• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to expect from the weather crossing Pyrenees in October

Scorpiogirl

E Ultreia
Time of past OR future Camino
I made my first Camino this year in June 2014
Hi everybody

I will be starting my 2nd Camino from SJPP on October 8th, as I cannot get it from my mind since I left last year :) ...what should I expect from the weather this time of year when crossing the mountains?

Last year I started in Pamplona in June and ended in Finisterre in July, so weather was hot and dry always so light clothing was enough.

Also I am extremely excited about starting from SJPP this time, can't wait to meet all you other October pilgrims :)
I will be carrying an extra shell for Denise xxx See you soon again Faith and the other guys at the amazing Pilgrim House in Santiago de Compostela :) Buen Camino x

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last year in mid October I had a day that was part cloudy, part sunny, warm but not hot, and very windy. I couldn't wear my hat. This year I will do it again, unless the weather is bad and we are advised not to.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
what happen yesterday does not follow tomorrow will be the same... it does not work like that.................

as in all types of hill walking such as the cross over from France into Spain........could be a nice day from your starting position....cold air moves faster than warm air ,therefor be prepared to expect sudden changes with the changing of season afoot......

failing to plan is planning to fail.

there is know such thing as bad weather....just weather and bad choice of clothing,...by all means set out wearing shorts and t-shirt if the conditions dictate this......always carry a shell(jacket)...hat and gloves and be prepared to turn back and have a alternative option ...for example using Orisson as a retreat back if condition get worse further along ,retreat and call a cab back down....several option here

eat well before you leave and check the forecast ahead..and prepare accordingly..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might try one of the climate sites, eg http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Roncesvalles-weather-averages/Navarra/ES.aspx, for averages, but they are just that, and can disguise a variety of extremes. On top of that, local conditions in mountains can vary widely over just a few kilometres, and the conditions along Route Napoleon or Route Valcarlos might be much more severe than those recorded at Roncesvalles or SJPP. Be prepareud - pack for the climate, and then dress for the weather on the day you are crossing.

Last edited:
Frankly, your guess is as good as mine! Weather patterns seem to be completely tipsy turvy lately and what happened one year, does not mean that you can rely on that another year! You will have to ' play it by ear':)

I'm also starting on 8 Oct, and would like a link to Spanish Meteo app - I assume there is one, but I'm not very app-savvy. Tried a Search here on Spanish Meteo App, but it didn't give me anything. This will be my 3rd Camino - have walked both the Napoleon and Valcarlos, and will decide which one to take when I arrive in SJPP on the 8th. I know the Pilg Office will give advice, but I like to know these things too! This might help @Scorpiogirl, as well! Thanks!!
Terry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm also starting on 8 Oct, and would like a link to Spanish Meteo app - I assume there is one, but I'm not very app-savvy. Tried a Search here on Spanish Meteo App, but it didn't give me anything. This will be my 3rd Camino - have walked both the Napoleon and Valcarlos, and will decide which one to take when I arrive in SJPP on the 8th. I know the Pilg Office will give advice, but I like to know these things too! This might help @Scorpiogirl, as well! Thanks!!
Terry
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/
:)
Ultreia!

Terry

at least with the forecast in the Pilgrims office and the tourist office in SJPP they display a Hill forecast and effects of winds whatever they are forecast on the day etc.. .
apparently for those leaving SJPP tomorrow and the next few days the weather system is stable with high pressure.
across the whole of the camino francais ....that what they say

A selection of Camino Jewellery
at least with the forecast in the Pilgrims office and the tourist office in SJPP they display a Hill forecast and effects of winds whatever they are forecast on the day etc.. .
apparently for those leaving SJPP tomorrow and the next few days the weather system is stable with high pressure.
across the whole of the camino francais ....that what they say
Thanks, mg999 - do you have a link to this info, or are you "on site"? I definitely will check the pilg office and do as they advise, but I DO like having my own sources! :)

Thanks, mg999 - do you have a link to this info, or are you "on site"? I definitely will check the pilg office and do as they advise, but I DO like having my own sources! :)

I will pm you a site we use for hill forecast you need...in a moment and you can select winds/temp/weather/visibility/pressure and a legend with intervals of behaviour effects etc.. so the day before you check in situ the site for more specific info to where you are...and in the morning for clarity.. this will help you a lot..I explain more in a pm.. I did elements of my ML in the Pyrenees further along ...

Last edited:
Layers of breathable clothing with the final layer being waterproof breathable shell. Merano wool light & middle weight It will only get colder as you have Foncebandon & Ocebreiro to hike, the meseta with possible cold winds with always the possible rain, snow. In April my waterproof duck hunting gloves were so nice & warm! If you plan for the worse you will stay warm/dry. I packed this in the spring just because were I live the temp changes can drop 50 degrees in an hour. Did I pack to much for that spring yes, but when your not certain of mountain conditions, think warm/ dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know this is a bit off track, but we hope to leave SJPDP on the 9th April 2016, what chance of the Napoleon Pass being open then. What date was it first opened this year?

@marbuck I know we had a thread running when the announcement was first made that the route would be closed in winter, but I don't recall any specific dates. Even if it is officially "open" you could still get bad weather at the beginning of April that would mean you should take the Valcarlos route. It is a lovely alternative.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know this is a bit off track, but we hope to leave SJPDP on the 9th April 2016, what chance of the Napoleon Pass being open then. What date was it first opened this year?
I tracked the weather for 2 years before I made my decision to go. I originally was going to leave the last week of March but interfered with our 33 year anniversary. So I arrived the first week of April. The odds are good you will be able to cross as I did. Yet if in the odd chance they have a heavy snow year or a sudden storm you just take the Valcras (sp) route. The year I crossed there were still 2 big drifts of snow but above the trail for the most part I only had about 20 feet of snow to cross. The next day when I woke up in Roncevalles a big storm came in & they tried to close it. But folks still made it across. Like any mountain range the weather gets extremely bad very quick. So if they tell you not to use that route don't.

Hi everybody

I will be starting my 2nd Camino from SJPP on October 8th, as I cannot get it from my mind since I left last year :) ...what should I expect from the weather this time of year when crossing the mountains?

Last year I started in Pamplona in June and ended in Finisterre in July, so weather was hot and dry always so light clothing was enough.

Also I am extremely excited about starting from SJPP this time, can't wait to meet all you other October pilgrims :)
I will be carrying an extra shell for Denise xxx See you soon again Faith and the other guys at the amazing Pilgrim House in Santiago de Compostela :) Buen Camino x
I plan on starting my second Camino from SJPdP on the 5th of October. Like you, I cannot get it out of my mind, and suffered severe Camino depression upon returning home in June. Maybe we will meet along the way. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Wondering if you are stuck, without a bed, in the middle of the Camino, in a very small town...can we expect to get a taxi to another location where beds might be available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back