• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Underwear - please no boxers

ausmob5

Time of past OR future Camino
For the sake of dignity, please do not wear boxers if you are on an upper bunk. There is just too wiggle room and viewing space from the bunk below as you climb up. And 'Yes' that goes for girls as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the sake of dignity, please do not wear boxers if you are on an upper bunk. There is just too wiggle room and viewing space from the bunk below as you climb up. And 'Yes' that goes for girls as well.
There's no doubt that albergue dormitories are an intimate space, too intimate for many of us, myself included. I wear a pair of lightweight cotton shorts, with a tshirt, for nightwear, indistinguishable from boxers. Being a senior lady, I am always given the bottom bunk. I recommend an ancient monastic practice called "custody of the eyes" in the dormitories. It is a mental as well as a physical practice. To make shared space more comfortable for all, try not to see or hear or smell intimate aspects of other's bodies. It is a most courteous type of "let's pretend." And please do not take photos in dormitories when others are present without their permission. I don't want me in my undies (or less) on youtube.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are more snug-fitting boxer-briefs that should not be as much of an issue.
Maybe it'd best not to watch them getting up on the bunk if it offends you....
Probably best not to watch even if it doesn't offend.
I recommend an ancient monastic practice called "custody of the eyes" in the dormitories. It is a mental as well as a physical practice.
Amen!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I absolutely agree with you all and I love the phrase 'custody of the eyes'. The advice is for those planning their packing rather than those already on their adventure thus the posting in Equipment forum.

There's no doubt that albergue dormitories are an intimate space, too intimate for many of us, myself included. I wear a pair of lightweight cotton shorts, with a tshirt, for nightwear, indistinguishable from boxers. Being a senior lady, I am always given the bottom bunk. I recommend an ancient monastic practice called "custody of the eyes" in the dormitories. It is a mental as well as a physical practice. To make shared space more comfortable for all, try not to see or hear or smell intimate aspects of other's bodies. It is a most courteous type of "let's pretend." And please do not take photos in dormitories when others are present without their permission. I don't want me in my undies (or less) on youtube.
Really like what you've said, particularly the bit about "custody of the eyes" and "let's pretend." Still I'd rather not leave the responsibility to the other person, and I'd opt to wear something safe. Capri length Icebreaker underwear worked well for me; I never worried about climbing those bunks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try not to take a bunk set side by side with another unless you truly know your bunk-mate; if you are sleeping next to a total stranger do at least introduce yourself! Generally it all works out as everyone sleeps in their own allotted space like peas in a pod. Nevertheless a few unhappy times I have had to find another bunk in the middle of the night due to a consistently overactive neighboring pilgrim who forgot where he was (and that I was old enough to be his grandmother) as he zealously thrashed into 'my' bunk space. Although memorable these were not restful moments.

Try not to take a bunk set side by side with another unless you truly know your bunk-mate; if you are sleeping next to a total stranger do at least introduce yourself! Generally it all works out as everyone sleeps in their own allotted space like peas in a pod. Nevertheless a few unhappy times I have had to find another bunk in the middle of the night due to a consistently overactive neighboring pilgrim who forgot where he was (and that I was old enough to be his grandmother) as he zealously thrashed into 'my' bunk space. Although memorable these were not restful moments.
@mspath:
That would be great if one had the choice. I am thinking of one memorable night in the large albergue in Najera, next to a male who was an active sleeper, in touching bunks.

@mspath:
That would be great if one had the choice. I am thinking of one memorable night in the large albergue in Najera, next to a male who was an active sleeper, in touching bunks.

Try not to think about it! I still shudder when recalling how a cool dark night in Ponferada presented the largest 'moon' I have ever seen ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In O'Cebriero on the Eve of St. John, I took a bottom bunk of the 2 x 2 x 2 "cubes" in the municipal. I slept with my head at the end by the ladder so as not be next to the feet of the guy at the other end. The bunk above me was taken by a truly fetching young creation. Around 1am, when the party crowd came in from the commons after drinking heavily and (reportedly) leaping over bowls in which they had lit paper on fire (!), I woke up to the sound of this drunk young woman trying to be quiet (possibly the loudest human activity there is) as she prepared for bed. As she struggled to climb the ladder there by my head, I opened my bleary eyes to what in the dim light looked like any eyeful of womanhood, but might just have been a dream. The next morning I surveyed the floor from her pack to the foot of the ladder. It is possible she wore socks that night . . .

I usually tell that story as "the night the naked lady slept on top of me" and my wife just rolls her eyes.

In O'Cebriero on the Eve of St. John, I took a bottom bunk of the 2 x 2 x 2 "cubes" in the municipal. I slept with my head at the end by the ladder so as not be next to the feet of the guy at the other end. The bunk above me was taken by a truly fetching young creation. Around 1am, when the party crowd came in from the commons after drinking heavily and (reportedly) leaping over bowls in which they had lit paper on fire (!), I woke up to the sound of this drunk young woman trying to be quiet (possibly the loudest human activity there is) as she prepared for bed. As she struggled to climb the ladder there by my head, I opened my bleary eyes to what in the dim light looked like any eyeful of womanhood, but might just have been a dream. The next morning I surveyed the floor from her pack to the foot of the ladder. It is possible she wore socks that night . . .

I usually tell that story as "the night the naked lady slept on top of me" and my wife just rolls her eyes.

@koilife:
I am remembering a story told by a cousin who went across Canada on a train on her honeymoon. She and her husband were in their top bunk one night when a very drunk, totally naked woman erupted into their bunk. She was lost and required assistance, and some temporary loan of garments, to find her own bunk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Post-of-the-Year, koilife. Hilarious!
It put all my 'closeness' stories in the shade, including waking to find two women in the next bed. Several sources later revealed one had been supplied a substance by someone with perhaps less than honorable intentions, and her friends were taking it in turns to keep this very agitated young woman in her own bed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It put all my 'closeness' stories in the shade, including waking to find two women in the next bed. Several sources later revealed one had been supplied a substance by someone with perhaps less than honorable intentions, and her friends were taking it in turns to keep this very agitated young woman in her own bed.
Ouch! For all the humor of our humanity that the Camino highlights, at times it surfaces the depravity too.

laughing at the memory of my sis n i trying to shh and whisper and to keep the giggles inside, it is as you rightly say( the loudest human activity)luckly the only one to give us dirty looks in the morning when we complained about the noise everyone was making getting up was our dad !!ps we should have been more sensible as she is mid 30s me mid 40s,,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i do see what you are talking about BUT certain amounts (I might say large amounts )of dignity does get a little bit lost, you will find yourself in lots of situations whereYOU and your fellow walkers are dressing/undressing , showering in albergues with no curtains,men and women having to pop behind a very slim tree that hides little or nothing for a quick wee,i think most people are too tired and too busy to worry too much about who sees what, within reason,,

Welcome @ausmob5!
Boxer shorts must have made quite an impact on you for this to be your first post!

Possibly a good option for dignity concsious boxer fans would be Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M0MN16/?tag=casaivar02-20

I wore these half the time on the VdlP and received no complaints, but this was in September / October and the albergues were not very crowded (so perhaps not a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions).

Buen Camino!

I find a little flamboyant that people who make efforts to not showing skin or undies, or are worried about who's looking at their movements.

Don't show, don't hide, don't look. Just be natural.

We're adults trekking on a long way, being at albergues implies lowering some levels of exigency.

Well put.

Possibly the most irritating post I ever saw in this forum was one in which a fellow described with great distaste his view of an elderly woman dressing and undressing near his bunk. I was appalled that he was not, as you put it, practicing "custody of the eyes," and especially that he seemed to think that other forum members would enjoy his creative writing.

Really, we are all just variations on the theme. Don't look, and if you do see, so what? look away fast.

Good time to head out to the restaurant. The less time spent meandering around the places where people are dressing, undressing and showering the better!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I glanced at this thread on my iPhone so wasn't logged in and got all the accompanying adverts. Well... I would love to have posted some screenshots here but... they were all underwear ads! and totally unacceptable for the purposes of averting one's eyes!

Shouldn't be looking; certainly shouldn't be 'seeing' even if you accidentally look. @Albertagirl has nailed it.
Yes , I agree wholeheartedly. The last thing I want after a tough days walk is to find some perverted lady spying on me ............ and its such an intrusion - I never want a top bunk again!!;):p:D ....ever!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It reminds me when I was on the Primitivo last year walking with a beautiful Finnish girl. She came out of the showers and told me that when she was washing herself she looked up to see the window wide open and two local men watching her from a window across the street. "Did you close the window" I asked her. "No I just waved" she said. "I hope they are enjoying themselves"!

It seems different nationalities have different ideas of nudity.

It reminds me when I was on the Primitivo last year walking with a beautiful Finnish girl. She came out of the showers and told me that when she was washing herself she looked up to see the window wide open and two local men watching her from a window across the street.
Having never seen a girl with fins before, I understand why they might have stared. :oops:

@Albertagirl I'm a senior man and I lost count of the times I ended up on the top bunk, maybe I look younger thanI really am.
I agree there is an ettiequte in Albergues, always avert the eyes, makes sure you are not inadvertently exposing yourself, and never snore.

Waka... love your etiquette advice .One thing perplexes however how does one go about "never snoring?"

Last edited:

€60,-
Waka... love your etiquette advice .One thing perplexes however how does one go about "never snoring?"
I guess thats the toughest of them all, having said that I was never disturbed by snoring on my 42 days and I did't use ear plugs.
I guess it's the right amount of tiredness coupled with the right amount of alcohol consumption and you'll sleep through anything.

I guess thats the toughest of them all, having said that I was never disturbed by snoring on my 42 days and I did't use ear plugs.
I guess it's the right amount of tiredness coupled with the right amount of alcohol consumption and you'll sleep through anything.
I think I should write a stage guide - 42 days from SJPDP- thats the way I really think it should be done.

OMG... I`m sorry the Boxers offend some... But seriously...

Even trying to ALWAYS take part on the "custody of the eyes" thing... I find that boxers are the least "intimate/intimidating" type of underwear to be used in public...

And I go further on the subject to actually say that its a FACT that boxers ( specially the ones made with special synthetic material) are the best for this sort of activity: Trekking, walking long distances, climbing, mountaineering, running, jogging, etc. They dry fast, they keep moist away, some of them even receive some sort of treatment to avoid bacteria...Haaaa; and they also cover your intimate parts in a proper way for public showing...

I try not to look into other dudes in underwear (During the Camino or elsewhere)... But if accidentally I HAVE to look at it, I`d rather a thousand times see someone wearing boxers than regular underwear (be them briefs, sport briefs, hip briefs, etc... Dont even get me started with thongs!).

Custody of the eyes fellow pilgrims! Always :-D

Well, here's my take on it: Put in your earplugs, close your eyes and go to sleep. You are in a dormitory. Let people live.

Buen Camino ( But please DO wear any type of underwear!!!)

Buen Camino ( But please DO wear any type of underwear!!!)

NEVER! :p:p

After shower i just wear a t-shirt and my old adidas shorts with nothing under. And that's how i sleep.

For many reasons, but principally to let my skin (even the darkest nooks :rolleyes:) breath, get dry and relax after hours of walking and sweating.

No risk of flashing, tho. :)

I cannot speak for @Waka, but as someone who has sleep apnea and who snores when I am not using a CPAP machine, the solution this year was to purchase a travel CPAP and bring that. My wife tells me that the weight penalty is worth it, but I am still the one carrying the machine. :(

Who can explain to me what "darkest nooks" mean????

Although I have to say I`m a bit scared of knowing...

:eek::eek::p

Who can explain to me what "darkest nooks" mean????

Although I have to say I`m a bit scared of knowing...

:eek::eek::p

Imagine those warm and fetid places where the sun never shines; where things lurk that should never see the light of day; where the primeval meets the modern day in a mega-culture-clash. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or just spend an afternoon or two on the average European nudist beach ;)

Imagine those warm and fetid places where the sun never shines; where things lurk that should never see the light of day; where the primeval meets the modern day in a mega-culture-clash. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or just spend an afternoon or two on the average European nudist beach ;)

:D:D:D

That was a very poetic (yet precise and clear) explanation!!

what is underwear! LOL

The only other addition I can make to this discussion is to refer to an address made by the Rt Revd Victoria Matthews, then Bishop of Edmonton (now Bishop of Christchurch NZ) addressing 800 or so at Saint James Cathedral in the leadup to the relaunch of the Toronto chapter in 2008 (I think?). She had done seven Caminos at this point and members of her cathedral chapter, wishing to preserve her apostolic dignity in the intimate quarters of the pilgrims' albergues, gave her a set of purple boxers with white polka dots. She told us that these boxers served their function well. I hope that Ausmob5's strictures do not apply to bishops.

Have to agree - thanks for the laughs. But on the serious side - this is why a light weight sarong comes in handy (if not essential) it provides privacy and ensures the "custody of the eyes". Cheers

The only other addition I can make to this discussion is to refer to an address made by the Rt Revd Victoria Matthews, then Bishop of Edmonton (now Bishop of Christchurch NZ) addressing 800 or so at Saint James Cathedral in the leadup to the relaunch of the Toronto chapter in 2008 (I think?). She had done seven Caminos at this point and members of her cathedral chapter, wishing to preserve her apostolic dignity in the intimate quarters of the pilgrims' albergues, gave her a set of purple boxers with white polka dots. She told us that these boxers served their function well. I hope that Ausmob5's strictures do not apply to bishops.
THAT is hysterical!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
S
I cannot speak for @Waka, but as someone who has sleep apnea and who snores when I am not using a CPAP machine, the solution this year was to purchase a travel CPAP and bring that. My wife tells me that the weight penalty is worth it, but I am still the one carrying the machine. :(
Same here dougfitz . My CPAP can be separated into two separate sections one section holds water the other section the main one. I take the main section which doesnt weight much .its the electronic convertor that provides the weight ..

Just reading through all the threads and side conversations that this topic has sparked and, thinking about our first Camino in 3 weeks, I'm beginning to regret that we are booked into a series of little inns, instead of the Albergues and will miss, unfortunately, some of this "fun." As my mother, a fine, proper lady, who nevertheless, when she went camping, would change into her bathing suit in full view of others saying, "If they're rude enough to look, I'm rude enough to show them...!" I love my mother!
On the original point of this thread- I just bought 2 new pairs of poly, lightweight, wicking, boxers, with button fly. Hope they work out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Respectable point, just keep in mind that other countries look at being naked in a different way. Once I was in a lake in Switzerland an a lady just got naked, went for a swim, got out, got dress, and left. None of the locals gave her a second look, even those with kids. My point is that is all about and open mind not judging those who don't see a brief exposure of the human body as disrespectful but rather as a natural thing. We are all humans. Is not a coincidence that countries that look at nudity as a normal thing have the lower rates of crime and violence; Switzerland vs the United States

Exoficio 9" boxer briefs are perfect, comfortable, snug but not tight, quick drying, and antibacterial; $20 at REI, worth every penny

Is not a coincidence that countries that look at nudity as a normal thing have the lower rates of crime and violence; Switzerland vs the United States
That's a rather sweeping statement, and does not match reality. As one example only, Switzerland has roughly twice the crime rate of Japan. Switzerland is also a smaller country than the US, so one could look at their rate, as well as Japan's rate, and just as inaccurately conclude that country size and lower crime/violence rates are related. In point of fact, the sociological causes of crime and violence are very complex and cannot be reduced to such simplistic explanations.

Perhaps the only direct linkage between nudity and crime that I've ever seen is that crime rates went up after Adam and Eve put on clothes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From John Patrick's "Teahouse of the August Moon",

"In Okinawa . . . wash self in public bath with nude lady quite proper. Picture of nude lady in private home . . . quite improper.
In America . . . statue of nude lady in park win prize.
But nude lady in flesh in park win penalty.
Conclusion?
Pornography question of geography.”

Dorms bring together loads of folks of various sensibilities and sensitivities. In a shared space, we do our more private stuff - sleep, dress, wash. "Custody of the eyes" and "right speech" form the basis of etiquette - and remembering and accepting our differences. Great place to practice humilty - especially in thought and expression.

Or find somewhere else to stay. No big deal.

I've rather enjoyed these experiences, including the self-reflection and personal inquiries that they offer...

On from Santiago to Fisterre and Muxia, and more shared spaces!!!!

Ultreia.

Buon Camino!!

@Albertagirl I'm a senior man and I lost count of the times I ended up on the top bunk, maybe I look younger thanI really am.
I agree there is an ettiequte in Albergues, always avert the eyes, makes sure you are not inadvertently exposing yourself, and never snore.
With you to the never snore part. It is not something you can consciously do cause you are asleep with no control. Even my poor long suffering wife does not wake me up and say stop snoring. She has learnt that 5 minutes later I am asleep and snoring again. I do consciously now drink less vino tinto, seems to help according to those in the next bunks :)

I do consciously now drink less vino tinto, seems to help according to those in the next bunks :)
I think there's a psalm that goes, "You give wine to make man's heart happy . . . and to aggrevate his neighbor."

Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure this thread was thought up by bored MODERATORS with one of your bogus Pseudonyms ............yeah , I now you have these to aid moderating:rolleyes::cool:;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OMG Just back and worn boxers.........wished i knew this before :)
So sorry for all i've offended Hahahahahahahahahahah

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.