• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rethinking my CF-ish route after Burgos (and I start in 7 days!)

Rhys

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March 2024
I land in Madrid on Saturday 16 March, and have until about 25 April to be in Spain. Reaching SdC is not an important goal on this trip; exploring Spain slowly, and spending time walking and thinking -- "walking meditation" --are.

My current plan is to start in Pamplona on Monday 18 March (bus or train from Madrid)-- reluctantly giving the SJPdP-Pamplona section a miss.* Walk to Burgos, taking a couple more days than "Brierly's stages" suggest and thus being off stage. This lands me in Burgos at Easter weekend, when reserving accommodation is proving challenging.

From Burgos .... I am having a hard time talking myself into slogging across the Meseta. So perhaps fromBurgos transit north and pick up another Camino? I'm a solo newbie, so it would need decent infrastructure. Or fromBurgos take transport across to Leon and walk from there to SDC (taking longer than Brierly's 12 days), and possibly on to Muxia? That puts me on the "most popular" section of the CF approximately April 2-16.

Thoughts? I really don't need to make a decision until I reach Burgos (assuming I stick to my current plan).

Many thanks.

-------------------------------
*my utterly madcap idea was to take a bus from Pamplona to Bayonne to SJPdP (there is no bus service between SJPdP and Roncesvalles yet) , spend a night in SJPdP, explore and drink in the vibe the next morning then Express Bouricout to Roncesvalles, walk that afternoon to Burguete or Espinal, then bus next morning to Pamplona/Cizur Menor to begin the long walk. It seemed like such a good idea at 2:00am....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I land in Madrid on Saturday 16 March, and have until about 25 April to be in Spain. Reaching SdC is not an important goal on this trip; exploring Spain slowly, and spending time walking and thinking -- "walking meditation" --are.

My current plan is to start in Pamplona on Monday 18 March (bus or train from Madrid)-- reluctantly giving the SJPdP-Pamplona section a miss.* Walk to Burgos, taking a couple more days than "Brierly's stages" suggest and thus being off stage. This lands me in Burgos at Easter weekend, when reserving accommodation is proving challenging.

From Burgos .... I am having a hard time talking myself into slogging across the Meseta. So perhaps fromBurgos transit north and pick up another Camino? I'm a solo newbie, so it would need decent infrastructure. Or fromBurgos take transport across to Leon and walk from there to SDC (taking longer than Brierly's 12 days), and possibly on to Muxia? That puts me on the "most popular" section of the CF approximately April 2-16.

Thoughts? I really don't need to make a decision until I reach Burgos (assuming I stick to my current plan).

Many thanks.

*my utterly madcap idea was to take a bus from Pamplona to Bayonne to SJPdP (there is no bus service between SJPdP and Roncesvalles yet) , spend a night in SJPdP, explore and drink in the vibe the next morning then Express Bouricout to Roncesvalles, walk that afternoon to Burguete or Espinal, then bus next morning to Pamplona/Cizur Menor to begin the long walk. It seemed like such a good idea at 2:00am....
If you want to spend your limited time playing with public transport go for it! Otherwise just walk from wherever you can get to to wherever can get to. There is plenty of non-bookable accommodation in and near Burgos. Take a sleeping bag just in case

There are a number of companies in the Burgos area where you can rent bikes to leave in the León area. That allows you to go through the meseta faster than walking but slower than buses. It also allows you to go under your own power with the ability to slow down to explore sites interesting to you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is a thought
See if you can get a train from Burgos to Sahagun - you can get the 1/2 way certificate there and perhaps continue on your walk from there
Another possibility is to walk Burgos --> Hornillos del Camino --> Castrojeriz--> Fromista and then catch a train or a bus to Leon

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

For those that love the Meseta, why?

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

For those that love the Meseta, why?
To be honest I dont know why it gets such as bad rap. As far as I'm concerned its just part of the walk. I like it just the way I like the rest of the Camino, I cant understand why people would look to skip it.
If I missed a bit, it would be the downhill to Molineseca.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You’ve got 40 days to play with and have no imperative to end up anywhere in particular. Whilst it will be busy during Semana Santa (whether you’re in Burgos or anywhere else) and from Sarria onwards in April, it’ll still be OK. There are ample facilities.

Meseta: wide open views, easy walking. Part of Spain which one might cross as part of a journey. If you’re doing a ‘highlights of the Camino’ holiday, or just on a peripatetic meditation it’s really up to you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Reaching SdC is not an important goal on this trip; exploring Spain slowly, and spending time walking and thinking -- "walking meditation" --are.

In that case, walking the meseta would be a good choice, in my opinion.

Wide open landscape, endless sky, easy walking. Maybe not that much to see in terms of "sightseeing" and no spectacular mountains. But in spring it is very green and there'll be flowers and birds and wonderful sunrises and sunsets and some amazing views. Because of the "plain" landscape and little distraction, it is easy to get into a walking meditation mode, in my experience.

For me, uninterrupted walking works best for a walking meditation. So I'd try to avoid too much skipping and route hopping. But that's a personal preference.

If I had as much time as you have, I'd just start walking in St Jean and see how far I get. The Francés has good infrastructure, and enough other pilgrims for company and support, which is why it is a good choice for many first time pilgrims.

If you realize at some point that it's not working for you, you can still change the route (for example to the invierno) or skip parts.

To avoid accommodation problems during easter, maybe consider staying in a smaller town before or after Burgos (or whichever bigger city you walk through during that time), or have a very short days walking into town and stay at a non-bookable albergue if you want to see the easter celebrations/ processions.

Many public and parroquial albergues are for walk-in pilgrims only. If you arrive early enough you'll get a bed without any problem and can watch the easter celebrations. The albergue municipal in Burgos for example is giant. If you arrive early in the day you'll have a bed there for certain. You could stay in Cardenuela Riopico the night before, arrive in the morning in Burgos, have a nice second breakfast and a walk around the city, and check into the albergue as soon as it opens.

So, in short, my 2 cents would be, don't overcomplicate things, just start walking (at Roncesvalles or St. Jean or Pamplona, whatever feels right to you), don't worry too much. Just put one foot in front of the other and see what happens.

Buen Camino!

Some people rent bikes in order to do the meseta in a day or two, allowing you to experience it but not slog it out, if that's not your preference. Think there are options to rent a bike in Burgos and drop it off in Leon, and continue on foot from there.

But for those who've already mentioned it, the meseta I've found is one of the best parts of the trip, but that may be biased as it comes straight after a week or so of mountainous walking from SJPDP to Burgos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not a bike rider and I would take that into account, too. To me that would much more difficult than walking and perhaps result in finishing at the same speed. The potential for an accident would also increase with me putting myself and walking pilgrims at risk. Keep your own limitations in mind as you decide what to do.

Hmmm. You may have me convinced about the Meseta....on foot, not bike!

"Skipping SJPDP to Panplona is skipping over some of the most beautiful countryside, the best food, and..."

Are you referring to the section SJPdP-R'Valles (legendary!) , or including R'valles-Pamplona section in the above?

Mid-March the Napoleon route it closed; otherwise I would start in SJPdP in a heartbeat if I could get a booking at Orrison or Bourda. If not the Napoleon route (and opting against the Valcarlos route without a booking midway) then starting in R'valles is the obvious option.

Many thanks.

Like others have mentioned, I like walking the Meseta - different yes, but it’s nice that you can trek through differing terrain. Based on your comments, I’d suggest walking out of Pamplona and by the time you reach Burgos you’ll know what’s next.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Reaching SdC is not an important goal on this trip; exploring Spain slowly, and spending time walking and thinking -- "walking meditation" --are.
Listen to TincaTinker’s advice
If you want to spend your limited time playing with public transport go for it! Otherwise just walk from wherever you can get to to wherever can get to. There is plenty of non-bookable accommodation in and near Burgos.
I rarely tell people what they should do but in your case I guess I am haha. You want a slow meditative Camino, correct? Well start now and stop thinking and get ready to walk. All you have on ye Camino is the step you are taking in the moment. So forget about buses and whatever your last comment was about getting to St. Jean and let go. Please, please, please 🙏 and this goes for others, not just you. How do you know the Meseta is a “slog”? Because of what you read or saw on a you tube video? Get ALL those thoughts out of your mind. Just be. You have no idea how you will feel or where your spirit and heart is as you approach the meseta. You have no idea if you will want to stay on Burgos or what day you will arrive. Let the Camino and the step you are taking in the moment guide you. Not your mind or what others have told you. You could be making a huge mistake skipping the Meseta. It may give you what you really need, not what you think you want.

There are a number of companies in the Burgos area where you can rent bikes to leave in the León area. That allows you to go through the meseta faster than walking but slower than buses. It also allows you to go under your own power with the ability to slow down to explore sites interesting to you.
I did this last year (rented an ebike) as my feet were done by Burgos from SJPDP. Cycled Burgos to Leon. Still challenging, make sure the seat is new or newish and, THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT, get a proper fitting pair of bike shorts with padding. I did not and suffered the consequences. My overall experience (after finding bike shorts) was wonderful and the bike did give me time to really enjoy my surroundings and explore a bunch of "off track" items of interest.

Good choice to walk the Meseta. Perfect place for your "walking meditation".

I used your same reasoning to start in R'valles about this time last year. Taking a couple of clear days to walk the Napoleon route could be a rewarding challenge, but otherwise, starting at the bottom of a big hill does not seem very rational.

Many Spaniards know that Roncesvalles is a good start. Just take your time on that last hill going down into Zubiri.

Take your time to enjoy a nice slow walk.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Many thanks.

I walked from SJPdP to Muxia in May last year. The Meseta was one of my favourite parts. Beautiful and quiet. Finishing on the coast in Muxia was also a highlight. For me the Meseta was far nicer than the busy road walking on the trail into and out of Leon. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever path you follow. Enjoy.

€149,-

Many thanks.

You don’t need to skip the entire Meseta — from Burgos walk three days to Fromista and take the train from there to Leon or Astorga. That will give you a sense of the Meseta.

Oh, no! Why do you want to skip the meseta??!!
I found the meseta to be one of my favorite parts of the CF. It is relatively flat and you can see your objective. The sky is especially big there and, for me, I had a special sense of peace and, yet, adventure. I can't really explain it.
Pilgrims tended to not want to travel in noisy groups there, in my experience, but preferred to enjoy a bit of solitude (I traveled solo all my caminos).
I usually walked through there the end of June, when it was hot, but by then I knew my pace and didn't try to do more than was possible for me. I took water but never left at zero-dark-thirty as so many other pilgrims seems to do. I just kept on keeping on and loved it. A hat, sunscreen, resting when needed, not rushing through.
I wouldn't miss it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I loved the meseta, probably because it was completely different than all of the other wonderful sections of what the Frances is all about, which added to its variety and beauty.
I also loved the walk from Acebo down to Molinaseca on the interesting path with its sections of angled blue slate, although some folks find it rather treacherous. Walking it on a dry day in glorious spring sunshine was a plus.

Many thanks.

I'm only here to address arriving in Burgos on Easter weekend. I absolutely love Burgos. Be sure to take the option to walk through the park as you get close to Burgos.
But I think being in Burgos would rob you of the beauty and enjoyment because of the throngs of people being there. Burgos during a holiday or festival would be a hard NO for me.

Many thanks.

If infrastructure and flexibility are important to you, the CF is your route. There is no other Camino that matches the CF for those requirements.

Not sure why you referred to the Meseta as a slog. It is less hilly and everything will be in Springtime bloom.

You also mentioned you are walking solo and are walking more for meditation than to reach Santiago. I find all my walks meditative but do enjoy the Community possibilities in the evenings. On the CF, CN and CP, there is plenty of opportunity for community at night and still have a meditative walk during the day. The other routes not so much.

Hope you find this helpful.

"Skipping SJPDP to Panplona is skipping over some of the most beautiful countryside, the best food, and..."

Are you referring to the section SJPdP-R'Valles (legendary!) , or including R'valles-Pamplona section in the above?

Mid-March the Napoleon route it closed; otherwise I would start in SJPdP in a heartbeat if I could get a booking at Orrison or Bourda. If not the Napoleon route (and opting against the Valcarlos route without a booking midway) then starting in R'valles is the obvious option.

Just my opinion, but I loved the sections after Roncevalles with the frosty mornings over the fields, walking along the creekside. It sort of sets the tone for the walk, you are surrounded by your fellow pilgrims and have the chance to make those first encounters who you will meet again and again on the way, it's also very pastoral so you can clear your head before encountering the cities. The mountain pass was closed when I went too, and though many were didappointed, the general consensus was that the lower route was just as tough and also very beautiful. Nobody I knew felt like they missed out!

I'm only here to address arriving in Burgos on Easter weekend. I absolutely love Burgos. Be sure to take the option to walk through the park as you get close to Burgos.
But I think being in Burgos would rob you of the beauty and enjoyment because of the throngs of people being there. Burgos during a holiday or festival would be a hard NO for me.
It would be a sad day when we all think the same.

Amongst countless other visits I’ve been to Malaga (three times) Sevilla and Madrid specifically to be there in Semana Santa. Immerse yourself in the day-by-day progression of Holy Week (and bear in mind I wouldn’t self-describe as religious), and it’s fascinating. A crowd that size on a wet-Wednesday - if it occurred in the UK - would result in all police leave being cancelled. In Spain, it’s an event for your grandchildren.

Lots of folks have already said it, but I would like to reinforce the idea of walking the Meseta. Your stated goal is to walk and meditate. The Mesata is the best part of the Camino to do that. Everyday is an easy walk and you are free to think about whatever, not where your next step will be. I hope your walk turns out to be everything you hope it will and more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so excited for you - six days! It's worth repeating what many folks have already stated, you will have a much better sense of what you want to do once you are walking, and you may discover the last thing you want to do is be on a bus or train for any portion of the route.

A wonderful part of being on the Camino is that you can listen to your 2:00 a.m. brain and follow-through on those "madcap ideas" as they happen.

We love the meseta. Try not to skip San Bol. We too walked from Pamplona. I would save one day by taking a bus into Burgos instead of walking into it. Too much pavement walking. If the meseta gets too much for you around Mansilla de Las Mulas (who knows could be the heat) you could do one more bus trip from there. Buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Echoing other comments on here....don't skip the Meseta, especially this time of year. I've walked it both fall and spring, each season holds its own mystical beauty, however last April I was struck by the greenwashed palette, dotted with red poppies and cherry blossoms.

And the entire CF has plenty of infrastructure. You'll be fine.

Many thanks.

You have plenty of time to walk the whole thing. I would never recommend anyone skip the Meseta or bus/taxi any of it....or any part of the Camino for that matter. Most of the busigrinos complaining about the Meseta never walked it.🤣

Depending on what time you land in Madrid, you could fly to Pamplona (1 hour flight), and taxi straight from the airport to SJPP. I have done this 3x and shared the taxi with other Peregrinos. Good chance the Napoleon route will be very windy/snowy/etc, so you could hang in SJPP until noon the next day and just walk to Roncessvalles via Valcarlos in 6 hours. Mostly all downhill to Pamplona from there.

Walk the whole way at your leisure. You said reaching Santiago is not an important goal.

If you want to spend your limited time playing with public transport go for it! Otherwise just walk from wherever you can get to to wherever can get to. There is plenty of non-bookable accommodation in and near Burgos. Take a sleeping bag just in case
Fully agree,why spend time catching transport when you can spend that time walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Many thanks.

I also love the meseta. It is the best part for meditative walking for me. I will be doing an abbreviated 5th camino starting April 5 from Pamplona, but the meseta will is a must for me and will fit in what I can.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
exploring Spain slowly, and spending time walking and thinking -- "walking meditation"
In that case, be sure to include the meseta (all of it).

opting against the Valcarlos route without a booking midway
Just to clarify, there is accommodation midway if you want it.

I strongly disagree. Semana Santa in a Spanish city is a special experience and, I think, worthy of being followed by the meditative walking of the meseta. But be sure to figure out accommodation in advance.

Many thanks.

I am not sure why you think you would need to "slog" across the Meseta. As with every other part of the Camino you just continue to put one foot in front of the other, not even rough mountains to "slog" up. Plenty of time for meditation & contemplation. Beautiful wide horizons encouraging to mind & heart to freely open expand. Magnificent sunrises & sunsets. Find out for yourself what the unique experience is like for you, while you are so close. Just my suggestion.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We were lucky to happen upon Semana Santa festivities in Burgos, purely by chance. There was certainly no careful planning! Semana Santa processions are events not to be missed.

There was no problem finding beds in the pilgrim hostel. I don't think the pilgrim hostel in Burgos takes reservations. Their 150 beds, on 3 floors, are at the back of the building so it should be fairly quiet.

Enjoy the Meseta's gently rolling hills and open panorama.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have been over the Napoleon route in both directions and I love it - But This year it is time, to again do the Valcarlos route out of SJPP. It has its own charm and a night in Valcarlos is delightful and a gentle way to start a camino. Ps - I would not want to miss the Meseta, It is not boring, especially in spring the body is up to walking speed and it is easy to cover good ground. The head has been cleared of all the busy stuff from home and is open for new emotions - i always cry happy tears on the Meseta.

Reasons not to miss the Meseta: Hontanas, Castrojeriz, Carrion de Los Condes, and Sahagún. Also, Boadilla del Camino, Fromista, Ledigos and Mansilla de Las Mules. Also, the many other charming small villages and hamlets in between, including Moratinos (hello Rebecca),

Last edited:
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. You are right — I shouldn’t pass on the Meseta based on reports from people who walk it in August ….

I am concerned about being in Burgos at Easter as crowds are not my cup of tea. Perhaps bussing around Burgos and someday visiting it on another trip.

I am also trying to compile a list of cities to possibly bus around / into rather than have long kms of pavement walking. I am sure this will all make more sense after I arrive in Pamplona on Saturday.

(I am just sort of winging it in the dark based on web reading, having in fact never spoken with anyone who has walked the Camino …. An adventure!)

Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will just say that, for many, the meseta is one of the best sections of the Camino Frances for just "walking and thinking".

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. You are right — I shouldn’t pass on the Meseta based on reports from people who walk it in August ….

I am concerned about being in Burgos at Easter as crowds are not my cup of tea. Perhaps bussing around Burgos and someday visiting it on another trip.

I am also trying to compile a list of cities to possibly bus around / into rather than have long kms of pavement walking. I am sure this will all make more sense after I arrive in Pamplona on Saturday.

(I am just sort of winging it in the dark based on web reading, having in fact never spoken with anyone who has walked the Camino …. An adventure!)

Thank you!
Hi @Rhys there is a river walk into Burgos or there is a way that is through industry. I recommend the river pathway.

Thank you!
When planning I sometimes had the same thoughts you are describing. Once I started my camino I met lovely people and really wanted to stay "connected" so I ended up walking a couple places I had not originally planned and if I had not been for mi amigas I likely would have tried to avoid. These days and nights ended up being wonderful. I highly recommend that you "go with the flow" and make route decisions as they naturally come about. You might end up walking in areas that are not ideal but what the hay - you are on the camino!

I agree with others about the meseta - it was awesome. Why? Oh my! The moon & stars early in the morning were unbelievable... and quiet, wide open spaces. I am looking forward to walking it again this April.

Buen Camino! You will soon experience the magic. Please let us know how you are doing. We LOVE to hear from folks LIVE on the camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I found part of the satisfaction of walking the CF is walking the whole way. I met a wonderful Canadian couple who offered for me to share a taxi as it was pouring rain. I declined as i walk the whole way.

Many thanks.

The Meseta was my favorite part.

Many thanks.

The Meseta was one of my favorite parts. I think if it were August it would be different, but in the spring it should be very nice.

Many thanks.

Walking meditation? The Meseta is your answer.

Maybe the distinction isn't to include or avoid this section or that, but whether or not one gets out of one's head and lets the conversation be between Camino and feet. If our minds are full of debate about the route, how much space is there for anything else? Advice from a hospitalero in 2018: "Just keep going."

As a self-professed "solo newbie", referring to the magical Meseta as a "slog", it means you heard that from someone else. On my first Camino, I ran into several people who planned to skip it because they HEARD it was boring. Likely from others who had never done it themselves because they too, were relying on something they had heard... Anyway, they all heard wrong.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Many thanks.

I’m sure lots will share their fondness of the Meseta - while I agree I loved that rolling meditative section I understand personal preferences/differeces regarding geography. My only comment is on your ‘end stage’ - Muxia - I fell in love with that ending and prefer it to Finesterre (though in 1 long or 2 comfortable days between them you can reach both). Buen Camino!!!

Yes, the meseta is one of my favorite parts. It's not just flatness. Lots of rolling hills, green in the spring. And one of the steepest parts of the whole Camino is the walk out of Castrojerez with incredible views at the top. Wonderful wonderful villages along the way.

Oops, I need to correct something I wrote earlier. I said "If you do decide to do the Meseta, you'll have a choice of which way to go after leaving Burgos. The path that goes through Villar de Mazarife is a little longer but much more pleasant." But that should be LEON, not Burgos. And that is just after the Meseta ends.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gosh, this is excellent! Thank you!
Dear Rhys, look what you started ! lol
I also loved the meseta. It was in Sept (and hot) but I would never skip it… especially in spring. I hear there are many wildflowers but I haven’t experienced it myself. And I’d never skip Burgos. You don’t have to stay in the center if you want to skip the crowds.

When I walked the CF, I met many who used the bus and taxis to skip ahead and, in my opinion, they simply worked themselves up (angst) and created more work for themselves to get around what others perceived as difficult (aka “a slog”). Hearsay. I walked from Pamplona to Muxia without using a bus or taxi, and I did have difficult days — but I’m so glad they are part of my memories of the Camino.

If you are walking your days slowly and not part of the ‘race,’ I think you’ll find every day on the CF is a blessing. But, why not start where YOU want and judge for yourself? And don’t overthink it before you get there. ;)

Only you know what’s best for you.

If a walking meditation is what you seek - & you do have plenty of time - why not set off centred in a profound sense of trust and allow your inner knowing to guide you day by day in the direction the Camino reveals.

You may find Burgos provides an unreserved albergue bed & the magnificent Meseta will be one of the most divinely wonderful slogs of your entire life, as it was for me same time last year.

For me, the sublime Camino experience was about Love, Devotion & Surrender, and I feel this requires a deep let-go that too much “careful planning” may obstruct (whilst never forgetting to “tether one’s camel”, as our Sufi friends remind us).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Many thanks.

Don't miss the Mesata ,I absolutely loved it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Many thanks.

Hi there, maybe wait until you get there.
The meseta is lovely not necessarily a slog unless you make it so.
Some of you preconceived notions are from others, I suggest you have your own Camino and make your decisions in situ.
Have a great Camino
We love the meseta. Try not to skip San Bol. We too walked from Pamplona. I would save one day by taking a bus into Burgos instead of walking into it. Too much pavement walking. If the meseta gets too much for you around Mansilla de Las Mulas (who knows could be the heat) you could do one more bus trip from there. Buen camino!
Is there a weekend bus into Burgos from Villafria, I couldn't get bus timetable on google. Not doing that pavement walk!

Is there a weekend bus into Burgos from Villafria, I couldn't get bus timetable on google. Not doing that pavement walk!

There is a lovely alternative way into Burgos, along a river and through the park. No need to skip.

There's a description of it that you can download in the forum's ressources section.

Very likely it runs on weekends too. There are a few hotels down in the area where the camino finishes circling the airport and joins the pavement walk. The Hotel Buenos Aires is the first. They have a coffee shop on the street right next to a bus stop to take into Burgos. Google Maps Street View shows the stop but the public transportation view does not. We stayed at Buenos Aires for two nights in 2015 taking the Burgos bus back and forth (and then circling back on the airport road to take the river walk). The bus route finishes close to the hotel so shortly after you see the bus on the other side of the road you will be able to board it at the hotel.

Maybe the hotel can give you the schedule that the bus company can't.
Screenshot_20240317-081102.png

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Skipping SJPDP to Panplona is skipping over some of the most beautiful countryside, the best food, and the community spirit of starting out as a group. The section coming into Burgos would be a much better stretch to bus over. The messeta that time of year is lovely! It's not a slog in spring :)
A lovely entrance to Burgos, shows as the alernative in most books. Turn left as you cross the highway and are nearing the airport properties. The route will take you along a small river, parks, forested area all the way to a pedestrian bridge and turn right into the Gated entrance of Burgos, very close to the Cathedral. Beautiful relaxing walk!!!!

A lovely entrance to Burgos, shows as the alernative in most books. Turn left as you cross the highway and are nearing the airport properties. The route will take you along a small river, parks, forested area all the way to a pedestrian bridge and turn right into the Gated entrance of Burgos, very close to the Cathedral. Beautiful relaxing walk!!!!
Wouldn't it be nice if there were a similar river walk into Leon!

Many thanks.

I left Burgos on 29 March 2022 for Hornillos and then on to Castrojerriz, Fromitsa, Carrion, Ledigos then caught the train from Sahagun to Leon. I had decent accommodation all through and did find the maseta a bit of a drag as it was pretty flat going most of the way (possibly my army background left me with a fondness for hills) . Baggage transfer is convenient and cost 4 - 5 euro a day. I caught the train from Sahagun as I did not fancy walking through the urban sprawl of Leon for a day.

The auberge / casa at Castrojerriz called A Cienleguas was great. The auberge is nice and they do also have private rooms.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To be honest I dont know why it gets such as bad rap. As far as I'm concerned its just part of the walk. I like it just the way I like the rest of the Camino, I cant understand why people would look to skip it.
If I missed a bit, it would be the downhill to Molineseca.
I walked from Foncebadon to Molinaseca on 08 April 2022. The terrain is rugged but satisfying in a strange way. Definitely use walking poles as the footing is a bit dodgy on the way down.

I walked from Foncebadon to Molinaseca on 08 April 2022. The terrain is rugged but satisfying in a strange way. Definitely use walking poles as the footing is a bit dodgy on the way down.
That section is probably my very favorite on the whole Frances. I walked it in early May and the yellow broom, and pink and lavender heather were all so gorgeous and profuse like a special garden fairy tale.
Screenshot_20240320-142339~2.png

Last edited:
That lovely scenic bit with the decent track was fine, it was this bit I didn't like - the track after Riego de Ambros. Too busy watching my footing and trying not to faceplant, I didn't even notice the scenery. Now I take the road. But if it was raining I would consider a taxi from Riego de Ambros to Molineseca.

Attachments

• 20170610_073718.jpg
    20170610_073718.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Anamiri and @CWBuff, I totally enjoyed that unique bluestone path. I'm not saying it was easy, but I navigated it fine as downhills are my favorite, and underfoot, this path was natural and beautiful imo. It just goes to show that we are indeed all different. I wouldn't have wanted to miss it!
I'm noticing here and recalling that my stubborn boys didn't bring or want hiking poles, yet never complained.
Screenshot_20240320-221133~2.pngScreenshot_20240320-220659~2.png
Screenshot_20240320-220731~2.png

Last edited:
That lovely scenic bit with the decent track was fine, it was this bit I didn't like - the track after Riego de Ambros. Too busy watching my footing and trying not to faceplant, I didn't even notice the scenery. Now I take the road. But if it was raining I would consider a taxi from Riego de Ambros to Molineseca.
Try setting out from Riego de Ambros in the pre-dawn as we did in early August 2016, walking early in the dark to avoid the hot sun of the afternoon later in our walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back