• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ordering beer in Spain

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
On last year's CF I enjoyed many cold beers. It was the thing I most anticipated at the end of a long hot day. And I thought I was ordering correctly, requesting "una cerveza". Sometimes I'd request "grande". I always got what I ordered, and the bartender seemed to understand just fine.

I was watching a YouTube video on the spanish language the other day, and learned that I have been ordering all wrong. According to what this person was saying, in Spain they order beer by requesting the glass size. A regular glass of beer is a "caña". And I should have been requesting una caña.
The person didn't mention what the larger size glass/mug is called unfortunately.

Can a Spanish speaker confirm this is correct? I should be requesting una caña, not una cerveza? I'll be heading back in two weeks and want to make sure I've got it right this time!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m just back after 18 nights in 6 Spanish. My ordering of a beer was simply a “copa cerveza”. I would say this was regular size, a cana was a small beer.
Thanks, that's an important distinction. I don't want a tiny beer...

So the standard glass of beer you get at most bars - is that a copa or a caña? And what about the big glass mugs? What are they called?

For a larger glass of draught beer I would ask for a jarra. A caña is a small glass of beer on tap - not bottled. Cerveza is a generic term for beer - can be either bottled or on tap and served in a range of sizes.
Thanks, it's draft beer I'm referring to, not bottled.

So now I've learned caña, copa, and jarra. I'm wondering what the regular glass I had most day was called. I thought it was caña but I might be wrong about that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
According to Chat GPT:

In Spain, when ordering beer, you'll often come across three common terms: "copa," "caña," and "jarra." Each term refers to a different serving size of beer, and they vary in quantity and sometimes even in the type of glass used. Here's a breakdown of each:

1. Copa: Copa typically refers to a small glass of beer. The size can vary depending on the establishment, but it's generally smaller than a caña. The term "copa" is also commonly used for wine glasses, so it might lead to some confusion. However, when ordering beer, it usually signifies a small serving.
  2. Caña: Caña is a standard serving size for beer in Spain. It's typically a small draft beer served in a glass. The size can vary depending on the region and the bar, but it's generally around 200-250 milliliters (6.7-8.5 ounces). Cañas are popular for casual drinking and are often served at bars and restaurants.
  3. Jarra: Jarra refers to a larger serving of beer, usually served in a mug or a larger glass. The size of a jarra can vary significantly, but it's typically larger than a caña and can range from around 400 milliliters (13.5 ounces) to a liter or more. Jarra is ideal for sharing among friends or for those who prefer a larger quantity of beer.
When ordering beer in Spain, it's essential to specify which size you want to ensure you get the right amount. If you're looking for a small serving, you can ask for a "copa" or a "caña." If you want a larger quantity, you can request a "jarra." Additionally, the price may vary depending on the size you order, with jarra usually being more expensive than caña or copa due to the larger volume.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

So the standard glass of beer you get at most bars - is that a copa or a caña? And what about the big glass mugs? What are they called?
Both are standard. The cana is about 200ml and the copa is about 300-330 ml size. I think if you just asked for a cerveza you might get the smaller size.

Note the different info in post above. I was told the information I have given by a barman in a small bar.

According to Chat GPT:

In Spain, when ordering beer, you'll often come across three common terms: "copa," "caña," and "jarra." Each term refers to a different serving size of beer, and they vary in quantity and sometimes even in the type of glass used. Here's a breakdown of each:

1. Copa: Copa typically refers to a small glass of beer. The size can vary depending on the establishment, but it's generally smaller than a caña. The term "copa" is also commonly used for wine glasses, so it might lead to some confusion. However, when ordering beer, it usually signifies a small serving.
  2. Caña: Caña is a standard serving size for beer in Spain. It's typically a small draft beer served in a glass. The size can vary depending on the region and the bar, but it's generally around 200-250 milliliters (6.7-8.5 ounces). Cañas are popular for casual drinking and are often served at bars and restaurants.
  3. Jarra: Jarra refers to a larger serving of beer, usually served in a mug or a larger glass. The size of a jarra can vary significantly, but it's typically larger than a caña and can range from around 400 milliliters (13.5 ounces) to a liter or more. Jarra is ideal for sharing among friends or for those who prefer a larger quantity of beer.
When ordering beer in Spain, it's essential to specify which size you want to ensure you get the right amount. If you're looking for a small serving, you can ask for a "copa" or a "caña." If you want a larger quantity, you can request a "jarra." Additionally, the price may vary depending on the size you order, with jarra usually being more expensive than caña or copa due to the larger volume.
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed. Cheers!

Want to have even more fun? Depending on where you are in the beloved country a request for a Cerveza will get you a bottle of beer. A Caña will get you a glass of draught and a “cerveza de griffo” will get you a Caña, jarra or even a genuine “English” pint. Smiling and pointing works too 😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When i was taking classes in Spain around 20 years ago, the fellows at the language school told me to order a Caña for the main reason that i will be cheaper than a Cerveza. No idea if it was true, but the idea kind of stuck and i kept ordering Cañas ever since. If service seems slow and I'm desperate i might go for a Caña doble or even a Jarra, but that always makes me feel a little more like the german tourist (that I am).

I usually just order "una cerveza GRANDE por favor" and it works.

In France I had to learn that a "demi" is not half a litre but half of a half litre. Ouch.

Sometimes when the waiters noticed that I am German, they immediately brought a large beer (which usually is still smaller than the German 1/2l, but better than the tiny french glasses).

Whatever. If I order a beer and get a beer, whatever size or form, I'm a happy hiker!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When i was taking classes in Spain around 20 years ago, the fellows at the language school told me to order a Caña for the main reason that i will be cheaper than a Cerveza. No idea if it was true, but the idea kind of stuck and i kept ordering Cañas ever since. If service seems slow and I'm desperate i might go for a Caña doble or even a Jarra, but that always makes me feel a little more like the german tourist (that I am).
I agree about the Cana. My friends in Spain told me if you order the Cana it’s usually smaller but cheaper per ounce then the other beer sizes (like a happy hour discount) and so I usually order a Cana and then don’t fill guilty if I want an additional one. I’ve also taken to drinking the 0.0 non alcoholic beers in the bottle there as they don’t have them on tap too often. The Spanish have been into the non alcoholic beers for decades and so they taste good, and if I have 15k yet to walk in the sunshine there’s no repercussions…
492E771A-4D16-472C-8734-5363DFC259D4.jpeg
Two 0.0 beers and free tapas!

I agree about the Cana. My friends in Spain told me if you order the Cana it’s usually smaller but cheaper per ounce then the other beer sizes (like a happy hour discount) and so I usually order a Cana and then don’t fill guilty if I want an additional one. I’ve also taken to drinking the 0.0 non alcoholic beers in the bottle there as they don’t have them on tap too often. The Spanish have been into the non alcoholic beers for decades and so they taste good, and if I have 15k yet to walk in the sunshine there’s no repercussions…
View attachment 167225
Two 0.0 beers and free tapas!
Yum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I enjoy the different styles of ordering beer across Spain. For draft beer, I always prefer to order a caña. The size varies in different areas and if I want more, then I order another. Each one often comes with a small tapa.

For bottles, Spaniards typically order depending on which one of the two common sizes: "tercio" refers to standard bottle (330ml) and botellín or quinto refers to the small 200ml size.

Ok, we have sizes figured out, I like dark beer, do I order an oscuro? Or is dark beer not availible in Spain?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The usual options are tostada or rubia. Tostada is the darker of the two but not very dark.
My favourite bottled beer is Voll-damm.

Have not seen that many dark beers.
I don't expect to see any in small towns, but hope to find some in the larger cities.
This dark amber is superb!

I'll definitely watch for it!

When it's hot out, just about any beer will do, but I really enjoy a good dark beer from time to time. Although I'm not a wine drinker, I suppose that may change after spending time in wine country.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pinta=pint
Tercero=11 oz
Tubo=a sort of tall caña
Jarra, as noted above=larger beer
There are more of course, regionally

Beer along the Camino is absolutely great! A cold beer after a late lunch, knowing I only had another hour or two to walk on a given day, was so refreshing! A beer before a warm shower at the hostel upon arriving made for a good nap before the Pilgrim Dinner. Local Spanish beer, like local wonderful wines, on the Camino are very inexpesnive, often cheaper than a Coke. I found draft beers on the Camino interesting in two ways: The beer tap had two positions: One to despense the beer, then once the glass is about 2/3 full, the barkeep would move the tap handle the opposite way. This resulted with the beer haing the perfect foam top. I had never seen that in America. Also, there is a 'lemon beer'. Either the draft beer would be brewed with lemons, or the bartender would open a bottle of lemon soft drink, and mix with the beer. Wow was this refreshing at that late lunch after walking four to six hours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Usually Cana, grande, then they ask English and out comes an even bigger glass. If you need nourishment add a Magnum. If it hot have a Radler, beer plus Lemon, on draft.

Attachments

• IMG_20190521_131600469_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20190521_131600469_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190601_134958150_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190601_134958150_HDR.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20190531_152757586.jpg
    IMG_20190531_152757586.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 69
For a larger glass of draught beer I would ask for a jarra. A caña is a small glass of beer on tap - not bottled. Cerveza is a generic term for beer - can be either bottled or on tap and served in a range of sizes.
I live in Spain and this is totally correct, also you can get technical and go by bottle size a quinto, tercero, but normally we order a Caña as who wants a hot beer, unless you drink it quickly!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, it's draft beer I'm referring to, not bottled.

So now I've learned caña, copa, and jarra. I'm wondering what the regular glass I had most day was called. I thought it was caña but I might be wrong about that.
A cana is a normal sized draught beer. Generally speaking this is what most people would order (30cL). I have ordered a cana grande to get a large beer.
Along the Frances, the bar keepers have (I'm certain) hard it all and know what you mean, regardless of the phrasing that you use.
I initially was ordering canitas, as instructed by some Mexican pilgrims, before a bartennder in Roncesvalles politely corrected me. I, in turn corrected my Mexican companions. We had no further issues getting a well deserved cold beer at the end (or the middle) of a day.

Gord

The Caña is, purportedly, the ideal size for enjoying a beer at its ideal temperature to completion before it can get warm, and hence its popularity in an environment where sitting outside in the sun is so prevalent.

My favorite was to order a "clara" aka "cerveza con limón", which usually came in the caña sized glass, and was ideal for a mid-day refresher as they only contain 2-2.5% alcohol, or about half or less that of a regular beer.

The word "pinta" also works to produce a pint - sized glass or half a liter glass.

I usually ask for una cerveza grande or una pinta de cerveza. That gets me a large mug of beer. Anything else usually gets me a bottle and a glass.

Sin alcohol = alcohol free. Usually only comes in bottles. But it is also very good - especially Estrella Galicia.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying. Now I just need to understand the difference between copa and caña.
I've never heard of "copa" in relation to beer. "Copa" would be used if you're ordering wine: una copa de vino blanco / tinto (a glass of white/red wine).
For beer, people generally order "caña" (a regular glass). And if you want a big mug, then "jarra" as others have mentioned already.

On last year's CF I enjoyed many cold beers. It was the thing I most anticipated at the end of a long hot day. And I thought I was ordering correctly, requesting "una cerveza". Sometimes I'd request "grande". I always got what I ordered, and the bartender seemed to understand just fine.

I was watching a YouTube video on the spanish language the other day, and learned that I have been ordering all wrong. According to what this person was saying, in Spain they order beer by requesting the glass size. A regular glass of beer is a "caña". And I should have been requesting una caña.
The person didn't mention what the larger size glass/mug is called unfortunately.

Can a Spanish speaker confirm this is correct? I should be requesting una caña, not una cerveza? I'll be heading back in two weeks and want to make sure I've got it right this time!
I have another beer related question. On a podcast a woman was talking about a wonderful lemon beer - any ideas?

if you just order a "cerveza" , you never know what you'll get, a bottle or a draught beer. So i always order a "Cana" first.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My favorite was to order a "clara" aka "cerveza con limón", which usually came in the caña sized glass, and was ideal for a mid-day refresher as they only contain 2-2.5% alcohol, or about half or less that of a regular beer.

have another beer related question. On a podcast a woman was talking about a wonderful lemon beer - any ideas?

a drink mixed from beer and lemonade is generally called "Klara (or Clara?)"

Also called Radler
I’m not a beer drinker but if it’s been a really hot walk - a refreshing drink is that described in all of the above quotes.

I ask for cerveza con limón…… in some regions it’s called ‘clara’.

Other places they will serve a bottle of ‘radler’ which is the above in a bottle.
They give me a glass with it. 😀

I prefer the actual poured and mixed but I take what is available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I just point while looking tired and thirsty. Works every time. And always express gratitude. Sometimes gets me a tapa and conversation with the bartender.

For those who like more choice in their beer selection Sinduena on rua Nova (down the street from Ivar) is great. Their menu board has two sizes, cana and pinta.

The most

important thing is you got what you wanted

I don't expect to see any in small towns, but hope to find some in the larger cities.

I'll definitely watch for it!

When it's hot out, just about any beer will do, but I really enjoy a good dark beer from time to time. Although I'm not a wine drinker, I suppose that may change after spending time in wine country.
Ask for “una mil nueve” which doesn’t actually mean 1009 beers, although some days you might think you could slurp them all down!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Its funny, the liguistic decomposition of Jarra...generic here on the border for a Jar type.
Jarritas will get you fruit juices from clay jars that are refreshing..refrescos..same

I usually just order "una cerveza GRANDE por favor" and it works.

In France I had to learn that a "demi" is not half a litre but half of a half litre. Ouch.

Sometimes when the waiters noticed that I am German, they immediately brought a large beer (which usually is still smaller than the German 1/2l, but better than the tiny french glasses).

Whatever. If I order a beer and get a beer, whatever size or form, I'm a happy hiker!
On my first Camino last year I wasn't to sure and and I just said cerveza. The bar tender held up a large glass and I nodded yes and he replied Grande. So the rest of the trip I just ordered cerveza grande and that's what I got.

Hola - you didn’t mention if your preference is draft or bottled beer - una cerveza will, I think, cover both generically but if it’s really a draft foaming ale you want it’s una caña (small) or una jarra (pro. Harra) for a large one.

Hopefully this’ll help you get exactly what you want! The first mouthful of the first one is heavenly!

The size of una caña is actually variable, regionally.

In most cases, it's a 25cl or more rarely 33cl glass of beer, but it can be as small as 15cl in some rural places off the beaten path.

The cañón is usually about 40cl, but in some regions ask for un cañón, and you'll get what most Spaniards call a caña.

The 50cl measure is typically called una jarra, though again -- in some places, a jarra will basically be a cañón instead.

Then there are oddities of in some places the jarra being 65cl ...

---

So really -- asking for una cerveza grande or una cerveza pequeña is NOT wrong ; and is actually less confusing. Spaniards themselves do the same in village bars they're not familiar with.

That's correct. And on those days when you want a BIG beer, order a "tubo."

When you order a Caña, it will usually be nice and cold and you can always get another one if you want. A large beer for me gets warm before I finish it.
I don't think I would have concerns about it getting cold after a day of walking. In Sarria when the barman asked me whether I wanted a large or grande (not sure which) I indicated with my hands about 1 foot/30 cms apart. He looked strangely at me and went to the back of the bar got me a cold/frosted glass and proceeded to pour me a litre - it would have been rude at that stage to ask for something smaller - no it didn't get cold!

The caña refers to beer on tap if that is your preference , una cerveza is more general I ca include cans or bottles of beer . The choice on tap is usually very limited specially in Galicia ( Estrella de Galicia )
The local beer . Enjoy a cold one .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
According to Chat GPT:

You have forgotten 'pinta' wich is the 'normal' large beer ' 0,5 littres usually. Most common size ordered in Spanish golf clubs 😁.

To my understanding 'jarra' refers to a serving vessel - usually clay - and us used both with wine and beer.

You have forgotten 'pinta' wich is the 'normal' large beer ' 0,5 littres usually. Most common size ordered in Spanish golf clubs 😁.

To my understanding 'jarra' refers to a serving vessel - usually clay - and us used both with wine and beer.
All I did was write the following to Chat GPT and then paste the answer in this thread:

Please explain the difference between copa, caña and jarra when ordering beer in Spain.

I think there are quite a lot of regional variations.

When I was in Almeria, a lot of places offered a jarra with a few tapas to share and it was more like a jug, served with several glasses to share.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also have difficulties on how to order beer in Spain.
To avoid that, I always order red wine.
Personally I would not get too worried about being too ‘word perfect’ It’s nice of course but shouldn’t prevent you being worried enough to get what you want.

For US folk please note that a pint is not the same measure globally. I know the USA pint is about 20 % smaller than the UK pint though I know the terminology is far less used in bars compared to UK.

Not sure how it equates to Spain.

Caña is small draft beer about 200ml, copa de cerveza is a wine glass or glass with a stem and is usually 330ml, jarra is a large glass.

Una botella is a bottle. Una botellín/quinto for 200ml, botella grande/tercio for 330ml. I've only really heard quinto and tercio in the south of spain and they mean fifth and third, respectively.

If you ask for a cerveza they'll usually assume you want draft beer but will usually ask "caña?" or "jarra/grande"

I also notice many places equipped with taps but only sell bottles. In which case they'll offer you a 200ml botellín.

For US folk please note that a pint is not the same measure globally. I know the USA pint is about 20 % smaller than the UK pint though I know the terminology is far less used in bars compared to UK.

Not sure how it equates to Spain.

You're not likely to see 'pints' advertised anywhere in Spain, apart from certain tourist resorts along with egg and chips.

You're not likely to see 'pints' advertised anywhere in Spain, apart from certain tourist resorts along with egg and chips.
I’ve ordered a few pintas in SdC no eggs or chips required.

Attachments

• IMG_6048.png
    IMG_6048.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I see that, and a fine selection by the look of it. A brew pub/ craft beer place right on Rua Nova.. Something for everyone, in SdC.

Yea agreed I have never seen them advertised in Spain apart form the ‘tourist hotspots’ where you can enjoy for example a pint of Tropical for only €1 a pint in day Playa Las Amercas/Los Cristianos.

Last edited:
So like I've walked a bunch, and had my share of beers. I think in Spain it depends on the region you are in for how you order it (or even the sizes they offer). I seriously have had this conversation with bartenders at least 100 times. I swear I always get a different answer. My go to now is... "La cerveza más grande que tienes." (The biggest beer you got.) That pretty much works. I am always a little bummed when it turns out to be a botella.

For US folk please note that a pint is not the same measure globally. I know the USA pint is about 20 % smaller than the UK pint
The pint is originally a French measure, which varied regionally. The Parisian pinte is exactly 0.5L, and seems to have been a basis of the metric system.

However -- the lyonnais pinte was smaller, and it remains the case that a pinte of wine is smaller in France (~0.47L) than a pinte of beer -- though for wine nowadays, it's usually called a pot instead (or sometimes pot lyonnais).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Parisian pinte is exactly 0.5L, and seems to have been a basis of the metric system.
I've read a few explanations of the base units of the metric system but none that are based on the Parisian pinte. Most frequently, I've read that the metre is the base unit (either 1/10,000,000 the distance from the North Pole to the equator or the length of a pendulum with a half swing time of one second). The volume of a litre is derived from the length of a metre (10 cm cubed).

I've read a few explanations of the base units of the metric system but none that are based on the Parisian pinte. Most frequently, I've read that the metre is the base unit (either 1/10,000,000 the distance from the North Pole to the equator or the length of a pendulum with a half swing time of one second). The volume of a litre is derived from the length of a metre (10 cm cubed).
I was educated in French schools, and the basis of the metric system is liquid volumes.

1,000cm³ of water weighs one litre, and if kept in a cubic volume is 10cm x 10cm x 10cm.

The distance from the North (or South) Pole to the equator is variable, as our planet is not a perfect sphere, and it does not round out to 10,000,000 metres exactly. It's about 10,007.56 km average.

Yes that ~10,000K was used as a justification for a "universal" and "rational" measurement system, but in practice, the cubic size of a litre of perfectly distilled purified water at sea level defined the fundamental measures in the system. Well, until they redefined the metre as a particular fraction of light speed.

Time measurements are not metric, despite some unsuccessful attempts to that end by French Revolutionaries. They are based on ancient Sumerian and Babylonian astrology.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One more thing. "The biggest beer they got" is usually 400-500 ml. It's best when it comes in a frosted glass. Once you see them heading to the freezer, you know you'll get a good one.
They do serve one littre bottles in restaurants, too. Propably more in rural areas than big cities.

So like I've walked a bunch, and had my share of beers. I think in Spain it depends on the region you are in for how you order it (or even the sizes they offer). I seriously have had this conversation with bartenders at least 100 times. I swear I always get a different answer. My go to now is... "La cerveza más grande que tienes." (The biggest beer you got.) That pretty much works. I am always a little bummed when it turns out to be a botella.
Big works for me. Did't fly all the way to Spain to drink small.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although I usually drink beer during the day I do like a glass of wine at night. I usually just got a glass of wine but never thought of them being different sizes because they all seemed the same. So the question is, does wine by the glass come in different sizes.

Although I usually drink beer during the day I do like a glass of wine at night. I usually just got a glass of wine but never thought of them being different sizes because they all seemed the same. So the question is, does wine by the glass come in different sizes.
I don't think I've ever ordered a glass of wine in my life, so I have no clue. I do however have a wine trick for the camino... so like if you get a "pilgrims menu" it comes with wine or water... Now I'm not being a connoisseur or anything but it's the cheap stuff. Anyways, if you sit alone you get 1 bottle. If you sit as a pair you get 1 bottle. If there are three of you, you may get 2 bottles, or 1. Four people definitely get 2 bottles. The trick is to sit alone. Just be sure to get back to the albergue before they lock the doors.

I don't think I've ever ordered a glass of wine in my life, so I have no clue. I do however have a wine trick for the camino... so like if you get a "pilgrims menu" it comes with wine or water... Now I'm not being a connoisseur or anything but it's the cheap stuff. Anyways, if you sit alone you get 1 bottle. If you sit as a pair you get 1 bottle. If there are three of you, you may get 2 bottles, or 1. Four people definitely get 2 bottles. The trick is to sit alone. Just be sure to get back to the albergue before they lock the doors.
Yes I have noticed that (as a keen red wine drinker)! and didn’t quite get it!!! Anyway even the cheap stuff tends to be decent in Spain. I will search but not sure if there have been anyone threads with recommendations.

Last edited:

€149,-

I noticed this but i also noticed they sometimes gave half a bottle.

Today i was alone, they gave me a bottle and i just drank half. I could have easily drank an extra glass before leaving.

I'd love to know if it's frowned upon to polish off the entire bottle, or is it expected.

I noticed this but i also noticed they sometimes gave half a bottle.

Today i was alone, they gave me a bottle and i just drank half. I could have easily drank an extra glass before leaving.

I'd love to know if it's frowned upon to polish off the entire bottle, or is it expected.
I have always been offered a full bottle and polished it off without even considering it tbh!’ Do what you want I guess!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I do notice that the server is wearing a tee shirt that advertises their craft beer in English rather than Spanish.
It's not much different than when the servers have American songs playing in the background, but they speak no English at all; It happens quite often.

It's not much different than when the servers have American songs playing in the background, but they speak no English at all; It happens quite often.
Well then you should speak spanish. :) This is another go to line: "Lo siento. No puedo hablar en espanol bueno. Hablame como soy un niñito que no es intelligenete,

Last edited:
I do notice that the server is wearing a tee shirt that advertises their craft beer in English rather than Spanish.

Can’t comment on the shirts but the beer is largely Spanish or western European

Forgive me for saying so, and perhaps it's not relevant to the discussion, but that particular place is a hipster, craft beer pub for tourists, with prices to match.. not really typical of spanish bar culture and not a place where you'd expect to find many locals drinking. Just saying..

I've been in a couple of such places that have popped up in other cities in Spain and Portugal where they quote a large beer as 'pinta' which does suggest to me they are playing to a tourist audience.

The most common (and useful) expressions you'll hear in Spain when ordering is simply 'una caña' for a small draught beer and 'un tercio' for a 33cl bottle. Simple is good..

€60,-
Forgive me for saying so, and perhaps it's not relevant to the discussion, but that particular place is a hipster, craft beer pub for tourists, with prices to match.. not really typical of spanish bar culture and not a place where you'd expect to find many locals drinking. Just saying..

I've been in a couple of such places that have popped up in other cities in Spain and Portugal where they quote a large beer as 'pinta' which does suggest to me they are playing to a tourist audience.

The most common (and useful) expressions you'll hear in Spain when ordering is simply 'una caña' for a small draught beer and 'un tercio' for a 33cl bottle. Simple is good..
Estrella de Galicia (or insert generic regional version here) is good but there are so many better Spanish beers. Would I pay more for it, absolutely. Would I still have an ice cold only one choice in the bar beer after a long hot day, absolutely. It’s about opportunity, choice and curiosity. If you’re happy with the generic stuff good on ya but don’t disparage me or anyone else for looking for something better.

The big mugs are a jarra
what do you want with a copa, a cana or a cabana? Order JARRA!!!! ;) 🤣

The most common (and useful) expressions you'll hear in Spain when ordering is simply 'una caña' for a small draught beer and 'un tercio' for a 33cl bottle. Simple is good.
Ok, like I've never once heard "tercerio". But it may work if you want a botella. Cana is 200 ml,

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back