• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cats on the Camino: Strays or Pets? Etiquette for Feeding Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I've noticed a lot of cats in the background in various YouTube videos about the CF.

Question - are these cats strays? Or pets? Or a mix of both? Do pets tend to wear collars in Spain?

Another question - what's the etiquette around giving them food? Frowned upon?

I don't want to potentially contribute to any existing animal welfare problems by feeding stray cats if the locals don't want them fed, but if it's not an issue I'll probably carry around some sort of treats to share.

I'm not really a cat person, but I do love animals, and if a sweet and hungry-looking cat approaches me I'm going to want to give it a snack, unless of course that's considered a no-no by the locals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't comment about cats but I'd strongly advise against feeding or petting any dogs you come across loose. It can be very tempting when faced with a friendly animal. I'm not the only person to have found themselves followed a long distance by a dog who is then probably far from home and may not be reunited with their owner. My limited experience of cats is that they don't attach themselves quite so strongly to passersby.

Cats in the community of Canfranc Pueblo were mainly cared for by one or two people in the community who fed them. They are not usually exactly what I would call pets although I saw the neighborhood children carrying some of them them around in doll carriages, etc. from time to time. I never saw one with a collar. I love cats, but if you feed them they will hang around you and maybe even follow you. For that reason we did not feed the cats intentionally.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always take cat food with me on my Camino- poor little things. I am an animal lover and I found in Spain, Portugal and Italy have lots of poor strays unloved and hungry. i will always feed strays just as you give money to beggars so you should also look after the little animals. I’m sure there are more places with the same problem. sure some may be fed in little towns, but not all. i will always take cat kibble for the little ones. They are not only in towns but on the track as you walk. i have never had a cat or kitten follow me as they are too busy eating the food I leave them. I would say yes feed them.

Last edited:
Hmm, those scraps of kitty biccy you distribute aren’t likely to change their lives much. A meaningful donation to a local or national animal welfare charity might make a difference for the next generation. Cats in rural areas tend to be part of the ecosystem and the population will be self-sustaining and more welcome than tolerated. Stray cats in urban settings, overpopulation sustained by discarded food and the donations of the well intentioned, are more likely to be part of an ecological overburden with a significant impact on small mammal, bird and reptile survival.
If you see a cat in the background of a photograph you might make the perfectly reasonable assumption that it’s there because it lives there, not because it’s a stray

We had a kitty actually LEAD us on trail our second day on the Le Puy route… she clearly did this everyday, she was hoot. She seemed to know when to turn around. This is not advice nor reassurance… just a moment that your post reminded me of, she was like a dog!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are lots of strays in Spain, but there are also many well looked after pets. Some wear collars. Most are not shy. I found a very friendly kitty in O' Cebriero who spent hours sitting on mine and another pilgrim's lap. I always travel with cat kibble now, a habit that started on the Frances Camino in 2018 when I was heartbroken at the state of some of the strays, though as Tincatinker rightly points out, it won't make much difference, but if they get a bit from one or two pilgrims a day, it might just keep body and soul together and protect a bird or lizard or two! Just take care as there is rabies in Spain though it is officially rabies-free!

I've noticed a lot of cats in the background in various YouTube videos about the CF.

Question - are these cats strays? Or pets? Or a mix of both? Do pets tend to wear collars in Spain?

I don't want to potentially contribute to any existing animal welfare problems by feeding stray cats if the locals don't want them fed, but if it's not an issue I'll probably carry around some sort of treats to share.

I'm not really a cat person, but I do love animals, and if a sweet and hungry-looking cat approaches me I'm going to want to give it a snack, unless of course that's considered a no-no by the locals.
I would imagine barn cats are a thing in that region. Saw a lot catching and eating mice.

Hmm, those scraps of kitty biccy you distribute aren’t likely to change their lives much. A meaningful donation to a local or national animal welfare charity might make a difference for the next generation. Cats in rural areas tend to be part of the ecosystem and the population will be self-sustaining and more welcome than tolerated. Stray cats in urban settings, overpopulation sustained by discarded food and the donations of the well intentioned, are more likely to be part of an ecological overburden with a significant impact on small mammal, bird and reptile survival.
If you see a cat in the background of a photograph you might make the perfectly reasonable assumption that it’s there because it lives there, not because it’s a stray
Good response, have seens lots of cats, never a mouse.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I did Camino Frances in 2014, and we encountered lots of cats and dogs, most of them pets, but those stray ones were pretty friendly and accustomed to peregrinos. We are animal lovers, we even had an incident somewhere in Valencia cannot remember where but a group of us had a horse walk with us for about a mile. We fed some of the cats, cat food was pretty cheap, and met a lot of dogs walking the Camino. Had a cat we called “Greeter” do the tour with us in the Templar castle in Ponferrada. Enjoy Camino! Be yourself! BUEN CAMINO

Attachments

• AD0EC85E-357E-450D-9900-BB814C6FF7DB.jpeg
    AD0EC85E-357E-450D-9900-BB814C6FF7DB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
My wife and I did Camino Frances in 2014, and we encountered lots of cats and dogs, most of them pets, but those stray ones were pretty friendly and accustomed to peregrinos. We are animal lovers, we even had an incident somewhere in Valencia cannot remember where but a group of us had a horse walk with us for about a mile. We fed some of the cats, cat food was pretty cheap, and met a lot of dogs walking the Camino. Had a cat we called “Greeter” do the tour with us in the Templar castle in Ponferrada. Enjoy Camino! Be yourself! BUEN CAMINO
Possibly the best advice I’ve seen here, “ be yourself”…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although for many years walking in Spain, we’ve seen a lot of ‘pet cats”, who are well looked after, we have also seen hundreds and hundreds of stray/feral cats who are starving and will eat anything ….bread, cakes, even bananas, and yes we’ve fed them with whatever we had at the time

The few animal welfare/charities that we’ve spoken to have said that uncontrolled breeding of cats is rife and that cats are not spayed or neutered

It was only in February 2018 that Spain ratified an EU animal protection treaty more than 30 years after it was issued by the council of Europe (1987)
and less than a year ago (February 2022) did this law receive full legislative approval.
although we love cats it is hoped that we might now see less of the many hungry ones, and yes, we will continue to feed them when they crowd around us at “eating time” FA3043D2-CCD4-45AD-BB8E-5B633DC344E1.png

Yes I feed cats, goats and even horses if I have food.
In Fisterra I saw a person I guessed was a homeless person with a dog, and gave him dog food. It looked like a precarious life for them both.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I am a cat person! 😁 and a vet nurse and have volunteered in countries doing trap, neuter, return of street/feral cats. In the Camino Frances I carried pouches of cat food and gave them to cats who needed feeding. A neutered feral should have the top of his or her left ear cut off, or 'tipped', so I would have no hesitation feeding these.
Scraggy, skinny, pregnant cats I would feed as they are obviously experiencing bad welfare/not being fed enough. I did this a few times and was seen by locals and had no problems. But many of the cats I saw where definitely owned or at least looked after in some way, they were usually friendly, fatter and sometimes had a collar. These are general rules I follow for myself. I will not let an animal suffer if there is something I can do to help it. To me, it's not a cultural thing, it's a kindness and compassion thing. 😻 But that's just me. 😊

Domestic cats sometimes have large territory, up to a mile. They're also quite destructive to native small animals and birds as cats are very efficient predators. Many are completely feral and at times their numbers need to be controlled.
We always had cats when I lived in the country. Sometimes many hanging around. Semi domesticated. They'd come and go. Never would get too attached to them. They had a job to do. Rodent control, but unfortunately they'd kill songbirds too. I suppose the ones you see in rural Spain very similar. I certainly don't recommend feeding them. Same with the dogs or any animals domestic or wild.

We had a kitty actually LEAD us on trail our second day on the Le Puy route… she clearly did this everyday, she was hoot. She seemed to know when to turn around. This is not advice nor reassurance… just a moment that your post reminded me of, she was like a dog!
We had two big tomcats that would go on walks with me in the woods. I'd have the dog with me and he'd be right alongside but the cats would flank us and run ahead, exploring and even climbing trees. They'd always seem to lose interest in us and stop after a while and be back at the house already when we got home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I came across this group in Rabanal del Camino. Didn't for a moment think they were strays - just cat buddies hanging out enjoying the sunshine!
For sure in Spain as in other Latin countries they don’t have the pets (mainly cats) inside the house as we do in the States. They are strays, or live outside to appear to be strays, but they are well fed and cared for! Having cats myself they are super smart and opportunistic, they know where there are peregrinos there’s food! : )

Oh my, cats! One of my worst nights on the Camino was last year when I stayed at a small place in between towns. Just the 6 of us, the best shower of the Camino, really good food. But, and that is a huge BUT, I slept terribly, and it took me a long time to realise what was wrong... When I finally woke up enough to use my brain, I realised I had 3 cats sleeping on me :-D The owner had a lot of cats in the garden, and they got in and loved sleeping on me. I am both not used to cats and also allergic. Not a good experience.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I finally woke up enough to use my brain, I realised I had 3 cats sleeping on me :-D The owner had a lot of cats in the garden, and they got in and loved sleeping on me. I am both not used to cats and also allergic. Not a good experience.
Sounds fantastic to me! Reminds me of the dog I used to have who would sleep on top of me sometimes. Few things are better than sleeping with a warm furry animal :).

Oh my, cats! One of my worst nights on the Camino was last year when I stayed at a small place in between towns. Just the 6 of us, the best shower of the Camino, really good food. But, and that is a huge BUT, I slept terribly, and it took me a long time to realise what was wrong... When I finally woke up enough to use my brain, I realised I had 3 cats sleeping on me :-D The owner had a lot of cats in the garden, and they got in and loved sleeping on me. I am both not used to cats and also allergic. Not a good experience.
Yikes! I can’t imagine, not good with allergies

Yikes! I can’t imagine, not good with allergies
Luckily I take antihistamines when hiking because I am allergic to a ton of the flying bugs 😂 so I did not react that much. But the cat allergy means I have spent very little time with cats so the whole situation was so unfamiliar and lead to a terrible night!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's no getting away from cats in Spain and they are good independent hunters and generally do a good job of keeping rodents in check. Sure, they take the odd cute songbird or lizard, but it's nature at work, leave them to it. It's not necessary to feed them.
These guys have the run of the village..
Screenshot_20230107-234534_Gallery.jpg

For sure in Spain as in other Latin countries they don’t have the pets (mainly cats) inside the house as we do in the States. They are strays, or live outside to appear to be strays, but they are well fed and cared for! Having cats myself they are super smart and opportunistic, they know where there are peregrinos there’s food! : )
spanish people do have cats in the house it’s just they have loads of strays also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Male "barn cats" in Galicia sometimes disappear 1 or 2 days but always return to the "palleira". If I were one of these cats and I could choose to live in an apparment, after passing an operation, where I can't go out but being loved by a family and no more cold and wet days outside in the street, I don't know what I choose. Difficult question.

If you decide to feed stray cats, do it away from cafes or restaurants. If they associate bars and restaurants with being fed they start to beg and annoy customers.

Some are just wandering about near their homes, some are lost, some are strays, and some are feral, and among the latter some were born feral, whilst others may have either run away or been abandoned.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Absolutely spot on response.

We are in Gulf Shores as Snowbirds and every year where we stay there are ferel cats on the premises; usually with a litter. Two years ago the village started a neutering program to reduce the cat population which seems to have worked.🙂
I just saw these three cats this morning in the parking garage, but they run off if you get near.IMG_20230108_083803747.jpg.

There's no getting away from cats in Spain and they are good independent hunters and generally do a good job of keeping rodents in check. Sure, they take the odd cute songbird or lizard, but it's nature at work, leave them to it. It's not necessary to feed them.
These guys have the run of the village..
View attachment 139178
Actually loose roaming cats worldwide do more than take the odd songbird, lizard etc. They're actually quite destructive to populations of such, and while it is nature at work, it's an introduced species killing native species. I know people love them, but having many roaming about is not good and some places take steps to control their numbers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can't say I would have cared for that either. I don't want to stay in any albergue that allows domestic animals inside. I like dogs and cats but they do carry fleas as well as shed and dander. Not to mention dirt and fecal matter on their feet.

I would have hated this too - I'm very allergic to cats. Not only would I not want cats ON TOP OF ME during the night, I wouldn't want them wandering throughout the establishment, spreading dander everywhere.

Actually loose roaming cats worldwide do more than take the odd songbird, lizard etc. They're actually quite destructive to populations of such, and while it is nature at work, it's an introduced species killing native species. I know people love them, but having many roaming about is not good and some places take steps to control their numbers.
Right.. and us humans aren't thousands of times more destructive than any other species?

It's nature at work, and it's nature being interfered with.🙄

I'm not a cat fan in particular btw

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right.. and us humans aren't thousands of times more destructive than any other species?

It's nature at work, and it's nature being interfered with.🙄

I'm not a cat fan in particular btw
I honestly have no idea why you included that statement in your reply? It has nothing to do with the topic.
Anyway, the FACT of the matter is that domestic cats are invasive and destructive to native songbirds and other small animals.
There's a lot of articles and such about their impact on the internet and in publications, but this one from National Geographic is well done and informative. Probably one of the better one's out there.

Thank you for providing the link to the National Geographic piece. I'm sure it's totally balanced and objective.🙄 Others may find it informative, but I really can't be bothered debating this further with you.

Last edited:

I just found this thread. I see that there has already been a debate and it's a bit older, but since I happened to rescue a kitten from the Camino last year, I just can't resist to answer...

Yes, there are many stray cats in Spain, which includes the Camino.

There are pet cats, too, and those somewhere inbetween like barn cats or "village cats". But even more or less "owned" cats often do not get the kind of care an animal lover from another country/culture might expect. For example it seems normal to let unfixed cats roam freely, even if they have an owner and are pets. Where I live that would not only be considered reckless, but it's illegal here, also. In Spain it seems to be the norm and is probably one reason why there are so many street cats.

I've seen countless starving cats on my walks and always do feed them. It won't change their life but it does change that one day for them at least.

Contrary to what many people believe, a stray population won't go away by not feeding them. It only makes the colony more sick and leads to more problems. Cats breed even when starving. They're still domesticated animals, not wildlife, even if they don't have an owner. Their "freedom" is often romanticized, but in reality they live miserable and short lives without human help, they often die very young because of preventable diseases, parasites, lack of food, ect.

They're not part of the natural ecosystem, they're abandoned pets or the descendends of them. They depend on people.

It's human fault that such homeless or not well cared for domestic animals exist. So in my opinion, it's our responsibility to help them.

Some locals will not like it if you feed the cats, so maybe do it discretely. If you can afford it, maybe make a donation to a spanish spay/neuter program or a shelter, too, because spaying/neutering is the only thing that helps in the long run.

If you want to carry some treats:

Dry kibble is not really good cat food but still much better than the garbage street cats usually eat, it's cheap, lightweight, and has a long shelf life even in the heat. It's also available in most supermarkets.

So if you carry a few handful of that in a ziploc bag and give it to the starving cats when you meet them, you'll make them happy at least for a moment.

Greetings from my Camino kitten, who would have died without quick intervention, became a catigrino, and now lives a good life mainly indoors with a constantly full belly and all the medical care he needs.

Attachments

• IMG20220813134231.jpg
    IMG20220813134231.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG20221130205732.jpg
    IMG20221130205732.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG20220825200304.jpg
    IMG20220825200304.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG20220808104056.jpg
    12 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

[...]

Forgot to say: If you plan to carry/buy some food for the Camino cats, let me know. I have limited funds but would be happy to make at least a small donation.

Forgot to say: If you plan to carry/buy some food for the Camino cats, let me know. I have limited funds but would be happy to make at least a small donation.
Wow, what a kind offer! But no worries - if I can afford the plane ticket and the cost of walking the CF then I can afford to feed some hungry animals along the way.

I've already promised my daughter I'd post photos of the cats I meet along the way. She's not-so-secretly hoping I bring one home with me... :)

I'll be walking with some dry kibble, and on rest days I hope to be able to buy some tins of wet cat food and feed them something a bit more nutritious.

I understand some locals may not appreciate what I'm doing, so I'll try to be discrete. The hardest part will be walking away if I happen to meet a particularly sweet and sad-looking kitten...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm sure it's totally balanced and objective
Here you go, @Flog, something more meaty:

Their conclusion:
Domestic cats appear to be major predators in this typical English village.

Yes, people are more damaging.
But the cats - feral and otherwise - are commensals. They come with us. And just add another layer of damage onto an otherwise untenable situation for songbirds and small mammals.

The suffering of the cats (if they are underfed) is visible, and we quite naturally respond to it. The invisible suffering caused by the cats is something we conveniently ignore.

For the record - I like cats. But on the camino I limit my interaction with them to chin and ear scratchies.

I love cats, but many don't want to be petted or otherwise loved like we might a housepet at home.. Just be cautious that you don't get bit or scratched in the feeding process. Also please don't feed them in the entryway to the albergue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A lot of you won't like this, so I'm sorry, but cats are hunters. Extremely good ones. In my country (Australia) they have devastated wildlife, especially small mammals, reptiles and birds. The same has happened in New Zealand and some naturalists are claiming they do the same in Europe. Please don't feed them, unless you are prepared to do something to protect the songbirds they hunt.

What did Pat have to feed the cats?

I tried to take a picture of various cats, either sitting in a doorway or a window, but they almost always turned and walked away before I snapped it. They often seemed rather aloof.
She would buy small packs of Cat treats as we progressed.
Dogs too.

The issue is a hard one, whether to feed them or not.
We always ensure no animal follows us of course.

Feral / stray animals are a huge issue around the World it seems.
Here in Sydney the local shelters are all at capacity.
We have a stray cat 'family' living in our garden......
Planning to get them desexed.

What do you do?
I'm not really into killing strays...
But I suspect some sort of 'baiting' program might emerge out of necessity.

A lot of you won't like this, so I'm sorry, but cats are hunters. Extremely good ones. In my country (Australia) they have devastated wildlife, especially small mammals, reptiles and birds. The same has happened in New Zealand and some naturalists are claiming they do the same in Europe. Please don't feed them, unless you are prepared to do something to protect the songbirds they hunt.

It's correct that they hunt and are a problem for small wild animals.

Not feeding the cats doesn't solve the problem, though. They won't hunt less when they're starving, and the feral/strays population won't just die off completely just because it's ignored.

If you feed them, make a donation towards a spay/neuter program, too. Talk to people who have unfixed pet cats or barn cats roaming outside.

Because the only two things that will solve the problem of having street cats that then eat and kill the birds ect. is either spay/neuter or killing them. The second is not needed if humans act responsibly and spay/neuter their pets/barn cats/community cats as well as strays/ferals.

We had a small feral population in our area when I was a kid. After they were all neutered, after a few years, there were NO ferals anymore and for 20 years at least I haven't seen a feral cat here. Since it has been the law to spay/neuter outdoor cats (even barn cats!) where I live, there are much less strays in general. It works.

I do rescue birds, too, and know how damaging the high number of domesticated cats is to the wild birds. Which is why my cat is indoors and on a leash when outside.

What do you do?
I'm not really into killing strays...
But I suspect some sort of 'baiting' program might emerge out of necessity.

Trap, neuter, return. Maybe they can also get a rabies shot when they get caught for the neuter. A shelter or animal welfare group might help you with the humane traps and costs.

If they can't breed anymore, the group will get smaller quickly. Street cats usually don't live a long life. So if they don't reproduce, the problem solves itself after a while.

This is off topic, I know. Sorry. I'll stop now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is off topic, I know. Sorry. I'll stop now.
Not at all. The issue needs to be aired, and discussed. It's interesting that not so long ago, dogs, and the fear thereof, was a big topic on this forum. Now, dogs are rarely mentioned. I suspect that this is because, for reasons unconnected with the camino, Spain has taken measures to deal with what was quite a big problem. If they can deal with dogs, they can deal with cats. Not easy of course, but doable.

I just found this thread. I see that there has already been a debate and it's a bit older, but since I happened to rescue a kitten from the Camino last year, I just can't resist to answer...

Yes, there are many stray cats in Spain, which includes the Camino.

There are pet cats, too, and those somewhere inbetween like barn cats or "village cats". But even more or less "owned" cats often do not get the kind of care an animal lover from another country/culture might expect. For example it seems normal to let unfixed cats roam freely, even if they have an owner and are pets. Where I live that would not only be considered reckless, but it's illegal here, also. In Spain it seems to be the norm and is probably one reason why there are so many street cats.

I've seen countless starving cats on my walks and always do feed them. It won't change their life but it does change that one day for them at least.

Contrary to what many people believe, a stray population won't go away by not feeding them. It only makes the colony more sick and leads to more problems. Cats breed even when starving. They're still domesticated animals, not wildlife, even if they don't have an owner. Their "freedom" is often romanticized, but in reality they live miserable and short lives without human help, they often die very young because of preventable diseases, parasites, lack of food, ect.

They're not part of the natural ecosystem, they're abandoned pets or the descendends of them. They depend on people.

It's human fault that such homeless or not well cared for domestic animals exist. So in my opinion, it's our responsibility to help them.

Some locals will not like it if you feed the cats, so maybe do it discretely. If you can afford it, maybe make a donation to a spanish spay/neuter program or a shelter, too, because spaying/neutering is the only thing that helps in the long run.

If you want to carry some treats:

Dry kibble is not really good cat food but still much better than the garbage street cats usually eat, it's cheap, lightweight, and has a long shelf life even in the heat. It's also available in most supermarkets.

So if you carry a few handful of that in a ziploc bag and give it to the starving cats when you meet them, you'll make them happy at least for a moment.

Greetings from my Camino kitten, who would have died without quick intervention, became a catigrino, and now lives a good life mainly indoors with a constantly full belly and all the medical care he needs.
So, @good_old_shoes, did your darling catigrino go home with you, or does he have a loving home with someone else? The photo of your little catigrino in Praza do Obradoiro when you both arrived is honestly, honestly THE BEST PHOTO I have ever seen on the Forum and it made my day. Seeing your post today has again made my day. What is his name?
Good on you for saving this beautiful kitten -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

So, @good-old-shoes … did your darling catigrino go home with you, or does he have a loving home with someone else? The photo of your little catigrino in Praza do Obradoiro is honestly, honestly THE BEST PHOTO I have ever seen on the Forum and it made my day. Seeing your post today has again made my day. What is his name?
Good on you for saving this beautiful kitten -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

He travelled home with me and is the spoiled king of the house now 🙂.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does anyone have any links to organisations n Spain that deal with stray cats?
De-sexing, whatever.
I'd be happy to donate.

Exactly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They won't hunt less when they're starving
I am not too sure of that. The cat I grew up with would persist in bringing small dead mammals into the house. She wasn't starving. She wasn't even hungry. Cats are predators, and like many predators will hunt and kill even when they are not hungry.

Does anyone have any links to organisations n Spain that deal with stray cats?
De-sexing, whatever.
I'd be happy to donate.

Apaca is a galician animal welfare organisation that focuses on the animals around the camino. They seem to deal with dogs mainly, but on their website I found information that they also do spay/neuter programs which include cats!

Thanks good_old_shoes for reviving this thread, I'd started a reply then forgot all about it. Anyway, down here in the south of Spain (Andalucía) feral cats are still a big problem though there are now more people & charities trying to help / alleviate the situation.

However there seems to be some difference in attitude between the north & south (of Spain); northerners seem to be far more aware that cats should be neutered, many southerners have an almost a third world attitude which means many females go through cycles of pregnancies and the kittens once weaned are a abandoned, killed or thrown out with the basura (it happens). If you want to help do a search for local animal rescue charities or visit Street Cats Rescue on FB, StreetCats have an active trap. neuter, release policy in our part of Cadiz but there are plenty of other similar charities throughout Spain that always need more help. Thanks for your attention, Skinnybiker.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a complicated issue to be sure, with lots of nuances. Far too complicated for me to solve as I walk by. But that said, not feeding a hungry animal/person is almost never the right thing to do. So I'll hopefully be able to fill a belly or two along the way, and give a hungry animal a break from being hungry for a few hours. I trust that won't cause any major problems further down the line.

I've gone as far as researching the viability of bringing a stray home with me. And it is an option, although it would obviously be something I would need to do at the end of my camino. But I don't want to own a cat right now, so I'm counting on not falling hopelessly in love with some bedraggled creature I meet... :)

But that said, not feeding a hungry animal/person is almost never the right thing to do.
For all the good advice not to feed or otherwise encourage cats, you seem determined to go ahead and interfere nonetheless.

There are two things I think you are ignoring here:
  • The mere presence of a cat is not and never will be an indication that it is a stray. Cats have a broad range when left free to roam during the day. I have personally seen my cat over a kilometre from home, and it will still be at home in time for its evening meal as if there was nothing untoward about its roaming habits.
    • As someone passing through some town or village, you will never know which cats you see have homes to go to at night, and which might be genuine strays.
    • More, if a cat is feral, it is unlikely to allow you near it, and attempting to handle it and pet it could be quite dangerous.
  • Appealing to you for a titbit isn't a sign that a cat actually needs feeding. As others have already said, all but the oldest of cats will still actively hunt, and seem quite capable of feeding themselves. It might even have a home to go to and a meal waiting for it when it does. You are just a far more economical option to actively hunting for a daytime snack, and clearly you are going to be a softer touch than most.
I am no ethicist, but it seems to me your attempt to give yourself an ethical justification for interfering wouldn't withstand any reasonably critical analysis. If you want to do something positive, contribute to one of the agencies dealing with strays. That seems to be a far better solution to me.

For all the good advice not to feed or otherwise encourage cats, you seem determined to go ahead and interfere nonetheless.
Despite your classification as such, I'm not convinced that your advice is necessarily "good" advice. I take it as one man's opinion. And if you've read through the thread you'll have noted that there were opposing viewpoints, which I might classify as "good". It's subjective.

If you want to do something positive, contribute to one of the agencies dealing with strays. That seems to be a far better solution to me.

Thanks for your suggestion to contribute to an agency dealing with strays. I would suggest that feeding a hungry stray and contributing to an agency aren't mutually exclusive, and I'm happy to do both.

I am no ethicist, but it seems to me your attempt to give yourself an ethical justification for interfering wouldn't withstand any reasonably critical analysis.

I'm also no ethicist, but I'd be happy to debate the pros and cons of feeding stray cats with you or anyone else, as I think my points could comfortably withstand critical analysis. I'm not trying to give myself an ethical justification for feeding a hungry animal. I don't need one. It comes already bundled with my humanity.

While I appreciate opposing viewpoints, it's important to keep in mind that they are just viewpoints. We each make a personal decision on how we interact with the world around us, so insisting one's viewpoint is better or more correct than others isn't likely to yield positive results.

If I end up bringing one of those strays home with me I'll name it dougfitz, and post a photo on this thread, and we can all have a good laugh :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I end up bringing one of those strays home with me I'll name it dougfitz, and post a photo on this thread, and we can all have a good laugh :)
When you can assure me that you have rescued a genuine stray and not stolen someone's family pet, I would contemplate that you have adequately considered the issues here. The only way that I could see you doing that is going to a rescue shelter where they have done the necessary checking to ensure that they are not offering an animal that is owned by someone else.

Yes, this is an opinion. Given you have failed to address the key points I made, I suggest your offer to discuss the pros and cons is just hollow rhetoric, and you are merely giving yourself a warm comfortable feeling about what you are proposing to do. Feel free, but lets not pretend that there aren't some of us that think this interference, while it might be mostly harmless if you aren't going to steal someone's pet, isn't justifiable.

lets not pretend that there aren't some of us that think this interference, while it might be mostly harmless if you aren't going to steal someone's pet, isn't justifiable.
I'm not pretending anything, and - just speaking frankly - I honestly am not concerned whether or not you feel my "interference" is justifiable or not. I don't look to strangers for validation of what I know is right. Your superior attitude on this topic is entirely unjustified, and not shared by all, or perhaps even most.

Apologies if that sounds harsh. Just responding honestly to the innaccuracies you've posted.

It think it is time to close this thread. There are a range of ethical and practical issues here and we are unlikely to agree or convince our interlocutors. It is also in danger of getting personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back