A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

What is Your Average Walking Distance per Day?

What is your average walking distance per day on the Camino Frances?

• Under 10 kms (Under 6.2 miles)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 10 - 15.9 kms (6.2 to 9.9 miles)

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • 16 - 20.9 kms (9.9 to 13 miles)

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • 21 - 25.9 kms (13 to 16.1 miles)

Votes: 77 40.3%
  • 26 - 30.9 kms (16.2 to 19.2 miles)

Votes: 31 16.2%
  • 31 - 35.9 kms (19.3 to 22.3 miles)

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • 36 - 40.9 kms (22.4 to 25.4 miles)

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 41 - 45.9 kms (25.5 to 28.5 miles)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Over 46 kms (Over 28.6 miles)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
There have been a few new Pilgrims on the forum recently who seem worried about the distance they 'have' to walk each day. Of course the daily distance is a totally personal thing.

So as to make this poll as scientific as possible, this Poll relates to the Camino Frances only and during good weather. i.e. not a Winter Camino.

What would you estimate is your 'average' distance walked per day? I'll kick off. Mine is only 21 kms :oops:

Some like to walk long and some like to walk short......... ;)

Don't include non walking / rest days

Last edited:

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Mine comes out to about 26, which is a surprise, as there have been short days too--because of injury or whatever. Short in my case being anything under 20. Go with the flow and it all averages out, literally and figuratively.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
Not that it matters one bit........ but it will be interesting to see what the 'average' is. I'm betting about 26 kms... ;)

Actually it might be less than that. Just using the Brierley stages the average is 23.7 I thought it would be higher.

Last edited:

Oravasaari

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Fistera (2015), Leon to Fistera (2016), CF, Salvadore, Primitivo (2017), CF run/walk 2018
Mine is over 30km/d on 2 caminos but there were short days (20km or less) a few times due to hot weather, feeling a bit under par or just getting that feeling that a place was the right place to stop even though not "planned" the night before. Sometimes I am surprised how far I've walked before noon and other times I say to myself " Only 12km? That felt like 20km!". The beauty of the Frances is you can set off every day without a plan and simply stop when you want to.

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Way (Porto - Santiago - Finisterre) June/July 2015
Portuguese Way (Lisbon - Santiago - Finisterre) May/June 2017
I've not walked the French so I've refrained from adding my vote to the poll.

But on the Portuguese Coastal I probably averaged about 21km as well. I had just over 3 weeks, so plenty of time to reach Santiago plus it was my honeymoon so I was in no rush to be honest!
It was also my first time doing any long walking since having my feet operated on 18 months previous. So i was really pleased with my daily average.

Slightly different this year mind you and i think that will increase a little when i walk from Lisbon to Santiago along the coast.

Advertisment

Davey Boyd

Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
My average works out at 22km a day. Some longer days (up to 34km), and some short days (down to 15km).

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
I would vary between 20 and 30km per day. 25km would be the sustainable distance, towards 30km and I feel like its too much and I am building up problems for the next days. Average would be about 24kms.

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
Actually it might be less than that. Just using the Brierley stages the average is 23.7 I thought it would be higher.
I thought it was higher than that as well. But I first walked from SJPP to SDC in 32 days, about 25 km/day, so it has to be a little less than 25 km/day if one follows Brierley's 33 day pattern.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
I would vary between 20 and 30km per day. 25km would be the sustainable distance, towards 30km and I feel like its too much and I am building up problems for the next days. Average would be about 24kms.
I can relate to that. A 30+ day would take me a few days to 'get over' by walking shorter days.

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (15 April 2013)
Camino Portuguese (1 May 2014)
Camino Mozárabe from Málaga (8 April 2015)
Camino del Norte & Camino Ingles (April 2016)
Over four different camino routes, including the Frances, I have consistently averaged 27 km per day - by chance rather than design.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
Y'all are too much. This poll makes me really wonder about myself. I have been doing 3-5 mile warm up hikes and that seems to be enough. LOL I hope i can , like some suggest, find my "legs" on the camino. A longggg time ago when I hiked the AT i remember it took me a while to get working/hiking properly,where I was comfortable and not grunting and groaning, but once i fell into a groove it seemed like i was almost riding a walking machine. I loved it. They say on the AT that it takes about 30 days to find your stride. Thank God I have my flights booked 90 days apart so i am in no rush at ALL. I thoroughly intend to enjoy it, not rush it nor avoid all pain if possible. The last has always been one of my goals in life. LOL

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
I have my flights booked 90 days apart so i am in no rush at ALL.
As a minor side track, if you from outside the Schengen zone I hope that those 90 days include the first and last day, both of which get included in the Schengen 90 in 180 days rule calculation. The day you arrive is day 1, and you have to leave by day 90 to comply with the rule.

Camino(s) past & future
Leon to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2015
Camino Ingles & Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia Sept/Oct 2016
. Mine is only 21 kms :oops:
There is no "only" required in that sentence! Whatever your average is - as long as its the right average for a comfortable and enjoyable camino for you, then what's the difference?

Mine also comes out around the same. Depending on albergues I'd usually find my range somewhere between 15-18 up to around 25-27 at a push. Personally, my range is also limited by my mindset, as I find on those stages where people can do longer distances, usually long flat days, I get bored and my mind wanders back to my aching feet, whereas plenty of climbing distracts me and means I don't really tend to go any faster on the flat days.

Chuck - are you starting from SJPP or further out? I've always (or at least, in the two or three years since I became a camino convert) wanted to go from Le Puy...but work is yet to agree for paid leave for several months off!

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
There is no "only" required in that sentence! Whatever your average is - as long as its the right average for a comfortable and enjoyable camino for you, then what's the difference?

Mine also comes out around the same. Depending on albergues I'd usually find my range somewhere between 15-18 up to around 25-27 at a push. Personally, my range is also limited by my mindset, as I find on those stages where people can do longer distances, usually long flat days, I get bored and my mind wanders back to my aching feet, whereas plenty of climbing distracts me and means I don't really tend to go any faster on the flat days.

Chuck - are you starting from SJPP or further out? I've always (or at least, in the two or three years since I became a camino convert) wanted to go from Le Puy...but work is yet to agree for paid leave for several months off!
Yes, I am starting from Le Puy. Too bad you weren't hiking this year.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
As a minor side track, if you from outside the Schengen zone I hope that those 90 days include the first and last day, both of which get included in the Schengen 90 in 180 days rule calculation. The day you arrive is day 1, and you have to leave by day 90 to comply with the rule.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
This will probably not matter but...What happens if you overstay your visa? Are they pretty ironclad on that rule? Would they probably catch you when you go thru customs coming back?

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x3), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham.
2018? CF, again :-)
Mine comes out to about 26, which is a surprise, as there have been short days too--because of injury or whatever. Short in my case being anything under 20. Go with the flow and it all averages out, literally and figuratively.
Same, which surprised me too! :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
This will probably not matter but...What happens if you overstay your visa? Are they pretty ironclad on that rule? Would they probably catch you when you go thru customs coming back?
http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/overstaying_schengen_visa.htm
Not mentioned on the page linked to above is that you get pulled aside to have a long talk with the authorities. They may let you go with a warning but possibly only after you have missed your flight and you have to buy a new ticket (and good luck getting travel insurance to pay for it.)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Several alone and with children
Hey Chuck, I am not recommending you do it or take action on my experience. I was not aware of the 90 day rule and was asked about it while in Iceland about to get on our leg to head to the States. We had been gone almost four months. I had five of my children with me as we had done Le Puy , Norte and then to the coast (the rest of the time we cruised around in a rental pre camino and post). They were VERY nice to me and asked if I had planned to return to Europe in the next three months. When I said, "no" she said to just remember the rule the next time.
It appears I would have been kept from going back within three months.
My two oldest, if all goes as planned, will be on the AT in exactly two years!!!!! The rest of us are wondering if we could do it and drooling to join them...

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
Hey Chuck, I am not recommending you do it or take action on my experience. I was not aware of the 90 day rule and was asked about it while in Iceland about to get on our leg to head to the States. We had been gone almost four months. I had five of my children with me as we had done Le Puy , Norte and then to the coast (the rest of the time we cruised around in a rental pre camino and post). They were VERY nice to me and asked if I had planned to return to Europe in the next three months. When I said, "no" she said to just remember the rule the next time.
My two oldest, if all goes as planned, will be on the AT in exactly two years!!!!! The rest of us are wondering if we could do it and drooling to join them...
Oh man, the AT is soooooo... awesome... bunches of "trail angels" making up surprise picnics for the hikers along the way...unbreakable friendships and bonds formed... hikers not hesitating to help hikers..the AT is tough... real tough .. but ten year olds and 70 year olds have sucessfully hiked. I DO hope you can experience it. It is America at it's best. As to your above post... i really don't think they'll do much.... butttt i doubt as if i will overstay anyway. Just wondering.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/overstaying_schengen_visa.htm
Not mentioned on the page linked to above is that you get pulled aside to have a long talk with the authorities. They may let you go with a warning but possibly only after you have missed your flight and you have to buy a new ticket (and good luck getting travel insurance to pay for it.)
I just read the link and it looks like they can get a little grim with you for an overstay. Fines, banishment, etc. but no spanking. So i guess I'll have to be out on time.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
5 children on the Le Puy! Amazing, how did you like it?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I was not aware of the 90 day rule and was asked about it while in Iceland about to get on our leg to head to the States. We had been gone almost four months. ... They were VERY nice to me and asked if I had planned to return to Europe in the next three months. When I said, "no" she said to just remember the rule the next time.
I just read the link and it looks like they can get a little grim with you for an overstay. Fines, banishment, etc. but no spanking. So i guess I'll have to be out on time.
I don't want to scare anyone but I do want you to be wary. Remember that more and more is being done with computerized databases and chips in passports get scanned and logged. It is getting easier to track overstays and country X can look at the data and see that country Y is being too lenient at letting people out without fines and apply political pressure so it doesn't happen again. Country X might not like the idea that someone could possibly have spent 4 months inside it but leaves the Schengen zone scot free after just one day in country Y.

@shefollowsshells, before going back to the Schengen zone again, especially with the family, you should check whether there will be a problem. You may already have been tagged as overstayers and you don't want to be refused entry after spending your money and time flying to Europe. Check with an embassy or consulate as they will have access to a database. I don't think the airlines have the same access.

Edit: @shefollowsshells, I just noticed below your avatar that you were let back in a few months later. I leave the comment above though so others can take warning.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
I don't want to scare anyone but I do want you to be wary. Remember that more and more is being done with computerized databases and chips in passports get scanned and logged. It is getting easier to track overstays and country X can look at the data and see that country Y is being too lenient at letting people out without fines and apply political pressure so it doesn't happen again. Country X might not like the idea that someone could possibly have spent 4 months inside it but leaves the Schengen zone scot free after just one day in country Y.

@shefollowsshells, before going back to the Schengen zone again, especially with the family, you should check whether there will be a problem. You may already have been tagged as overstayers and you don't want to be refused entry after spending your money and time flying to Europe. Check with an embassy or consulate as they will have access to a database. I don't think the airlines have the same access.

Edit: @shefollowsshells, I just noticed below your avatar that you were let back in a few months later. I leave the comment above though so others can take warning.
I think yo umay have misread something but I haven't even gotten to europe yet. But i do appreciate the sound advice. I doubt as i will be breaking any rules. Seriously, thank you.

I think that the AT is harder than the Camino - I am not surprised to hear that it takes a month to find one's stride on the AT - you have lots of gear, you have to camp out, etc. On the Camino, the vast majority of people carry less than 20lbs and sleep in a regular bed every night. You also stop in cafes along the way and there is a beer (or wine) waiting for you at the end of every day if you want it. That makes things a lot easier to get used to.

Camino(s) past & future
Comino Frances (2017)
We are from Aus and will probably take longer than most to do the Frances (we are travelling before hand in Germany). The Spanish consulate has advised that we can apply to a local police station to extend our stay beyond the normal 90/180 day thing but can't guarantee that this will be granted and the extra time can only be spent in Spain. This should work for us.....

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
Soun
We are from Aus and will probably take longer than most to do the Frances (we are travelling before hand in Germany). The Spanish consulate has advised that we can apply to a local police station to extend our stay beyond the normal 90/180 day thing but can't guarantee that this will be granted and the extra time can only be spent in Spain. This should work for us.....
Sounds very good. Thanks man

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
I think that the AT is harder than the Camino - I am not surprised to hear that it takes a month to find one's stride on the AT - you have lots of gear, you have to camp out, etc. On the Camino, the vast majority of people carry less than 20lbs and sleep in a regular bed every night. You also stop in cafes along the way and there is a beer (or wine) waiting for you at the end of every day if you want it. That makes things a lot easier to get used to.
Not to mention carry and cook your own food, additional 8-10 lbs. Hike and sleep out in all kinds of weather. My first AT hike in '93 I and several others were caught in a almost total white out blizzard in the Smokey Mountains for 5 days. We had to hike out anyway... were running out of food.. we would stay at a blaze and send one guy out to find the next blaze...all walk there and then send the point man out again,,, we made it out in pretty good shape but no one in our group could tell you what the Smokeys looked like.

Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017
Not to mention carry and cook your own food, additional 8-10 lbs. Hike and sleep out in all kinds of weather. My first AT hike in '93 I and several others were caught in a almost total white out blizzard in the Smokey Mountains for 5 days. We had to hike out anyway... were running out of food.. we would stay at a blaze and send one guy out to find the next blaze...all walk there and then send the point man out again,,, we made it out in pretty good shape but no one in our group could tell you what the Smokeys looked like.
I'm impressed. I'll tell our scouts this story. (I'm an asst. Scout Master.)

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
(Off topic on this thread, so I'm copying the below also on a thread that was happening awhile ago about this...please reply there rather than here,)
Yup. Don't do it.
Yes, spanking: I am told (but don't know form experience) they put a nasty stamp in your passport so that you won't be allowed in next time. And as Rick says, computers are connected so they'll know in Iceland (or wherever) what happened in Spain and vice versa.
Did I say? Don't do it.
The Spanish consulate has advised that we can apply to a local police station to extend our stay beyond the normal 90/180 day thing but can't guarantee that this will be granted and the extra time can only be spent in Spain.
I had not heard of this. Anyone??

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
(Off topic on this thread, so I'm copying the below also on a thread that was happening awhile ago about this...please reply there rather than here,)

Yup. Don't do it.

Yes, spanking: I am told (but don't know form experience) they put a nasty stamp in your passport so that you won't be allowed in next time. And as Rick says, computers are connected so they'll know in Iceland (or wherever) what happened in Spain and vice versa.
Did I say? Don't do it.

I had not heard of this. Anyone??
Yeah, the guy that just posted it.

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April, 15, 2017
According to the following you have to have a damn good reason to get a visa extension beyond 90 days:
Schengen Visa Code Article 33 - Extension
1. The period of validity and/or the duration of stay of an issued visa shall be extended where the competent authority of a Member State considers that a visa holder has provided proof of force majeure or humanitarian reasons preventing him from leaving the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the period of validity of or the duration of stay authorised by the visa. Such an extension shall be granted free of charge.
2. The period of validity and/or the duration of stay of an issued visa may be extended if the visa holder provides proof of serious personal reasons justifying the extension of the period of validity or the duration of stay. A fee of EUR 30 shall be charged for such an extension.

There is more to this article but figured this should suffice.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
The poll results are starting to look like a standard distribution curve....

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Y'all are too much. This poll makes me really wonder about myself. I have been doing 3-5 mile warm up hikes and that seems to be enough. LOL I hope i can , like some suggest, find my "legs" on the camino. A longggg time ago when I hiked the AT i remember it took me a while to get working/hiking properly,where I was comfortable and not grunting and groaning, but once i fell into a groove it seemed like i was almost riding a walking machine. I loved it. They say on the AT that it takes about 30 days to find your stride. Thank God I have my flights booked 90 days apart so i am in no rush at ALL. I thoroughly intend to enjoy it, not rush it nor avoid all pain if possible. The last has always been one of my goals in life. LOL
I was amazed how I myself got into a fair rythm within a mere 3 day period. I am a standard walker and walk to work, nightshifting with days interval. I walked 25 K a day.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Off the topic of the thread. Some of the Schengen countries have treaties with non-Schengen countries that allow them additional time inside. I know NZ has many treaties of this sort and Australia has some. The US has special visa treaties with Poland and Denmark.

Extensions might be gotten in special circumstances like extraordinary family circumstances or perhaps to get your boat fixed or an order to not leave town until your court case has been heard.

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
For the answer, I assumed a clear, dry but overcast day, of about 60 degrees (F) or about 15 C. I further assumed more or less rolling or level grades, with no head wind. In other words, perfect walking conditions.

If you add, wind, rain or snow, the distances will decline. Include mud, and the distances drop further.

Similarly, I walk much slower in hot, sunny or humid conditions than in cooler or cloudy conditions to avoid dehydration. Also, I take more breaks to cool off.

So, the "correct" answer is "it very much depends..."

My hourly walking speed is from 3 kph to 5 kph, depending on weather and terrain. Using a 6-hour walking day, exclusive of break times, this works to a range of 18 to about 30 kilometers.

As the adverts for autos say, your mileage may vary...

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
2003 , my first real Camino - 25km per day + excursions - every Camino after that 5km - 18km max per day ............ soo much better - sometimes even carrying a tent.

Magnara

Maggie Ramsay
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago de Compostela (2005) Via Francigena (2010) Le Puy to St Jean (2014)
There have been a few new Pilgrims on the forum recently who seem worried about the distance they 'have' to walk each day. Of course the daily distance is a totally personal thing.

So as to make this poll as scientific as possible, this Poll relates to the Camino Frances only and during good weather. i.e. not a Winter Camino.

What would you estimate is your 'average' distance walked per day? I'll kick off. Mine is only 21 kms :oops:

Our shorter walking days (15 - 20 km per day) have paid off for us during three caminos and (like the turtle and the hare) we often see pilgrims with injuries who have tried to go faster and further each day than is right for their body , so they are laid up to recover, or worse, are having to abandon their camino altogether. But as the saying goes, it's horses for courses, and some pilgrims seem to happily cover amazing distances day after day with no ill effects.

Gromit

Camino(s) past & future
Did Camino Frances from August to October 2017
Hi Chuck- my husband and I are starting out on Camino Francis from St Jean on 27 August. I am doing it for my 70th birthday. We are fit (for our age) but are planning to average 18 kms per day. Our biggest day will be 27 km. We want to have time to get into the history and the culture and explore the villages. We intend to walk 43 days and have 8 rest days. You will be fine. Just keep walking but don't overdo the training. Our training strategy is to do 2 or 3 walks a week and increase the length by 1 km per walk per week. We started at 5 km per walk and we are now up to 20 km per walk. Good luck.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Muxia-Fisterra, March/April 2017
Portuguese, March 2018, ( Lituano 2019, VdlP 2020)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Muxia-Fisterra, March/April 2017
Portuguese, March 2018, ( Lituano 2019, VdlP 2020)
I completed two weeks ago, and I planned for 24 Kms (15 miles per day) based on the Brierley stages, but in the end I did 30 kms per day, and fitted in SDC - Muxia - Fisterra in the time I had originally allocated for CF. So, I covered 1000 kms in 33 days. On my return home, my wife asked me why I had rushed it, but honestly, I never felt that I was rushing it. I was just enjoying the experience SO MUCH that I couldn't stop, and I took no break days, as I didn't want them. I made loads of new friends, saw all the high points and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful panoramas, and never felt that I had skimped anything. A truly wonderful experience that I will cherish forever. CP next year!!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
I completed two weeks ago, and I planned for 24 Kms (15 miles per day) based on the Brierley stages, but in the end I did 30 kms per day, and fitted in SDC - Muxia - Fisterra in the time I had originally allocated for CF. So, I covered 1000 kms in 33 days. On my return home, my wife asked me why I had rushed it, but honestly, I never felt that I was rushing it. I was just enjoying the experience SO MUCH that I couldn't stop, and I took no break days, as I didn't want them. I made loads of new friends, saw all the high points and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful panoramas, and never felt that I had skimped anything. A truly wonderful experience that I will cherish forever. CP next year!!
Sounds like you had a great time. I 'needed' rest days, but hated taking them. I would pace around the place looking longingly at yellow arrows......... :oops:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Frances (2017)
I find Naismith's rule helps as a general guide to calculate the next days goal. 'On relatively flat terrain, hiker being of reasonable fitness, and under normal conditions. Allow 1 hour for every 3 mi (5 km) forward, plus 1 hour for every 2000 ft (600 m) of ascent. This of course does not take into account sightseeing or extended rest stops etc. I take plenty of these and so my average on the camino is about 25 kms per day. That being said, one of the most important lessons in hiking is to learn to walk at your own pace.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
Sounds like you had a great time. I 'needed' rest days, but hated taking them. I would pace around the place looking longingly at yellow arrows......... :oops:
I took one rest day last year, and don't plan to take any this year. I may just walk a couple of short days in a row if I feel like I need a rest.

Hermes

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Frances (2016)
I'm following Brierley's route (from afar right now) for the Camino Portuguese and he's clicked off 30+km every day for the first seven days. Day eight is 29. :confused:. I've had to come up with my own route and am two days behind his already. Not a problem, but with less places to stay coming out of Lisbon..long walks seem to be the nature of things.

I walked the Frances in July of 2016 and averaged around 20km per day. That was perfect. We will see how it goes!

hel&scott

Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
As said above, the distance average per day is relative to the person walking. Your age, fitness level, pack size will play apart in what you can do. Likewise the route taken, weather, terrain, distance between accomodation also come into play. Time is often a major driver, how much time off work / on the road can you afford.

But perhaps the biggest factor is your motivation, do you want to stroll along smell the flowers and drink wine with fellow travelers then a short spell on the CF doing 10 to 15kms is probably lovely. But if you want to test your limits and revel in splendid isolation then slogging out over 30kms a day on the Levante or VdlP is another's idea of a good time.

Hermes

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Frances (2016)
I think another factor is whether or not it is your very first Camino. Second and so on gives you a better sense of pack weight, what you need, your desires, etc. First one out is another story.

Camino(s) past & future
"May 2014" & "May 2015"
Hi, I never train by walking before my 3 Camino’s as I get my legs once I start. The first weeks are shorter and slower until I get strong. I just completed Paris to Santiago in 71 days which is an average of just over 31kms per day according to the Camino office. My calculation was 26.5kms per day which was about right. I started out walking around 20 per day & ended walking 40’s. Whatever you do, enjoy, it’s not s race unless your time poor.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I'm following Brierley's route (from afar right now) for the Camino Portuguese and he's clicked off 30+km every day for the first seven days. Day eight is 29. :confused:. I've had to come up with my own route and am two days behind his already.
Brierley's approach of dividing routes into daily stages can cause problems. I have met a number of people who were walking the Caminos as their first experience of long-distance walking. With little prior knowledge of their own walking style and ability to base their decisions upon they have assumed - quite reasonably - that as the most popular English-language guide Brierley's stages must be the norm and quite practical. Often people commit themselves to the Brierley stages in advance by pre-booking accommodation along the way and booking their transport home accordingly with little room for flexibility. If they then find it impossible to keep up with Brierley's daily pattern they are forced to choose from unpalatable options: either skip sections of the route or slow down, walk only part of the way and then return another time to complete their journey. The latter may not be practical for those for whom limited leisure time, cost and distance make walking the Caminos a rare luxury. I happen to be amongst those who enjoy walking long daily stages and have no problem in keeping up with - or more often exceeding - his daily prescribed distances. Many first-time walkers do not find this so easy. I feel that for what has become effectively the default stage pattern on some Caminos Brierley's stages are too ambitious.

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
-true, and in times of utter trail-constipation, you might want to walk out of sync with the stage suggestion in Brierleys and thus avoid being in need of a bed in the popular stops...

Camino(s) past & future
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
We found our sweet distance to be an easy 25 km a day that was the comfortable walk for us, some days were less or more but doable. Everyone will find their own sweet spot and go from there

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances Sept/Oct 2018
I am glad to see that someone else is okay with lower mileage. Starting first Camino on 9/1 at age 75. I am worried as today walked 7 miles and had pain in one foot. Not new. Since our accommodations are booked will have to do a combination of walking and transport until walking gets built up.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 163 25.5%