• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Locals Only

easonm

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2023
we had a great time on the Camino Frances. We met some lovely people. But I was surprised at how many locals we met either completely ignored us or were outright rude despite the fact that I speak good Spanish and we were very polite. Does anyone else experience this on the Camino? A few others I’ve met here in Santiago said the same. Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol. Or maybe it’s the holidays and they expect to be left alone this time of year. Maybe my expectations were too high. but I was a little surprised and disappointed by that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol.
Yes. It's a special time for you but it's just their normal day to day
Maybe my expectations were too high. but I was a little surprised and disappointed by that.
Probably. Remember, these people are just normal people living their lives, they are not characters in a fairytale to make us all fell warm and fuzzy inside

That being said, many are nice and helpful and make the experience even better

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol.
That may be a lot to do with it. When I walked my first Camino in 1990 there were less than 5,000 that year. I was frequently stopped in the street by local people who wanted to chat, shake my hand and wish me "Buen Camino!". Quite a few times I was invited to join a group of friends or a family in a bar or restaurant rather than sit alone. My food and drink was occasionally "on the house!" or paid for anonymously by another customer. When only a handful of pilgrims pass through your village in a day they are an interesting novelty. If there are upwards of 1,500 passing through daily - which can happen these days on the final stages of the Frances in peak season - then I'm sure that novelty quickly wears off.

How much time do you spend interacting cheerfully with your 17.9 million overseas visitors to California? I’ve been welcomed like an angel and ignored like a flea-bite in Spain. And yes, if half a million strangers stomped through my town every year with their own ideas of how I ought to treat them, I might get a bit rude now and again.

We always welcome pilgrims. But, as applies to dead fish, that welcome has its limits.

we had a great time on the Camino Frances. We met some lovely people. But I was surprised at how many locals we met either completely ignored us or were outright rude despite the fact that I speak good Spanish and we were very polite. Does anyone else experience this on the Camino? A few others I’ve met here in Santiago said the same. Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol. Or maybe it’s the holidays and they expect to be left alone this time of year. Maybe my expectations were too high. but I was a little surprised and disappointed by that.
Unfortunately, some pilgrims are more demanding than others, and the locals, watching a stream of 100s/1000s of them on a daily basis for months get tired, especially at the end of a season.

Personally, I have never experienced it, but I speak enough Spanish to ask, be polite to locals, have learnt to say " please" and "excuse me" etc. (very important words in Spain).

My experience from many Caminos, is that by being polite and able to talk with the locals, I have received many smiles, conversations, and pleasant encounters. Even friends. The ability to sit down at a cafe/bar with a coffee/beer blend in, and chat with the "locals" at the next table is invaluable, IMHO.

as @Tincatinker hints, fish and guests smell after 3 days in the house...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where?. In Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla- Leon, Galicia ?

How much time do you spend interacting cheerfully with your 17.9 million overseas visitors to California? I’ve been welcomed like an angel and ignored like a flea-bite in Spain. And yes, if half a million strangers stomped through my town every year with their own ideas of how I ought to treat them, I might get a bit rude now and again.

We always welcome pilgrims. But, as applies to dead fish, that welcome has its limits.

I have had my rude moments when some tourists trample through the many orchards here in blossomtime. Parking their car somewhere illegally to get as close to a local sight.
Cycling on the sidewalk without any respect.
Aside from that , we are a friendly lot :) .

So yes, I do understand locals on a busy Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's always the occasional mean/grouchy lady or man. I wonder if it is sometimes because of the way I present myself or act. Nah, nevermind. There are just grouchy people everywhere.
Grouchy people everywhere. Man, you’ll spot me at 200m when the windsurfers go ploughing through the rafts of yearling swans. When the DFL’s ( down from London) light their portable barbecues amongst our vegetated shingle banks. When the “burp” bikers confuse a bridle-way with a highway. When some Jeremy walks into The Star and asks what Lagers they’ve got…

But, as all members know, I never express any form of grouch in these hallowed pages 😉

Ok, one more thing. EVERYTIME i walk in Spain and meet friends they say to me, "you should open an albergue". My response is always the same, "Heck no. I mean you guys are great, but pilgrims can be dicks. Always asking for stuff..." Not saying that is true of the OP, no doubt she is polite, but I can see how it would wear on someone.

I don't really remember rude locals on all my Caminos in Spain (mainly Francés). Nor in France or Luxembourg or Germany, by the way.

I guess I must have met at least a few but it must have been so few and so unimportant that I already have forgotten by now.

More the opposite. I do remember so many extremely friendly locals!

Especially on the Francés, I was often surprised how friendly the locals still were, despite the millions of pilgrims they must have seen walk by over the years. Needlessly friendly even, not only when asked for help / directions / ect.

The people in Galicia seem to be more quiet and reserved, I think, than in some other areas of Spain. Also, they probably see more pilgrims than any other area and might sometimes be a bit tired of it all, which is understandable.
But that doesn't mean they're rude.

My spanish is very basic, by the way. Almost nonexistant.

Locals were still friendly.

I got motivational honks from trucks, got redirected to the Camino when lost (and when not lost!) without having to ask anyone, got countless "buen Caminos", locals initiating small talk or even more profound conversation despite my extremely poor spanish. I remember when I checked into the campsite in Sarria with my kitten, afraid that they might not accept pets at the campsite, the guy at the reception just smiled and handed me a bag with cat food. You know, as if that was the most normal thing ever to keep a bag of cat food at hand for a crazy pilgrim carrying a kitten in a cardboard box.

(PS, in hindsight I remember two occasions when shops / cafés took more money from me than from the locals, but that's it, which is not much, considering the many kms and days I spent on the Camino by now).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How much time do you spend interacting cheerfully with your 17.9 million overseas visitors to California?
I dig it. I usually see them on the beach or pier. One time I met the spanish national surfing team at an olympic qualifier in HB. They were like, "who is this guy, go away", until I asked them where they were from. I told them I like the Basque country and Asturias. Then they smiled.

I can imagine that by the end of the season, locals along the Frances are ready for a break from all the Pilgrims.

In my youth I lived in a tourist area (Jersey - the original one) and to a degree we 'tolerated' all the tourists. They were noisy, clogged the streets and cafes, drove at a snails pace taking in the views, holding up traffic on our tiny roads. Obviously those deriving income from them were greater 'fans' than others of us.

By contrast on my last Camino I walked the Invierno. Quite a few times I was stopped by delightful locals, interested in where I was from, where I started walking, how old was I, and so on.

Last edited:
I dont recall any rude locals. I do remember seeing some harried looking staff/hospitaleros occasionally. They were still nice to us. I found people generally to be friendly and pleasant.

The only rude people I met were pilgrims on my first Camino in Bayonne. Assuming we were French because we were reading a sandwich board sign in French, and nutting off about why the signage wasnt in English, and didnt we know they should be in English.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I dig it. I usually see them on the beach or pier. One time I met the spanish national surfing team at an olympic qualifier in HB. They were like, "who is this guy, go away", until I asked them where they were from. I told them I like the Basque country and Asturias. Then they smiled.
same here.

PS, in hindsight I remember two occasions when shops / cafés took more money from me than from the locals
We used to do that in Somerset in the 1960’s. The price of a pint of cider was entirely dependent on where you “wus frum”. An’ if you weren’t frum round’ere then you paid the price. “Ave a nice day…” “D’you want sumfin with that?”

I’ve no more objection to local taxation than I have to Barca’s tourist tax. I did once get a refund in Batsi on Andros. The bar man explained that they hadn’t realized I was an Englishman. Apparently my Greek was so poor they had thought I was an Italian 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Come to Cumbria, tourist hotspot of the UK, and expect to be ignored or actively disliked by many who are not directly providing paid services. I think it’s similar along the main Camino routes.

A proportion of the local population welcome (because their business depends on it) us as passing trade. A significant number would rather that we went elsewhere

By contract on my last Camino I walked the Invierno.
I have never considered walking a pilgrimage by contract. Who arranged it for you? Did you use an agent. Is it any different to offering to take others' prayers for forgiveness to the cathedral? Were you well recompensed?

On the substance, I don't recall rude locals on any of my pilgrimage walks. I do seem to remember that there were many busy locals, particularly after Sarria on the CF, who were less inclined to chat. It might be hyperbole, but all the rudeness has been from other pilgrims, but even that has been remarkably rare.

I have never considered walking a pilgrimage by contract. Who arranged it for you? Did you use an agent. Is it any different to offering to take others' prayers for forgiveness to the cathedral? Were you well recompensed?

On the substance, I don't recall rude locals on any of my pilgrimage walks. I do seem to remember that there were many busy locals, particularly after Sarria on the CF, who were less inclined to chat. It might be hyperbole, but all the rudeness has been from other pilgrims, but even that has been remarkably rare.
Typo :oops:
now corrected ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For the Spanish family and friends are very important . I remember when we were meeting a local for our accommodation and my wife spotted him across the square and stated he would be with us in minutes I noted that he had seen a friend or acquaintance and he would be expected to meet and greet him before coming to us which he did . Also if I was being served in a Cafe and a local walked in I expect them to get priority over me . When you live in small Spanish communities these connections are very important . So sometimes it isn't rudeness it is just cultural differences.

I previously lived in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, a medium-sized city that became a sailing/regatta and tourism magnet during the summer. Many of us looked forward to Labour Day, so we could once again walk downtown via the waterfront trail in peace. The weather was usually becoming not attractive to visitors.

And then I moved south to Beaufort, South Carolina, where our visitors were generally limited to military-related events (e.g., recruit graduations and Blue Angel-centered air show). And we wanted lots more people to come visit us. The usual advice of "Be careful what you wish for," should have been our mantra. It wasn't, and for some reason we started to be on all sorts of "Best of ..." lists, and now we're tired of being expected to deliver Southern Hospitality on command. Some days some of us still make the effort, but nowhere near as often as before.

I felt so sorry for the locals! Of course we’re good for the local economy but I kept thinking “I would love to live here if it weren’t for the pilgrims.” I remember in particular in a very small town with only one restaurant. There was a big table of pilgrims from the albergue with a very loud American man holding court about all his Camino experiences. And another table of women - I can’t remember if they were American or English - one was the Camino “expert” who acted as the “translator” by speaking really loudly in broken Spanish to the waitress like she was deaf. The rest of us ate our wonderful food in horrified silence. It was excruciating.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This post thread is interesting. Locals only. It set me on a quest. I found one comedy show of two that battered my memory. Here is a link to it. I warn you in advance: subtitles are useless, they are auto generated. Not a good idea with the Scots register... in the first half hour there is a sketch that shows how Scottish people - some Scottish people - approach inculturation. In a farmacia. In Mallorca.
Locals only. Expectations. At the beginning of a new year, it is no harm to be offered the chance to examine expectations, and sit light to reality.
While it is a humorous response to the startling experience of the op, my response is to say this, basically: walk two weeks in my moccasins and you will know. I have paraphrased this saying.
I hope @Mary Doll is paying attention. She will know why.

Last edited:
The odd rude local , same as some posters here on this forum... more rude Pilgrims though

but I just don't think about any of them long enough to be bothered. We're not all the same, we all react differently to different things at different times.

Easier to try and focus on the positive, the 99% of the others who are / were happy and friendly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The odd rude local , same as some posters here on this forum... more rude Pilgrims though

but I just don't think about any of them long enough to be bothered. We're not all the same, we all react differently to different things at different times.

Easier to try and focus on the positive, the 99% of the others who are / were happy and friendly
I like what you say, and it leads me to add: yes, accentuate the positive.
My normal is mine. It is not universal.

On a previous post I asked for the " Comunidad Autonoma" of the local as a curiousty to know if the behaviour is the same. In my case, on the Frances, I did SJPP - Logroño and Sarria- Santiago and found that Navarros were rather cold, more than Galicians, but that's normal because I speak Galician. So I liked to know others opinion.

I remember in 2011 when I stopped in Azofra how a very loud pilgrim bought some groceries for a total worth of six € and he was angry because the lady of the shop did not accept a Diner's Card. He kept ranting about customer service blabla ( before being served he had to wait some minutes because the owner was helping an elderly local lady packing her grocery bag ).
A fellow pilgrim and I were so horrified with the obnoxious behaviour of this particular pilgrim that we intervened. We told him to stop yelling in his loud voice in a language the shoplady did not understand.
Fellow pilgrim and I paid for his groceries by cash. Told him it was our donativo for the community of Azofra! We got a pat on the shoulder from the shoplady and a " mil gracias ".
Luckily the muni albergue in Azofra is the one with the cubicles with two beds each so we did not see him anymore.

On a previous post I asked for the " Comunidad Autonoma" of the local as a curiousty to know if the behaviour is the same. In my case, on the Frances, I did SJPP - Logroño and Sarria- Santiago and found that Navarros were rather cold, more than Galicians, but that's normal because I speak Galician. So I liked to know others opinion.
@Pelegrin, sorry to see that you did not get a reply to your question. Maybe the OP had overlooked it. From earlier posts I see that the first post in this thread must refer to the last 100 km from Sarria to Santiago during the period 28 December to 6 January - at least that was an initial plan.

FWIW, several years ago, we walked in the same area around the beginning of November and, on one or two occasions in particular, it was noticeable that those who run food stalls and bars/restaurants geared to serving Camino pilgrims were getting tired and might have been looking forward to the end of the pilgrimage season and some quiet time for themselves. We noticed it on a few occasions but didn't mind. We also found that despite my miserable spoken Spanish people noticeably got warmer when one made a patient effort to communicate in Spanish.

All this is understandable; it is also understandable that people no longer respond to foreign pilgrims as enthusiastically as they did in the early years of the Camino to Santiago revival (see one of @Bradypus' posts) although many of today's standard Camino narratives want us to believe that nothing has changed since the 1980s and 1990s. :cool:

although many of today's standard Camino narratives want us to believe that nothing has changed since the 1980s and 1990s. :cool:
There is a lot of rose-tinted commentary about the Caminos online. Much has indeed changed over the years since the revival in the 1980s. The character of the Caminos is constantly evolving. But there remains much which is fascinating and appealing - or why would I return to walk the Caminos so often? Worth experiencing warts and all. Airbrushing over the realities of the Camino experience in the present day and presenting only a sanitised and outdated fiction does no real service to anyone.

That may be a lot to do with it. When I walked my first Camino in 1990 there were less than 5,000 that year. I was frequently stopped in the street by local people who wanted to chat, shake my hand and wish me "Buen Camino!". Quite a few times I was invited to join a group of friends or a family in a bar or restaurant rather than sit alone. My food and drink was occasionally "on the house!" or paid for anonymously by another customer. When only a handful of pilgrims pass through your village in a day they are an interesting novelty. If there are upwards of 1,500 passing through daily - which can happen these days on the final stages of the Frances in peak season - then I'm sure that novelty quickly wears off.
While I wasn't walking yet in 1990, I have very similar experiences. When I walked in Belgium and Northern France back in 2011/2012, people indeed stopped their cars, waved at me, asking me to pray for them in Santiago, calling me brave, and so on.

And even on my very recent Christmas Camino I had this experience. On my first days on the Portugués de la Costa I also got quite a few 'Buen Caminos' and people having little chats with me. This was all over after Redondela, when I was just one of the 30 to 40 pilgrims passing by every day.

€60,-
I also know the other side though. I first lived in Amsterdam for 25 years and witnessed how the city changed because of tourism. In my student years social life was mostly in the city center. In my last years in Amsterdam I avoided the city center like the plague, as it had been taken over completely.

I now live in the most touristy area of Asturias. Especially August is not funny anymore. Impossible to park, traffic jams to get to the supermarket, campervans blocking village roads. The locals are getting more and more fed up with it (as tourism is growing really fast here). The last 2 years I fled from Asturias in August and I am going to do that again this year. The funny thing is that this summer I will flee to... Amsterdam.

So yes, I can totally imagine it isn't easy for people living in villages, towns and cities on the Francés with these ever growing number of pilgrims passing by each year.

drove at a snails pace taking in the views, holding up traffic on our tiny roads.

This …. 🙄

Living in an area that gets congested by tourists in the summer months, I find this profoundly irritating. (So too the huge queues at my favourite ice-cream vendor 😉)

When they speed up through the towns they are likely to fall foul of our new speed limits, 20mph in villages/towns, though the fines should help our local economy 😈

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Also if I was being served in a Cafe and a local walked in I expect them to get priority over me . When you live in small Spanish communities these connections are very important . So sometimes it isn't rudeness it is just cultural differences.
If cafes are busy I notice that often the bartender serves and chats with the locals before giving eye contact to me to place an order. In America it is usually "first come, first served". It seemed a bit rude when it has happened, and assume it is because they don't really like pilgrims. It helps now to understand it is possibly a cultural thing, or maybe they are just tired of throngs of pilgrims in general.

This post thread is interesting. Locals only. It set me on a quest. I found one comedy show of two that battered my memory. Here is a link to it. I warn you in advance: subtitles are useless, they are auto generated. Not a good idea with the Scots register... in the first half hour there is a sketch that shows how Scottish people - some Scottish people - approach inculturation. In a farmacia. In Mallorca.
Locals only. Expectations. At the beginning of a new year, it is no harm to be offered the chance to examine expectations, and sit light to reality.
While it is a humorous response to the startling experience of the op, my response is to say this, basically: walk two weeks in my moccasins and you will know. I have paraphrased this saying.
Funny, but hard to understand, what an accent! Lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
interesting thread - appreciate the experiences. Like i said, we met many wonderful people (locals. we actually met/saw very few peregrinos). People pointing us toward the path, etc.

But some of the interactions, in cafes mostly, were comically cold. it became a game between my daughter and i to figure out why. it went beyond indifference at times. they clearly did not want to serve us. maybe it’s the cultural difference mentioned above - they’d rather be serving family/friends, especially during vacaciones.

again, not everyone but many.

If cafes are busy I notice that often the bartender serves and chats with the locals before giving eye contact to me to place an order. In America it is usually "first come, first served". It seemed a bit rude when it has happened, and assume it is because they don't really like pilgrims. It helps now to understand it is possibly a cultural thing, or maybe they are just tired of throngs of pilgrims in general.
Yup, that happens everywhere here in Spain, also in the supermarket. And as a (kind of) local myself now it is actually quite nice. You feel part of a community. Apart from that, it also makes sense that owners of bars and restaurants 'invest' more time in people coming back for years than in passersby.

Grouchy people everywhere. Man, you’ll spot me at 200m when the windsurfers go ploughing through the rafts of yearling swans. When the DFL’s ( down from London) light their portable barbecues amongst our vegetated shingle banks. When the “burp” bikers confuse a bridle-way with a highway. When some Jeremy walks into The Star and asks what Lagers they’ve got…

But, as all members know, I never express any form of grouch in these hallowed pages 😉
I wondered if you live near me (East Kent Coast) given your description of intrusions, DFLs and invasion of pubs and consumption of lager and craft beers (or updated Watney’s Red, as it obviously is), parking over your drop down and discarding waste food packaging where they stand. I suspect these are the perennial gripes of any community in a “destination” location. My own experience of Spanish people from all regions is their hospitality, good nature and good will whenever you seek their help. Your post produced a wry smile of recognition.

Besides, I find the behaviour of pilgrims in bars and restaurants sometimes a bit embarassing. Expecting to get meals when the kitchen is closed, coming inside to get a stamp, use the toilet and/or filling bottles, but hardly spending anything, rearranging tables and chairs but not putting them back afterwards. And bar owners won't distinguish. You might never do these kind of things, but for them you are just a member of that big pilgrim tribe.

jeg må sige, at jeg har en helt anderledes erfaring. Har gået flere gange om året på caminoen siden 2015. Det har forbavset mig, hvor flinke og hjælpsomme, de lokale er, selvom antallet a pilgrimme er steget år for år.
måske fordi jeg er eg gammel kvinde, der går alene 🤪

Besides, I find the behaviour of pilgrims in bars and restaurants sometimes a bit embarassing. Expecting to get meals when the kitchen is closed, coming inside to get a stamp, use the toilet and/or filling bottles, but hardly spending anything, rearranging tables and chairs but not putting them back afterwards. And bar owners won't distinguish. You might never do these kind of things, but for them you are just a member of that big pilgrim tribe.
I think Pilgrims are just passing through! Many just looking to fill their immediate need and many are just focussed on that. You won’t see them again and they won’t see you! I always think of a Camino as ‘Spain light’… you are just passing through a different location each day as part of an international roadshow, you don’t really embrace them and they don’t embrace you. I think it’s fine to accept that.

Just spent longish period in Spain going to same bars every day and they could not be more hospitable, we became part of the crowd, and everyone was lovely, talking about weather, football and all sorts, and we were served and looked after as well as the locals, to the point where they brought us our breakfast super quick without us even ordering (we tended to have the same thing everyday)!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My limited experience Valenca to SDC in 2022 was of very warm and helpful people. Men on the dustcarts getting off to show the right way out of the town at daybreak, a women getting out her car to point to the correct path to stay on the Camino and lots of Buen Camino.

My limited experience Valenca to SDC in 2022 was of very warm and helpful people. Men on the dustcarts getting off to show the right way out of the town at daybreak, a women getting out her car to point to the correct path to stay on the Camino and lots of Buen Camino.
This is so true! I was often pointed in the right direction by the Spanish people; they are more than happy to help a pilgrim in need. My prior comment was only relating to some of my experiences in the busier bars/cafes.

I think our expectations, myself included, are that we are special and feel that we should be acknowledged. I don't mean this in a pejorative way. As many have pointed out, what we experience is amazing, but to the locals, it's just life. I lived in a town where scads of tourists flock to the beach. I couldn't imagine driving for hours to go to this beach.
I found myself a bit put out on occasion, then realized that's it's their town, their bar and that I should realize that I am a transient. They should give their friends and neighbors priority because they live together.
I got really grumpy after the conga line from Sarria. After a couple of days I realized that most of the pilgrims were Spanish, and resolved to appreciate their enthusiasm at embracing their heritage. This is probably my greatest lesson from my pilgrimage.

€60,-
I think our expectations, myself included, are that we are special and feel that we should be acknowledged. I don't mean this in a pejorative way. As many have pointed out, what we experience is amazing, but to the locals, it's just life. I lived in a town where scads of tourists flock to the beach. I couldn't imagine driving for hours to go to this beach.
I found myself a bit put out on occasion, then realized that's it's their town, their bar and that I should realize that I am a transient. They should give their friends and neighbors priority because they live together.
I got really grumpy after the conga line from Sarria. After a couple of days I realized that most of the pilgrims were Spanish, and resolved to appreciate their enthusiasm at embracing their heritage. This is probably my greatest lesson from my pilgrimage.
I agree. While reading this thread I am wondering how many of us walk Caminos expecting to BE TREATED nicely. How we treat others is also important. I have witnessed several pilgrims being quite demanding to the locals or in albergues. I am curious what our motivations are in walking. I myself walk, not expecting anything from others. I walk with and for something deeper in myself and if someone is kind to me then I am grateful, it is that simple....

I must say that I have a completely different experience. Have walked several times a year on the camino since 2015. It has amazed me how nice and helpful the locals are, even though the number of pilgrims has increased year by year.
maybe because I'm an old woman who walks alone 🤪
(As translated by Google)

This post from another thread is in reference to France, but the same could be applied to Spain.

I heartily agree. My epiphany moment was years ago, when I was in the stereotypical mindset that French are rude. Then I learned that it was I who was being rude when I walked into a store and simply placed an order or asked for an item. My failure to say good day and engage on a human level with the person behind the counter or the cash register was received as extreme rudeness and responded to in kind. It has made all the difference, just another unintended cultural faux pas that is so easy to fix.

While reading this thread I am wondering how many of us walk Caminos expecting to BE TREATED nicely. How we treat others is also important. I have witnessed several pilgrims being quite demanding to the locals or in albergues.

Precisely this. I've witnessed so many entitled attitudes ("I'm a pilgrim, on a pilgrimage, ergo I'm special") that quickly devolve into victimhood at any perceived slight, or arising issue.

We are privileged enough to purchase plane tickets, fuss over technical aspects of boots, debate the merits of wicking fabric vs. smart wool, and easily drop $175++ on backpacks. We are not special. In fact, it's always on a pilgrimage that I'm most humbled. I'm reminded that no one owes me anything, and it's my job to watch, observe and listen.

This post from another thread is in reference to France, but the same could be applied to Spain.
i love this and have read before. it’s just disappointing when u follow all the rules - “buenas tardes” or “buenas” or even “feliz año” and you’re met with silent scowls. But such is life. it’s the same in the US. it doesn’t stop me from putting out good vibes on the camino. just makes me want to come back and try another time, another route with different expectations. i travel a lot in latin america, for example, and find it un poco mas amable. totally different worlds i know. just comparing travel experiences.

Last edited:

€60,-
I remember in 2011 when I stopped in Azofra how a very loud pilgrim bought some groceries for a total worth of six € and he was angry because the lady of the shop did not accept a Diner's Card. He kept ranting about customer service blabla ( before being served he had to wait some minutes because the owner was helping an elderly local lady packing her grocery bag ).
A fellow pilgrim and I were so horrified with the obnoxious behaviour of this particular pilgrim that we intervened. We told him to stop yelling in his loud voice in a language the shoplady did not understand.
Fellow pilgrim and I paid for his groceries by cash. Told him it was our donativo for the community of Azofra! We got a pat on the shoulder from the shoplady and a " mil gracias ".
Luckily the muni albergue in Azofra is the one with the cubicles with two beds each so we did not see him anymore.

And that store is TINY! What a prat.

Good on you guys :)

€60,-
I can imagine that by the end of the season, locals along the Frances are ready for a break from all the Pilgrims.

While I have little to compare it to, I found that the locals I passed by on my recent (winter) Camino were much more likely to wish me a good day or good Camino, or to respond to my wishing them a good day, than were the locals I met during the summer (although no one was ever downright rude to me). I assume this is because there were just a few of us walking, not a constant stream.

I’ve done the Camino Francis twice and yes, the people are very rude. Not only along the Camino, but Barcelona Madrid. I’ve had friendly response from Girona, Malaga, Sevilla,Toledo, Ronda

I’ve done the Camino Francis twice and yes, the people are very rude. Not only along the Camino, but Barcelona Madrid. I’ve had friendly response from Girona, Malaga, Sevilla,Toledo, Ronda

Though it seems the Camino Francés was nice enough to walk it twice?
Looks like we walked in some kind of parallel universe...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve done the Camino Francis twice and yes, the people are very rude

That's quite the broadbrush statement. I'm wondering your role is in that experience.

Reminds me of an Aussie pilgrim I kept running into whilst walked Le Puy to SDPdP. She went on and on about how the French were "so rude". I asked "how many times have you done this walk?" She said "seven times" I realized ah...this is a you problem, nothing to do with the French.

Last edited:
In general, Europeans are more formal and less likely to make "small talk" vs. the always chatty, loud and informal Americans.

In fact, "small talk" is totally unknown concept in some cultures. It varies from country to country with Germans in the extreme. I've witnessed Germans waiting in a check-out line as silent as a church with only the absolute minimum of conversation at the cash registers.

The lack of "small talk" should not be interpreted as being rude! In fact, Germans consider it a sign of respect and not wanting to bother you with a "phony" conversation.

Many Americans consider the French to be rude, but the French also consider the Americans as rude! In France, one must greet the shopkeeper with "Bon Jour!". When a tourist doesn't follow the local customs, they are then unknowingly considered rude.

Do not assume European and Americans have the same customs. Study each country's local customs to avoid misunderstandings.

-Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience on the CF is entirely different to a number of pilgrims.
I remember on the Meseta and old couple in a beat up old van parked on the side of the track handing out cold drinks for free to passing pilgrims and wishing us Buen camino. Another time an elderly man grabbed my hand and fill it with nuts. These are the kind gestures that bring tears to your eyes. For me I felt that I was always being looked after by locals whether on the road, in the cafe/bar, the Albergues or shops.

Waka

Our first camino (Frances) was spring of 2013 and we found the locals to be kind and welcoming. Our next camino (also Frances) was in the fall of 2014. Before we went on the second camino, I wondered if the locals would be as welcoming in the fall (toward the END of the pilgrimage season) as they were at the beginning of the season. I expected them to be sick of us pilgrims by then. To my surprise, people were equally kind and welcoming. We've done many caminos since then with the same experience. But I did realize that most Spanish people are more reserved than we Americans. "Friendly" might not quite be the right word, but kind, helpful, welcoming all describe the vast majority of locals that we had interactions with.

I find Spanish people to be almost universally helpful, polite and courteous.. and mostly friendly. I learnt early on, the importance of greeting people collectively when entering a bar or a bakery or whatever, especially early in the morning, with a smile and a BUENOS DIAS! Doesn't matter if there are two people or ten people in the place, it's for everyone and it gets reciprocated. It took me a little longer to grasp that Spanish folk don't like to be rushed, or to be made alter their behaviour to suit outsiders. Yes, a lot of misunderstandings arise from cultural differences and expectations. But an initial greeting before ordering or asking a question is good manners and a good start..

Last edited:

Haha! Rab C Nesbitt brings me right back, must dig out a few episodes!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is the best and so helpful. As well as a look in the eye from a local who randomly says "been camino". It's like warm and fuzzies.
I've been pointed in the right direction by locals a number of times; definitely a warm and fuzzy moment for me. Usually they are older and sitting in their open window on the second floor, watching the world go by.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
måske fordi jeg er eg gammel kvinde, der går alene 🤪
And perhaps because you are polite and not demanding?

that we are special and feel that we should be acknowledged
Just because we choose to spend a lot of money getting to Spatn and walking a Camino doesn't make us special.
Quite the opposite.

That sense of entitlement is poison - and I can tell you (as someone from a place overrun with tourists) that locals can smell it from afar, and don't appreciate it.
But be humble, sensitive, and respectful and you get a whole different response. It's the same anywhere.

The parallel universes some posts here have described probably have a lot to do with that.

And it helps to remember that all of us have bad days sometimes. There rude people everywhere, and kind ones. It's not about us. Not taking things personally is such a relief.

Three years of pandemic shut downs has damaged us all.
No it hasn't. Some people, perhaps, but that's a mighty broad brush.

Last edited:
that sounds really unusual. I was blown away by the incredible kindness and friendly attitude and helpfulness of all of the locals i came across, bar none. (cf 2022). of course it's all individual and I don't want to set up false expectations, but that was my experience! truly incredible and inspiring!

Three years of pandemic shut downs has damaged us all. Other world events have not helped, such as wars and other conflicts as well as human migration.

Some can handle these issues like this better than others.
I would not say that the pandemic has damaged me. However, I agree with your last statement that some can handle such issues better than others.

Europeans are more formal and less likely to make "small talk" vs. the always chatty, loud and informal Americans.
Sort of, but not entirely. The formality may include some extended greetings. I understand that in Spain, it is very much expected that people start with some unhurried greetings, before starting the business transaction in a store. It is considered rude to walk into the store and get right to the point of what you want to buy.

I have to admit to being quite touched (in the emotional sense) by the local folk especially in the smaller towns by their random acts of kindness. I don't speak Spanish and was not expecting much but the old woman who had picked a bunch of flowers and randomly insisted of giving them to a peregrino I was walking with, the random guy who stopped his car to point out we were off trail, the guy who unloaded groceries from his car and insisted I take a packet of potato chips while having a break, the typical diminutive old man who insisted on measuring our respective feet while joking with us and his friends, the old bar owner who I helped unloaded his stock who came back 15 minutes later with a silver tray with a round of aperitifs, the farmer giving me an enormous bloody marrow to carry from his field, the old woman giving a bag of persimmon. The constant Buen Caminos and toots and waves from cars. The laid back style of service in bars and restaurants all over Spain takes a bit of adjustment especially when under time pressure and city folk are city folk but I cannot recall any rudeness or even disparaging looks from locals on any camino. Fellow pilgrims are another matter. The bunk taking, equipment stealing, queue jumping, inconsiderate behaviour etc etc were, in my experience, the preserve of my fellow international pilgrims. And god knows I think the locals have plenty of reason to be intolerant given some things I've witnessed!

I have to admit to being quite touched (in the emotional sense) by the local folk especially in the smaller towns by their random acts of kindness. I don't speak Spanish and was not expecting much but the old woman who had picked a bunch of flowers and randomly insisted of giving them to a peregrino I was walking with, the random guy who stopped his car to point out we were off trail, the guy who unloaded groceries from his car and insisted I take a packet of potato chips while having a break, the typical diminutive old man who insisted on measuring our respective feet while joking with us and his friends, the old bar owner who I helped unloaded his stock who came back 15 minutes later with a silver tray with a round of aperitifs, the farmer giving me an enormous bloody marrow to carry from his field, the old woman giving a bag of persimmon. The constant Buen Caminos and toots and waves from cars.
I absolutely love this! I'd nearly forgotten some of the kind gestures afforded me by locals, until you posted these wonderful little "treasures" you experienced on the Camino.
(I also relate to the seemingly selfish, entitled pilgrims seen occasionally in the albergues.)

Just a thought, what I do when I enter a cafe is clear all the plates and cups for the staff ( these places sometimes have only one person serving) when I have finished clearing I then order .I have the time and it makes their life easier for them . I do it because I am lucky enough to be able to do Caminos . Got offered a job once LOL .

Just a thought, what I do when I enter a cafe is clear all the plates and cups for the staff ( these places sometimes have only one person serving) when I have finished clearing I then order .I have the time and it makes their life easier for them . I do it because I am lucky enough to be able to do Caminos . Got offered a job once LOL .
Yes. They love it. Never been offered a job myself tho.

Absolutely brilliant @Kirkie.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a Spaniard, visiting a bar in Spain the most friendly by far is Andalucía. The most reserved is Castiila y León.
As a non Spaniard , who has spent a fair bit of time in Andalusia, I would 100% agree with that! It really stands out.

I have been a "local" in a camino village since 2006. I see many many pilgrims passing through.
I often say hello or good morning or Buen Camino to them, and often as not I am ignored, or looked-at like I'm a weirdo! Sometimes I don't say hello. Sometimes my thoughts are elsewhere, or maybe I am in a bad mood, or I am distracted. Like the other people who live in this village, I have a life going on that is not always Pilgrim-focused.

Pilgrims are utterly pilgrim-focused. Your pilgrimage experience is yours. But the Camino de Santiago is a real place on Planet Earth, and it belongs to all of us. This is not a show, and you are not the star. We all are here together, being humans, living our adventures and our ordinariness.

None of us owes anyone else anything beyond basic dignity. The locals along the Way shouldn't have to be friendly to the thousands of pilgrims who pass through. But remarkably, we often are.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recall being happily surprised this past fall, when a local man in his 30s in Najera called me over to his car to present me with a large fresh tomato. Then there was the local family in Finnesterre who insisted on giving us a little bag of laundry soap when we asked if there was a store nearby. Those folks must see so many pilgrims that those random acts of kindness are true gifts.

Those folks must see so many pilgrims that those random acts of kindness are true gifts.
I have had the great privilege of walking the 88 temple pilgrimage circuit on the Japanese island of Shikoku. There is a very strong tradition there of offering gifts to pilgrims either in material goods or in generous acts of service. Such gifts are known as ossetai and are a way for the giver to share in the pilgrim's journey. Something I have been very fortunate to have received many times on my Spanish journeys long before I had ever heard the Japanese word. But it is somehow very pleasing to be able to put a specific word to the idea!

I have visited quaint Beaufort; looking for Forrest Gump.😉
Please visit again. Let me know beforehand and I'll give you a personal walking tour of the many movie sites for quite a few movies. We loved having Tom Hanks in town, and we've loved the movie since it was released. Our downtown used to have regular stores where real people living here shopped; now we have expensive shops for visitors. But the views of the water are still beautiful (as in Prince of Tides).

I was going to mention this too. The concept of what is polite or not varies from one place to another. English speakers (possibly other nationalities too, but I'm more familiar with the English-speaking countries) put a lot of emphasis on saying "please" and "thank you". Adding a lot of pleases and thank yous does not make you sound more polite. If you don't start with a greeting, it doesn't matter how many times you say please or thank you. You've been rude already.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Or were outright rude.
Help me here. Expectations. Throughout the thread we can trace the vast increase in numbers of pilgrims. I have no idea how many were walking along with me in 2006. Doesn't matter. I picked up very quickly on the pattern of saying buen camino. No reply? Maybe the other person was out of breath. Maybe they were in a rush. Maybe, whatever. I just would like to say that rudeness is something that needs a bit more exploration. We have so many sources of who walked whenever, and how they walked and why they walked.
This is today. No point really comparing. Just be where you are, be who you know you would like to be remembered as being, a friendly, cheerful, grateful pilgrim.

Another interesting thread with people recalling far more positive experiences than negative. There are many excellent posts above, excuse me if I just pick two.

I have been a "local" in a camino village since 2006. I see many many pilgrims passing through.
I often say hello or good morning or Buen Camino to them, and often as not I am ignored, or looked-at like I'm a weirdo! Sometimes I don't say hello. Sometimes my thoughts are elsewhere, or maybe I am in a bad mood, or I am distracted. Like the other people who live in this village, I have a life going on that is not always Pilgrim-focused.

Pilgrims are utterly pilgrim-focused. Your pilgrimage experience is yours. But the Camino de Santiago is a real place on Planet Earth, and it belongs to all of us. This is not a show, and you are not the star. We all are here together, being humans, living our adventures and our ordinariness.

None of us owes anyone else anything beyond basic dignity. The locals along the Way shouldn't have to be friendly to the thousands of pilgrims who pass through. But remarkably, we often are.

This from Rebekah Scott just absolutely nails it.
I have been that local. I have been that privileged person that the baker serves first (because he knows my time is limited and I have my own customers to see to. And because he knows he will see me again tomorrow, and the day after, and the one after that).
And as a local you see dozens, even hundreds of new people every day - a percentage of whom are going to be: 1/ normal (forgettable ) 2/ pleasant 3/respectful 4/wonderful 5/ annoying 6/ completely obnoxious. And sadly human nature is such that we tend to concentrate on/remember the negative far more than the positive. (It's why the news always concentrates on the former not the latter.)

So it's even more remarkable than after seven or eight months that the Spanish generally remain not only friendly but extremely helpful in times of need. Or even perceived need.(redirecting me back to the camino even though I was deliberately seeking something else!).

You wanna know the funny thing? This might be totally anecdotal and borderline inappropriate, but I've had some candid conversations with hospitaleras/os... like native ones... they told me that pilgrims can be a PITA, and Spanish ones are the worst! Like even worse than Americans!

Yes, tourists from your own country are generally the worst. Why should pilgrims be any different?!!

During my traveling years I spent a couple of seasons working in the Greek islands. International backpackers were welcomed, Italians were warmly welcomed, and the Mainland Greeks? - they were given the cold shoulder!
Why? They think they should be treated like locals. The percentage of demanding, rude, even obnoxious behaviour is far higher.
By halfway through my first season I knew what they meant. By the end of my second it was an ingrained prejudice on my part too. Sad, but there it is.

As a hostel manager back home in New Zealand years later I sadly learnt that the same was true of my fellow countrymen. Not only that but incidences of Petty theft jumped markedly every time I had fellow kiwis in the hostel. ( Milk, bread etc from the fridge; cutlery and crockery going missing and so forth).

Which brings me back full circle. I think the Spanish are a wonderful, warm, welcoming people by nature, who, especially on the main camino routes, have to put up with an awful lot - and yet still are predominantly true to their nature.

And I for one am very grateful.

Just be where you are, be who you know you would like to be remembered as being, a friendly, cheerful, grateful pilgrim
Absolutely. A simple nod, a smile, a friendly hello goes a very long way nearly everywhere in the world.

Try it next time you're on a training walk!
Which for me is every time I'm walking down the street...... .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Adding a lot of pleases and thank yous does not make you sound more polite. If you don't start with a greeting, it doesn't matter how many times you say please or thank you. You've been rude already.
Who didn't know this? Maybe most first-time pilgrims, and many of us who are repeat offenders. Thank you, @MariaSP. Now we cannot plead ignorance.

¡I've witnessed Germans waiting in a check-out line as silent as a church with only the absolute minimum of conversation at the cash registers.
Funny to read that you found this extreme. In the Netherlands it is exactly like this. People cueing don't talk to each other. And no, you don't do small talk with the cashier either. You do your thing and leave, so you don't keep the people behind you waiting longer than necessary.

In Spain that isn't the case. The first time I stood in line waiting to get into the bus I thought that everyone knew each other, because they were all chatting... 🤣

After living in Spain for 6 years, I now prefer the Spanish way though. It is much more relaxed and social. :)

Another interesting thread with people recalling far more positive experiences than negative. There are many excellent posts above, excuse me if I just pick two.

This from Rebekah Scott just absolutely nails it.
I have been that local. I have been that privileged person that the baker serves first (because he knows my time is limited and I have my own customers to see to. And because he knows he will see me again tomorrow, and the day after, and the one after that).
And as a local you see dozens, even hundreds of new people every day - a percentage of whom are going to be: 1/ normal (forgettable ) 2/ pleasant 3/respectful 4/wonderful 5/ annoying 6/ completely obnoxious. And sadly human nature is such that we tend to concentrate on/remember the negative far more than the positive. (It's why the news always concentrates on the former not the latter.)

So it's even more remarkable than after seven or eight months that the Spanish generally remain not only friendly but extremely helpful in times of need. Or even perceived need.(redirecting me back to the camino even though I was deliberately seeking something else!).

Yes, tourists from your own country are generally the worst. Why should pilgrims be any different?!!

During my traveling years I spent a couple of seasons working in the Greek islands. International backpackers were welcomed, Italians were warmly welcomed, and the Mainland Greeks? - they were given the cold shoulder!
Why? They think they should be treated like locals. The percentage of demanding, rude, even obnoxious behaviour is far higher.
By halfway through my first season I knew what they meant. By the end of my second it was an ingrained prejudice on my part too. Sad, but there it is.

As a hostel manager back home in New Zealand years later I sadly learnt that the same was true of my fellow countrymen. Not only that but incidences of Petty theft jumped markedly every time I had fellow kiwis in the hostel. ( Milk, bread etc from the fridge; cutlery and crockery going missing and so forth).

Which brings me back full circle. I think the Spanish are a wonderful, warm, welcoming people by nature, who, especially on the main camino routes, have to put up with an awful lot - and yet still are predominantly true to their nature.

And I for one am very grateful.
Ponferrada, albergue with a kind of totem pole in the garden? Separation of males/females for bunks... the first time since Roncesvalles that our breakfast was 'taken by mistake' from the fridge. A lesson learned and not forgotten! 😈
We are fools, in spite of hearing my dad's voice - never call anyone a fool - if we have no sense of the range of options that other people operate out of!
Just use your common sense. No gps app applies,😇

Yes, I agree but Spain is diverse on this. Even Castilla y Leon that I mentioned as " "reserved" it is not the same in its nine provinces.
Spain is very diverse in many ways. But if you are from the Netherlands, you'll find about any Spaniard less reserved than Dutchies... 😅

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I never visited the Netherlands. Frisia has differences with the rest I've heard.
I would rather say there is a difference between the north and the south (in the Netherlands we say 'below and above the rivers'). The south being a bit less reserved than the north. But in such a tiny country the difference is not huge (and probably bigger between cities and villages).

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.