Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Growth in pilgrim numbers on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
Interesting article in La Voz today (with a very nice picture of Asún at the top) commenting on the growth in Invierno pilgrims.

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

Interesting to note that there was a dip this year from last year.

The article also notes that June appears to be the year with the most pilgrims, so your chances of meeting others will be greater if you walk then. About 3/4 of the peregrinos are Spaniards, which surprises me given the publication of the Brierley guide.

I’m hoping to be back on the Invierno in May, looking forward to maybe seeing some other pilgrims for once! In my three Inviernos I have met a grand total of 2 but that was all before covid, and it looks like the landscape has changed a lot since then. I know @C clearly walked the Invierno in 2022, and she did meet others.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked in October 2023 and saw 7 or 8 pilgrims - saw rather than met as most kept very much to themselves without even a buen camino in passing; a couple of times we chatted to a pilgrim for a wee while before they moved on. Once the Invierno merged with the Sanabrés there were a few more but we spoke, briefly, with only three of them before they too moved on. We were happy to chat or not as we love solitude but also enjoy interacting with others.

We walked in October 2023 and saw 7 or 8 pilgrims - saw rather than met as most kept very much to themselves without even a buen camino in passing; a couple of times we chatted to a pilgrim for a wee while before they moved on. Once the Invierno merged with the Sanabrés there were a few more but we spoke, briefly, with only three of them before they too moved on. We were happy to chat or not as we love solitude but also enjoy interacting with others.

Similar experience in May 2023. I can see it rising in popularity though!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isn't it the other way around? The Invierno gives you a taste of the Sanabrés.
It doesn't really matter either way imo; say it however you want. Both routes converge in A Laxe, (according to my Brierley guide which has both the Sanabres and Invierno). They are two completely different routes, but join together for their final two-three days (53k) into Santiago. I am looking forward to entering Santiago from a different angle.
Brierley only shows the Sanabres from Ourense, but I am starting in Mombuey.
IMG_20240115_160614010~2.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like the Francés and the Primitivo merging in Melide. Fans of the Primitivo like to say that the Francés joins the Primitivo and not the other way round! :cool:
I am fans of both, but having walked both, I would choose to say that the Primitivo joins the Frances at Melide. 😊

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Invierno in 2018, my last camino before severe illness in my household and the covidpandemi.
I would like to walk again, preferably my years of planned Camino de Madrid continuing on the Invierno.
But I guess so many years have gone and I feel too old to walk alone.
On the Invierno I met 4 peregrinos until A Laxe, and a few after that and none of them knew the Camino de Invierno.

Interesting article in La Voz today (with a very nice picture of Asún at thte top) commenting on the growth in Invierno pilgrims.

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

The article also notes that June appears to be the year with the most pilgrims, so your chances of meeting others will be greater if you walk then. About 3/4 of the peregrinos are Spaniards, which surprises me given the publication of the Brierley guide.

I’m hoping to be back on the Invierno in May, looking forward to maybe seeing some other pilgrims for once! In my three Inviernos I have met a grand total of 2 but that was all before covid, and it looks like the landscape has changed a lot since then. I know @C clearly walked the Invierno in 2022, and she did meet others.
I walked the Invierno in Summer 2023 and met 8 other walkers. An Italian couple, a Spanish couple, an American woman who lives near Oviedo, two young German women and an Australian priest. The route was nice and accommodations sparse but adequate. I do not recommend walking in the Summer.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Would the numbers on the Invierno above, be significantly more as people who walk the Frances and then deviate to the Invierno get their Compostela as a Frances compostelana rather than Invierno?

Would the numbers on the Invierno above, be significantly more as people who walk the Frances and then deviate to the Invierno get their Compostela as a Frances compostelana rather than Invierno?

Interesting point.

Maybe someone who has worked in the Pilgrim's office could throw some light on that?

Is it the 'start point' that determines which Camino the Pilgrim is counted against?

We will probbaly never know, but I wonder what proportion of those walking the the Invierno started in Ponferrada v further back on another Camino route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very interesting point as my distance certificate was recorded as having starting in Lourdes and my husband, Jeff's, distance certificate was recorded as starting in Ponferrada. We walked Lourdes to SJPdP, Camino Baztan and finished with the Camino Invierno.
Marilyn.
(Later walked the Caminos Teresianos.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

This is the same problem as figuring out how someone would be counted who started in Irún and then dropped down to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. I have done that, but I have no memory of how the office recorded my camino, though I'm sure it was discussed.

The office only recognized the Invierno in 2019, so we don't have too many years to look at. The fact that the article says that 75% of the pilgrims on the Invierno were Spanish does suggest that maybe more of the long distance pilgrims (who tend not to be Spanish, I think) recorded themselves as having walked something other than the Invierno. Or maybe it just suggests that there are very few non-Spaniards on the Invierno.

So the question is, if I start at SJPdP, walk until the start of the Invierno, then walk the Invierno and the last 100km is on that path, do I still qualify to walk the Camino Frances because I have not walked to SdC via Sarria etc. or do I only qualify for walking the Camino Invierno?

Or both?

So the question is, if I start at SJPdP, walk until the start of the Invierno, then walk the Invierno and the last 100km is on that path, do I still qualify to walk the Camino Frances because I have not walked to SdC via Sarria etc. or do I only qualify for walking the Camino Invierno?

Or both?
You qualify for a Compostela by walking the last 100 km on a "recognized route" to Santiago de Compostela. There is only one version of Compostela, regardless of route(s) walked. You can cobble together as many routes as you want, so long as the last 100km is on a recognized route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting point.

Maybe someone who has worked in the Pilgrim's office could throw some light on that?

Is it the 'start point' that determines which Camino the Pilgrim is counted against?

We will probbaly never know, but I wonder what proportion of those walking the the Invierno started in Ponferrada v further back on another Camino route?
I started in Leon last year but received a Camino Invierno certificate. The Pilgrim office, I assume in order to be more efficient, has really streamlined its' process. There is far less interface with another person and more just a certificate mill. You used to be interviewed when checking in.

I started in Leon last year but received a Camino Invierno certificate. The Pilgrim office, I assume in order to be more efficient, has really streamlined its' process. There is far less interface with another person and more just a certificate mill. You used to be interviewed when checking in.

But the certificates are not route specific. Or are they now?
Are you referring to the distance certificate or Compostela?
Must look at mine from last year!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is not the Compostela which is the question, it is the statistics on which path was walked. Is it recorded as a Frances, Invierno or in Robos case the VDLP, all having walked the Invierno.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just looked at last years certificate and it was not Camino specific. That said, I just entered Camino Invierno into computer when applying for cert. I will have to look for some other Compostela's to see if they are more specific. The San Salvador Certificate is specific.

I will have to look for some other Compostela's to see if they are more specific. The San Salvador Certificate is specific.
The Camino del Salvador certificate is different because that route does not end in Santiago. It's called a Salvadorana.

You might be interested in this article about the certificates that can be collected on different routes.

€46,-
Not route specific Robo, and the lady in the pilgrims office only asked where I started, not what route I took.

Where are you starting and when? I'm walking the Sanabres from Puebla de Sanabria around Apr. 13th.
Hi Jill, I leave home on April 19th with my son, but we start the Sanabres from Mombuey several days later. I won't be in Pueblo de Sanabria until the 25th.

I walked the Invierno in Summer 2023 and met 8 other walkers. An Italian couple, a Spanish couple, an American woman who lives near Oviedo, two young German women and an Australian priest. The route was nice and accommodations sparse but adequate. I do not recommend walking in the Summer.
Walking this past summer was no problem so I don't understand your advice. It certainly was not hot.

I met a group of 4 Spaniards who I coincided with during most stages until A Laxe but that was it until the Sanabrés when I passed 80 (!) young adults with their leaders. It took me almost one hour to get to the head of the line so to speak!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking this past summer was no problem so I don't understand your advice. It certainly was not hot.

I met a group of 4 Spaniards who I coincided with during most stages until A Laxe but that was it until the Sanabrés when I passed 80 (!) young adults with their leaders. It took me almost one hour to get to the head of the line so to speak!
I guess hot is a relative term and is different for everyone. I walked the Camino Invierno end of June through mid July and it reached the mid 30's every day. I found that hot walking and sleeping at night. Back to Spring Camino's for me.

Interesting article in La Voz today (with a very nice picture of Asún at thte top) commenting on the growth in Invierno pilgrims.

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

Hi Laurie,
I think the “grand total of 2” might have been Charlie and myself on the first day and then in Monforte
apart from a few Spanish guys passing us on the first day, we never met anyone else until we joined the Sanabres and then it seemed as busy as the Frances. It was a bit of a shock.
For me, it’s the nicest entry into Santiago and a wonderful Camino route

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the Invierno in early July, 2023. First day out I saw two pilgrims plus two of my hospitalero colleagues (who I didn't see again until Santiago). Between Ponferrada and A Laxe, I encountered a large group of Spanish youth for a couple of days but apart from that only two pilgrims walking and three others (who may or may not have been with the big group) staying in an albergue. I'm not complaining at all, though. Just saying.

Thinking back to 2019 when I walked my first Invierno usually in October or November, I have never met any other Peregrinos except once there were 2 Spaniards from Andalucía. And a ghastly time when there was a whole bus load of “Peregrinos” walking only on a Sunday morning into Santiago. Very scary after 12+ days of solitude. Apologies to Gabriel Garcia Marquez & possibly rule #3.

I am walking the Sanabres in late April and I like that it shares its final few days in May with a taste of the Invierno rather than be part of the Frances conga line.
Camino Conga line is a perfect description of my experience last fall! Perhaps the Gong Show works as well to describe it.

Last edited:
I walked the Invierno in 2018, my last camino before severe illness in my household and the covidpandemi.
I would like to walk again, preferably my years of planned Camino de Madrid continuing on the Invierno.
But I guess so many years have gone and I feel too old to walk alone.
On the Invierno I met 4 peregrinos until A Laxe, and a few after that and none of them knew the Camino de Invierno.

How old are you to feel too old to walking a camino alone?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it much more crowded after Sarria? Well, yes, that has always been the case.
Not so. Sarria had no special significance when I walked my first Camino and there was no noticeable difference in numbers walking before or after. And when I walked the Frances again for the fourth time this time last year the numbers I saw daily actually dropped after Sarria - more places to stay so people were better dispersed. There are still times when you can avoid the crowds even on the last stages of the Frances.

Last edited:
Not so. Sarria had no special significance when I walked my first Camino and there was no noticeable difference in numbers walking before or after. And when I walked the Frances again for the fourth time this time last year the numbers I saw daily actually dropped after Sarria - more places to stay so people were better dispersed. There are still times when you can avoid the crowds even on the last stages of the Frances.
I saw plenty of groups of pilgrims after Sarria in May 2015 and 2017.
Screenshot_20240116-194146~2.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not so. Sarria had no special significance when I walked my first Camino and there was no noticeable difference in numbers walking before or after.
Same here on my first and second, though there were more pilgrims than usual in Sarria itself, simply because it's just such a useful stop & supply place for both hikers and bikers, so that more pilgrims than usual would congregate there -- much like the situation in Burgos or Logroño etc. nowadays.

I think Sarria only began to be a fashionable starting place in the early 2000s. Some people did start from there in the 1990s, but they were very few in number and made no real impact on pilgrim numbers overall -- which were more significantly affected in locations where other Camino routes join up with the Francès.

I think Sarria only began to be a fashionable starting place in the early 2000s.
The pilgrim office detailed published statistics go back to 2003. 10 years after the introduction of the 100km minimum rule. Numbers beginning in SJPDP and Roncesvalles were still significantly more than those starting from Sarria in 2003. A huge change took place over the past two decades - last year the numbers who started at Sarria outnumbered walkers from SJPDP and Roncesvalles by 4:1.

The pilgrim office detailed published statistics go back to 2003. 10 years after the introduction of the 100km minimum rule. Numbers beginning in SJPDP and Roncesvalles were still significantly more than those starting from Sarria in 2003. A huge change took place over the past two decades - last year the numbers who started at Sarria outnumbered walkers from SJPDP and Roncesvalles by 4:1.
Older Pilgrim Office statistics should be viewed with caution.

There are at least two obvious issues with their historic data. Back in the days when the Pilgrim Office offered automated access to relatively raw data with individual identities scrubbed out it was easier to spot these issues. In the current environment where only summary data is available these issues are obscured.

1) Prior to the recent computerised system each individual pilgrim wrote their starting point on a piece of paper and were free to write what ever they liked. People chose all sorts of stuff and then often spelled it in various ways. This, combined with the second issue meant that sometimes legitimate starting point numbers were incorrectly assigned to a "other" hold-all category.

2) There are at least four "eras" to the data where data was collected using either different strategies, different people, different priorities, different purposes or all four.

The oldest data represents one era or series of data. Then there is a change that is obvious to see, possibly as a result of increasing numbers of pilgrims and perhaps a realisation that the statistics which might have initially been a single persons good idea needed to be assigned to a particular person/responsibility.

At this change point the second era starts and new starting points were added and some of the old ones stopped being used. This system of starting points is complicated because there seems to have been a policy of only reporting on significant starting points and grouping all other starting points into the other category.

For the major starting points this was less of an issue but with many of the intermediary starting points if the numbers fell below a particular point then that point dropped out. So, for example some months you see Leon reported as a starting point with numbers and then in other months Leon disappears. This doesn't necessarily mean that no one started from Leon that month but rather that Leon's numbers for that month are included in the "other" category rather than on its own.

During this second era there is a break in the data and for some months no data is available at all. At around this time there are also numbers that look suspicious to me.

Immediately after this discontinuity to the data the third era starts and so perhaps the previous system was overwhelmed and a new system and/or new people were involved. The data in this third era seems more reliable but it still suffers from the "significant starting point issue" where some months data is reported from a starting point and on other months that starting point is not mentioned at all.

I would expect that a data professional would settle on a list of starting points and always report numbers for those points including zero for months when no one starts from that point. Instead we have this strategy of starting points appearing and disappearing without explanation.

The fourth era represents the current system where I suspect that the numbers are calculated automatically from the computerised registration system. Undoubtedly this era will have its own quirks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

We walked the Invierno in March/April 2023 and saw 5 other pilgrims. What a beautiful Camino it is.

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

I thoroughly enjoyed the Invierno this past November…..a bit too solitary most days (as in I didn’t see a soul from starting to finishing the stage anywhere) but beautiful scenery and challenging physically. It would be beautiful in springtime I presume. A definite favourite now for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting article in La Voz today (with a very nice picture of Asún at the top) commenting on the growth in Invierno pilgrims.

2019 - 1035
2020 - 406
2021 - 932
2022 - 2352
2023 - 2022

I will be leaving Madrid (on foot) on 27th April, and will be on the Invierno second half of May. I will look out for a Peregrina.

It will be my 5th Camino (not counting sub-Caminos). I have always walked alone, although I have had interesting chats with fellow travelers. The solitude suits me, so I'm looking forward to the Invierno.

When I have walked the Invierno I have been walking alone most of the time - until reaching Hostal Carpinteiras in Rodeiro where there has always been a full house. I would say that there has been about 10 peregrinos gathering every year I have stayed there. I never saw them on the stages before. I never understood where everyone comes from when they appear in Rodeiro..!

Recent years it has been the same in Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez: I have never been alone there. But still, the Invierno is a very solitary route. Last year I didn't meet another pilgrim along the way, except for in Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez. This was in July.

Interesteing to see that numbers on the Invierno have dropped a bit from previous years (I never collect the compostela so I'm not included anyway) and I heard the same about the Vía de la Plata?? which is also strange I think.

Last edited:
Interesteing to see that numbers on the Invierno have dropped a bit from previous years (I never collect the Compostelana so I'm not included anyway) and I heard the same about the Vía de la Plata?? which is also strange I think.
I haven't walked the Invierno but I have walked the VdlP twice. I don't find it that surprising that numbers on the VdlP have stayed fairly static or dropped slightly while other routes have flourished. The astonishing growth on routes like the Frances and the Portugues has gone hand in hand with vastly improved infrastructure: more albergues, far more comfortable albergues, many hostals and other private accommodation, cheap luggage transport, commercial tour groups or booking agencies. Which mean that now you can buy a complete Camino package off the shelf and walk 15km days carrying no more than a water bottle if you have the funds and the inclination. The growth in Camino numbers has been largely in short-distance walking - from places like Sarria, Tui and Valença. The VdlP remains a much more demanding route which relatively few would consider given the far softer alternatives available.

I haven't walked the Invierno but I have walked the VdlP twice. I don't find it that surprising that numbers on the VdlP have stayed fairly static or dropped slightly while other routes have flourished. The astonishing growth on routes like the Frances and the Portugues has gone hand in hand with vastly improved infrastructure: more albergues, far more comfortable albergues, many hostals and other private accommodation, cheap luggage transport, commercial tour groups or booking agencies. Which mean that now you can buy a complete Camino package off the shelf and walk 15km days carrying no more than a water bottle if you have the funds and the inclination. The growth in Camino numbers has been largely in short-distance walking - from places like Sarria, Tui and Valença. The VdlP remains a much more demanding route which relatively few would consider given the far softer alternatives available.

Sounds good to me...! I have been wanting to walk the VdlP again but have been hesitant because of the increase in numbers (since like 12 years ago) but knowing the numbers have stalled or dropped, I might consider it...

When I have walked the Invierno I have been walking alone most of the time - until reaching Hostal Carpinteiras in Rodeiro where there has always been a full house. I would say that there has been about 10 peregrinos gathering every year I have stayed there. I never saw them on the stages before. I never understood where everyone comes from when they appear in Rodeiro..!

Recent years it has been the same in Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez: I have never been alone there. But still, the Invierno is a very solitary route. Last year I didn't meet another pilgrim along the way, except for in Casa Rosa in Puente de Domingo Flórez. This was in July.

Interesteing to see that numbers on the Invierno have dropped a bit from previous years (I never collect the compostela so I'm not included anyway) and I heard the same about the Vía de la Plata?? which is also strange I think.
What times of the year did you walk the Invierno?

until reaching Hostal Carpinteiras in Rodeiro where there has always been a full house. I would say that there has been about 10 peregrinos gathering every year I have stayed there. I never saw them on the stages before. I never understood where everyone comes from when they appear in Rodeiro..!
Same for me in May 2022, when there were 9 people there. It is probably because there is little/no modest-priced accommodation for about 20 km before or after Rodeiro, so almost everyone needs to stop there unless they can do a 40-km stage.

Interesting point.

Last Fall, I worked in the PO for two weeks and never encountered anyone who walked the Invierno. I'll be walking it myself in late August after having started in SJPP. I'll make sure to mention the Invierno when I check in at the PO so that it counts for statistical purposes. I'm thinking that it'll also change the mileage for the distance certificate (although I don't get those anymore).

Perhaps the Pilgrim's office numbers reflect that Spaniards get their certificate and others don't. My impression is that non-Spaniards get their certificate on their first Camino and may skip it on repeat journeys. I know I have. I don't think the Invierno is undertaken as a first time Camino by non-Spaniards.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back