• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I just checked on Wikipedia and got this: “In computing, an avatar is a graphical representation of a user or the user's character or persona”. Fair enough. But I’ve often wondered about members’ choices. Having nothing better to do at the moment I’ve just been scanning through a few notable examples.

@ivar is perfect. Not only is he smiling in Santiago - who wouldn’t be? - but he actually has an open laptop. Guess what’s on it folks!

But who next? I have to choose @C clearly . This is apparently not a lady you’d want to cross, (she is a moderator after all), but she looks VERY CROSS. Is there a teacher’s cane hiding behind that intimidating skirt?

Contrast that with @peregrina2000. Composed. She looks just right for a lady who’s been walking caminos since the middle ages. And let’s not leave out @mspath, who’s in the same category. She is off already, almost out of the picture.

Until recently @JabbaPapa was a mysterious figure, on a different planet to most of us - there he is gazing out into space. But then the mystery was dashed when he recently posted a picture of himself, and guess what, he didn’t need to - he looks just like JabbaPapa.

A special case is @henrythedog. Of course we do realise that Henry the Human actually writes his posts, but this avatar is obviously a close representation of the latter persona. We know from his recent camino that his tongue is always hanging out for a beer.

Originality (and I dare I say, dishonesty) goes to @DavidTallan. Possibly the most instantly recognisable avatar. But hang on, when he first walked in 1989 he must have been what? - 3?

I had to look closely at @Fuertebrazos. He has obviously not got over a cameo appearance on “Below Deck”

Most accessible goes to @jungleboy. You feel like you’re already having a personal and hilarious conversation before your fingers even touch the keyboard.

Most enthusiastic - no competition here: @Damien Reynolds. Either he’s really enjoying his camino or he’s just won Powerball.

But thank god for people like @tomnorth who just give you the goods. This is a guy you can trust with your backpack.

Oh, @Tincatinker. I knew I’d seen your picture before - on the dust jacket of “Schindler’s List” (I should say "Schindler's Ark"). The sunglasses distracted me.

OK. I’ll get back to my Spanish language study.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suddenly realized I did not have a photo of myself for this forum. I have very few photos of myself on Camino because I am generally not a selfie person and I know that if I need to know what I look like I can look in the mirror. :D This pic was taken about 3km outside of Astorga and by that time in my Camino I had learned the value of just sitting down for a few minutes, even if my destination was only 30 minute away.

I am a tree. Trees usually represent life and growth in all kinds of stories. But you can also make the case that trees are observers, witnessing the evolution of humans and the planet around them. All in all I found it a fitting symbol for the journey I began by unexpectedly becoming a pilgrim.

Also, trees don't move from where they stand and I tend to walk a fair bit. Private joke, but I have now given it away.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Funny! I tend to avoid posting photos of myself on any social media sites, so I chose my avatar this year (after not having one for several years) by photographing a favorite piece of art that I purchased nearby the cathedral in 2017. I absolutely love the piece; it brings me joy and peace and reminds me of my first Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just checked on Wikipedia and got this: “In computing, an avatar is a graphical representation of a user or the user's character or persona”. Fair enough. But I’ve often wondered about members’ choices. Having nothing better to do at the moment I’ve just been scanning through a few notable examples.

@ivar is perfect. Not only is he smiling in Santiago - who wouldn’t be? - but he actually has an open laptop. Guess what’s on it folks!

But who next? I have to choose @C clearly . This is apparently not a lady you’d want to cross, (she is a moderator after all), but she looks VERY CROSS. Is there a teacher’s cane hiding behind that intimidating skirt?

Contrast that with @peregrina2000. Composed. She looks just right for a lady who’s been walking caminos since the middle ages. And let’s not leave out @mspath, who’s in the same category. She is off already, almost out of the picture.

Until recently @JabbaPapa was a mysterious figure, on a different planet to most of us - there he is gazing out into space. But then the mystery was dashed when he recently posted a picture of himself, and guess what, he didn’t need to - he looks just like JabbaPapa.

A special case is @henrythedog. Of course we do realise that Henry the Human actually writes his posts, but this avatar is obviously a close representation of the latter persona. We know from his recent camino that his tongue is always hanging out for a beer.

Originality (and I dare I say, dishonesty) goes to @DavidTallan. Possibly the most instantly recognisable avatar. But hang on, when he first walked in 1989 he must have been what? - 3?

I had to look closely at @Fuertebrazos. He has obviously not got over a cameo appearance on “Below Deck”

Most accessible goes to @jungleboy. You feel like you’re already having a personal and hilarious conversation before your fingers even touch the keyboard.

Most enthusiastic - no competition here: @Damien Reynolds. Either he’s really enjoying his camino or he’s just won Powerball.

But thank god for people like @tomnorth who just give you the goods. This is a guy you can trust with your backpack.

Oh, @Tincatinker. I knew I’d seen your picture before - on the dust jacket of “Schindler’s List” (I should say "Schindler's Ark"). The sunglasses distracted me.

OK. I’ll get back to my Spanish language study.
Got it in one. My only contribution to our partnership is opposable thumbs.

Is there a teacher’s cane hiding behind that intimidating skirt?
Maybe. If you are familiar with the original Velasquez piece, you know that the image represents an innocent young girl. I love the mixed message - online, you don't know which C Clearly you are dealing with.
112859-8ba1ef679256c3748f6938929df28bd3.pngCC1.jpgCC3.JPG
(I have actually used the schoolmarm one a few times.)
A current photo would be disappointing, though.

Attachments

• CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a tree.
OK @Purky. That is complicated but I get it. However, I am distracted by the statement under your avatar - "The Dutch Guy".
Now, we've all seen the movie, so a little more of "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!" might have appealed to us.
My avatar used to be a crop from this photo I took of a lightly vandalized sign found along the way.
I seriously considered this one, but I was too perplexed to offer any insight! However, I really like the name of your avatar. It's important to know that we're talking to Rick, not Peg.
I used to have a photo of me, but I changed it to my version of a Menu del Dia, a large beer and a Magnum.
I like this. We're back in Henry territory.
Just Phil and I in front of the cathedral in 2016.
I used to wonder what exactly was sticking out of your backpack. Got it! The scaffolding!
Maybe. If you are familiar with the original Velasquez piece
Grateful for your considerate reply. I can now stop being nervous. Is this a ceramic piece that you own? You have to admit that the hand-on-hips and elbows out are rather confronting if you do not realise that you are looking at a Velasquez infanta. Whatever.
Got it in one. My only contribution to our partnership is opposable thumbs.
You were much too easy.

I’ll take it! My avatar is me at the 100km to go marker on the Geira e dos Arrieiros last year - one of only a few acceptable photos of me!

P.S. When I met @trecile in Lisbon this year the first thing she said was, ‘Where’s your buff?’ 🤣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A Man is as good as his hat,
-mine is the symbol of my northern hemisphere, the protection against the rainy summers!
It is changed to a summer straw hat when in Spain

@Peregrinopaul, I am absolutely loving this thread and your comments on the Avatars. It has also stimulated a bit of personal conversation from members, too, on their choices, which is fun to read.
My Avatar comes from a picture I took on my first Camino in 2015 of a plaque on a door somewhere before I ended my day in Villafranca del Bierzo. I liked it because it was a beautiful metal shell on a wood background and I loved its color.
(It's also coincidently the color of my backpack.)Screenshot_20221120-065505~2.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nick without the buff is like Clark Kent without glasses 🤓
I'm a real sucker for these canine avatars. What a lab!
I liked it because it was a metal shell on a wood background and I loved its color.
Yes, it is indeed a gem - and I'm not being funny.😍
A Man is as good as his hat,
...but your avatar went over my head until you told pointed out that it was a hat!

@Peter Fransiscus, where there is love, there is a peace.

Thanks for this fun thread @Peregrinopaul! I changed my avatar to one of my favorite pictures from my 2016 Camino. It's titled Stopping to Smell the Flowers on the Camino. How silly that I was using a generic photo until I read the wonderful responses of why/how other pilgrims chose their avatar. Whew! I feel so much better!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've just realised that I missed out a very important one in my OP.

Most disappointing: @Kathar1na. What on earth was she THINKING!
I'm thinking that I should start a competition for her new avatar.
I'll throw in my two cents-worth.
IMG_8ECDAADC1B24-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most disappointing: @Kathar1na
IMG_8ECDAADC1B24-1.jpeg
I love that avatar for @Kathar1na! The brains/encyclopedia of the forum.

This thread got me thinking - I've had my current avatar so long (a picture of me by a mojón on my first Camino that I put through an artistic effects filter) I don't know what I used before!
I don't suppose that there is a way to view our previous avatars.

I've just realised that I missed out a very important one in my OP.

Most disappointing: @Kathar1na. What on earth was she THINKING!
View attachment 137185
This gets my vote for @Kathar1na’s new avatar!

Not just any lab, have you seen a lab with slightly slanted Asian eyes?? 👁 like her Mommy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was 25 when I did my first Camino. The avatar is from a drawing that my wife did of me after my 2016 Camino, while dressed for Camino, to use in the stamp I had made for my 2018 Camino. But now I'm going to have to keep clean-shaven on all my Caminos to match the stamp.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My Avatar is a yellow brick (in french brique jaune) on a kitchen scale.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Avatar is a yellow brick (in french brique jaune) on a kitchen scale.
Is this a test @La Brique Jaune ? Are we into the realm of arcane symbolism? Ah, no ! Got it!
"...I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road"

Last edited:
Time to update. Although I might go back to the old one.
You have forstalled my inclusion of your previous avatar in my next chapter. The original was subtly kinetic - there was a swish to the skirt that that embodied effortless progress along the way.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Funny! I tend to avoid posting photos of myself on any social media sites, so I chose my avatar this year (after not having one for several years) by photographing a favorite piece of art that I purchased nearby the cathedral in 2017. I absolutely love the piece; it brings me joy and peace and reminds me of my first Camino.
Hi Suzanne, thanks for explaining the origin of your avatar. I wondered what was in the picture you use. It reminded me of foto’s I have seen of ancient body’s found in peat fields in The Nederlands. The artwork you bought must look wonderful in reality.
My avatar is a foto made just after I collected my Compostela in may this year. Never felt so happy before, and it shows.
1669048718317.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh dear what happened? haircut, somber look, something must have happened on the Caminho Portugues from Lisbon, because the last time I checked, about a week ago, he was in Lisbon and had the award winning avatar!
Maybe an alter ego? Can't be the @Damien Reynolds as that original avatar, can it?

I don't really have one, but the W not only is my entire first name, it's also the first letter of my middle name and both initials for "Wandering Weirdo." If I were to post a photo, it would be my 1972 high school photo. Then you'd never recognize me on the Camino—no necktie nor three-piece suit; no hair; and no tan. I think more representative of my lifestyle-wise would be a world map with a red dot every place I have slept. But reduced to avatar size, no one would be able to figure out what it is.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back