• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble finding accommodation in SJPdP and Orisson . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi all.

Need advice! I have been trying for days to reserve accommodation for myself in St Jean and Orisson but I'm having problems. I had planned to arrive in St Jean on 12 June.

I have checked most auberges in St Jean but according to websites they seem to be already booked out. I have also tried calling directly but no response. I would have liked to have booked into one of the main auberges instead of a hotel a I would like to meet other pilgrims and share the meal in the evening.

I also tried to contact the hostel in Orisson through their website and I have tried calling on numerous occasions but to no avail. I had planned on stopping over there to break up the Route Napoleon.

Have other people had similar difficulties? I'm getting a bit worried now at this stage as I would like to get things sorted ASAP.

My preference for St Jean was the L'Esprit du Chemin but they say their online reservations are booked out with some beds left for arriving pilgrims on the day. Should I just keep trying to ring and try to reserve a bed that way?

Thanks everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Trouble finding accommodation in SJPdP and Orisson . . .

L'Esprit du Chemin always keep a proportion of beds free for those who are walking through from further north in France, who don't tend to know their arrival date in SJPP until they're nearly there. One of the things I liked best about l'Esprit du Chemin was that there was this lovely mix of pilgrims who were nervous and excited about starting next day, and others who had been walking for weeks.
I wouldn't hold my breath about there eventually being a vacancy there, but I also wouldn't panic too much about finding a bed. When you reach SJPP the Pilgrim Office will help you. You might be able to stay in the municipal gîte, which can't be reserved beforehand- or if not, they will help you organise something else.
You might still get a reply from Orisson. This part of May is one of the busiest times for gîtes in France, so they might just be a bit preoccupied.
Margaret

Try this one:
http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/english/

I tried to find accomodation in mid May 2011 and everywhere was full. Hospitalero in one of the albergues gave me this address and I was saved :) Info about the number of beds on this site is a bit misleading I think, because there are several rooms with 2-4 beds per room, some with bunkbeds. The price 12,5€ is right though. And the supermercado (Lidl chain I think) is just a few minutes down the road away from SJPdP.

And if similar happens in Logrono (especially during weekends when the town is packed with domestic party-people and all of pensiones are full also) try in Parroquia de Santiago el Real (donativo w/communal dinner) adjoining Iglesia Santiago, right on the Camino after you cross calle Sagasta.

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Gite Compostelle is a good place. Stark but clean. You could also consider beginning in Roncesvalles. .

I'll start in 10 days from now and I've had the same probleme a couple a weeks ago. L'Esprit du Chemin was all booked, and so was other places. Two days ago I read a post on this forum and I've tried my luck again writing to Gite Ultreia. I was lucky and now I know that I have a rezervation for sure there. You might be lucky as well.
Bune Camino,
S

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

In SJPP you could also try Gite Azkorria, which has a very nice facility and is located between the Pilgrim's Office and the municipal albergue. Contact via email: gite.azkorria50@orange.fr

I just passed through Orisson two days ago, and the others are correct - they are really busy right now as they are full every night. I was able to reserve a spot for June 5, so keep trying via their website. I don't think they are completely booked for June.

Wherever you are able to get a reservation, be sure you write via email to confirm two or three days before your arrival, and give them a conservative estimated arrival time. Particularly at L'Esprit du Chemin, they will cancel your reservation if you do not confirm. And with Orisson, if you do not arrive by the time you specified, they will give away your spot and you will not get a refund.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all.

Need advice! I have been trying for days to reserve accommodation for myself in St Jean and Orisson but I'm having problems. I had planned to arrive in St Jean on 12 June.

I have checked most auberges in St Jean but according to websites they seem to be already booked out. I have also tried calling directly but no response. I would have liked to have booked into one of the main auberges instead of a hotel a I would like to meet other pilgrims and share the meal in the evening.

I also tried to contact the hostel in Orisson through their website and I have tried calling on numerous occasions but to no avail. I had planned on stopping over there to break up the Route Napoleon.

Have other people had similar difficulties? I'm getting a bit worried now at this stage as I would like to get things sorted ASAP.

My preference for St Jean was the L'Esprit du Chemin but they say their online reservations are booked out with some beds left for arriving pilgrims on the day. Should I just keep trying to ring and try to reserve a bed that way?

Thanks everyone.
Hi,
I am having similar problems with finding places to stay in Orrisson and Roncesvalles. I start from SJPDP on the 9th and am, at this point packing my inflatable camping map incase I am not lucky with the short notice call strategy :), I might have to revert to. I was going to just call up the morning of and see if there are any cancelations or later in the day, no shows...

Hi,
I am having similar problems with finding places to stay in Orrisson and Roncesvalles. I start from SJPDP on the 9th and am, at this point packing my inflatable camping map incase I am not lucky with the short notice call strategy :), I might have to revert to. I was going to just call up the morning of and see if there are any cancelations or later in the day, no shows...

Are you considering sleeping on a mat outside the Orisson albergue? Good luck with the weather.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you considering sleeping on a mat outside the Orisson albergue? Good luck with the weather.
Thank you! But perhaps not in Orrisson... :) good point! I might just have to slug through, instead of taking a break....I was just keeping my options open, since it seems that I might have issues with availablity further on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back