in a person’s life. Individuals can gain Plenary Indulgences for themselves and also for the deceased.

In order to gain the Jubilee Indulgence individuals must:
  • Visit the Cathedral of Santiago where lies the Tomb of St. James the Great.
  • Say a prayer: at least the Apostle’s Creed, the Our Father and a prayer for the intentions of the Pope. It is also recommended that the individual attend Mass.
  • Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation (go to confession) and Eucharist (go to communion) within the 15 days before or after the visit to the Cathedral.
  • Indulgences can be gained at other times in the year through the performance of other acts of devotion. These are outlined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Note that a Compostela is not a requirement.:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was a record-setting July. [...]The "typo" for Camino Invierno and coastal Portugues camino continues.
Typos permitting, and unless they are substantial, the end of July year-to-date pilgrim arrivals appear as follows:

Pilgrim arrivals statistics: January - July 2017

July closed with an overall increase, compared to the same period in 2016, of 4% with year-to-date (Y-t-d) figures for the year + 9%.

The Y-t-d Camino Frances pilgrims increased by only 3%, with a decrease in long range pilgrims (SJPP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona: - 3%). In compensation, Ytd starters from Sarria increased substantially (+ 11%).

Noticeable increases are Y-t-d arrivals from other Caminos. Particularly those walking the Portugues (approx. 35’000) are showing an increase of 27% compared to last year. They represented 22% of all Santiago arrivals.

Pilgrims who had chosen other Caminos numbered approximately 9’000 Norte (+ 7%), 7’000 Primitivo (+ 19%), 6’000 Ingles (+ 13%), 5’500 VdlP (no change), and few on the Invierno and other Caminos.

Banning disasters, the trend is set this year for over 300’000 arrivals.

Re: typos about VdlP do the PO keep details for three (if starting before Zamora) possible ways:
- classic VdlP via Astorga,
- Sanabres from Granja de Moreruela,
- VdlP Portugues from Zamora via Braganca and Verin?

Or it is just a starting point anywhere on the VdlP that matters and all that starts before Zamora are all put in VdlP stats???

Maybe @t2andreo could offer some explanation? Anyway thanks for all the clearances about Compostelas and PO so far!!!

I sometimes ask myself why I bother continuing to collect the Compostela each year. And the unimpressive answer is that I still get a little rush when, at the beginning of mass next day, I hear of "Uno del Reino Unido, desde Almería" (or wherever). The other is looking at the annual statistics and wondering where they've described my departure place - Almería, Tortosa and even, I think, Alicante, do not figure. Wonder what they'll say about Tarifa this year ...

It was a surprisingly huge emotion, on my first camino, in the last Holy Year, walking for my recently deceased mother, speaking little Spanish and not expecting it at all, when I heard "Uno del Reino Unido, desde Sevilla" and thought, "gosh, that must be me!"

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The way I read the Latin text of the Compostela and the translation is that "faithful", "act of devotion", "vow or promise" refers to those who take note of the Compostela, not to the recipient.
Kathar1na,

The following is thr French translation of the Compostela text as found on the saint-jacques.info site, and in it there is little doubt that it is infact the recipients, not the issuer, who must walk with faith, in an act of devotion or promise. The word mu(e) can be "accorder" based on the pilgrim's gender.

Voici la traduction du texte de cette Compostela

«Le chapitre de cette bienheureuse église métropolitaine et apostolique de Compostelle, garde des sceaux de l'autel du Bienheureux Apôtre Jacques, afin de délivrer à tous les Fidèles et Pèlerins du Monde entier, parvenant auprès de saint Jacques, notre Apôtre, patron et protecteur des Espagnes, mus par la dévotion ou par un vœu, un certificat de pèlerinage, au vu des circonstances, certifie que …………, mû(e) par sa foi, a dévotement visité ce très saint Temple. Au nom de cette foi, je lui remets la présente attestation, munie du sceau de cette Sainte Eglise»

The compostela is provided for little to nothing. All the suspicion of the motives of the cathedral and its motives smacks this one as a bit hostile and verging on anti-religious, leaving me wondering why it's not regulated in the same way that are religious comments?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The compostela is provided for little to nothing. All the suspicion of the motives of the cathedral and its motives smacks this one as a bit hostile and verging on anti-religious, leaving me wondering why it's not regulated in the same way that are religious comments?
The compostela is free. The Pilgrim Office added the Distance Certificate for a steady income. Tubes are cheap. Donations are always accepted, and my observation is that most pilgrims make a donation.

The topic comes up regularly, but rarely gets too hostile. Paid clerks were replaced with volunteers a few years ago. They are hard-working and trained, so free people are providing a free commodity, all very much in the Camino spirit.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back