• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Right size shoes

Ohiowalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (summer 2015, hopefully!)
Hi all. I'm a relatively new member on the forum and am planning my first Camino (Frances, from SJPP, either this May/June or this July/Aug) with great anticipation.

In several blister threads I've seen advice that I should not get my normal shoe size for my Camino hiking shoes (I'm not planning to wear boots). Rather, that they should be either 1/2 or a full size larger than my normal size. Yesterday, I talked to someone at our local, specialty outdoors store (a good one, as far as I can tell) about that. She said a couple of things I hadn't seen mentioned on the forum, although perhaps I just haven't seen the right threads.

First, that if my shoes are too big, when descending my feet could push into the end of the shoes over and over, which could cause problems, such as losing toenails. Second, that feet expanding from walking/hiking a lot isn't a cumulative, long term process, but happens anytime you walk many hours, even in one day. On that latter point, I've never done long distance hiking/walking like the Camino, but I've done lots of multiple hours a day hiking, sometimes for several days in a row. I've always done those hikes with shoes that are my normal size, and so far - knock on wood - I've never had problems with my feet expanding too much and blisters. (My normal size shoes have a little extra room in them, so maybe my feet expand, but just not enough to make the shoes tight and cause problems.)

This leaves me uncertain about whether I should go with shoes that are my normal size or whether I should get them larger than that. (I've never hiked with two pairs of socks and am planning to take a couple of pairs of Smartwool PhDs to wear by themselves, and another pair of regular Smartwool hiking socks with a thin liner to have that alternative.) So, is this another one of those subjects where the answer is that it depends on the person and that some people's feet expand more than others? Are there some Camino walkers who have used shoes in their normal size and not had problems? Many thanks.

Buen Camino. Ohiowalker.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Ohiowalker, the extra size would be to accommodate double socking and a little room for expansion. Proper lacing technique will stop your foot sliding forward in the shoe for going downhill. Rule of thumb for fitting: put your foot in the shoe wearing the sock/socks you will wear while walking, push your foot forward until your big toe just touches the front of the shoe, you should now be able to fit two fingers between your heel and the back of the shoe.

So, is this another one of those subjects where the answer is that it depends on the person and that some people's feet expand more than others?

Yes ;) a good idea is to go shoe shopping in the afternoon, after having walked around for some time as your feet are then already a bit 'expanded'. Also it depends on shoe sizes and makes. Theoretically all shoes that are the same size should be the same size, but often there are not. I, for example, will fit in comfortably in a size 38 of one brand, but not in that of another.
Not sure if that helps, Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Before I traveled to walk the Camino I went out and bought a pair of hiking shoes. They were just my size. After a short time of wearing them to repair for my Camino I still had no issues with them. When I walked the Camino my feet swelled and the back and forth fiction made my big toe nails dig back into my feet. I walked a hundred miles like that and in much, much pain. I had to buy another pair of shoes to complete the Camino. My feet did not return to their former health until after a month at home.
When you walk the Camino it is not like walking around the block, or walking a distance at home. Your feet are tested in many, many ways.
Please listen to you fellow pilgrims on this form. Buy shoes 1/2-1 full size bigger then you would usually wear. Buen Camino.

Same experience as vgen5122. Bought mine in the evening (you're absolutely right, SYates), a half size bigger than usual and walked them in on 200km around home.
After 6 days on the Camino (from Pamplona) they were killing me but I had to endure until Leon (no shops).
There I bought a pair of runners one full size larger....they just fitted! Walking 25km or more everyday lets your feet swell a lot (took mine a month after returning home to recede).
Most important: Walk-in your shoes for at least 2-3 daily stretches of 20 to 25km at home. (the longer the better) Another thing: Choose soft hiking shoes, the rigid ones can become unbearable. In the summer months, I myself would never again walk with anything else than light runners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked 800km last year and didn't get a single blister...put it down to extremely comfortable lightweight (mid) boots...AND great socks. I wore 1000 miles all or multi sport socks. Couldn't recommend highly enough. Good shoes that fit just right I would say, not rubbing, not slipping, good socks, and of course break them in before you go away...preferably on a proper hike and not just a trip to the local shop :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore Merrill Moab mid-height boots, and initially bought them a half size larger (US sizing). After walking several hundred miles in training in the months before my Camino, I noticed my toes had begun to crowd the toe end of the boots, so I took the boots back to REI and exchanged them -- at no cost -- for a new pair another half size larger, which was then a full size larger than my pre-Camino shoe size. I trained another couple of months in these and did the Camino Frances in them with no further problems. I thus discovered one of the hidden costs of the Camino -- replacing several pairs of everyday shoes back home to accommodate my expanded feet :(.

And PANO is correct -- if the larger size is too loose in the toe box, there are lacing techniques that let you create 'fit zones' in your shoes or boots. I would respectfully differ from him, however, on the issue of stiffness, especially when walking on some of the rougher rocky sections of the Camino and on the cobblestone streets in many of the towns and villages. And FWIW, I wore mid-weight merino wool socks with nylon liners, and had nary a blister on the Camino.

Thanks, everyone. For anyone interested in a really long discussion of feet growing/expanding from long distance hiking (complete with photographs, x-rays, medical textbook info, etc.), here's a link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85598

The short version - as on the forum - seems to be that most (but apparently not all) people's feet do expand/grow from long distance walking/hiking.

So, now I'll need to figure out whether to go 1/2 size or a full size larger than my current shoe size. I'll be able to do some "serious" training before the camino, but not nearly as much as you, jmcarp. Maybe I'll go with shoes a full size larger, but plan to wear liners with good hiking socks, and then if my feet grow/expand to where that's not comfortable, I can switch to a single pair of good socks (with BodyGlide to also help with blister prevention).

Live and learn...

In 2012 I walked 450 km of the Camino Frances over 30 days in September. My feet grew from a size 8 to a size 9 during that month. I couldn't fit into any of my shoes when I returned home. On the Camino, I was wearing Keen Voyageur trail shoes size 8 and I had no problem with the shoes, even though they can't expand in length. They are leather, so maybe they did give as my foot grew. I tried the size 8.5 before going on the trip, and they just did not feel comfortable. The arch support wasn't in the right place. I was happy with my choice to wear trail shoes that were the same size as my regular shoes. So I'm someone who didn't buy shoes bigger than I usually wear. You have to try on shoes or boots until you find what works for you. As for blisters, I had blisters from wearing flip flops around town - not from my trail shoes. Silly, but I never thought to try out my evening flip flops before the trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, everyone. For anyone interested in a really long discussion of feet growing/expanding from long distance hiking (complete with photographs, x-rays, medical textbook info, etc.), here's a link...
...Live and learn...
I have no financial interest in REI, but I highly recommend them for your major purchases like footwear and backpacks because of their 'no questions asked' return/exchange policy. I assume, based on your forum name, that you're in Ohio, and I see that they have stores in Columbus and Cincinnati. If you're anywhere close, I'd go there, even if it means driving an hour or two. Be sure the clerk you work with understands what you're using the shoes/boots or backpack for, and don't hesitate to ask for their most experienced sales rep in that department. As I mentioned in my previous post, it took me two tries to get the right fit after actually walking a considerable distance. My wife actually went through four pairs of boots to find the right ones, and we both field test at least two different backpacks. (Ever wonder where all that stuff in the REI semi-annual yard sale comes from?)

First, that if my shoes are too big, when descending my feet could push into the end of the shoes over and over, which could cause problems, such as losing toenails. Second, that feet expanding from walking/hiking a lot isn't a cumulative, long term process, but happens anytime you walk many hours, even in one day.

My left foot swells on its own all the time in summer, I have to sleep with compression stockings on, with elevated feet, the works. Oddly enough never on the Camino: better circulation due to walking? But I do lose toenails, hence why I would use sandals if I didn't need Rx orthodics.

Since you are walking in warm months, what about sandals, with a good arch (at least for my foot type) and a solid sole? This way no matter how often your foot slips forward you are not hitting anything. Plus, since they tend to be made with Velcro straps, you can adjust them according to how your feet are doing. And in the rain? That's the best part: who cares?! Your feet will dry in a minute, and your sandals as well.

Now, if you prefer a closed shoe, ask the people at the store how to properly use shoelaces: you can then brace your ankle at the top of the shoe and it will not hit the front, and your toenails should stay attached. It's a little bit like macrame, but you will soon learn the different techniques. It's something along the lines of up the sides and back down by criss-crossing, right?

Then again, toenails tend to fall when the skin under them is ready to take over - you should not be getting an open wound from this.

(Sandals, sandals, sandals ... do you hear that little voice speaking to you? ;0) )

My thought about the shoes is that I got mine (La Sportiva hiking boots) a size bigger and wore a sock liner with smart wool socks over it and had minimal problems with blisters and my toenails were fine. My daughter had hiking shoes that were about the right size but her feet ended up swelling and she was covered with blisters. We ended up having to buy her new shoes in Spain because she was in so much pain.

As to some of the other comment,s I can't say enough good things about REI. I wouldn't have been able to make the walk without them so if you can possible get to one, it's worth your time.

I did get Teva Sandals that I wore at night and could wear them for some of the hiking when my feet were sick of my boots.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with the comments given to the OP, and am uncomfortable with the blanket advice to "buy a size bigger than your normal size." I BUY the right size, taking into account the following
  • fit the shoes at the end of a day after a long walk
  • fit with the inner sole you intend to use
  • if you like thick socks, try with them, although I finalize the sock selection after the shoe
  • when in doubt between 2 sizes, get the larger one.
I find that if I buy a shoe that is truly shaped right for my particular foot, then it can accommodate whatever swelling happens. For me, Salomons are the best bet. I'm 66 so maybe my feet have expanded to their max already!

I ensure that my boots allow adequate room for toe wiggling, but I do not buy a too-big shoe or boot.

So, now I'll need to figure out whether to go 1/2 size or a full size larger than my current shoe size.
I think you should let the process of selecting the correct size shoes determine what you need, and expect that when you do that they will be larger than your current street shoe size. There has been plenty of good advice about going late in the day, wearing the socks and inserts you will be walking with, and testing the fit.

I would add two things:
  • choose a reputable outdoors outfitter that has a fitting slope that allows you to test the fit with your weight pushing your feet towards the toes.
  • a well informed salesperson will make sure that there is both room for your toes and that your heel does not slide up and down once the shoe or boot is properly laced.

I am a Scarpa fan. I wore the same light weight leather boots that I wear when bushwalking in Australia, and the same socks (only one pair at a time) for my entire Camino and I had no problems and no blisters. Buying a boot/shoe larger than you normally wear just for the Camino is in my opinion a mistake that may cause you regrets. There is no difference in long distance bushwalking than there is in walking the Camino. The only difference is the Camino has more road walking but the principle is the same. I also carried my own pack which was a lot lighter than a bushwalking pack. Stick to the size you wear at home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a Scarpa fan. I wore the same light weight leather boots that I wear when bushwalking in Australia, and the same socks (only one pair at a time) for my entire Camino and I had no problems and no blisters. Buying a boot/shoe larger than you normally wear just for the Camino is in my opinion a mistake that may cause you regrets. There is no difference in long distance bushwalking than there is in walking the Camino. The only difference is the Camino has more road walking but the principle is the same. I also carried my own pack which was a lot lighter than a bushwalking pack. Stick to the size you wear at home.
I would only recommend this approach if, like @marbuck, you are already doing a reasonable amount of trekking/hiking/bushwalking. I took this approach in 2010, and by the end of the CF, I needed to take special care tightening my laces so that my toes didn't routinely touch inside the toecaps. I think there is too much risk that you will get too small a size if you only regularly walk in street shoes with dress socks taking this approach. Other than any lengthening of your foot as you walk the distances on the camino, good hiking socks and a liner sock if you are using them will increase the length and breadth of you foot enough to warrant getting your camino footwear properly fitted.

For example, my street shoes are 42/43 depending on the manufacturer. I wear a wide 44 for competition with thick socks, but for bushwalking I am now wearing size 45. These work for me with both a liner and trekking sock, and I don't have to pay special attention to adjusting the lacing to go downhill. It would be foolhardy for me to buy a boot for the camino the same size as my street shoes.

I have no financial interest in REI, but I highly recommend them for your major purchases like footwear and backpacks because of their 'no questions asked' return/exchange policy. I assume, based on your forum name, that you're in Ohio, and I see that they have stores in Columbus and Cincinnati. If you're anywhere close, I'd go there, even if it means driving an hour or two. Be sure the clerk you work with understands what you're using the shoes/boots or backpack for, and don't hesitate to ask for their most experienced sales rep in that department. As I mentioned in my previous post, it took me two tries to get the right fit after actually walking a considerable distance. My wife actually went through four pairs of boots to find the right ones, and we both field test at least two different backpacks. (Ever wonder where all that stuff in the REI semi-annual yard sale comes from?)
It might be noteworthy for any prospective Swiss peregrinos that Bächli Bergsport has a similarly customer-friendly policy; in fact they gracefully replaced my Camino-worn shoes after return and 50 days after purchase (!) with a smile.
(no financial interest in said company neither)

I agree with the comments given to the OP, and am uncomfortable with the blanket advice to "buy a size bigger than your normal size." I BUY the right size, taking into account the following
  • fit the shoes at the end of a day after a long walk
  • fit with the inner sole you intend to use
  • if you like thick socks, try with them, although I finalize the sock selection after the shoe
  • when in doubt between 2 sizes, get the larger one.
I find that if I buy a shoe that is truly shaped right for my particular foot, then it can accommodate whatever swelling happens. For me, Salomons are the best bet. I'm 66 so maybe my feet have expanded to their max already!

I ensure that my boots allow adequate room for toe wiggling, but I do not buy a too-big shoe or boot.

Sensible advice, C. Thank you. I suppose it should be no surprise that perspectives and experiences on this subject can be so very different. At the end of the day, a decision has to be made and yours seems a reasonable way to go about making it. I like the idea of fitting shoes planning to wear a liner with a good hiking sock, and to then have the flexibility to switch to a thinner, form fitting single sock (Smartwool PhDs, for me) if the shoes get too tight on the walk with the liners and hiking socks. I'll also have Teva sandals for another alternative.

Thanks again, everybody. The forum has been a great source of information and inspiration for my first - hopefully buen - camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have also heard advice regarding how much weight you will be carrying in relation to footwear. The heavier the pack the more support needed.

There are many, varied approaches to "right-sizing" hiking shoes or boots. However, there are several common threads:

1. NEVER buy boots in the same size as your normal street shoe size. They will always be too small once you add thicker or extra socks and there will NOT be enough room in the toe box to prevent your toes from smashing into the front of the shoe on downhills. This is how you lose your toenails or at least get prodigious toe blisters. The downhill walking is at least as difficult as the uphill portions on your footwear.

2. ALWAYS check how the particular make and model shoe or boot runs, relative to size. For example at www.keenfootwear.com, they indicate that my Keen Targhee II mid-height boots typically run one-half size small. This is good to know before you even start to shop seriously. Do your research. Send the company an e-mail. I trust the company that made the boots before I will trust a sales person in a store or someone on the other end of the telephone at a large online retailer.

3. ALWAYS try the boots or shoes on with as close to the exact socks you plan to wear while hiking. Adding a thin, silk or synthetic liner sock and a thick wool outer sock for cushioning can easily add one half size to your street shoe size.

4. ALWAYS lace and tie the boots / shoes to prevent your foot from sliding forward, to prevent toes contacting the front of the toe box. A good sales peson can show you how. Alternatively go here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm or here:

5. ALWAYS try the boots on at the end of the day, after you have been on your feet for some hours. Most people's feet swell as much as one-half size. But not all person's feet swell like this.

So, if you follow this good standard advice, which most everyone above agrees on to varying degrees, you will normally end up with hiking shoes or boots that are at least about one, full-size larger than your street shoe size.

There is, however, one additional caveat that applies to me, and after two Camino Frances (the whole route) I will share. After a week or two walking with a backpack everyday, my feet splay or swell from the load carrying to another one-half size. So, when I arrive home after my Camino, even the first thing in the morning, my feet are one half size larger than they were before the Camino. This diminishes over time, like a couple of months.

So, following all the generic advice, and my personal experience, my boots would logically be 1 and 1/2 size larger than my street shoes. However, as the make and model I like comes 1/2 size small from the factory, I am wearing hiking boots that are TWO full sizes larger than my regular street shoe size. I wear a US 11 medium, and my Keen boots are a US size 13 medium. In European sizing this is a 45 and 47 respectively.

For what it is worth, in two full Camino Frances pilgrimages I did not suffer a single blister (knock wood). I had other foot problems, but nothing related to boot sizing.

EDIT - July 2017 UPDATE: Everything I state above is still true after my fifth Camino with NO BLISTERS. Just thought some of you might be interested.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I usually wear size 6 shoes.
For the Camino each year I always buy a 7.5
Unless you are used to walking 6-7 hours per day every day carrying weight, your feet ARE going to swell.
Too large is a problem much easier to handle by adding socks than too small.:rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have to disagree with the rule stated above, to "NEVER buy boots in the same size as your normal street shoe size."

Maybe people are wearing their street shoes too small.

I would say "NEVER buy boots on the basis of their nominal size."

Just a word of warning on the boots front,in 2013 I met an incredibly fit young marathon running lady from New Zealand on C,F . She had new boots,worn for a few times prior to start from SJPDP.At end of day one both her heels were in a mess.some kind soul gave her competed to cover damage,but failed to tell her not to remove it next day.As ar result she removed all the skin from both heels.She could not afford the time to delay,so she walked through the pain in flip flops for next 2 days ,until she could wear her running shoes,and never wore the boots again.I am still in awe of such courage in one so young.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Competed is a dressing like a second skin,do not remove until it drops off.It can be expensive but is worth it"Ohiowalker, post: 265279, member: 41217"]I've heard of compeed, but don't know how it should be used. When should it be removed, or does it fall off or disintegrate on its own at some point
I've heard of compeed, but don't know how it should be used. When should it be removed, or does it fall off or disintegrate on its own at some point?
[/QUOTE]
I've heard of compeed, but don't know how it should be used. When should it be removed, or does it fall off or disintegrate on its own at some point?
Compeed

I could go on a length about what I saw with either people having no difficulty or people having the most amazing collection of blisters on two feet.

What I know:

I have experience and fairly tough feet = no major problems except tired/sore feet mostly.

Blisters are caused by friction so there has to be movement of the foot against the shoe.

Two pairs of socks do not make a shoe fit better and in my experience they tend to slide around a lot. My feet seem to like wool socks.

Walking long distance will make your feet swell. This is normal.

After walking 20 to 40 kms per day your feet will be sore, this is normal and mine were always fine in the morning. Burt's Bee's Foot Cream at night.

Loose shoes will cause your feet to slide back and forth causing blisters on the ball of the foot

Loose shoes will cause your toes to get jammed repeatedly into the toe of the shoe going downhill. Feel lucky if all you get is soreness and not blisters or lost nails.

If a shoe fits properly then your heel should not slide up and down against the shoe. If the heel is loose then try other shoes or Dr. Scholls has a adhesive pad that goes between the shoe and the sock. Its supposed to keep your heel in place. That's just a patch for a bad fitting shoe.

Most common place for blisters is the heel and side of foot near the big toe. IMO

Hot spots turn into blisters.

Compeed can work if you haven't lost the skin and it stays on. I don't like it as I have other remedies. Its pricey too.

Blisters will refill with fluid repeatedly after draining so if you put something like compeed on a big blister there will be no way to drain it.

The skin over a blister is a natural bandage and the longer you can keep it on the better.

Fabrics can be abrasive.

Wet sweaty skin or soft skin has more friction that dry or hard skin.

Taping hotspots with duct tape will prevent blisters and its pretty good with small gauze and polysporin once you have blisters.

Mecuricombe will dry out and harden raw skin and kill the infection. Its not a miracle treatment and you still need to tape over those spots.

Silver oxide treated bandages are amazing for dealing with infection. I would use this over night as it should stay on and needs to be wet.

I hope this helps. If the weather isn't freezing I wear Chaco sandals barefoot until the weather gets cooler and then I wear them with wool socks. I wear them almost 365 days a year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is not just that feet swell when walking 800km with a pack. The arch of the foot tends to flatten out too.

If you buy shoes with a stiffened sole (some have metal shanks) be careful the extra length does not result in your foot being unable to bend in the right place. After a few kilometres you will be in agony and have to stop constantly to wriggle your toes. One of the reasons I buy very flexible shoes.

In reflexology the arches are related to the abdomen. your arches flattening are because your abdomen is weak. If one walks barefoot to some degree and avoids bad shoes the arch issue diminishes. I recommend that wherever possible take the shoes and socks off and walk as far as you can barefoot. Its delicious

In reflexology the arches are related to the abdomen. your arches flattening are because your abdomen is weak. If one walks barefoot to some degree and avoids bad shoes the arch issue diminishes. I recommend that wherever possible take the shoes and socks off and walk as far as you can barefoot. Its delicious
Except when walking on flint or hot bitumen or concrete or white pebbles or cow shit - unless you are used to going barefoot. I usually wear shoes so I need soft grass or dirt or sand to happily go barefoot. I could have done it as a child but a lifetime of enclosed feet has made me soft.

Is there any evidence that reflexology is an effective treatment for any medical condition? It might be that walking barefoot is worthwhile, but I am not sure that it is explained by some linkage with the abdomen.

Is there any evidence that reflexology is an effective treatment for any medical condition? It might be that walking barefoot is worthwhile, but I am not sure that it is explained by some linkage with the abdomen.

I believe that I am in control of my health. At the foundational level of reflexology is the observation that you will never observe a sick person with healthy feet.

Funny that. The hard part is what does it take to get your feet in shape. Those Ethiopian marathoners run barefoot. I started in Vezalay last summer and had to walk on pavement most of the way to St Jean. I have good feet so the hard ground didn't hurt me but it did wear out my Chaco's prematurely. I like the Camino Frances in Spain because the trail is mostly dirt and it provides a little slippage to take the strain of your shoes and feet. So every one in a while I pull off my shoes and let the path massage my feet. I don't get far before I have to put my sandals back on but it feels great and is a natural therapy. I don't see doctors generally so I don't have any medical conditions and I don't take pills for something someone else told me I had.

Collapsed arches are the reflection of poor posture and abdominal weakness

@mike archer, I take it from your response that there is no evidence reflexology is an effective treatment for anything.

I did find this part of your response puzzling:
I don't take pills for something someone else told me I had.
You say this but expect others to take your advice on conditions you cannot even see. I think I will continue to be cynical about the efficacy of alternative health practices and wary of those that promote them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@mike archer, I take it from your response that there is no evidence reflexology is an effective treatment for anything.

I did find this part of your response puzzling:

You say this but expect others to take your advice on conditions you cannot even see. I think I will continue to be cynical about the efficacy of alternative health practices and wary of those that promote them.

Doug,

If that's what you believe so be it. If you surrender to someone else authority so be it. Maybe your own authority is tied to that belief. Please don't tell me that I am not my own authority. I have stated what works for me. I have seen people transform their health through natural practices. So like I said, its never been observed that a sick person has healthy feet.

Its the 21st century and humans have become sickly flabby and soft. It would take more than some pills to change that.

Doctor! Please tell me what's wrong with me.

Unless you are used to walking 6-7 hours per day every day carrying weight, your feet ARE going to swell.

This is the problem with blanket statements. There are people here who stand all day. Waitresses,shop staff etc. There are people that walk a lot. There are people that rarely move at all.

Depending on the person and what they're used to the "correct" answer will change.

Here is a different problem. If a person is going to swell that means the shoes on day one will be too big.

OTOH if you drop weight during the month your feet will lean out to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is the problem with blanket statements. There are people here who stand all day. Waitresses,shop staff etc. There are people that walk a lot. There are people that rarely move at all.

Depending on the person and what they're used to the "correct" answer will change.

Here is a different problem. If a person is going to swell that means the shoes on day one will be too big.

A weak abdominal muscle leads to back pain. Your back takes the load your abdominal can't handle. You'll see this with people carry a bit of a tire. Dropping the weight leads to back relief.

YES

:) Standing all day as a waitress can not be compared to walking the Camino for 6-8 hours carrying a pack, in my opinion.

I agree, blanket statements aren't the best ones. So, let me change my statement. In my many Camino walks, I have never met one person who said their feet did not swell.

I'm sure there are exceptions. However, I believe if you buy shoes that fit you perfectly before you leave on the walk, I believe you will sorry, because I believe they will be too tight after the first stretch from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

Not everybody whose feet swell are overweight.
Edema in both feet and hands is a very common occurrence, especially in people who are not used to walking all those hours in diverse terrain, carrying weight on their backs.

Again, I'm sure there are exceptions as there are to every rule.
In the end, do whatever makes you happy Nico.:)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ohiowalker, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for information and for discussion like you'd hear at the coffee area of an REI, if they had such a thing.

My experience was this:

Moab Ventilators, one size larger. Mid-high. Got them at the "last minute" when my toes began to dig into the front of the boots I had planned on wearing. They arrived about a month before my Camino and were very comfortable right out of the box. I was able to break them in and I wear them to this day. My Camino was very cold and very muddy. I appreciated the Vibram soles.

Feet flatten out, over hundreds of kilometers of daily walking, at different rates. It probably has much to do with the body weight plus the weight of the pack, plus, of course, general fitness and age.

Do not forget the importance of good socks!! I found sock liners invaluable and now wear liners with trekking socks whenever I'm in for something even as mundane as a walk around town.

Boot lacing will make a significant difference in keeping your foot from shifting inside the boot but you may have to spend some time finding just the right lacing strategy for you.

And, yep, toenail clippers.

Try on lots of different makes of boots. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different "last" and you have to find the one that fits best. When you find the boots that fit like a glove - nice, cushion-y, the right width and length, like walking on pillows - AHHH :rolleyes: - you'll know.

PS - Do yourself a favor and, no matter how dorky you think they look, buy a good set of hiking poles. You'll thank us later.

Buen Camino

Ohiowalker, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for information and for discussion like you'd hear at the coffee area of an REI, if they had such a thing.

My experience was this:

Moab Ventilators, one size larger. Mid-high. Got them at the "last minute" when my toes began to dig into the front of the boots I had planned on wearing. They arrived about a month before my Camino and were very comfortable right out of the box. I was able to break them in and I wear them to this day. My Camino was very cold and very muddy. I appreciated the Vibram soles.

Feet flatten out, over hundreds of kilometers of daily walking, at different rates. It probably has much to do with the body weight plus the weight of the pack, plus, of course, general fitness and age.

Do not forget the importance of good socks!! I found sock liners invaluable and now wear liners with trekking socks whenever I'm in for something even as mundane as a walk around town.

Boot lacing will make a significant difference in keeping your foot from shifting inside the boot but you may have to spend some time finding just the right lacing strategy for you.

And, yep, toenail clippers.

Try on lots of different makes of boots. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different "last" and you have to find the one that fits best. When you find the boots that fit like a glove - nice, cushion-y, the right width and length, like walking on pillows - AHHH :rolleyes: - you'll know.

PS - Do yourself a favor and, no matter how dorky you think they look, buy a good set of hiking poles. You'll thank us later.

Buen Camino
Thank you, FooteK. Hiking poles are in my plans, but I can't carry them on a plane from the US and I don't want to check my pack (as it might get lost in flight and delay my Camino. So, my current plan is to plan on getting poles in SJPP, which means I won't have them work with before I leave. I haven't yet looked into pros and cons of different kinds of poles. I'm assuming the store in SJPP will have ones that will work well.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, FooteK. Hiking poles are in my plans, but I can't carry them on a plane from the US and I don't want to check my pack (as it might get lost in flight and delay my Camino. So, my current plan is to plan on getting poles in SJPP, which means I won't have them work with before I leave. I haven't yet looked into pros and cons of different kinds of poles. I'm assuming the store in SJPP will have ones that will work well.

Buen Camino.
If at all possible, borrow some poles before you get some practice in before you go. Two internet resources that give good advice are Pete's Pole Pages and Helinox's Guide to Walking Poles. If you are going to 'invest' in poles when you arrive in France, it is worth investing some time beforehand learning to use them properly.

I have walked over 50,000 miles, (5 miles per day, every day) including all of the Appalachian Trail as a one time Thru-hike and another 1000 miles of AT for the fun of it. But I have not walked the Camino, yet. I am a retired ER doctor, marathoner (36 of them), and ultra-marathoner (mostly 50 miles) (115 of them). I have had a few blisters, treated hundreds of blisters, and treated dozens of black toe nails that later fell off. Blisters and black toenails are from friction and pounding of toes to the end of big shoes. So, in my experience, it all happens more when shoes are ill-fitted, and mostly from too big, and the foot is constantly sliding around in there! Of course, shoes too small are no good either. And on the topic of socks, I (and many others) don't believe in thick socks, and hate wool, but cotton worse. Many of my compatriots wear liner socks only, when their shoe fits. Ultimax makes the best I have found. They are synthetic, smooth, no seams, and as friction free as it gets. They don't stink too bad and dry overnight, so one pair can be worn over and over for months! Most of my official runs have been on dirt and rock trails, but some on pavement or asphalt. Pavement is the worst and the hottest. My feet are always wet from sweat, but on pavement with wool socks the heat is unbearable and blistering is worse. All my hiking boots are the same size as my "home" shoes, but fit a little differently--they are not the same animal. It is correct that some manufacturers have different sizing, but not many. Also, I know those backpacking light people and much of what they say is true. I have flat (straight) feet. So here is what I do for fitting: Normal length or size. Shoe looks straight on bottom, no curve (straight lasted). Plenty of toe space (no toe blisters). Not loose in the heel (no heel blisters). Lace them half way up and make a half knot (just cross the laces over each other once like you were going to tie them; this holds the lower laces firm to prevent foot sliding forward). Then finish lacing to the top and tie. If the shoe fits (and the socks aren't always wet and bulky) wear it.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85598

Buen Camino.

Just a thought about traveling overseas with a pack.

I've done it a couple of times, even with my poles and (knock on wood) have not had any problems. What I do is this:

I have poles that collapse down so I can stash them in the side pockets of my pack. That is good because I don't use my poles all the time on the Camino, only when I need them. When I'm on the Camino, I can keep my poles on the outside pocket. if I'm not using them.

To prepare for air travel, I get a large IKEA bag. You know, the big blue one. It never looks big enough, but it always is! I cram my fully loaded backpack, poles in the backpack pockets and all, in the blue bag and check it through as normal check baggage. It has never gotten lost, the bright blue probably helps, and it saves me the trouble of having to make sure all the belts and webbing are tucked in so they don't get caught in conveyor belts at the airport.

I learned this from this forum.

I NEVER get a "Like" from Dougfitz so I'm feelin' pretty good right now :).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a thought about traveling overseas with a pack.

I've done it a couple of times, even with my poles and (knock on wood) have not had any problems. What I do is this:

I have poles that collapse down so I can stash them in the side pockets of my pack. That is good because I don't use my poles all the time on the Camino, only when I need them. When I'm on the Camino, I can keep my poles on the outside pocket. if I'm not using them.

To prepare for air travel, I get a large IKEA bag. You know, the big blue one. It never looks big enough, but it always is! I cram my fully loaded backpack, poles in the backpack pockets and all, in the blue bag and check it through as normal check baggage. It has never gotten lost, the bright blue probably helps, and it saves me the trouble of having to make sure all the belts and webbing are tucked in so they don't get caught in conveyor belts at the airport.

I learned this from this forum.

I NEVER get a "Like" from Dougfitz so I'm feelin' pretty good right now :).
I did something very similar on the long haul flight to Oslo to start St Olavs Way - I used one of those striped poly bags from the $2 shop and disposed of it in the airport on arrival. This year I just put my poles down the side of my pack, and took it to the special handling area. I know some people think I am a bit blaisé about checked baggage, but I haven't had a problem on international flights in the 35 or so years I have been travelling overseas (from Australia).

Hi all. I'm a relatively new member on the forum and am planning my first Camino (Frances, from SJPP, either this May/June or this July/Aug) with great anticipation.

In several blister threads I've seen advice that I should not get my normal shoe size for my Camino hiking shoes (I'm not planning to wear boots). Rather, that they should be either 1/2 or a full size larger than my normal size. Yesterday, I talked to someone at our local, specialty outdoors store (a good one, as far as I can tell) about that. She said a couple of things I hadn't seen mentioned on the forum, although perhaps I just haven't seen the right threads.

First, that if my shoes are too big, when descending my feet could push into the end of the shoes over and over, which could cause problems, such as losing toenails. Second, that feet expanding from walking/hiking a lot isn't a cumulative, long term process, but happens anytime you walk many hours, even in one day. On that latter point, I've never done long distance hiking/walking like the Camino, but I've done lots of multiple hours a day hiking, sometimes for several days in a row. I've always done those hikes with shoes that are my normal size, and so far - knock on wood - I've never had problems with my feet expanding too much and blisters. (My normal size shoes have a little extra room in them, so maybe my feet expand, but just not enough to make the shoes tight and cause problems.)

This leaves me uncertain about whether I should go with shoes that are my normal size or whether I should get them larger than that. (I've never hiked with two pairs of socks and am planning to take a couple of pairs of Smartwool PhDs to wear by themselves, and another pair of regular Smartwool hiking socks with a thin liner to have that alternative.) So, is this another one of those subjects where the answer is that it depends on the person and that some people's feet expand more than others? Are there some Camino walkers who have used shoes in their normal size and not had problems? Many thanks.

Buen Camino. Ohiowalker.

€83,-
I'm flying on April 13 from the States to start shortly after. I've read lots of input on this topic and did purchase a pair of Merrell's a full size larger than my normal size after using my regular trainers (training) for a several weeks doing 20-25k a day 4-5 times a week. I found the normal shoe sizing (for me) pretty much matched the comments on what happens to your feet. I've been in the full size larger Merrell shoe for the last month and for me, it has made all the difference but, we will see!

Thank you! What a wonderful and insightful post. We're nervous, first time Camino walkers -- none of the heavy socks feel right....and I hate wool. I'm deeply grateful....Ning

Buen Camino. Ohiowalker.
For those with WIDE FEET like me, wideshoes.com is stocking the New Balance 1540 in 4E and 6E widths. This is a very ventilated walker and good for hot weather.

I have walked over 50,000 miles, (5 miles per day, every day) including all of the Appalachian Trail as a one time Thru-hike and another 1000 miles of AT for the fun of it. But I have not walked the Camino, yet. I am a retired ER doctor, marathoner (36 of them), and ultra-marathoner (mostly 50 miles) (115 of them). I have had a few blisters, treated hundreds of blisters, and treated dozens of black toe nails that later fell off. Blisters and black toenails are from friction and pounding of toes to the end of big shoes. So, in my experience, it all happens more when shoes are ill-fitted, and mostly from too big, and the foot is constantly sliding around in there! Of course, shoes too small are no good either. And on the topic of socks, I (and many others) don't believe in thick socks, and hate wool, but cotton worse. Many of my compatriots wear liner socks only, when their shoe fits. Ultimax makes the best I have found. They are synthetic, smooth, no seams, and as friction free as it gets. They don't stink too bad and dry overnight, so one pair can be worn over and over for months! Most of my official runs have been on dirt and rock trails, but some on pavement or asphalt. Pavement is the worst and the hottest. My feet are always wet from sweat, but on pavement with wool socks the heat is unbearable and blistering is worse. All my hiking boots are the same size as my "home" shoes, but fit a little differently--they are not the same animal. It is correct that some manufacturers have different sizing, but not many. Also, I know those backpacking light people and much of what they say is true. I have flat (straight) feet. So here is what I do for fitting: Normal length or size. Shoe looks straight on bottom, no curve (straight lasted). Plenty of toe space (no toe blisters). Not loose in the heel (no heel blisters). Lace them half way up and make a half knot (just cross the laces over each other once like you were going to tie them; this holds the lower laces firm to prevent foot sliding forward). Then finish lacing to the top and tie. If the shoe fits (and the socks aren't always wet and bulky) wear it.

There is a major difference between walking 5 miles per day and 15-18 miles per day for 30 days straight in the heat, rain, and cold, on tarmac, dirt, and rocks.

Those of us with experience on the Camino, both walking alone and leading groups, have given you our suggestions and experience.
Some people here have walked upwards of 5, 7, 8 times.

I can't tell you the number of people I've met starting in Roncesvalles that are crying the blues and looking for larger shoes.

Do whatever makes you happy.
The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Interesting... i've never had my feet swell a full shoe size and i've hiked a ton, hell I just did 150 KM last week over 8 days...

Interesting... i've never had my feet swell a full shoe size and i've hiked a ton, hell I just did 150 KM last week over 8 days...

Sounds like you are a very experienced hiker with well-broken in shoes.

Most people who walk the Camino have never hiked more than a mile or two.
Most are not in prime condition.
Most have never put on hiking boots.
Most train ON the Camino.
Most people's feet DO swell.

You are lucky!

Sounds like you are a very experienced hiker with well-broken in shoes.

Most people who walk the Camino have never hiked more than a mile or two.
Most are not in prime condition.
Most have never put on hiking boots.
Most train ON the Camino.
Most people's feet DO swell.

You are lucky!

I don't walk in hiking boots :p but yes you are correct most people don't walk distances much, I just don't recall having my feet swell that much at any point in my hiking life (last 6 years or so).

Training on the Camino sounds like a terrible idea... though I wonder if that adds to the experience? Hrm... my biggest issues are always with rolling ankles when moving to quickly downhill in the woods.

Also (for you experienced Camino folk) does rubbing vaseline on your feet actually help much? I've read mixed results.

I've only tried the vaseline once and I think it did help.
My toes slid past each other instead of rubbing a blister.

Interesting. I am trying to figure if I should bring vaseline but I am trying to keep things out of bag because I have so much in bag already...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had been walking in "well-fitting" Lowa's for four months as I began my training. Recently, since I leave in 2 months, I began to walk longer and more often and all of a sudden I was getting toe blisters. I just traded the Lowa's for Salomon's in a half size larger. We shall see...

I had been walking in "well-fitting" Lowa's for four months as I began my training. Recently, since I leave in 2 months, I began to walk longer and more often and all of a sudden I was getting toe blisters. I just traded the Lowa's for Salomon's in a half size larger. We shall see...

It was only when my training walks extended to longer than 3 hours that my feet started to swell. Got Salomon hiking boots larger than I would normally, to accommodate for this swelling. I'm very glad I knew that when I was shoe shopping! But now I'm getting pain in one foot, feeling like plantar fasciitis, and I'm hoping that my new insoles will provide more support than what came with the boots. I leave in a few days, so I'm a wee bit nervous about the 800 kms ahead!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was only when my training walks extended to longer than 3 hours that my feet started to swell. Got Salomon hiking boots larger than I would normally, to accommodate for this swelling. I'm very glad I knew that when I was shoe shopping! But now I'm getting pain in one foot, feeling like plantar fasciitis, and I'm hoping that my new insoles will provide more support than what came with the boots. I leave in a few days, so I'm a wee bit nervous about the 800 kms ahead!
Angela, I feel for you! My podiastrist OKed my Salomon Ultra 2 GTX but I think I will go purchase a pair that is stiff through out eveng in the toes as my fasciitis is acting up again.

Because my left foot swells the minute the weather gets warm I have to buy a larger size to commodate it, a full size, and my other foot does just fine.

But don't ignore your pain, I did and am still suffering for it, and just wait until I get back from the Primitivo in June! Your insoles, custom? Made for fasciitis? I was given these to wear while alternating with my hard custom ones: http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/product_howard_dananberg.html, and a bargain at C$50 vs the custom ones. And whenever you find a bar, stop, buy an Aquarius or cafe con leche and ask for a bit of ice for your foot. Just carry a simple plastic bag to drop it into.

I don't know if these orthotics would work for you, but they are in Ontario, so you might be able to get them in time and they might be much better than anything found in retail. If you can, at least go to a "store" that specialises in orthotics, but better yet, try to see a podiatrist explaining your emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ohiowalker, I wore Brooks Cascadia 9 and went up one full size, my wife wore Merrill mid height hiking boots. We both wore wool socks and I tried sock liners for awhile but they squished my toes together too much. I alternated wearing Keen sandals every couple of days. We vaselined every day, sometimes when we took breaks also. We went the entire distance without blisters or problems........we did wear our gear for a fair amount of time prior to starting the camino. Enjoy, Buen Camino. Pete

FWIW, I had a visit to my podiatrist about why I always lose toenails. I have tried various shoe sizing techniques and he said it was not my shoes at all. At least not in my case. It was my socks, he said. He said the socks are lifting my toenails and with jogging, it was like repeated impacts to the toenails.

Not sure I agree with his suggestion of not wearing socks but will give it a try once my feet heal.

By the way... Why on earth do we need toenails anyway??? He laughed at me when I asked him. I should think we will eventually evolve to have no toenails!!!

I'm flying on April 13 from the States to start shortly after. I've read lots of input on this topic and did purchase a pair of Merrell's a full size larger than my normal size after using my regular trainers (training) for a several weeks doing 20-25k a day 4-5 times a week. I found the normal shoe sizing (for me) pretty much matched the comments on what happens to your feet. I've been in the full size larger Merrell shoe for the last month and for me, it has made all the difference but, we will see!
Well, I'm back having started St Jean on April 15 and arriving Santiago on May 20. At age 67 it is going down as the most memorable experience of my adult life. Guessing I might be in re-entry mode for a while or, maybe forever...
But back to shoes. I did no training on hills before departing and while my full size larger Merrell's were fine on the flats here at home I had difficulty with them on the hills. My foot moved around in the shoe and if I laced tighter my feet cramped. Too loose and it was an invitation for blisters. So I left my shoes in Tricastella and finished in Chaco sandals and socks which were great. So next time I'm going to wear a lighter trail runner type shoe along with the Chacos

Hello. Thanks to everyone for all the information and banter - it makes the preparation process fun and less daunting. I have long resisted the French love of buying all the very best equipment the minute they decide to take up a sport or activity, but having read the advice here and elsewhere, I decided some decent kit is needed for my camino in September. Armed with all the shared knowledge, I have chosen Salamon XA Pro trail shoes - they are light, waterproof (Goretex) with a solid sole that still has flexibility. I normally take a size 41 but took a size 42 for the Camino - the size 42 2/3 had slippage at the ankle that I didn't like. I wandered around the shop for an hour with my new backpack (Osprey Atmos 50L) and shoes before deciding finally. I will let you how this works out for me once I am on the path ...

€83,-
Yes, it is fun @Draganban buying kit, but dangerous to the bank balance. I'm good at watching the specials at the discount supermarkets, especially for clothing.

Draganban, keep that receipt, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel tempted to exchange tjat 50 l backpack for on 40 l. or less

In several blister threads I've seen advice that I should not get my normal shoe size for my Camino hiking shoes (I'm not planning to wear boots). Rather, that they should be either 1/2 or a full size larger than my normal size. Yesterday, I talked to someone at our local, specialty outdoors store (a good one, as far as I can tell) about that. She said a couple of things I hadn't seen mentioned on the forum, although perhaps I just haven't seen the right threads....

Buen Camino. Ohiowalker.
I buy hiking shoes and boots that fit me with hiking socks. (wear your favorite hiking socks into the store) I also alter my laces while hiking, especially before starting down a hillside or mountain path. I take breaks while hiking/walking and take my shoes or boots off at rests. When possible I elevate my feet at rest breaks. My hiking history comes from wilderness hiking in the US, but I've also done Camino style day hiking in England, Spain and France. Never lost a toenail, never even had one turn funny colors, etc. Very rarely get a blister, when I do it is usually a small one that requires only a plaster over it to protect it while it heals itself.

I would never recommend anyone buy shoes/boots at 1 full size above their normal shoe size.

Better option is to buy shoes/boots in the afternoon, after you have spent the entire day following your teenage daughter shop in a shopping mall, going into every dress shop 2, sometimes 3 times. If that doesn't make your feet swell, nothing will :eek:

Draganban, keep that receipt, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel tempted to exchange tjat 50 l backpack for on 40 l. or less
Agreed, a 50L pack is probably too large.

I use a 45L pack ... BUT ... I pack a CPAP machine in my backpack in addition to my other stuff, so if I took out the CPAP/hose/mask I could easily use a 35L pack.

Last edited:
@Melensdad day hiking is very different to the Camino. After a few hundred kilometres walking day after day, the feet flatten out lengthwise and spread. . .
I totally disagree with you.

The Camino is just a series of day hikes. A sequence of them which are repeated for 30-ish days. it is no different than any other long distance hike that covers similar distance. Whether it be the 200 mile John Muir Trail or the 2100 mile AT, the feet deal with the same thing. On the Camino, however, much lighter packs are used, much lighter footwear is used, much smoother terrain is encountered, and you actually get to sleep in beds, eat in cafes, sit in chairs at rest stops, etc.

Those of us who walk and/or hike daily perhaps have perpetually swollen feet?

But please explain to me the real difference between walking 10-ish miles a day around your hometown with a small pack and walking 10-ish miles a day in Spain?

Perhaps I am just a walker but I think that many folks provide some pretty bad advice by being very incomplete with their explanations.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I tried lots of packs and the confort of this one was unparalleled. I don't intend to stuff it full and there are lots of straps to compress the bag to its optimum size - I think it will be ok. I will be taking my gear in to the Alps Maritimes over the next few weeks to test it out - and I'm wearing the shoes at work as we speak - I suppose it is a good idea to wear them as much a possible before going - I shouldn't be afraid of over-using them :D

Another preperation I am making is to see my oestopath well in advance - I know from experiance that a well-aligned body saves a lot of effort and friction during a long trek.

Yes, it is fun @Draganban buying kit, but dangerous to the bank balance. I'm good at watching the specials at the discount supermarkets, especially for clothing.

Its the sales period here in France, but my pack and shoes were not on special offer - that would have been really nice. But its ok - this is a special time and worth a bit of investment - whatever keeps me on the path is worth it.

I totally disagree with you.

The Camino is just a series of day hikes. A sequence of them which are repeated for 30-ish days. it is no different than any other long distance hike that covers similar distance. Whether it be the 200 mile John Muir Trail or the 2100 mile AT, the feet deal with the same thing. On the Camino, however, much lighter packs are used, much lighter footwear is used, much smoother terrain is encountered, and you actually get to sleep in beds, eat in cafes, sit in chairs at rest stops, etc.

Those of us who walk and/or hike daily perhaps have perpetually swollen feet?

But please explain to me the real difference between walking 10-ish miles a day around your hometown with a small pack and walking 10-ish miles a day in Spain?

Perhaps I am just a walker but I think that many folks provide some pretty bad advice by being very incomplete with their explanations.
I'm sure everyone's feet are different, and maybe there are some whose feet did not change while walking a half-marathon or more per day for five or six weeks, but I can assure you that mine did expand/swell/grow during my training and walking the Camino. I'm not knowledgeable enough or professionally qualified to explain the reason for it it, but facts are facts. Based on advice from others, I originally purchased a pair of Merrill Moabs 1/2 size larger (US 10-1/2) than I normally wore at that point. After six months of walking 25-30 miles per week in training, I noticed my toes hitting the ends of those boots. I took those boots back to REI, and thanks to their amazing return policy, they exchanged them for a pair another 1/2 size larger, or US 11. So I ended up with footwear a full size larger than my pre-Camino shoe size, and now, almost two years since completing the CF, my feet have stayed the same full size larger than my pre-Camino size. Of course I guess my feet may have stayed the same and the boots and all the other shoes in my closet may have shrunk during this time :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't mean to sound snarky, but it may pay to listen to the practical experience of those who have been there, done that.

€60,-
. . . Seriously, I don't mean to sound snarky, but it may pay to listen to the practical experience of those who have been there, done that.
As I have stated many times I am a walker, many miles per day, most every day, with a small pack and poles. I've also done long hikes across southern Spain, France and coast to coast England, in addition to wilderness backpacking and hiking here in the US. Perhaps my feet are perpetually swollen?

I'm sure everyone's feet are different
Perhaps my feet are perpetually swollen?
Completely agree with both of these statements. It depends on the history and nature of the particular feet. I have worn generously sized shoes for so many years of regular but ordinary walking that my normal pre-camino shoes were already a half-size larger than I wore as a younger person. Maybe if you are new to walking, or haven't had several pregnancies to expand your feet, the Camino experience will be a greater shock to your feet. I have short toes that never reach the end of a shoe that is the right width and shape.

That is why I say to buy the right size, not a size larger than the right size!

The Camino is just a series of day hikes. .
This is only true when it comes to what equipment to bring (as in no cooking equipment) not to the day after day after day impact on the body that never gets the chance to fully recuperate.

This is really interesting. Since deciding to do the Camino I have so far increased my weekly walking from 35k to 50k. Just that change has produced the following.

A pair of RM Williams boots I bought about 3 months ago are so uncomfortable I cannot stand wearing them at all.
I've stopped wearing mid-weight socks and liners and just gone to double liners only.
A two week old pair of Merrell mid boots get really uncomfortable at the end of the day to the extent that my feet are burning.
I tried on about 10 pair of trail runners yesterday and the extra flexibility is the key for comfort but have yet to be tested in real conditions.
Size has gone from a 41 to a 44 but it's the last that makes a difference, wide forefoot and narrow heel.
I also have a pair of Amuri zero sandals which I'm waiting to use in summer to strengthen the foot and see where it ends up. Goodness knows what hobbit feet I'll have by next year

This is only true when it comes to what equipment to bring (as in no cooking equipment) not to the day after day after day impact on the body that never gets the chance to fully recuperate.
I am sure you edited my quotation for the sake of brevity, however doing so also somewhat changes the meaning of what I wrote.

You selected ONLY the following words of my to quote: The Camino is just a series of day hikes. and then replied to that portion of what I wrote.

I clearly wrote the following:

But as you can see from the full statement of my remark, anyone who is into long distance walking/hiking is facing the same day-after-day grind and wearing down of the body. Often for much longer periods of time. The John Muir Trail is typically a 20-25 day hike, but involves real mountains, massive elevation changes, rough wilderness. The AT is typically nearly a 4 month long hike through wilderness.

Even someone who hikes/walks 20km in their community, and does so daily, faces better conditions than wilderness hikers because they get to sit in chairs, sleep in beds, and eat something other than dehydrated rations. But I don't understand how the 'day after day after day impact on the body that never gets a chance to fully recuperate' is actually different? Explain please because I am clearly missing something.

This is really interesting. Since deciding to do the Camino I have so far increased my weekly walking from 35k to 50k. Just that change has produced the following.

A pair of RM Williams boots I bought about 3 months ago are so uncomfortable I cannot stand wearing them at all.
I've stopped wearing mid-weight socks and liners and just gone to double liners only.
A two week old pair of Merrell mid boots get really uncomfortable at the end of the day to the extent that my feet are burning.......
I'd recommend going back to my earlier post, as well as posts by many others, and make sure you take breaks, removed your walking shoes, elevate your feet at your breaks, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd recommend going back to my earlier post, as well as posts by many others, and make sure you take breaks, removed your walking shoes, elevate your feet at your breaks, etc.

It's been about three time since I've travelled over 20k on foot and the last time it was running (but ended up hobbling for three days after and sore for a couple of weeks). I'm in a discovery stage about what works for me at my stage of life and I appreciate the advice and tips. It seems like what I could get away with - or what my imagination thought I could get away with - when younger, is no longer applicable.

The putting the feet up is one of the things I've not tried so that's the next thing I'm going to try.

@rossmckay , my guess is that it is not the footwear that is the issue but the foot. On my first Camino I suffered. Did not understand how pthers did it. The ball of my feet were incredibly painful. Blamed the shoes. Bought super boot, with memory foam. After 2 days I was walking in Crocs! Turns out I have flat feet and need orthotics. As for super soft shoes: I would think twice, but a podiatrist will help you pick the right pair.

As I have stated many times I am a walker, many miles per day, most every day, with a small pack and poles. I've also done long hikes across southern Spain, France and coast to coast England, in addition to wilderness backpacking and hiking here in the US. Perhaps my feet are perpetually swollen?
OK then, go for it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back