• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Name on all my stuff?

ncwep

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to put your name on all your things (pieces of clothing, towel, backpack, toiletry bag, etc....to avoid something accidentally getting picked up by someone else?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I sometimes put my name on things, but at my age, I realize that I have turned into my mother. Certainly phone and credencial should have your name, but generally I'm willing to take the not-earthshaking-risk that I might lose some of my laundry off the line. I am equally likely to gain replacements.

Some people like to put identifying marks like coloured shoelaces on their shoes, since often they need to be left in a communal area. It is actually easy to grab a similar pair accidentally.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I take so few things that it is not really an issue. The only time I've had something taken was in Santiago, in a campsite, when my black bra was stolen from a clothes line strung from our tent. Definitely not an accident, and I don't think a name tag would have helped!

Hospitaleros often ask that shoes and walking sticks be left in the communal area at the entrance to the albergue (to keep dirt out of the dorms). I usually wear sandals and they are distinctive, but I have heard of people losing shoes when someone took the wrong pair by mistake - and it can happen with poles too. I'd put distinctive shoe laces in my shoes, and my poles have bright coloured tape around them.

For anything really important (eg phone or camera) I label with an email address - it is much easier for people to contact me that way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did label our things, using stickers etc. designed for kids going to camp. I didn’t do that because I was afraid other people would take our stuff.

I did it because I wanted to make sure I recognized our stuff among all the similar gear on drying lines, and in shared spaces.

I also put Tile trackers on a few things like my wallet and passport pouch, again so that I could find them quickly. I could check to make sure they were with me before leaving for the day. Saved me more than once from having to go backwards to retrieve something.

I purposely buy items that are not black or gray...because everything on the line will be black and gray...lol Those in a rush where an accidental grab may happen, might hesitate to take my wild flowered panties and bright shirts. As others mention intentional stealing happens and I don't think we can avoid that. I do, however bring along a suitcase lock with a cable on it and feed the cable through the holes in my hikers to lock them together at night in albergues. Someone in a rush grabbing the wrong pair wont be able to separate them and an intentional thief likely wont bother unless they've been lugging a cable cutter.

Loud and proud, and a lock!

I might add that if you are a larger sized person, you may want to take extra care with your things as plus sizes are not readily available in small shops. Walked with a larger woman who "lost" a few shirts and a pr of shorts and was unable to replace them for nearly a week having to wear without washing the same outfit. She also ultimately had to buy men's clothing to complete the trek. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
pieces of clothing,

On my camino 2018 I shared a washing machine with another german guy. When it was ready we figured out that we had the same decathlon underpants with the same size and color. No chance to distinct them. So we sat there laughing beside the washing machine. It is a nice memory and I still do not know if I am wearing "my" underpants all the time or if it is maybe from a pilgrim brother.

The only things I have had stolen were my plastic, neon clothespins my 1st night in Pamplona last year. Not only that, people moved my things to hang up their own stuff. No, they weren't dry yet and taking up needed space. Was a tad annoyed, but figured they must need them.

I use red bootlaces and turn my boots around on the rack in the opposite direction of everyone else. Poles have orange duct tape on them with my name. So many poles look alike as do shoes and boots after 2 days of walking. All of those pretty blue shoes are brown now.

Thinking about how people move other people stuff on the clothesline should be up there with the morning plastic bag rustlers and the headlamp users in the dorm at night for the top annoyance on the Camino. I have had a few people bold enough to share my clothespins holding up a nearly dry t-shirt with their soaking wet socks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to put your name on all your things (pieces of clothing, towel, backpack, toiletry bag, etc....to avoid something accidentally getting picked up by someone else?
I didn’t but I put coloured ribbons on my poles, pack and footwear so they would hopefully not be mistaken for anyone else’s things.

I did label our things, using stickers etc. designed for kids going to camp. I didn’t do that because I was afraid other people would take our stuff.

I did it because I wanted to make sure I recognized our stuff among all the similar gear on drying lines, and in shared spaces.

I also put Tile trackers on a few things like my wallet and passport pouch, again so that I could find them quickly. I could check to make sure they were with me before leaving for the day. Saved me more than once from having to go backwards to retrieve something.
May I suggest getting a little larger money belt to put everything in and always keep it with you. That is what I do. I too worry (as do so many of us) about phone, valuables, passport. At home I often run around the house looking for me keys or wallet. I am so paranoid on the Camino I never not know where my money belt is.

I sometimes put my name on things, but at my age, I realize that I have turned into my mother. Certainly phone and credencial should have your name, but generally I'm willing to take the not-earthshaking-risk that I might lose some of my laundry off the line. I am equally likely to gain replacements.

Some people like to put identifying marks like coloured shoelaces on their shoes, since often they need to be left in a communal area. It is actually easy to grab a similar pair accidentally.
This reminds me of my experience last year on the CF. Just a few days before leaving home, I purchased two pairs of socks with a Camino theme in a shop in Zurich, Switzerland. The year before, I had lost socks in obvious mix-ups, so I wanted to make sure that these new socks were unique enough.
Shortly before reaching Navarette, I ran into two German pilgrims who both had bought identical socks in the north of Hamburg!

IMG_2164.JPG

We joked about how to keep them apart while drying them on the clothesline at the Albergue. Guess what: When we returned after dinner, all three pairs of socks were gone!
On the way to SdC, I developed a neurotic habit of intensively examining everyone's feet...in vain of course.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I usually join my footwear together with a colourful carabiner inserted between two eyelets if I am leaving them in a communal area. This, after someone tried my shoes on and left them in another entirely different darkened room. This way if someone takes them, they meant to. Not much I can do about that other than wearing them to bed :rolleyes:

Following up on KJFSophie's, maybe traveling with Fushsia colored Speedos is the way to go and get away from the black, gray and whitey tighties routine. Next suggestion would be to wear tie dyed muscle shirts or perhaps Hawaiian luau shirts.

May I suggest getting a little larger money belt to put everything in and always keep it with you. That is what I do. I too worry (as do so many of us) about phone, valuables, passport. At home I often run around the house looking for me keys or wallet. I am so paranoid on the Camino I never not know where my money belt is.
I can't get my shoes in my money belt, no matter how large. Sorry It6ny, I couldn't resist.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This reminds me of my experience last year on the CF. Just a few days before leaving home, I purchased two pairs of socks with a Camino theme in a shop in Zurich, Switzerland. The year before, I had lost socks in obvious mix-ups, so I wanted to make sure that these new socks were unique enough.
Shortly before reaching Navarette, I ran into two German pilgrims who both had bought identical socks in the north of Hamburg!

View attachment 142800

We joked about how to keep them apart while drying them on the clothesline at the Albergue. Guess what: When we returned after dinner, all three pairs of socks were gone!
On the way to SdC, I developed a neurotic habit of intensively examining everyone's feet...in vain of course.
We have these same socks - sold at REI in the U.S.!!!

At all the albergues where we have worked, the clothes pins belonged to the albergue. We had to replenish the supplies periodically because they break or maybe pilgrims pocket some of them. We use safety pins instead of clothes pins when walking which are smaller, lighter, and easier to carry.

I always try to take things on the Camino that I can bear to part with. All our clothes are pretty high quality and mostly merino wool, but usually a couple of Caminos old. It would be hard to replace my shoes although I always have a backup pair of Teva or Croc sandals. I try to never take clothes that are new or special or really expensive although my husband did buy us some matching gaudy blue polo shirts for our hospitalero gigs that we announce that we are members of American Pilgrims on the Camino.

As you can tell things 'disappear' whether or not your name is on them. However if you feel more comfortable putting an identifying mark on your clothing or equipment, go for it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, this is a great topic. As a newbie, I had not imagined these situations happening. :) I can understand they are part of the nature of the experience. I am taking into account all your comments as I am preparing for my Camino. Thank you!

Hi all, this is a great topic. As a newbie, I had not imagined these situations happening. :) I can understand they are part of the nature of the experience. I am taking into account all your comments as I am preparing for my Camino. Thank you!
Don't fret about it too much, but it does happen occasionally intentionally or non intentionally.

You could - but most don't bother to. All my gear is stored in my bag. Only time it is out of my bag (and not at my bed) is when doing laundry. So far I haven't seen people with the same clothes hanging on the laundry lines. More likely to occur if you have the same quick dry towel everyone else has. Mine is more unique.

Your shoes/boots - some people change out the laces or remove the soles when they drop them off in the boot storage area. I don't bother. Poles - you might want to add some some colorful duct tape to them so you can quickly grab yours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I sewed bright green tags on all my clothes (at the ankles of socks or the waist band on shirts) assuming I would be staying at albergues and that I might have to find my clothes amongst everyone else's in the dark on a clothesline. I gave up on albergues after my third or fourth one :D The little loops I sewed were very handy for my safety pins to hang onto my socks draped over horizontal trekking poles to dry lol or to pin them to my backpack.
As others have said, it will all be fine. Buen Camino!

These I don't label... (but my name is already on passport, credential, and credit cards)... but I would never leave them anywhere that others could potentially access them and take them and the likelihood of me forgetting them in minimal since I am keeping them in my possession at all times. Valuables should be kept on your body at all times. I even take mine into the shower/toilets.

That said - it doesn't hurt to add your cell phone contact information to these items in case they are accidentally dropped or left behind. Be sure to include country code in front of the number.... and yes - tile trackers are good too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually join my footwear together with a colourful carabiner inserted between two eyelets if I am leaving them in a communal area.
Like this idea simple enough to stop people inadvertently taking them ;but won't stop them being nicked!
Would also be a helpful identifier for me!
The posts above have highlighted some thing's i hadn't considered.
All I've got to do now is unpick the stitching on the elastic threaded up my sleeves; keeping my mittens from being lost 🤣
Woody

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Following up on KJFSophie's, maybe traveling with Fushsia colored Speedos is the way to go and get away from the black, gray and whitey tighties routine. Next suggestion would be to wear tie dyed muscle shirts or perhaps Hawaiian luau shirts.
Exactly! To avoid theft or mistaken identity ➡️ buy ugly, buy obnoxious! Again, as many have said, it ain’t Paris Fashion Week en el Camino.

These I don't label... (but my name is already on passport, credential, and credit cards)... but I would never leave them anywhere that others could potentially access them and take them and the likelihood of me forgetting them in minimal since I am keeping them in my possession at all times. Valuables should be kept on your body at all times. I even take mine into the shower/toilets.

That said - it doesn't hurt to add your cell phone contact information to these items in case they are accidentally dropped or left behind. Be sure to include country code in front of the number.... and yes - tile trackers are good too.
We were staying in private rooms most of the time. While we swept the rooms carefully before we left, it was still easy for things to fall where they couldn’t be seen.

When we stayed in dorms, these things stayed in a waist pack that never left our bodies.

Thinking about how people move other people stuff on the clothesline should be up there with the morning plastic bag rustlers and the headlamp users in the dorm at night for the top annoyance on the Camino. I have had a few people bold enough to share my clothespins holding up a nearly dry t-shirt with their soaking wet socks.
On my first camino, only a few days out, someone placed their red striped wool sopping wet hiking sock on the same clothespin as my white hiking shirt...it bled all over my shirt and from there on I looked like I had been victim to a murder attempt. It obviously never washed out and I was not in the position to buy another. I teach a class on Walking Modern Pilgrimage at a university near me and I make sure to tell everyone to wash all of their new clothing numerous times before packing it ( accompanied by my bloodied shirt story )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The ‘lock screen’ of my phone when I’m out of the country (I don’t know why not ‘all the time’ - I just have Henry the (actual) dog) has a clear photo of me wearing the jacket I always wear when walking and holding a large card with my email address on it.

I also know how to access my email from anything with an internet connection.

I also know how to access my email from anything with an internet connection.
YES, this is important! I don't carry copies of my passport, ID, credit cards, etc anymore. But I do have an online "vault" where I can keep m my scanned copies. I figure if my valuables DO get lost/stolen - having printed copies isn't going to do much good (since I have such limited space for storing them). Afterall - I don't want to leave valuable information in my unattended backpack, but having copies in my fanny pack/bum bag doesn't make sense since that is where I already store the originals (on my body at all times)lol. But you do always need to be able to quickly access copies and it just requires me getting to the internet somewhere to access the copies. I can access my email, my trip organizing apps, booking websites, copies of all downloaded tickets, copies of my valuable passport/ID/credit/debit cards from any device that can connect to the internet.

Why not? It takes little time, and might avoid confusion sorting like-items if someone has same gear as you; can help prove its yours; can avoid someone taking your gear, or at least they might try to get it back to you if you misplace it or if they take it accidentally; indelible /etched markings may be the thing that deters a thief from taking your phone vice an unmarked phone. I think it was Oct 2018 while we were at dinner at Roncessvalles, 20+ mobile phones were stolen from the albergue as they sat charging. They only took Androids and Samsungs, but no Iphones. Maybe they did not take any marked phones either.

I label my pack with name, address and email. It is carry-on size, but some busses and small planes still put it into the baggage compartment. Then there was the pilgrim whose pack turned up missing (I think on CF in May 2019) story was that after it was taken, he returned to the albergue some hours later to find it hanging on a fence out back. Luckily nothing was missing. If labeled and he had not returned, at least someone could have contacted him.

I similarly label the small dry bag in my pack which holds trekking poles, clothes and sleep sack. In case (and they never have) security catches the poles when I fly, I can easily check it.

I label my money belt, phone and other valuables with name and email. Last year a young lady left her wallet on the bar in Itero de la Vega. Numerous pilgrims saw it and asked if it was mine as I ate breakfast at a nearby table. Noone looked inside; some etiquette BS, I guess. Ultimately the owner asked if it was mine. Finally i took it and opened it, much to the consternation of the owner. I was able to identify its owner, Mikala, and then track her down some 5 hours later in Fromista. If the wallet had name and number/email on the outside, reuniting it with her would have been much easier.

Each of my trekking poles has name and email label. I have only forgotten them a few times and have been less than 5 minutes away when I remembered, but I have met several pilgrims who forgot their poles many Km back and just gave up on them to keep going without. My poles are the lightest for 3 pc Z's, no longer manufactured, and similar poles are now priced in the $175 range. I would hate to lose them. Yeah, I never leave them in the albergue bucket with everyone else's poles! Yeah, there is bright red duct tape wrapped around the Right one/ packing tape on the Left.

Keep your stuff labeled and keep it close. Keep the honest thieves honest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are more likely to have something taken by mistake because we all shop at similar stores and if not labelling your stuff then it is a good idea to make things like your boots and hiking poles distinct using bright laces, ribbon or tape.

Surprising how many boots and poles look the same when piled up just inside the albergue front door.

You are more likely to have something taken by mistake because we all shop at similar stores and if not labelling your stuff then it is a good idea to make things like your boots and hiking poles distinct using bright laces, ribbon or tape.

Surprising how many boots and poles look the same when piled up just inside the albergue front door.
Yes agreed amd if you have any visual impairment that risk increases! I have thankfully not taken anyone else’s stuff but due to my colourblindness, when in on office have picked up the wrong suit jacket (we all wore dark blue or black), and also managed to twice put my wallet in the inside pocket of someone else’s jacket!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? Doing so can be advantageous, can easily be done in a manner that will not be disadvantageous, is low-effort, and is low-cost.

Example: Using a black Sharpie to mark one's name or initials on an area of a garment or etc. that is not visible when in use but IS visible when hanging on a laundry line or etc. is easy and super-low-cost. Example: I mark my initials on the inner rear surface of the double-thickness bottom hem of my undershirts. The double-thickness of fabric helps to prevent bleed-through. A secondary advantage when getting dressed is that when I see my initials facing me on the inside of the rear portion of hem of the upside-down undershirt that I am about to put on, I know that I have got the undershirt facing the correct way.

Similarly, markings can be Sharpie-d onto the inner side of the double-thickness very-bottom area of the button-plackets of shirts, and the inner waist-band of trousers. Such areas are invisible when the garments are being worn, but become visible on laundry lines.

Waist-bags, cross-body bags, and the like can be marked with an indelible white paint pen on the person-facing outer surface of the bag - just be sure to allow the paint-pen markings to dry very thoroughly (not less than 24 hours IMO) before use. The person-facing outer surfaces will not be visible when in use.

I also paint-pen mark my name inside my costly leather hiking boots.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or you could leave prickly burrs in your boots. That will fix anyone who’s messing with them.
Yes - that could work too! But who is going to take them out before I need to put them back on haha... I just don't worry about it. If my shoes are taken - I still have sandals I can hike in until I get new shoes. Not ideal - but just another reason why my evening shoe is something I can hike in.

Yes - that could work too! But who is going to take them out before I need to put them back on haha... I just don't worry about it. If my shoes are taken - I still have sandals I can hike in until I get new shoes. Not ideal - but just another reason why my evening shoe is something I can hike in.
Nobody is gonna take your shoes. I've lost underwear and towels, prolly my fault. but never shoes...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nobody is gonna take your shoes. I've lost underwear and towels, prolly my fault. but never shoes...
I've known people who had their shoes taken by accident by someone who had the same style of shoes but a different size - it's not so bad when it's a size larger, but a size smaller - ouch!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never ever seen it, heard about it, or experienced it myself.
Hasn't happened to me, and my shoes usually look different since so many people still use hiking boots/shoes and I use trail runners. But I have seen facebook posts from people upset that their shoes disappeared and have heard some rumblings through the Camino grapevine about someone's shoes going missing. Again - I don't stress about it - but since I am brining a second pair of shoes for the evening anyway - may as well make it something I "can" hike in if I need to. But I wouldn't bring a pair just because I am afraid of losing my shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So the one time i've ever heard about/witnessed/experienced something disappearing through theft was on the Prim. It was raining that day. We all had our rain jackets on and came into the albergue and put them on the rack to dry. Well, about 2 hours later this nice Polish woman was crying crazily. Her jacket was gone. Somehow, the hospitalera had a sneaking suspicion about the "who done it", and he was kicked out... and crazy the jacket was found on a tree outside the establishment. So things like that do happen on occasion, but seriously. ONE TIME out like a a bunch.

Someone once took my pants off the clothesline in an albergue. Since I only had 2 pair - the one drying and the one I was wearing - it was problematic. I tracked them down in the albergue and got them back. They were the same olive drab, tech fabric, zip off pants so many people wear - it was an easy mistake, and he was already distressed about something else.

Since then, I sew a little patch of colorful fabric on a front pocket of those ubiquitous pants so one instantly knows if they are not yours. I also wrap "Hello Kitty" duct tape around my hiking poles and my water bottle - both items that look very similar to most others.

I tie my boots together tightly when my boots are on the rack drying overnight. I HAVE heard of people literally walking off with the wrong boots. That would be a disaster - almost as much as walking the Camino without pants.

€83,-
Is it necessary? Well...it depends. Some categories of "stuff" all look the same. (If you have been on a sports team or had a child that was on one, or went to Scout camp, you understand.) I find that I can be sure I have grabbed my own stuff if my name is on it, but I don't go super into labeling everything. This is in part because over the caminos I have noticed that there isn't quite as much "all looks alike" stuff as expected. I have been known to make my wallpaper on the phone be my picture, but am not sure that will happen again.

The only things I have had stolen were my plastic, neon clothespins my 1st night in Pamplona last year. Not only that, people moved my things to hang up their own stuff. No, they weren't dry yet and taking up needed space. Was a tad annoyed, but figured they must need them.

I use red bootlaces and turn my boots around on the rack in the opposite direction of everyone else. Poles have orange duct tape on them with my name. So many poles look alike as do shoes and boots after 2 days of walking. All of those pretty blue shoes are brown now.
Hello All,
Do albergues not permit wet clothes hanging inside? Instead of the communal clothesline, is it possible to hang items on my pack or fashion a small clothesline on my bunk? Wouldn't things dry faster inside anyway?
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It seems well established that stuff happens. Regrettably, not all pilgrims are equipped the same to recover. Some people can easily replace missing items while others save for a long time to make there trip. They come with equipment that they have received as gifts, borrowed, and purchased 2nd hand. This may be a once in a lifetime trip on a limited budget. Not everyone will have two pair of nice shoes. Also, replacing a pair of missing shoes may truly not be an option for some. Same with pants, poles, etc.

I realize and appreciate that everyone is trying to provide honest feedback. It is nice to have a wide perspective and so many examples of both when identifiers were important as well as various suggestions on how to help identify personal items. It is also comforting to hear that other pilgrims would like to return items to the owners... if they are properly marked. It is easy to misplace an item.

Rather than worry about an item of clothing going missing from a clothesline, consider the option of washing the item in the morning before departure, and hanging it from one’s pack to dry in the sun (remember, safety pins). Check the weather forecast, of course.

Be mindful of the forecast anyway. I don’t think I ever left anything to dry on a clothesline overnight unless I had my own space. In a communal space I recall hanging around in the sun while my clothes dried nearby, as did many others. In some good Spanish sun, clothes don’t take long to dry. If there’s no sun for a few days, and no clothes dryer available, well, one just has to manage.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.