• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you a hiker or a walker?

Out of interest (I doubt I will be doing it!), who quoted 10k, how many days etc, or did you work it out yourself?
I've been considering it for a while, multiple sites quote "$8 - 12,000 ". This includes the official PCTA website, backpacker.com, and Reddit. It's gone up significantly since 2018 when the pcta website suggested four to eight thousand.
Logically enough it is also suggested that is significantly cheaper for domestic hikers.

Cabins hosting up to 7, gluten free and vegan, heated saltwater pool. Fisterra-Muxia
I've been considering it for a while, multiple sites quote "$8 - 12,000 ". This includes the official PCTA website, backpacker.com, and Reddit. It's gone up significantly since 2018 when the pcta website suggested four to eight thousand.
Logically enough it is also suggested that is significantly cheaper for domestic hikers.
Ah thank you! Gosh it sounds such a fantastic thing to do, as does the AT! I’m useless with a tent, scared of heights, bears and all sorts!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What is the distinction between the two?
I used to “hike” thirty-some odd years ago. This involved a backpack with survival items (water, food, small med kit, and emergency shelter blanket with item for signaling for help). A cellphone with a wilderness outreach capability was not a thing then.

Many decades later, having gotten accustomed to long walks, short “hikes” between trails while skiing, I’d forgotten what a REAL hike could be.

Two weeks ago my husband and I were invite to join his cousin on a hike. It was in Mexico, on an off day from snorkeling & diving.

Well, I should have gotten a clue when I saw the size of her ‘daypack.’ We climbed up and down established trails, though the signage was minimal. She also kept using her phone maps to reconnoiter, “to make sure we didn’t get lost.”

Three hours and 8.5 miles later, I realized we had completed a HIKE. Don’t misunderstand my situation. I’ve walked the Frances and the Portuguese. And I am returning to the CF this June. This was in no way similar…unless you’re on the primativo?😳

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are some simple huts along the AT, I believe, but many just pitch a bivy or tent to avoid rodents and other pests that also have taken up residence in some of the shelters.
My son has hiked half of the AT (1000 miles). He carried a tent and rarely used the shelters, even though he had a lot of rain in the Spring.

(Multiple times having hiked the JMT/HST).
Of the long distance backpacking hikes my son has done, the John Muir Trail has been his favorite, the Colorado Trail next. He liked the AT the least. It is often called the green tunnel and has far fewer views. He also felt it was actually more difficult than the others because it constantly goes up and down staying on the high ridge lines.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Incidentally it's 4,265 km long. Elite hikers have done it sub 100 days, most take five months.
Karel Sabbe (a Belgian dentist) beat his own record this year, and ran it - yes, ran - in 46d 12h 50m.
I guess that he had a support crew, is that correct?

I guess that he had a support crew, is that correct?
Correct, I believe a crew of three. From memory the fastest unsupported time is 55 days.
Pretty incredible when you think how long it is, that it's a technical trail, and that the average is 150 days. You go from the desert to the High mountains, the elevation gains are substantial, and the climate literally changes along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the French word, "randonneur" which literally translates to "random go-er" or "wanderer" which properly translates to "hiker".

It seems much better than the alternate French word, "marcheur" which seems too military.

-Paul

Hiking sounds, to me, like some sort of sporting activity or what the survivors and avoiders of the First enormous.?!; up did in the 20’s & 30’s. Anyway, my gran told me “walk. That’s what we do.” So that’s what I do

I agree. I almost cringe when I hear someone speaking of "hiking" the Camino. To my ear, to call it "hiking" is a diminution of what we do. Yes, I suppose hiking vs walking is a bit of distinction without a difference. But, somehow, referring to it as hiking . . . well, it almost sounds disrecpectful. A long distance pilgrim oriented contemplative walk is not just a "hike".

I claim to be a walker and not a hiker, as I associate hiking with uncertain footing. I have walked many a well defined trail in National Parks, some with steep inclines/declines. I’m walking until I have to focus on where I’m stepping and/or boulder scrambling. I have done a small amount of that…just enough to tell myself to leave it to others who might enjoy the challenge.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Languages are continually changing and evolving in ways that are beyond the control of any individual, or to the chagrin of our Gallic cousins, any committee. Lexicography is arguably the most hubristic of human activities.

We all form ideas of what words mean when we are younger, and stick with these even as the world changes around us.

Young people are reshaping the linguistic relationship between hiking and walking even as we type, and they too will eventually be appalled by what the next generation does with it.

I think about this occasionally when friends invite me for a hike, but the hiking spot is an hour or more drive away, meaning that we would spend more time in the car than on the trail. I usually decline these invitations. While I like to walk and hike, I'm really more interested when I have a destination to walk to, even just around my own town. There are plenty of hiking spots within a half hour of my house, and I'm happy to meet my friends to hike nearby, but I'm not a "hardcore" hiker who is always looking for a new trail.

Anyone else?
I agree with you. I'd rather walk to destinations enjoying sights and people along the way. I live near the 48 mountain peaks in New Hampshire USA, part of the Appalachian Trail...zero interest. I did climb many of the 4000 footers years ago, but there needs to be something a bit more than trees and stones to keep me interested now.

I think about this occasionally when friends invite me for a hike, but the hiking spot is an hour or more drive away, meaning that we would spend more time in the car than on the trail. I usually decline these invitations. While I like to walk and hike, I'm really more interested when I have a destination to walk to, even just around my own town. There are plenty of hiking spots within a half hour of my house, and I'm happy to meet my friends to hike nearby, but I'm not a "hardcore" hiker who is always looking for a new trail.

Anyone else?
When I was getting ready for Del Norte, I walked and hiked. I did have to find some hiking trails around where I lived and most the time they were about 20 minutes from where I was. I was also able to hike the same trail to get into the 20 km a day rhythm. Although my days on the Del Norte were longer, it was still a good practice. I have to say that I agree with you that when I walk, I do need to have a destination, and when I hike, I need to reward myself when I finish hiking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When you carry a home with you it's hiking.
Not sure I agree with you here. For me, hiking is when the terrain is such that I have to watch every single footstep to ensure I don’t twist an ankle, and perhaps where there’s a bit of scrambling and maybe ropes and ladders, and I come home the same day. When you carry a home with you, that’s backpacking. I don’t do backpacking. 😊

Not sure I agree with you here. For me, hiking is when the terrain is such that I have to watch every single footstep to ensure I don’t twist an ankle, and perhaps where there’s a bit of scrambling and maybe ropes and ladders, and I come home the same day. When you carry a home with you, that’s backpacking. I don’t do backpacking. 😊
I agree completely with you - right up until you say that carrying a home with you is backpacking. I spent 10 years backpacking, and then I used hostels; the generosity of friends, family and sometimes complete strangers, or other such accommodation. I also slept under Bridges, in train stations, and a few other - sometimes oddball - places.

The only time I ever carried a home ( tent) was when I was hiking, mostly in Australia, Canada and Scandinavia.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In my thinking, “walking” is casual and hiking is more energetic. I wear the same shoes for either and the environment is also not a distinction for me. I walk a lot, and bike. “Hiking” in the sense of applying more energy, is rare for me.

I think we can all see that there is a fair amount of semantic overlap and regional variation in the words we use for moving around on foot at a slower pace than running or jogging. I think we've also seen variation in which types of that movement appeal to which people, with some being broader in their preferences and some preferring to stick mostly to one or few types.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In my thinking, “walking” is casual and hiking is more energetic. I wear the same shoes for either and the environment is also not a distinction for me. I walk a lot, and bike. “Hiking” in the sense of applying more energy, is rare for me.
On the Caminos I usually consider myself mostly walking, but sometimes I need to apply more energy when the trail morphs into a hike for a while; it's not exclusively just one or the other.

Perhaps the appropriate verb is chosen for us by location or circumstance:

I’ve rambled on the Yorkshire Moors and tramped the Milford Track,
Hiked half the Appalachian, still hoping to go back.

I’ve trudged up half the Munros, been trekking in Nepal
Bushwalked in the Dandenongs where Kookaburras call

I’ve scrambled, slogged & struggled to Kokoda in the wet.
Once fifty miles in fifteen hours I stomped to win a bet

Paras tab and Royals yomp, to them I raise my hat,
And wistfully remember days when I was part of that.

I’ve clambered up and stumbled down some mighty peaks and fells.
Then wandered lonely as a cloud by nodding daffodils.

I’ve drifted, sauntered, ambled, strolled on many pilgrim roads
I’ve traipsed along without a care not noticing the load

For fifty years on ANZAC Day I’ve marched beside the blokes
To be in step behind a band still grabs me by the throat

Me encanta caminar. I hope I always will.
While legs and back can do their job and get me up that hill

What’s a word? It matters not. The essence is the same
Put one before another, then put it there again.

I’m the universal walker. I’m everyone who knows
The simple and unfettered joy of being on the road.

And when they ask how I’ll depart … as compost or as soot?
I might reply, “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll go on foot.”

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Perhaps the appropriate verb is chosen for us by location or circumstance:

I’ve rambled on the Yorkshire Moors and tramped the Milford Track,
Hiked half the Appalachian, still hoping to go back.

I’ve trudged up half the Munros, been trekking in Nepal
Bushwalked in the Dandenongs where Kookaburras call

I’ve scrambled, slogged & struggled to Kokoda in the wet.
Once fifty miles in fifteen hours I stomped to win a bet

Paras tab and Royals yomp, to them I raise my hat,
And wistfully remember days when I was part of that.

I’ve clambered up and stumbled down some mighty peaks and fells.
Then wandered lonely as a cloud by nodding daffodils.

I’ve drifted, sauntered, ambled, strolled on many pilgrim roads
I’ve traipsed along without a care not noticing the load

What’s a word? It matters not. The essence is the same
Put one before another, then put it there again.

I’m the universal walker. I’m everyone who knows
The simple and unfettered joy of being on the road.

And when they ask how I’ll depart … as compost or as soot?
I might reply, “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll go on foot.”

This may be my favourite Forum post of all time!

I think that many people who are accustomed to hiking in the US often initially associate the Camino with hiking the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trails. They imagine it as a wilderness form of hiking where a tent, stove, etc may be needed. At least at first that was what I thought. I pack differently for a hike, a walk, and a Camino.
Absolutely true! Thank you for highlighting this fact.

There are a tremendous number of sites on the Camino , Roman , Visigoth , and Reconquesta. Every day you are tempted to go off the trail for a unique location. Read up before you go. I alway find out afterwards what I missed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Anyone else?
I identify myself as a long walker.

I chanced on this thread today - it’s ANZAC day. A most significant day for many who remember.
Buen camino.

Cabins hosting up to 7, gluten free and vegan, heated saltwater pool. Fisterra-Muxia

Anyone else?
I would consider myself more of a hiker than a walker. I like multi-day outings with a backpack and the necessary gear for the hike. Although, I've always been a biker and have rediscovered the fun and benefit that comes from two-wheeling trails. Not too mention how much farther I can travel, and how much more I can see in a day. Walker, hiker, biker...whatever you see yourself as or prefer, just keep on keepin' on and enjoy the outdoors!

Trecile, thanks for this post! I, too, have thought about this and have found the discussion very interesting, especially how language can shape our perceptions. Very thought provoking.

I, too, consider myself a walker, not a hiker - I just like to walk, mostly locally from my house without having to drive somewhere to get started, but also at least once/week I do drive to a local nature preserve to walk on trails in nature and get more elevation - my pace is slower there than walking on roads because of uneven surfaces and having to pick my way up and down rocky or wet areas. I usually walk about 12 miles, usually at least 5-6 hours, so it feels worth the drive (walking locally, a 12-miler would be more like a 4 hour commitment). I would do it more often if I lived closer to open areas (admit I'm a little jealous of the posters who have this!), because I don't enjoy having to drive 30 minutes to get there and get back in the car when I'm done. I haven't really been tempted to drive farther for other places - I mostly explore "new" places on trips to other states or countries (New Zealand is next, Feb 2024 walking trip on South Island!).

I've never really thought of what I do as "hiking", that in my mind conjures up something more challenging in terms of gear and more technical or otherwise challenging trails - definitely not on local streets, ha!

I live in hilly Connecticut, in a town where there's not a lot of heavy car traffic, town center about 3 miles away, and a NY town 4 miles in the other direction, but I seldom walk to a "destination" or run errands, I just walk one of several loops and return home, 4-12 miles, depending, rarely stopping - there's something very satisfying about feeling the miles accumulate, watching the seasons change, and just plain moving. It's not like being in nature, but it is beautiful here in all seasons and enough variety that I enjoy it, and one of the reasons I think I was attracted to walking the Camino - can't wait to go back!
I am in the Northeast part of CT and looking for new trails in CT to hike. I am looking to doing a Camino soon.

I just moved from CT to coastal MA - not quite the same as walking coastal Spain, but walking feels evocative of my experience on the Norte even without the dramatic cliffs. Typing this, my first post since moving, I am struck by the "CT" in my posting name - it's now a bit misleading, right? I am now only 3 miles from Wompatuck State Park, with miles of trails (and hopefully some elevation!), waiting for cooler weather to explore when I can cover up against ticks, but am a happy walker here with great places to explore as I prepare for my next Camino, soon I hope!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think that many people who are accustomed to hiking in the US often initially associate the Camino with hiking the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trails. They imagine it as a wilderness form of hiking where a tent, stove, etc may be needed. At least at first that was what I thought. I pack differently for a hike, a walk, and a Camino.
I think walking vs hiking based upon a definition of countryside, or not, is rather relative, depending upon one perspective of countryside,if that is your criteria on defining it. Surely hiking the Napoleon route, and perhaps its parallel lower route might be considered countryside? And what about leaving Astorga to Molineseca, or Villafranca to O'Cebreiro. In fact for someone who lives in a city, I can imagine most most of the Camino Frances ,outside its cities, as being considered countryside. The distinction is relative to one’s experience.

Anyone else?
My thoughts from 7 years ago post Camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sauntering-not-hiking.51205/

Don’t know if it’s helpful or not.

The distinction is relative to one’s experience.
True for so many issues and questions here on the forum. One reason why it is very difficult to give any definitive answers to any but the simplest of questions. "Is SJPDP to Roncesvalles too far to walk in a single day?" is one of my all time favourites. How can you answer a question like that without knowing the fitness and experience of the person asking?

Rick, not far from me is the "Ice Age Trail" that meanders nearly 1200 miles all through Wisconsin. Problem is that many sections are little used and overgrown. Volunteers are always needed to keep little used sections open. I assume the New England Trail has similar related issues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I assume the New England Trail has similar related issues.
I haven't been on it for close to 50 years. I did around 90 miles in Massachusetts and an adjoining trail in New Hampshire on a multi-day hike once. I only had one problem with it, the trail and it's markings disappeared at one point. I saw a faint path through the woods and followed it. It came to a good trail with a tree marked as being part of the trail I was following so off I went. A half hour later at the top of a good sized hill there was a lovely view. The same one I had seen an hour previously. I had only noticed the trail markers in the north direction for a few days and none of the ones for heading south. Once I returned to the path I made sure I took the trail going north, not south.

So while on the PCT I tend to bring the camino up at lunch when a group of randoms meets around a water source, each of us filtering our water, and eating like tortillas with salami and cheese and nutritional bars that we had to carry.

I say, "you know, on the camino, right now instead of sitting on a rock by the side of a stream we'd be at a cafe. And we'd have a shower every night, laundry, and a good dinner."

I call it "Glam-packing".

They laugh and I can tell in their head they are thinking about their next adventure, and considering a camino.

I add, the camino is the same it's just different.

The parts that are similar are traveling 18 miles a day (or so / depending), and the camaraderie. People bonding over shared challenges. Great friends met either way. People that smell much better on the Camino btw.

It's the same, but different.

I thought this forum was about walking to Santiago, ref. the domain name. For the rest of the world, outside USA. (we are quite a few), the trails in the US are completely uninteresting. I wish we could stick to discussing the Camino trails leading to Santiago, if you don't mind. There is a big world outside USA.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For the rest of the world, outside USA. (we are quite a few), the trails in the US are completely uninteresting.
What is surprising to me at least is the number of international travelers I've met on the trail. I mean I've met Italians, French, Dutch, British, South Africans, Kiwis, Australians, Asians, and every 5th person seems to be German. I would qualify your statement with "me" rather than the "rest of the world."

What is surprising to me at least is the number of international travelers I've met on the trail. I mean I've met Italians, French, Dutch, British, South Africans, Kiwis, Australians, Asians, and every 5th person seems to be German. I would qualify your statement with "me" rather than the "rest of the world."
Indeed. Tired of reading about some strange US bush walkings as/when this forum is dedicated to Santiago in Spain. Surely, there must be other forums discussing these US walks which are of completely no interest to the rest of the world?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Indeed. Tired of reading about some strange US bush walkings as/when this forum is dedicated to Santiago in Spain. Surely, there must be other forums discussing these US walks which are of completely no interest to the rest of the world?

A. You can opt out of reading any thread on the forum that you want. 😉

B. This thread is about the concept of walking vs hiking, and for many people where they are doing the activity makes a difference. People are just giving examples.

A. You can opt out of reading any thread on the forum that you want. 😉

B. This thread is about the concept of walking vs hiking, and for many people where they are doing the activity makes a difference. People are just giving examples.
Disagree.This forum is about walking to Santiago in Spain. Hence the URL of this site.

Edit: Various trails in the US are of no interest to the majority of the members (unless they are American, in which case this forum is of no interest to me). Please respect that a world outside the US exists.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Disagree.This forum is about walking to Santiago in Spain. Hence the URL of this site.

Edit: Various trails in the US are of no interest to the majority of the members (unless they are American, in which case this forum is of no interest to me). Please respect that a world outside the US exists.

Gosh @alexwalker why so harsh?
This thread is under miscellaneous topics afterall.

Screenshot_20240726_224254_Chrome.jpg

IMHO the discussion about walking/ hiking is very interesting and I remember we also discussed this in other threads about European trails.

Great thing about this forum that it is a house with many rooms. If you do not like one room, enter another 😉.

As a veteran member you must know by now how threads and topics can meander in different directions.

No reason to bash some nationalities.

I wish we could stick to discussing the Camino trails leading to Santiago
This is a fair enough comment, but @trecile points out how the discussion is connected. We tolerate and even enjoy some diversion, to some degree.

For the rest of the world, outside USA. (we are quite a few), the trails in the US are completely uninteresting.
I don't understand how you can speak for the rest of the world! That generalization is simply an unkind and jab.

On a slight tangent on the vocabulary we use. Does anyone else wince or shake their head when someone describes walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles as "climbing the Pyrenees"? :rolleyes:
Having climbed Mount St Helen's in the Cascades before it blew its top as well as McCartney Peak in the Olympics (Washington State), I confess to having walked over the Pyrenees four times... but it can be a strenuous walk...😉

We often have threads on other types of pilgrimages; example the Kumano Kodo and Shikoku 88 Temples Pilgrimages in Japan. Recently the California Missions Trail thread has been resurrected, and also a route in Costa Rica has been brought up again. What about the Trondheim or Gudbrandalen paths in Norway? No one seems to have batted an eye over those. I just pass by the ones I am not interested in...no big deal.

Most read last week in this forum

I am on CF right now and just stopped in Os Arroxos Crispeta bar in Trabadelo. A Spanish pilgrim had exactly the same order as me and he paid 6.50 euro and I was charged 10.00 euro!!! It is not...
My son is planning to do the Camino this autumn. He loves skateboarding (not the breakneck type - just for transport) and would like to take his skateboard. I did the Camino Frances seven years...
Hola, todos. It seems entirely likely this has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find any discussion. If (when!) one decides to have a day off from walking, is it possible to stay in...
Hi we will be in Pamplona on 28th July. We are Irish mostly from Armagh and would like to know where best to watch the all ireland gaa football final. Any Galway pilgrims walking too. Would...
In case you want to recreate this cake, here is an easy (and gluten-free) recipe, from a fairly well-known food maven. She's American but has lived and worked in Spain for a number of years...
Hi Camino pilgrims Thank you for having me on your forum. I will be travelling the Camino again this September,my second trip, and was wondering if it is acceptable to stay in the hostels and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back