• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Service Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jenny, I'll try and get the dog and the husband to come to the next one! Then you can convince the husband that he can't wait to be a hospitalero...!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Steady Doug. Your aversion to dogs is known and understood.
I really don't have an aversion to dogs, just to the prospect of being made unwell by them. Minimizing the spread of dog dander and dog slobber in shared areas of albergues would do much to reduce the potential harm. For a well trained service dog, this might not be difficult to achieve - they are unlikely to roam freely into kitchens etc, but should be sufficiently disciplined to remain calmly in a small area. For animals that are basically family pets and allowed to roam freely at home, this isn't all that easy to achieve. At least that is my observation having been in herberge and albergue on several occasions with both guide dogs and dogs that are family pets.

I really don't have an aversion to dogs, just to the prospect of being made unwell by them. Minimizing the spread of dog dander and dog slobber in shared areas of albergues would do much to reduce the potential harm. For a well trained service dog, this might not be difficult to achieve - they are unlikely to roam freely into kitchens etc, but should be sufficiently disciplined to remain calmly in a small area. For animals that are basically family pets and allowed to roam freely at home, this isn't all that easy to achieve. At least that is my observation having been in herberge and albergue on several occasions with both guide dogs and dogs that are family pets.
You should try my method of germ conditioning ice cream with dog saliva. Same holds true with dander let the grandkids crawl thru it. So far no allergies like their mother:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wish I'd had time to take a picture of the pilgrim dog I saw last week! Three or four young people were riding bicycles along the CF on the Meseta, one of them with a HUGE, brightly painted sidecar, in which a very happy golden retriever was sitting, tail, ears and tongue waving in the breeze. The sidecar seemed to have a roof and was probably used as a mobile doghouse where these people stopped - it looked as if it had a roof that could be fastened on to it, and was big enough for two or three dogs...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Quoting from a post my wife made under my name a year or so ago:

I realize some of this has been said in jest. However, as someone who brought a baby on the Camino (who only cried once and was often sniffed by smelly pilgrims who loved his shampoo scent), I really think people should be less judgmental of what kind of Camino people should do and what and whom belongs on it. Bringing a baby and/or a dog on Camino is no small task: it requires a serious amount of planning and consideration for yourself and your fellow peregrinos. I would have NEVER allowed my baby to disturb others' sleep, which is why we slept in private accommodations or private rooms in albergues. For the record (and there are a million photos to prove this), my baby loved the Camino and many people loved seeing him (far more so than not).

We briefly considered bringing our dog. He is a border collie. He could do it, we are fairly certain. But, I would be sure I spoke enough Spanish to converse with a vet (there are a ton of hazards to a dog that must be considered). I would keep said dog on a leash (it's the law in most places and a good idea in farm country). And I would be prepared to curb my experience to ensure the welfare of my dog (since he did not ask to go). For a host of reasons, not just the baby, we did not bring our dog. I would probably never bring my dog as it requires so much thought--far more than our baby ever did.

People seek this forum out for help and assistance. Being dismissive, even if one is trying to be funny or snarky, just isn't helpful.

Ok, I have only read part of this thread, but here is my advice experience regarding taking a service dog that somebody needs in order to be able to make the pilgrimage.

Opposite to what some have stated, we do have and know about service dogs in Europe. Most of them are seeing-eye/guide dogs but also other kind of service dogs are common.
Outside of the real big cities service dogs are not very common in Spain.
Spain is in the EU and EU law is that an accredited service dog has to be allowed inside places that are barred to 'normal' dogs.
Not allowing an accredited service dog for example in an albergue is breaking the law.

From what you wrote in your previous posts you are well used to travel with your dog, so I skip the part about food and other logistic problems. The one thing you have to do before leaving is getting your service dogs accreditation translated into Spanish. I would strongly suggest to contact your nearest Spanish embassy for help regarding this. Some years ago it was still necessary to 'register' a foreign service with a Spanish authority to make him 'official', not sure about the situation now. Again, ask your nearest Spanish embassy. You might also want to contact http://www.assistancedogsinternatio...s/by-region/europe-adeu/legislation-in-spain/ for help.

Hope that helps and I hope you two meet a lot of wonderful pilgrims on the way that understand why you need to take your dog on pilgrimage. Buen Camino! SY

All, I have a legitimate service dog who travels with me. Anyone know about the implications of taking a dog on this route?
Hi Diggs,

I also use a service dog, a beautiful English Lab who just turned 5. Oddly enough, I use him for the same reasons you mentioned. I am a retired vet from Seattle, but Jasper & I now live and work in Germany. I might be able to help you with travel tips. We’ve made the round trip from Frankfurt to Seattle – typically on a Delta & KLM combination and through Amsterdam 4 times already. Jasper is 105lbs and barely fits in front of me, but I always get a non-exit row bulkhead or handicapped seat. Delta is helpful. KLM is helpful and so kind. I just love Dutch hospitality.

I started my Camino in June 2014 in Pamplona. I walked to Santiago, but skipped a couple of sections because of injury & time constraints. I hiked without my dog – and it was pretty horrible for me. I was in great shape, ready, with broke in boots, good gear and plenty of trail time – but that time was all with Jasper.

I have a staggered gait (TBI issue) that he corrects just by staying on my left side and keeping the leash tight. Hiking poles helped, but I destroyed my left foot, ankle, and knew. Blisters are common, right? Well – these were something out of a nightmare and only on the left foot because I do this weird little double-step-drag thing. And the swelling in my ankle & left knee was ridiculous. There were a couple of days that walking was not possible.

The PTS was okay, but not in the bigger cities. I walked into Leon, but couldn’t handle the noise and traffic. So after hiding out in a hotel and crying most of the night, I cabbed out in the morning to where I felt I could pick back up and feel normal again.

I’m contemplating hiking May 2016 – but starting in SJPDP. I don’t have a ton of time, about 25 days – but I don’t have to do the whole thing in one shot. This is something I now understand. I met several Spanish pilgrims who hike or bike on weekends or extended school holidays. It is easier for me now that I live in Germany to access the Way.

If I go in May, I will take Jasper. I know this will make my 2nd Camino different. I won’t stay in hostels, and I won’t be able to just walk until I’m tired. I’ll have to plan. My relationships with fellow pilgrims will be different too. I also don’t know how I’ll go about attending mass, as I do not take my dog into churches. Regardless, he makes my life better, and like you, I prefer his company over a human assistant or a set of hiking poles.

Good Luck & Buen Camino!

Christine.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 12
People, taking a service dog because you need it is very different from taking a pet dog because you just feel like it. Please take your service dog peregrin@s and walk your own way! And yes, you might be surprised how welcoming Spanish churches will be as long as your service dog is clearly marked as what he is! Buen Camino, SY

Actually @ChristineW67 and @diggs SY has a good point - I think you would save yourselves a lot of grief from fellow pilgrims if your dogs are clearly marked "service dog" or perhaps even "therapy dog". Maybe get a nice doggy coat with the words embroidered in big letters.

I love dogs but would never take my own on camino - our whippet would be terrified and I'd probably have to carry him all the way. Plus he has no stamina. But I'd love to meet up with your dogs along the way, and I bet many others who are missing their own dogs would too.

If I go in May, I will take Jasper. I know this will make my 2nd Camino different. I won’t stay in hostels, and I won’t be able to just walk until I’m tired. I’ll have to plan. My relationships with fellow pilgrims will be different too.
But I'd love to meet up with your dogs along the way, and I bet many others who are missing their own dogs would too.
Me too. There will be many dogless dog-lovers (like me) on the Camino who will be glad to see Arthur or Jasper, Diggs and Christine--what a gorgeous beings they are. And I know because your dogs are not pets but day to day go-everywhere companions, you'll know more than most of us about how to be sensitive to those who for whatever reason are not dog lovers. And how to cope with the needs of your hard-working canine companions.
Only one thing to add...this year I was walking more or less in sync with a fellow who'd walked from Italy with his 2 dogs (one a border collie and other other a shepherd mix), and based on his experience I'd strongly second Meri's suggestion about boots--Diggs, I know you already mentioned that you have them. By the time those guys got to Santiago, their paws had really taken a beating.
[Edited for clarity...]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually @ChristineW67 and @diggs SY has a good point - I think you would save yourselves a lot of grief from fellow pilgrims if your dogs are clearly marked "service dog" or perhaps even "therapy dog". Maybe get a nice doggy coat with the words embroidered in big letters.
I am in two minds about this. First, I think the credibility of a jacket relies on it being ostensibly provided by a reputable assistance dog provider. Just embroidering a label on a jacket wouldn't appeal to me as establishing anything but the quality of one's sewing skills. There are generally much clearer indications in the behaviour of the dog and its owner than a jacket.

My observation is that working assistance dogs are doing a job, and should not be disrupted or distracted from doing that for their owner by other people. Owners who do not enforce this immediately cause me to doubt that the status they are claiming for their dog is genuine. The other side of this is equally valid, and that is that an assistance dog should not solicit attention when in public or when its owner is with other people, and any attention seeking by the dog indicates to me that it is a pet, not a trained working dog.

Second, my view is that the real identification problem is not what other pilgrims think, but about any right of access to establishments that ban entry to pet animals. I don't know what forms an acceptable means of identification that establishes the bona fides of an assistance dog, but I am sure that current owners of such dogs must face that challenge from time to time and are able to deal with it when the circumstance arises.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am in two minds about this. First, I think the credibility of a jacket relies on it being ostensibly provided by a reputable assistance dog provider. Just embroidering a label on a jacket wouldn't appeal to me as establishing anything but the quality of one's sewing skills. There are generally much clearer indications in the behaviour of the dog and its owner than a jacket.

My observation is that working assistance dogs are doing a job, and should not be disrupted or distracted from doing that for their owner by other people. Owners who do not enforce this immediately cause me to doubt that the status they are claiming for their dog is genuine. The other side of this is equally valid, and that is that an assistance dog should not solicit attention when in public or when its owner is with other people, and any attention seeking by the dog indicates to me that it is a pet, not a trained working dog.

Second, my view is that the real identification problem is not what other pilgrims think, but about any right of access to establishments that ban entry to pet animals. I don't know what forms an acceptable means of identification that establishes the bona fides of an assistance dog, but I am sure that current owners of such dogs must face that challenge from time to time and are able to deal with it when the circumstance arises.
Access is often an issue, even in my home state of Washington, where service dogs are not as rare. It can also be difficult to get a cab. There are pockets in the US where cab drivers seem to share common ethnic origins and/or religious beliefs – and they won’t let my dog in the cab. This is a violation of law, but there isn’t much to do about it. I am accustomed to denial. I live in Germany now and disability laws are different. I’m just lucky this is such a dog-friendly country. It is common practice to bring a dog into a restaurant, hotel, hairdresser, shopping mall - but never a grocery or pharmacy. I’m still finding the rhythm.

When it comes to guidelines and etiquette, service dogs are kind of like pilgrims. Some are better at assimilating than others. Jasper looks and behaves (more or less) like a “real” service dog. He owns several service dog capes – one for hot weather, one with pockets for carrying water & food, one with rings to hook a cane-like handle, and lately he sports a lovely purple number – all are marked “Service Dog.” I need to get badges made in Spanish for him.

But here is the deal – Service dog behavior often depends on the job the dog performs and the needs of the owner. You cannot judge the validity of Jasper or me if I happen to let folks pet my dog – and I do let people pet him, and he loves it. For me to be the “don’t touch,” kind of dog-handler is out of my character and doesn’t fit with day-to-day life. This is my disability, my dog, and my life. I’m a professor for the military. My students are US military. Many suffer from PTS. Many are homesick and missing their family dogs. Jasper seeks them out. He smells anxiety. He knows who needs and wants his love – but yes, he makes mistakes too. Like we all do. And he has a couple of unsavory habits – not like garbage digging or lifting-leg where he should not, but he isn’t perfect.

Pilgrims are not perfect either. I recall brushing my teeth in a long trough sink in Villa Franca (I believe). A very sweaty, very stinky, pilgrim came up to me and engaged me in conversation – French (but I don’t speak French, either). He then pulled down his bicycle shorts, pulled out a horrible looking thing that had been smashed on a bike seat for far too long, and peed in the trough sink - all while chatting me up, all while I was still brushing my teeth. Evidently, he thought the communal sink was also a urinal – he made a mistake and he wasn’t perfect. I promise, Jasper has never behaved so poorly.

You cannot judge the validity of Jasper or me if I happen to let folks pet my dog – and I do let people pet him, and he loves it.
I am afraid that it is just so much wishful thinking to believe that others cannot or will not form judgements about whether dog being presented as a service dog is bona fide. And if you have a 'working' dog that you allow to be petted indiscriminately (rather than as part of a training reinforcement regime) I for one would form the view that you have a pet dog. Whether I should, whether any judgement I happen to form is correct, or whether it is particularly relevant that I do so are quite different matters.

I am aware of the good work that dogs do in a variety of care situations, and if their owners want to walk the camino with them, I don't have a difficulty with that either. I would expect that a bona fide service dog would have passed a standard service dog assessment before being placed, and be free of vices and 'unsavory habits'! If not, and someone is planning to walk with a dog that cannot pass such an assessment, it would in some small way put in jeopardy the good work of the service dog industry. Over many decades, they have been able to convince the public generally and legislators in particular that they can and do provide dogs that are completely safe to have mix with the general public. It would be a shame to break that faith in any way.

Last edited:
@dougfitz The allowing of petting of service dogs by the owner depends on the kind of service the dog performs. You have service dogs to help with all kind of visible and invisible problems, like PTS support, balance support, allergen sniffers, even epileptic attack pre-warning. I think the dog handler knows best if it is a good moment to let the dog be petted or not. If in doubt about a service dog being legitimate, just ask politely 'what does s/he do for you?' You might be surprised by the answer. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My understanding regarding the petting of service dogs is that one should pet the animal only after having asked for and received permission from the owner to do so. In other words, the service dog is 'on duty' and petting the dog without having first received permission will confuse the dog. That's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding regarding the petting of service dogs is that one should pet the animal only after having asked for and received permission from the owner to do so. In other words, the service dog is 'on duty' and petting the dog without having first received permission will confuse the dog. That's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are absolutely correct! SY

If in doubt about a service dog being legitimate, just ask politely 'what does s/he do for you?' You might be surprised by the answer.
An open mind asks, a closed one tells.
This question is a wonderful one to ask--it opens up a dialog. You and the person/dog team will be in a better place to understand each other, and to be sensitive to each other.
I was once privileged to be able to accompany a canine service team in a very large military hospital...and was surprised at what these 'normal-looking' and 'normal-acting' dogs were called to do, every day. They are literally life-savers and you can't always tell that from a cursory encounter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All, I have a legitimate service dog who travels with me. Anyone know about the implications of taking a dog on this route?
In Australia, service dogs are generally more commonly referred to as assistance animals, although I think both terms are used and appear to be well understood as synonymous. They are generally distinguished from other working dogs, particularly therapy pets or emotional support animals, a distinction we are at risk of not making in this discussion. The fact that @diggs thought it was important to make the statement this way indicates to me he is specifically asking about an assistance dog, not other types of working animals.

If in doubt about a service dog being legitimate, just ask politely 'what does s/he do for you?'
In Australia, there are generally just two tests for an assistance animal, (1) that the person has a disability and (2) that the animal is trained to help that person alleviate the effects of the disability. I understand that this is similar to the position in the US. This would indicate to me that there are two questions that can be asked:
  • Do you have a disability?
  • What tasks does your assistance animal do to alleviate the effects of that disability?
Certification or accreditation goes to establishing that the animal will behave when it has been allowed into places where it might otherwise not have been given access. Where I come from, there is a 'reasonable excuse' provision along the lines that 'A person must not, without reasonable excuse, deny a person with a disability accompanied by an assistance animal access to, or the use of, a public place'. It allows for someone to ask for a badly behaving animal to be removed from a public place even if has been given access as an assistance animal.

BTW, if you don't think this is an issue, I suggest you do an internet search for 'service dog scams' and enjoy some wonderfully entertaining reading. I suspect that even the most ardent of advocates for the rights of disabled people would be hard put to justify some of the behaviours described in the material you will find.

I was once privileged to be able to accompany a canine service team in a very large military hospital...and was surprised at what these 'normal-looking' and 'normal-acting' dogs were called to do, every day.
These working dogs no doubt perform a valuable service, along with many other emotional support animals, therapy pets, etc. But in Australia and I suspect many other places, they would not be classified as assistance dogs or service dogs, nor always attract the legal protections that status will bring for their owners.

These working dogs no doubt perform a valuable service, along with many other emotional support animals, therapy pets, etc. But in Australia and I suspect many other places, they would not be classified as assistance dogs or service dogs, nor always attract the legal protections that status will bring for their owners.
I don't wish to argue, just to clarify: not so Doug. I was there and worked with them.
I can definitely understand some of your concerns, but also think that the questions you've suggested posing to those who have legitimate service dogs feel a little accusative; at the very least they might put the person on the defensive. Not such a great way to start a conversation. Personally, I like SY's gentler question--the same information would undoubtedly be shared that way, and more willingly.

Last edited:
I can definitely understand some of your concerns, but also think that the questions you've suggested posing to those who have legitimate service dogs have the ring of accusation. Is there a kinder option?
I don't see your point. These questions are completely neutral, and suggest neither accusation nor opprobrium. Further, I suspect that they are the two questions that anyone who has a service dog knows establishes their bona fides.

To be quite honest, if I was walking with someone with a dog, whether or not it is a service dog is largely irrelevant to me. I am interested in whether the dog is properly house trained if it is inside, and that the owner has it in control whether it is inside or outside. Others need to make their own choice about whether or not they need to establish that it is a service dog, not me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As you can see, Doug, I rephrased the post soon after it went up, to make it more clear what I was thinking. Your say your questions are neutral, but perhaps I am influenced but the tone of your post. They would put me on the defensive, anyway, bona fides or not.
Anyway we're talking the Camino here, not a court of law. Cross-examining a fellow pilgrim to establish if they have a disability is something that I would never feel OK about doing. But it's easy to ask what the dog's job is--the same answers will be forthcoming, and there might even be a bond of friendship forged...

To be quite honest, if I was walking with someone with a dog, whether or not it is a service dog is largely irrelevant to me. I am interested in whether the dog is properly house trained if it is inside, and that the owner has it in control whether it is inside or outside. Others need to make their own choice about whether or not they need to establish that it is a service dog, not me.
Honestly, Doug, perhaps I was mistaken, and if so please forgive me--but this is not the impression I got, given the long post when you had already clearly stated that already.

Hi Diggs,

I also use a service dog, a beautiful English Lab who just turned 5. Oddly enough, I use him for the same reasons you mentioned. I am a retired vet from Seattle, but Jasper & I now live and work in Germany. I might be able to help you with travel tips. We’ve made the round trip from Frankfurt to Seattle – typically on a Delta & KLM combination and through Amsterdam 4 times already. Jasper is 105lbs and barely fits in front of me, but I always get a non-exit row bulkhead or handicapped seat. Delta is helpful. KLM is helpful and so kind. I just love Dutch hospitality.

I started my Camino in June 2014 in Pamplona. I walked to Santiago, but skipped a couple of sections because of injury & time constraints. I hiked without my dog – and it was pretty horrible for me. I was in great shape, ready, with broke in boots, good gear and plenty of trail time – but that time was all with Jasper.

I have a staggered gait (TBI issue) that he corrects just by staying on my left side and keeping the leash tight. Hiking poles helped, but I destroyed my left foot, ankle, and knew. Blisters are common, right? Well – these were something out of a nightmare and only on the left foot because I do this weird little double-step-drag thing. And the swelling in my ankle & left knee was ridiculous. There were a couple of days that walking was not possible.

The PTS was okay, but not in the bigger cities. I walked into Leon, but couldn’t handle the noise and traffic. So after hiding out in a hotel and crying most of the night, I cabbed out in the morning to where I felt I could pick back up and feel normal again.

I’m contemplating hiking May 2016 – but starting in SJPDP. I don’t have a ton of time, about 25 days – but I don’t have to do the whole thing in one shot. This is something I now understand. I met several Spanish pilgrims who hike or bike on weekends or extended school holidays. It is easier for me now that I live in Germany to access the Way.

If I go in May, I will take Jasper. I know this will make my 2nd Camino different. I won’t stay in hostels, and I won’t be able to just walk until I’m tired. I’ll have to plan. My relationships with fellow pilgrims will be different too. I also don’t know how I’ll go about attending mass, as I do not take my dog into churches. Regardless, he makes my life better, and like you, I prefer his company over a human assistant or a set of hiking poles.

Good Luck & Buen Camino!

Christine.

Hi Christine,
I really appreciate the input. My dog, Arthur, is 75 lbs, 5 year old black lab, which was trained for two years in a penitentiary in New York. HE travels everywhere with me. Heck we are going to be in the Rose Bowl Parade in January. I'm working with him right now to see if he can do the 20 km a day consistently. I did go climb Kilimanjaro without him, gone three weeks. Man, that was tough, not the climb, being without the dog. If I do Camino, that's two months total including down time in France. Two months without the dog is bad for both of us.

Best of luck to you and Jasper! Maybe I'll see you on the trail?
Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You are correct, always ask to pet. My command for Arthur is "make friends," he is still working, but having a command makes him think getting pet is still work. When his jacket is off, it is then play time.

It is very apparent when someone is passing off a "pet" as a service dog. They are aggressive, nosey, noisy, ill mannered.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a pic, what a pair! (Arthur may as well be saluting.) Beautiful.
Diggs, given the timing it's not likely to happen, but I would be honored to meet you two along the way and it would be a joy to see Arthur in action.

What a pic, what a pair! (Arthur may as well be saluting.) Beautiful.
Diggs, given the timing it's not likely to happen, but I would be honored to meet you two along the way and it would be a joy to see Arthur in action.

Hello Viranani, things are still up in the air on my end, but looking to start in mid - April. I'll be easy to spot if Arthur is with me. It would be fun to meet you and anyone else who is giving input. Cheers!

It may well be true that assistance dogs are not barred from access to albergues but there is certainly no global EU law on assistance dogs that applies to Spain which is was I had already said. I was actually surprised to see that there is not one law dealing with this in Spain but a long list of laws, see Laws on Assistance Dogs - Legal situation concerning the access for users of assistance dogs in the different autonomous communities in 2015: (ley=law, perro=dog)
  • Valencia: Ley 12/2003 de 10 de abril sobre Perros de Asistencia para Personas con Discapacidades.
  • Galicia: Ley 10/2003 de 26 de diciembre sobre el acceso al entorno de las personas con discapacidad acompañadas de perros de asistencia.
  • País Vasco: Ley 10/2007 de 29 de junio sobre Perros de Asistencia para la Atención a Personas con Discapacidad.
  • Cataluña: Ley 19/2009 de 26 de noviembre sobre acceso al entorno de las persona acompañadas de perros de asistencia.
  • Islas Baleares: Ley 1/2014, de 21 de febrero, de perros de asistencia
  • Navarra: Ley Foral 3/2015, de 2 de febrero
  • Murcia: LEY 4/2015, de 3 de marzo.
  • Madrid: LEY 2/2015, de 10 de marzo
I know this goes a bit beyond the OP's request for information but this idea that the laws are always the same everywhere in the EU is just not correct.
Thank you, Katrina, for this info. I have a lot of research to do.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am afraid that it is just so much wishful thinking to believe that others cannot or will not form judgements about whether dog being presented as a service dog is bona fide. And if you have a 'working' dog that you allow to be petted indiscriminately (rather than as part of a training reinforcement regime) I for one would form the view that you have a pet dog. Whether I should, whether any judgement I happen to form is correct, or whether it is particularly relevant that I do so are quite different matters.

I am aware of the good work that dogs do in a variety of care situations, and if their owners want to walk the camino with them, I don't have a difficulty with that either. I would expect that a bona fide service dog would have passed a standard service dog assessment before being placed, and be free of vices and 'unsavory habits'! If not, and someone is planning to walk with a dog that cannot pass such an assessment, it would in some small way put in jeopardy the good work of the service dog industry. Over many decades, they have been able to convince the public generally and legislators in particular that they can and do provide dogs that are completely safe to have mix with the general public. It would be a shame to break that faith in any way.
Wishful thinking has brought me back from very dark places, and wishful thinking is what sparked my initial Camino journey. I'll stick with being wishful. It serves me well. And now, I wish you a lovely day.

Hello Viranani, things are still up in the air on my end, but looking to start in mid - April. I'll be easy to spot if Arthur is with me. It would be fun to meet you and anyone else who is giving input.
It would be fun. But alas I'll already be away from the Camino by then. And I'll miss the chance to see you and Jasper too, Christine. (BTW, do you have a full-sized pic of you two together, like the one Diggs posted? Would love to see it.)
All best wishes for a very buen camino to the 4 of you...
Ultreia!

Access is often an issue, even in my home state of Washington, where service dogs are not as rare. It can also be difficult to get a cab. There are pockets in the US where cab drivers seem to share common ethnic origins and/or religious beliefs – and they won’t let my dog in the cab. This is a violation of law, but there isn’t much to do about it. I am accustomed to denial. I live in Germany now and disability laws are different. I’m just lucky this is such a dog-friendly country. It is common practice to bring a dog into a restaurant, hotel, hairdresser, shopping mall - but never a grocery or pharmacy. I’m still finding the rhythm.

When it comes to guidelines and etiquette, service dogs are kind of like pilgrims. Some are better at assimilating than others. Jasper looks and behaves (more or less) like a “real” service dog. He owns several service dog capes – one for hot weather, one with pockets for carrying water & food, one with rings to hook a cane-like handle, and lately he sports a lovely purple number – all are marked “Service Dog.” I need to get badges made in Spanish for him.

But here is the deal – Service dog behavior often depends on the job the dog performs and the needs of the owner. You cannot judge the validity of Jasper or me if I happen to let folks pet my dog – and I do let people pet him, and he loves it. For me to be the “don’t touch,” kind of dog-handler is out of my character and doesn’t fit with day-to-day life. This is my disability, my dog, and my life. I’m a professor for the military. My students are US military. Many suffer from PTS. Many are homesick and missing their family dogs. Jasper seeks them out. He smells anxiety. He knows who needs and wants his love – but yes, he makes mistakes too. Like we all do. And he has a couple of unsavory habits – not like garbage digging or lifting-leg where he should not, but he isn’t perfect.

Pilgrims are not perfect either. I recall brushing my teeth in a long trough sink in Villa Franca (I believe). A very sweaty, very stinky, pilgrim came up to me and engaged me in conversation – French (but I don’t speak French, either). He then pulled down his bicycle shorts, pulled out a horrible looking thing that had been smashed on a bike seat for far too long, and peed in the trough sink - all while chatting me up, all while I was still brushing my teeth. Evidently, he thought the communal sink was also a urinal – he made a mistake and he wasn’t perfect. I promise, Jasper has never behaved so poorly.

Spanish patch - here - http://www.servicedogsupply.com/espanol-parches.html

Oh! Thank you, Diggs. I just ordered Spanish patches and a bright orange mesh vest, matching collar, & leash. What a good site. I'm happy they have orange. Jasper is black and camouflages with the road. His new vest along with my red backpack will make us highly visible on the sketchy stretches.

Last edited:
Just where Arthur should be travelling. Out of Curiosity, How to you fit a 70 pound dog,under your feet in these horrible Seats?

Hello Anemone DC, Arthur, my service dog, slides himself in under the seat in front of me on the plane, when we do not have a bulkhead seat available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a Service Dog too but there was no way she was going to make a 1,000 km journey with me across Spain to the ocean...first there are many dogs along the Camino and in the Meseta most dogs did not looked cared for and particularly I am unsure if these dogs even had rabies shots...second I was almost attacked by a dog on the route to Muxia and most of the farm dogs look to be completely untrained and if a bike excites these dogs I don't think you will do any better traveling with a dog...third the only Pilgrims I saw with dogs were sleeping in tents along the Camino and most businesses (stores, restaurants, hotels, etc) would not let dogs indoors...fourth the Camino Frances is a very populated route and I promise that you will never have to travel alone unless you decide you just want to be alone...fifth the Spanish just have a different relationship with dogs that is more like a work animal so I don't think they will understand the idea of a Service Dog unless you are noticeably handicapped and in a major city...and lastly it is part of the Camino experience to remove yourself from your daily routine and try something new that is uncomfortable but rewarding.

Kurt, I think you have really summed it up - from a service dog owner too - excellent post.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a Service Dog too but there was no way she was going to make a 1,000 km journey with me across Spain to the ocean...first there are many dogs along the Camino and in the Meseta most dogs did not looked cared for and particularly I am unsure if these dogs even had rabies shots...second I was almost attacked by a dog on the route to Muxia and most of the farm dogs look to be completely untrained and if a bike excites these dogs I don't think you will do any better traveling with a dog...third the only Pilgrims I saw with dogs were sleeping in tents along the Camino and most businesses (stores, restaurants, hotels, etc) would not let dogs indoors...fourth the Camino Frances is a very populated route and I promise that you will never have to travel alone unless you decide you just want to be alone...fifth the Spanish just have a different relationship with dogs that is more like a work animal so I don't think they will understand the idea of a Service Dog unless you are noticeably handicapped and in a major city...and lastly it is part of the Camino experience to remove yourself from your daily routine and try something new that is uncomfortable but rewarding.
Thanks for the advice, Kurt. Many things to consider.

It would be fun. But alas I'll already be away from the Camino by then. And I'll miss the chance to see you and Jasper too, Christine. (BTW, do you have a full-sized pic of you two together, like the one Diggs posted? Would love to see it.)
All best wishes for a very buen camino to the 4 of you...
Ultreia!
Hello Viranani, I am guessing you are walking now? IF you are and are watching this blog, would you do both Christine and me a favor and as you journey and check into the overnight locations, ask what their policy is for service dogs? I would certainly like to get some first hand intelligence. Thank you!

Some of the dogs I have met on the Camino Frances in the last couple of years. None were service dogs and all had to sleep out with their human companions in tents.

The Spanish for dog is perro, so I decided these must be perrogrinos. :rolleyes:

DSCF9305er.jpg

DSCF9237er.jpg

DSCF8032er.jpg

DSCF7265er.jpg

Many things to consider.

My Service Dog turned 5-years old today...a good part of having a Service Dog is that you can take them out for dinner and a movie on their birthday...but if you decide to travel the Camino Frances with your Service Dog I highly recommend boots to protect the the dog's feet from Spanish Chestnuts and other thorns...dog boots are much better than carrying a big black lab on your shoulders (above)...also most "perrogrinos" had dog packs to carry their own food and water and this would be a problem for my Service Dog because of her size...also my Service Dog is not allowed to eat any "people food" to prevent her from begging for food in public places and I only saw one grocery store in the Meseta that stocked dry dog food...maybe someday if I can figure out all the dog logistics I will take my Service Dog with us when my wife and I decide to hike the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago.

My Service Dog turned 5-years old today...a good part of having a Service Dog is that you can take them out for dinner and a movie on their birthday...but if you decide to travel the Camino Frances with your Service Dog I highly recommend boots to protect the the dog's feet from Spanish Chestnuts and other thorns...dog boots are much better than carrying a big black lab on your shoulders (above)...also most "perrogrinos" had dog packs to carry their own food and water and this would be a problem for my Service Dog because of her size...also my Service Dog is not allowed to eat any "people food" to prevent her from begging for food in public places and I only saw one grocery store in the Meseta that stocked dry dog food...maybe someday if I can figure out all the dog logistics I will take my Service Dog with us when my wife and I decide to hike the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago.

Hello Kurt, My dog turned 5 on Christmas day. We are currently walking 4 - 6 miles a day. I do have vey high end boots which he just hates, but they seem to be doing the job. When I climbed Kilimanjaro last year I left him with friends and when I returned he was all about people food, even though I had asked that not be introduced to him.

I have to get him up to 10 miles a day prior to leaving and get his pads toughen upped.

My real concern is nightly shelter. I certainly do not want to stay in a tent. I have been told that Spain is actually service dog friendly, but others have cast a shadow of doubt on that. I guess starting tomorrow I will begin emailing the hotels and see what comes back.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Cheers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You may want to consider doing the Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay, France to St Jean Pied de Port. This route is more rugged, probably closer to what you're used to hiking in the Rockies. A lot less black top which would be easier on paws. You do pass through pastures with livestock, but being from Colorado, I'm guessing that your dog has been trained to deal with this.

The French treat dogs as family members. I could take my golden and my rotty anywhere. If I didn't bring them, I was chastised. :) I would be surprised if your service dog was not welcomed in the gites (albergues). Some of the gites are used by vacationers, not just pilgrims and many French travel with their pets. (There's a reason that Motel 6 allows pets with no extra charge... it was part of the French Accor chain.)

Last edited:
You may want to consider doing the Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay, France to St Jean Pied de Port. This route is more rugged, probably closer to what you're used to hiking in the Rockies. A lot less black top which would be easier on paws. You do pass through pastures with livestock, but being from Colorado, I'm guessing that your dog has been trained to deal with this.

The French treat dogs as family members. I could take my golden and my rotty anywhere. If I didn't bring them, I was chastised. :) I would be surprised if your service dog was not welcomed in the gites (albergues). Some of the gites are used by vacationers, not just pilgrims and many French travel with their pets. (There's a reason that Motel 6 allows pets with no extra charge... it was part of the French Accor chain.)

Thank you, BShea, my dog, Arthur, is a highly trained service dog. He does not distract easily, so I don't think sheep or cattle will be a problem. And you are correct, we do trek the Rockies, climbing 14,000 ft mountains, I am buying booties for this trip, just in case they are needed. We have been training with them for the past week. He is not a fan of booties.

Thank you, again.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I admit I have not read this entire thread.
But I will give my opinion.
I think the first thing to think about is the DOG.
What a hell of a trip it will be for the DOG.
First, will it be allowed to travel on board with you or will it be in a cold, noisy hold?
Where will the DOG pee during this long flight?
I have seen some dogs with really bloody feet on the Camino.
House dogs are not used to walking 20 kilometers every single day on a variety of track,
even dogs who have gone on camping or hiking trips. This is different.
You could risk grave injury to your dogs feet and hips, booties or not.
Where will you sleep? Not all places are going to allow (or welcome) your dog, nor are all pilgrims, some of which may be allergic and may not appreciate the dog
What about farm dogs - how will you protect your dog from attack? Is the anxiety worth it?
What about food? Does your dog have a special diet?
Will you pick up and carry his poop along the Camino?

I just don't know how I feel about taking a dog on the Camino, especially if you are flying from the West Coast.
It doesn't seem fair to the dog...

I'm gonna duck down behind my desk now because I imagine there will be some incoming tomatoes. . . I just wouldn't take my dog. Nope.

But if you do, best of luck and Buen Camino!
I hope you'll blog and post photos for us.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Icacos, my service dog is named Arthur. He is a black English Labrador Retriever. He will be 5 years old this Christmas Day. A very fine dog, indeed.

Hi Annie, Arthur being a service dog, rides at my feet when we fly.
I have an 85-pound yellow lab, and we love her so much that most of our travels include her. Our black mini schnauzer can stay at the doggie sitter, but Tegan pouts...and stares at the door...and just is the saddest lab in the world. So, when I travel, Jay's at home. When he travels, she's with him. Scotland trip this fall, we will have house sitters.

:D Avoid distressing who unnecessarily, Doug? The dogs or the people?
Seriously.....I am not really a 'dog' person, but I could not imagine ever being distressed by having a companion dog near me, ever. They are the most beautifully trained, and wonderful beings.

I have a relative who has serious asthma when she is around dogs or cats (or any furred animals, really), so that would be a distress. Other than that type of health issue, I agree with you. One of my wedding guests had a companion dog, and my father didn't even notice him until he inadvertently stepped on his tail (poor Casper!)

I admit I have not read this entire thread.
But I will give my opinion.
I think the first thing to think about is the DOG.
What a hell of a trip it will be for the DOG.
First, will it be allowed to travel on board with you or will it be in a cold, noisy hold?
Where will the DOG pee during this long flight?
I have seen some dogs with really bloody feet on the Camino.
House dogs are not used to walking 20 kilometers every single day on a variety of track,
even dogs who have gone on camping or hiking trips. This is different.
You could risk grave injury to your dogs feet and hips, booties or not.
Where will you sleep? Not all places are going to allow (or welcome) your dog, nor are all pilgrims, some of which may be allergic and may not appreciate the dog
What about farm dogs - how will you protect your dog from attack? Is the anxiety worth it?
What about food? Does your dog have a special diet?
Will you pick up and carry his poop along the Camino?

I just don't know how I feel about taking a dog on the Camino, especially if you are flying from the West Coast.
It doesn't seem fair to the dog...

I'm gonna duck down behind my desk now because I imagine there will be some incoming tomatoes. . . I just wouldn't take my dog. Nope.

But if you do, best of luck and Buen Camino!
I hope you'll blog and post photos for us.;)
HI Annie, no tomatoes coming form me. All suggestions are weighed. Arthur and I walk 4 - 6 miles a day right now and will work up to 10 prior to departure, if indeed he is going.
Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I imagine there will be some incoming tomatoes
I think I got some earlier in the thread for raising some of the concerns you have raised, so you might be safe. In my view there has been some fuzzy thinking about the difference between an assistance animal (as they are referred to in Australian legislation) and dogs working as companion animals, either for an individual or with a handler as part of a well-being program in, say, a hospital or aged care facility. It is an important distinction here in Australia, inasmuch as assistance animals cannot be barred from entry to anywhere its human can go without reasonable justification. I suspect that similar provisions exist in most countries, and would apply, for example, to albergues.

I think I got some earlier in the thread for raising some of the concerns you have raised, so you might be safe. In my view there has been some fuzzy thinking about the difference between an assistance animal (as they are referred to in Australian legislation) and dogs working as companion animals, either for an individual or with a handler as part of a well-being program in, say, a hospital or aged care facility. It is an important distinction here in Australia, inasmuch as assistance animals cannot be barred from entry to anywhere its human can go without reasonable justification. I suspect that similar provisions exist in most countries, and would apply, for example, to albergues.

Hi Doug,
In the US, by law, service dogs, which Arthur is, go everywhere, therapy dogs, no. That isn't to say we can go everywhere. I did get kicked out of a restaurant in Chicago. That made national news and the restaurant went from a 5 star rating to a 1.2 star overnight. They also paid fines. Spain is supposed to be the same, but in the rural areas, they may not be aware of the laws. I have no doubt Arthur (my dog) can walk 10 miles a day, we hike the 14,000 foot mountains of Colorado, I am just concerned with overnight accommodations. He flies at my feet on planes and go 18 hours without having to use the potty.

I do appreciate all the input. I am still working on an alternative answer in case I feel I must leave him.

Cheers!

Hi Doug,
In the US, by law, service dogs, which Arthur is, go everywhere, therapy dogs, no. That isn't to say we can go everywhere. I did get kicked out of a restaurant in Chicago. That made national news and the restaurant went from a 5 star rating to a 1.2 star overnight. They also paid fines. Spain is supposed to be the same, but in the rural areas, they may not be aware of the laws. I have no doubt Arthur (my dog) can walk 10 miles a day, we hike the 14,000 foot mountains of Colorado, I am just concerned with overnight accommodations. He flies at my feet on planes and go 18 hours without having to use the potty.

I do appreciate all the input. I am still working on an alternative answer in case I feel I must leave him.

Cheers!

If you had a dog sitter lined up before, but that fell through, you can probably do the walk okay without handsome and lovable Arthur.

I almost wonder if you wouldn't consider perhaps breaking up your walk a bit---perhaps you could walk for three weeks, and stop, and return to Art. Then, in six months come back and take three more weeks. I'm retired and my husband and I are comfortable, so this kind of trip is something I could consider!

Or if you even brought Arthur, and just gave it a try to see how things went? In any event, I know you will have a great time. Best of luck.

Deb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Doug,

Cheers!
Diggs - any decision yet? Just curious, as my friend who had a service dog (seeing eye dog, she was totally blind) actually travelled everywhere with him - many South American and European countries, North America, Japan. The only country she had problems with was Russia - they would not let her an her dog in. Other than that, it seems that many of the issues that people are raising in this thread are common everywhere, not just on the Camino - is the dog well behaved (my friend was refused access to the city bus because there was already a service dog on the bus and the driver thought the two might fight! that went to court!), can people pet the dog (in Casper's case, if his harness was off he could play, otherwise he was working and he knew it). All to say that what service dogs I saw were amazingly well trained, and I'm just curious as to your decision. Either way, good luck and buen Camino!

If you had a dog sitter lined up before, but that fell through, you can probably do the walk okay without handsome and lovable Arthur.

I almost wonder if you wouldn't consider perhaps breaking up your walk a bit---perhaps you could walk for three weeks, and stop, and return to Art. Then, in six months come back and take three more weeks. I'm retired and my husband and I are comfortable, so this kind of trip is something I could consider!

Or if you even brought Arthur, and just gave it a try to see how things went? In any event, I know you will have a great time. Best of luck.

Hi Deb,
The dog sitter was my sister in Paris. I'm still working a "fall back" plan if things are not working out. I am a disabled veteran, hence $$$ is tough to come by, so I have to knock this out in one go. Airline ticket is expensive as everyone knows. I am thinking that if I have to drop him, I will go back to Paris and she will take him out of the kindness of her heart. Fingers crossed.

Sending you a message. Hold on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Diggs - any decision yet? Just curious, as my friend who had a service dog (seeing eye dog, she was totally blind) actually travelled everywhere with him - many South American and European countries, North America, Japan. The only country she had problems with was Russia - they would not let her an her dog in. Other than that, it seems that many of the issues that people are raising in this thread are common everywhere, not just on the Camino - is the dog well behaved (my friend was refused access to the city bus because there was already a service dog on the bus and the driver thought the two might fight! that went to court!), can people pet the dog (in Casper's case, if his harness was off he could play, otherwise he was working and he knew it). All to say that what service dogs I saw were amazingly well trained, and I'm just curious as to your decision. Either way, good luck and buen Camino!
Hello C3, I'm still in the decision making process on this. The logistics aren't really a concern, other than not having a place to stay over night. It is very rare that I have any issues in the US, other than one bad experience in Chicago. If you keep an eye out here, sometime around April 7th there will be a decision made. Thank you for your input! Cheers!

I do have very high end boots which he just hates, but they seem to be doing the job.

I was looking through my Camino pictures tonight and I found several pictures that might interest you...first the high country in Spain is cover with Canadian Thistle which you have seen in Colorado before...but there is a particularly noticeable thistle plant that looks like a giant tumble weed that can grow 3-feet high in the Meseta that even impressed me and I have the scar to prove it (pictures)...but as I got closer to Santiago the trail was covered with Spanish Chestnuts like nothing I have ever seen before (picture)...just make sure you have good boots for your big black dog.

Attachments

• DSCF2448.JPG
    DSCF2448.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF2360.JPG
    DSCF2360.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF2604.JPG
    DSCF2604.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 20
I was looking through my Camino pictures tonight and I found several pictures that might interest you...first the high country in Spain is cover with Canadian Thistle which you have seen in Colorado before...but there is a particularly noticeable thistle plant that looks like a giant tumble weed that can grow 3-feet high in the Meseta that even impressed me and I have the scar to prove it (pictures)...but as I got closer to Santiago the trail was covered with Spanish Chestnuts like nothing I have ever seen before (picture)...just make sure you have good boots for your big black dog.
Thanks, Kurt! I am going to join the Front Range Chapter.

Hello All:

My Camino will begin April 5th from SJPP. After much deliberation I have decided to leave my service dog with my sister in Paris. I want to thank all of you for your responses and support. See you on The Way.

Cheers!
Hi Diggs,

A difficult choice I'm sure.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Wow - a picture is worth a thousand words. And ouch!

Hello Viranani, I am guessing you are walking now? IF you are and are watching this blog, would you do both Christine and me a favor and as you journey and check into the overnight locations, ask what their policy is for service dogs? I would certainly like to get some first hand intelligence. Thank you!
Not yet, Diggs, but soon. Sorry not to reply sooner (life has been full), but I see you've already made your (probably not easy) decision. Wishing you a wonderful walk--Buen Camino and ultreia!

Not yet, Diggs, but soon. Sorry not to reply sooner (life has been full), but I see you've already made your (probably not easy) decision. Wishing you a wonderful walk--Buen Camino and ultreia!
Hello Viranani, you are correct, not easy decision, but probably the wise choice. He will stay in Paris with my sister. My mother died last week so now I have to push out my Camino dates a bit, probably start my walk in late April. Best of luck on yours! Cheers!

So sorry to hear of your mother's passing, Diggs. Even as adults, it is a great loss. My heartfelt condolences...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Arthur did not make the Kili trip with me, I was there three weeks, one out on the Serengeti
If you did not need your dog for the Kili trip, why do you need him for the Camino Frances?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Deb
HI Deb, I am guessing you have read all the follow-ups. Arthur is now going to stay with my sister in Paris. I was having so much trouble finding places when I called ahead that understood "service dog", even though it is a new law in Spain that they must be accepted. So, here we go. I begin April 27th. Cheers!

Hi Keith, my dog is a service dog. He helps me with PTS and balance. He is a large dog, Lab, who is very highly trained and very well behaved. He is never off leash, except play time. I understand that Spain has recently (past couple years) become move attentive to service dogs and welcoming of them. We do hike the mountains in Colorado, so he is in pretty good shape. Thank you for the concern. Cheers!
Hi Diggs,
This really piqued my interest. I am a diehard dog person who works with dogs in Lyons, just over an hour from you in Colorado. How did you resolve this? Did you walk the Camino? Without the ADA it's hard to travel many places with a service dog, from what I hear. Paws crossed that you persevered.

Dogs so just fine travelling in the hold. The concern is making sure the airport employées don't forget to load them up. I never board before knowing my dog is on board.
Service dogs ride with you...I have one. Comfort dogs, whatever they are, can also but must be crated. Mine sits by my feet and if there is a vacant seat, and the stew says it is OK, she will ride there. Never had a problem, she sleeps most of the way. Guess she is used to my driving.

Hi Diggs,
This really piqued my interest. I am a diehard dog person who works with dogs in Lyons, just over an hour from you in Colorado. How did you resolve this? Did you walk the Camino? Without the ADA it's hard to travel many places with a service dog, from what I hear. Paws crossed that you persevered.

Hi NB,
Arthur, my dog, stayed with my sister who lives in France. When I started contacted potential places to stay over night I was having difficulty in securing a room due to the dog. After completing the Camino, I am glad that I did leave him. I had a couple 26 mile days that probably would have caused a lot of damage. Although, had he been with me, I probably would not have pushed it so hard.

I have actually had good luck in Italy with the dog, France is iffy.

Next time you are in Fort Collins, lets grab a cup of coffee and chat Camino.

Cheers!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi NB,
Arthur, my dog, stayed with my sister who lives in France. When I started contacted potential places to stay over night I was having difficulty in securing a room due to the dog. After completing the Camino, I am glad that I did leave him. I had a couple 26 mile days that probably would have caused a lot of damage. Although, had he been with me, I probably would not have pushed it so hard.

I have actually had good luck in Italy with the dog, France is iffy.

Next time you are in Fort Collins, lets grab a cup of coffee and chat Camino.

Cheers!
Groovy. I will take you up on meeting for coffee, Diggs....as long as I get to meet Arthur! Is the phone number on your website a 7/365 way to catch you or is it separate from your cell/home line?

Thanks for the news, Diggs. I had wondered how it worked out for you and Arthur.
(I missed that Moab photo when the thread was happening. What a dog, and what a pic!)

Hi Keith, my dog is a service dog. He helps me with PTS and balance. He is a large dog, Lab, who is very highly trained and very well behaved. He is never off leash, except play time. I understand that Spain has recently (past couple years) become move attentive to service dogs and welcoming of them. We do hike the mountains in Colorado, so he is in pretty good shape. Thank you for the concern. Cheers!
Protecting the pads of your dog's paws and working them up to the level of walking is imperative. I saw a large german shepherd along the way with his paws a mess a week into his walk. Boots and prep would have saved him. I think the stress of an ill dog along the way would perhaps be more of a stressor than being without. I walked with a balance disorder along the way, and learned some tricks: had to force myself not to look down at the path, and as far ahead as I could. My balance improved as I went, even though that was not expected. A balanced pack was very important. No sticks as this would impair my ability to balance myself. I wore very sturdy hiking boots which helped with balance as it stabilized my ankles. Thankfully there are lighter weight hikers with ankle support. Staying hydrated-evenly so, not great fluctuations was key. I recommend a holster for a water bottle mounted on your waist in front for continual hydration rather than guzzling at stops. My balance improved significantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.