• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Average daily expenses?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
I'm planning on being on the camino for about 50-55 days. I'm having a hard time trying to estimate the daily expenses and cash on hand needed as things have changed in price since the pandemic. I was hoping for a budget of 3000$ CAD (2000 euro) to suffice.
Can anyone share their average expenses?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I felt that prices had risen around 25-50% between my CF in 2019 and 2022. While in 2019, i felt that 35€ a day made for quite the good living, in 2022 i felt i spent more around 50 a day. However, i would not rule out that part of this was due to a change in personal priorities. As a rule of thumb, i'd say you'll be fine with something in the range of 30-50 a day.
(However, thats last year numbers...)

Do you enjoy a la carte meals? Are you staying in private accommodation? If so, I usually factor about 150 Euros a day, which I've found to be enough on average as most places are very cheap at around 40-60 Euros and a good meal (not just a pilgrim menu) costs around 30-50 Euros when bored of the standard menu del dia / peregrino). The surplus goes towards higher end accommodation in the cities and of course a week in the Parador in SdC. My last 68 day Camino came to just over 10,000 Euros, which was an amazing experience for the relatively low cost. Of course, albergues are far cheaper.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning on being on the camino for about 50-55 days. I'm having a hard time trying to estimate the daily expenses and cash on hand needed as things have changed in price since the pandemic. I was hoping for a budget of 3000$ CAD (2000 euro) to suffice.
How much have you got? Figure on spending that. Try to avoid piling unnecessaries on your credit card that you might later regret.
It’s easy enough to calculate how many days you can afford from €50/60/70 a day and adjust your ambitions to fit.
50-55 days is a long Camino for most. Where are you planning to start from? Albergue or Hostal? Menu del Dia or self catering? Alcohol or sticking to water? An €40 a day budget strikes me as Spartan, even ambitious over the time period you’re proposing.

I just figured a budget for a university group for 2 weeks with the most Spartan of expenses. I am going this summer to make sure I was right before we take the group over the Christmas holiday break.. Madrid days about $100 staying in bunk rooms at hostals and eating frugally. Days on the Camino from Sarria to Santiago $40 includes staying at Xunta albergues some pilgrims meals, breakfast, coffees, lunch. Santiago a more generous budget of about $75 per day. Also you should figure in things like transportation home, laundry, pharmacy items for blisters and aches and pains, occasional items you need to replace like toiletries, etc.

I think your 2000 euros will fall short or be a very bare bones Camino and may not include extra items which you will need such as transportation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the past, I have guessed or avoided this question, but on my recent CP from Tui on the Variante Espirituale route, I did record my expenses. Note that
  • I stayed in albergues for two of the eight nights I was walking. The hostels and B&B that I used were generally, but not always, more expensive than staying in private albergues. This year, I did not stay in a Xunta albergue.
  • There was only one pilgrim menu meal. Some more were available, but overall they were only a euro or two less expensive than what I did eat. The two albergues included breakfast, although one was just coffee/tea and biscuits. Both needed to be supplemented if you wanted fruit.
  • Both albergues and the place I stayed in SDC included use of a washing machine, one had a dryer as well. At other places, I used a local laundromat, which typically cost four euro, three to wash and one to dry. I could skip a laundry day, but not two, at least not without re-using underwear! Note that the most expensive laundry service, at a hostel, was 10 euro to wash and dry. I didn't use that, but hand washed underwear that night.
Here are the averages for the eight days I was walking (rounded, and in Euro):
  • Accommodation 31
  • Food 25
  • Laundry 5, for the three times I did have to pay.
  • Total average daily expenditure 61

Daily expenses for a pilgrimage... you may be ok on 50 per day based on my last years expenses. If you are going on holiday .. then you may have to budget for more. Be prepared to budget more based on how much you want to do. I never pay to get my clothes washed .. I hand wash. Rarely more than a Pilgrim menu.. which are better than most imagine they would be and make my own sandwiches etc

It's possible prices have gone up a lot since last October when I was on the Frances but others who are there right now may have more up to date info

I think €50 a day is the minimum, maybe a little more. Of course you can achieve less, and make it work on a spreadsheet, but spending money is not always a flat line, and things come out of the woodwork, or you may see a souvenir you want to buy. You may end up having dinner with a group and you may end up somewhere a little better. Being that focused on cost for 50 days ain’t easy!

I would aim for €60 if you can, which I know is a 50% increase is what you are hoping for, or maybe try and have a few cheap days early where you can earjy on and drive up the ‘money per day’ available to you.

On the up side, doing a Camino is about the cheapest ‘holiday’ you can have!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do not see which Camino you are planning, or the time of year. That will be key. I guess that the sum of €50 per day for a frugal camino is a good one. How does that match your budget? Maybe you will need to sing for your supper!
Have you an old auntie who could subsidise you if the day comes???
(Sadly, all my own old aunties are laughing at me from wherever they have disappeared to.)

Hola
The cost all depends on what you are planning for.

Lodging

To keep your budget down you could bring a tarp and camp in the open - although it is not something a lot of people do, it is done and if one do camp then please remember to keep it clean and dont upset the locals.
Last year I meet a woman that walked teh camino with her dog and they stayed out under a tarp without problems.

We dont know if this is your first Camino or if you have experience?
The reason I ask is that for a first time pilgrim I would recommend to stay in Albergues (Pilgrim hostals) and as an experienced pilgrim you may try other ways to walk.

You can try to plan your Camino staying at Donativos when possible - Donativos are not "free" places but you can donate 3-5-7 Euros as you find suitable for yourt economy.
Remember that the Donativos are actually for people with a limited economy - to make a pilgrimage possible for all kind of people - rich as well as the poor.
Look here:

and look at Gronze.com.

Even if you dont speak spanish Gronze is a major source of information and you can scroll through it and look for donativos.

Food

Cook your food and avoid restaurants.
If you stay at Albergues there will always be kitchens with some utilities.
A lot of pilgrims go shop together after a days walk and make a communal dinner for the group - can be from 2 to 10 people in my experience.
For a lot of people this is where the pilgrims bond and if you are lucky you will walk with people from Mexico or Thailand or whereever and taste some local dishes.
If you can cook you can be a star on the Camino - and if you can not then start practising befor your walk.
Make sandwhiches in the morning to eat at lunch and so on.
Keep it all simple and do remember that food in Spain is very tasty and the produce is amazing - all depeneds on what season you are walking.
One thing: In Galicia the Albergues got kitchens but no utilites so it is basically impossible to make your own food there.

Sightseeing

Unfortunately things have changed over the last 5-10 years in Spain so now you have to pay to enter a lot of churches or sights on the Camino.
It used to be that pilgrims could show their credentials and pay a reduced fee 1-2 Euro, but now it is the same price for all and to enter sights you pay around 5-7 Euros.
I do understand that the economical crisis all over the world is making it necessary to fund places wiht fees - still it is a shame as if you want to see ancient sights along the whole Camino it can add up to
a bit.
Save your budget by only seeing some key places like the Cathedral in Burgos and of course in Santiago.

In theory you could walk the Camino for 10-15 Euro a day of you camp out and minimize your expenses.
It could be a wonderful experience.
One thing is that you probably would not connect as much to other pilgrims as staying in Albergues would do.

Else you stay at the albergues and adjust your expenses along the way.
Keep it simple.
8-14 Euros for an Albergue + whatever your food will cost.
Maybe 30-40 Euros a day.

Alternativly you stay at Albergues and occationally at a hostal/hotel to get a good nights sleep and recharge.
You eat Menu del Dia at restaurants and some brekfasts and coffee and so on.
Your budget would probably get up to 50-60 Euros a day.

You have to make a budget for the lowest you think you can do it for and the upper budget.
See what the difference is and decide what suits you best economically as well as the experience.

Also - 55-60 days?
It sounds great but most people will walk the Frances in anything from 30-40 days.
Why do you plan so long for your Camino?
I am just curious as it seems a bit long, but you might have a good reason for it :)

So. Long text - the subject is sensitive and it might start a firestorm as people have different experiences and opinions - regardless, keep reading on the forum and ask again for other advicers.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

By the way - I am in the around 50 Euros a day budget where I eat good food at restaurants, shop in the supermarket for lunch and breakfast, drink coffees at bars and enter interesting places when I feel for it.
I stay at small hotels occationally but not often and Iike to stay at Donativos when I find them, but I do not plan it.
In general that is excatly how I do my Camino - without a plan - I get to Spain and start my walk and try to stay in The Now - it is a sensational feeling of freedom and simplicity and kindness from other people I experience.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2019 I had daily expenses of 23€ in average. Excluding transportation.
That isn't possible anymore due to the rising prizes of food and energy in the EU.

Think more of 35€ per day. My calculation for my upcoming CP is based on this figure.

HTH
Roland

Also - 55-60 days?
It sounds great but most people will walk the Frances in anything from 30-40 days.
To be fair to the Opening Piligrim, I think 55-60 is a moderately steady Camino. I have taken longer on the Frances in the past and I will take longer in the future. Pleasant 10-15 klm stages plus lots of rest days and time lingering makes for a very relaxing, spiritual, contemplative and comfortable Camino, without any physical issues and no stress. Personally, I love sitting in churches for an hour at a time too and staying in accommodation other than albergues allows for late starts.

Also - 55-60 days?
We ended up taking 58 days to go from SJPdP to SdC. 48 days walking, two sightseeing days and eight days rest/recovery spread over three times for illness and tendonitis.

Hola

Lodging

To keep your budget down you could bring a tarp and camp in the open - although it is not something a lot of people do, it is done and if one do camp then please remember to keep it clean and dont upset the locals.
Last year I meet a woman that walked teh camino with her dog and they stayed out under a tarp without problems.

The reason I ask is that for a first time pilgrim I would recommend to stay in Albergues (Pilgrim hostals) and as an experienced pilgrim you may try other ways to walk.

You can try to plan your Camino staying at Donativos when possible - Donativos are not "free" places but you can donate 3-5-7 Euros as you find suitable for yourt economy.
Remember that the Donativos are actually for people with a limited economy - to make a pilgrimage possible for all kind of people - rich as well as the poor.
Look here:

and look at Gronze.com.

Even if you dont speak spanish Gronze is a major source of information and you can scroll through it and look for donativos.

Food

A lot of pilgrims go shop together after a days walk and make a communal dinner for the group - can be from 2 to 10 people in my experience.
For a lot of people this is where the pilgrims bond and if you are lucky you will walk with people from Mexico or Thailand or whereever and taste some local dishes.
If you can cook you can be a star on the Camino - and if you can not then start practising befor your walk.
Make sandwhiches in themorning to eat at lunch and so on.
Keep it all simple and do remember that food in Spain is very tasty and the produce is amazing - all depeneds on what season you are walking.
One thing: In Galicia the Albergues got kitchens but no utilites so it is basically impossible to make your own food there.

Sightseeing

Unfortunately things have changed over the last 5-10 years in Spain so now you have to pay to enter a lot of churches or sights on the Camino.
It used to be that pilgrims could show their credentials and pay a reduced fee 1-2 Euro, but now it is the same price for all and to enter sights you pay around 5-7 Euros.
I do understand that the economical crisis all over the world is making it necessary to fund places wiht fees - still it is a shame as if you want to see ancient sights along the whole Camino it can add up to
a bit.
Save your budget by only seeing some key places like the Cathedral in Burgos and of course in Santiago.

In theory you could walk the Camino for 10-15 Euro a day of you camp out and minimize your expenses.
One thing is that you probably would not connect as much to other pilgrims as staying in Albergues would do.

Keep it simple.
Maybe 30-40 Euros a day.

Alternativly you stay at Albergues and occationally at a hostal/hotel to get a good nights sleep and recharge.
You eat Manu del Dia at restaurants and some brekfasts and coffee and so on.

You have to make a budget for the lowest you think you can do it for and the upper budget.
See what the difference is and decide what suits you best economically as well as the experience.

Also - 55-60 days?
I am just curious as it seems a bit long, but you might have a good reason for it :)

So. Long text - the subject is sensitive and it might start a firestorm as people have different experiences and opinions - regardless, keep reading on the forum and ask again for other advicers.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

By the way - I am in the around 50 Euros a day budget where I eat good food at restaurants, shop in the supermarket for lunch and breakfast, drink coffees at bars and enter interesting places when I feel for it.
I stay at small hotels occationally but not often and Iike to stay at Donativos when I find them, but I do not plan it.
In general that is excatly how I do my Camino - without a plan - I get to Spain and start my walk and try to stay in The Now - it is a sensational feeling of freedom and simplicity and kindness from other people I experience.
Thank you very much for the information. I do plan on staying in albergues and cooking or making lunches for myself once in a while. I decided on 50 something days to have rest days in case of pain or injury and to sight-see in bigger cities, like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, etc.
It is my first camino and I'll be on the path from July 2nd to August 22nd, flying home on the 24th from Paris.

How much "cash on-hand" was a good question to ask. If you budget for +/- $60 a day and carry no more than a weeks cash you will be in a good spot. I found that when I had $1000 or more in cash I was on guard day and night. Much better to have $300 - $400 on hand and draw more from an ATM as you need it.
Buen Camino!

In 2019 I had daily expenses of 23€ in average. Excluding transportation.
That isn't possible anymore due to the rising prizes of food and energy in the EU.

Think more of 35€ per day. My calculation for my upcoming CP is based on this figure.

HTH
Roland
Interesting, as most aim for 50 euro a day. Thank you for letting me believe this figure might be possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m live on the Camino
Yep, prices are up from my last (seven years ago)
My budget is dormitory and pilgrim menu. Cafe con leche a few times each day (WC!)
Apccommadion is rarely under ten euros
15 on average
Sometimes a charge for blankets
A day may look like this

Albergue—14
Cena—14
Cafe—times two—3
Lunch—5
Desayuno—5
Super market miscellaneous—7
48 Euro

I’m live on the Camino
Yep, prices are up from my last (seven years ago)
My budget is dormitory and pilgrim menu. Cafe con leche a few times each day (WC!)
Apccommadion is rarely under ten euros
15 on average
Sometimes a charge for blankets
A day may look like this

Albergue—14
Cena—14
Cafe—times two—3
Lunch—5
Desayuno—5
Super market miscellaneous—7
48 Euro
Thank you!

Interesting, as most aim for 50 euro a day. Thank you for letting me believe this figure might be possible.
It was a mix of selfcatering, Pilgrim's Menue and some days only fruits bought in Conveniencestores.
Same planned for my CP.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is not just possible it is very easy to be under this amount. Especially if you stay in municipals/donativos/monastarios. Cooking or eating communal dinners in the albergue with other pilgrims is a wonderful experience that you will treasure for a lifetime. Shopping for lunch and snacks is easy and it is not difficult on most caminos to find a lovely spot to eat. This will still leave plenty of money in your budget to stop with other pilgrims for coffee or in the bar after you arrive before or after dinner. Yes there are unforeseen expenses on the camino just as in life but hopefully they will be very few and not very expensive. Each person walks the way they want to walk. Someone mentioned that they spent over 10,000E in 68 days (about 150E per day if my brain maith is about right) and Roland49 said 35 Euros a day, which is where my budget is near. Then there are others who are across the spectrum with their own spending habits.
I believe we all learn as we walk on how we would like to travel. From Spartan accommodations and preparing all your own meals to Paradors and Michelin restaurants. We are also dictated by the realities of our own economic situation.
Speaking only for myself, I could probably spend a little more than I do on my caminos. I have come to realize FOR ME, I believe a camino should be hard and one should sacrifice and live as simply as possible. There have been great lessons I have learned from this that have enriched my life. But I learned this by walking. As i get ready for my eighth camino I have learned to evolve and seek more solitary caminos and to spend more time with myself to face the future of aging and a life that as I get even older will be more difficult to control and to plan. I need the time alone to appreciate the moment and that at this point all I really do have is the step I am taking. I have no control, no knowledge and no certainty of what will happen with the next new day.
Walk and have a little extra in your pocket. You will only know how much you want to spend and where you want to spend it by your experience as a pilgrim on your pilgrimage.

The average cost of staying in an albergue today is near 14€ per night. Unless you stay in municipals which might reduce the cost to closer to 10€ per night. The average pilgrim's meal is again around 14€ breakfast and lunch will cost around 7€ each so now you are at 42€. You will probably need to budget between 50€ and 60€ per day. Costs have risen steeply on the Camino. When I first walked in 2013 those numbers would have been half. Buen Camino

Absolutely costs have risen steeply!
I loaded my travel cards well before I left as this is what pilgrims/travelers/hikers were saying..,

I’m not sure I’ll be back on the pilgrimage trails for some years, so I’m enjoying —greatly—the moments here. It is also very busy and not always possible to stay in your preferred lower budget albergue or municipale.
I know that I’ll be slowly building up finances when I return . It’s a choice I willingly made! Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
L
hi! I can speak only for Primitivo. I’ve spent about 5 Euros at the Mercados for lunch every two days. That’s bread, cheese, chorizo, fruit. Breakfast has been 5 euros for coffee & yogurt. Dinner about 10 Euros if not included in room. Bed average 15 euros/night. I did splurge 120 euros for two nights in Lugo. Could have gone much less. Take a look at booking.com for pricing. Use the WisePilgrim app and you can see what the beds are costing. Buen Camino.

My budget for my entire camino this year isn't much more than £1000. i tend to spend about 15 euros a day. I live frugally. Although i am apparently the odd one on here. Most seem to blow through money like water and crazy amounts like 50 euros a day get thrown around like that is just normal.

The above amount doesn't include travel. That is counted elsewhere on my spreadsheet. ;) The £1000 will allow me 15-20 euros a day, based on a 45 day journey. My journey may end up being longer, and I do have a bit more put aside in case I decide to turn that 45 days into 60 days.

But ultimately, for me, when i walk I tend to stay at municipal and donativo albergues (I aim for 10 euros a night for accommodation). I avoid staying in cities and prefer to stay in smaller towns/villages (where accommodation costs less). I bulk buy food like pasta and eat it with cheese and whatever green veg in a bag I can find/buy each day (and yes I carry a small stove). I only really drink water when i walk, apart from before hard sections when I like to splash on a can or two of Monster, which I mix with water. I allow myself a couple of cans of cheap beer any night I want it, generally stuff like Dia cerveza extra @ 0.59 euros per can (8% Alc) is quite good and cheap. If i'm splashing out or celebrating Voll-Damm is my favourite, but that's kinda expensive.

Your camino can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. You can live frugally or live like you have an unlimited budget. Your camino, your choice. ;)

My budget for my entire camino this year isn't much more than £1000. i tend to spend about 15 euros a day. I live frugally. Although i am apparently the odd one on here. Most seem to blow through money like water and crazy amounts like 50 euros a day get thrown around like that is just normal.

The above amount doesn't include travel. That is counted elsewhere on my spreadsheet. ;) The £1000 will allow me 15-20 euros a day, based on a 45 day journey. My journey may end up being longer, and I do have a bit more put aside in case I decide to turn that 45 days into 60 days.

But ultimately, for me, when i walk I tend to stay at municipal and donativo albergues (I aim for 10 euros a night for accommodation). I avoid staying in cities and prefer to stay in smaller towns/villages (where accommodation costs less). I bulk buy food like pasta and eat it with cheese and whatever green veg in a bag I can find/buy each day (and yes I carry a small stove). I only really drink water when i walk, apart from before hard sections when I like to splash on a can or two of Monster, which I mix with water. I allow myself a couple of cans of cheap beer any night I want it, generally stuff like Dia cerveza extra @ 0.59 euros per can (8% Alc) is quite good and cheap. If i'm splashing out or celebrating Voll-Damm is my favourite, but that's kinda expensive.

Your camino can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. You can live frugally or live like you have an unlimited budget. Your camino, your choice. ;)
That was really interesting and enlightening for me! Thank you. I quite like the idea of doing it at those sort of expense levels, and you demonstrate it can be done. I do get quite surprised at the amounts spent and the taxi‘s here there and everywhere and the amount spent on hotels, but it’s understandable as people want to enjoy their relative affluence! But next time out I quite like the challenge of a more frugal experience. It’s does somehow seem more authentic to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most seem to blow through money like water and crazy amounts like 50 euros a day get thrown around like that is just normal.
This is a quite unkind assessment. Others and I have shared our costs in good faith, explaining what we have done and how much it has cost us. A similar contribution might have been welcome if hadn't been tarred with this judgemental assessment of how others with higher costs that you approached our respective caminos.

I, for one, am happy to use albergues where I can, but on my last two caminos, they have only infrequently been available at the places where I wanted to stop. I am no longer capable of walking on another five or ten kilometres at the end of a day if I find an albergue and other accommodation in a town is full, and I book ahead each day to ensure that I have somewhere I know I can reach without resorting to a taxi for the last few kilometres. I try and find albergues, but do so less frequently than I have in the past.

Likewise, I am happy to eat at a local bar or cafe both for lunch and dinner, and to have a beer at one in the evening. I do prefer to obtain provisions, fruit, yoghurt, etc, for breakfast and then have a coffee at the first open cafe I get to. But I'd rather be doing other things in the evening that being focussed on food preparation.

I think the OP needs a more balanced view of what costs might be expected than this biased and overly judgemental view that others with higher costs are being exorbitant in our spending.

Last edited:
It is difficult to advise you without knowing what kind of camino you want to experience.

Do you want a full-on penitential pilgrimage?
Do you want something physically bearable, but not unbearable and how do you define this?
Do you want something a bit better than physically bearable?
Do you want something comfortable?
And so on. And none of these alternatives are objective.

If you are limited by money, then you either have to save up some more, or tailor your camino to fit your budget. How possible is this? Depends entirely on you. In my youth I hitchhiked across Europe, camped wild, eat corner store food and gut-rot wine and was helped along by hospitable locals who valued their children's opportunity to practise their English on me and to practise their kindness generally.

You won't get this on the Camino Frances these days. I did get it on the Mozarabe in 2008.

Good luck!!

Yes, we share with good faith.
Splashing money around..hmmm…hardly…the prices have risen. Fact. money is the currency that fuels the Camino hospitality infrastructure. It’s needed. I don’t wish to be frugal or stingy. We all make choices and perhaps many have saved a long time for this journey…sure, there are opportunities for those to walk with less means. Donativo albergues. It’s a great blessing indeed

We'll be on the CF from Astorga - Fisterra as a family of 4 with 2 toddlers. Our average accommodation will be 70€ (cheapest is 40€, most expensive will be 117€): we will sleep in family rooms / 4 bed rooms oder 2 double rooms in albergues. We plan on around €100 per day for food, drinks and lots of ice cream for the children :cool:.
Let's see how it goes. I'm happy if we spend less, but we won't make any sacrifices either, as it will be a special time for us as a family.

My first Camino was done on a ~15€/day budget.

I stayed in the cheapest albergues only and always prepared my own meals (pasta, tomato sauce...). Sometimes a coffee, beer or tortilla in a bar, a taxi a few times because of sickness. A new pair of sandals. First and last day a restaurant meal as a treat. When there was no shop and only restaurant meals available I ate cheese and bread which I always carried in my backpack.

It was a wonderful Camino and I did not feel like missing out on anything on that budget.

Prices are higher nowadays, but still reasonable.

Last year on the Francés, the cheapest albergues were still 8-10€, a few even less, and if you buy your own food, you can get by with maybe 10€ for dinner and 5€ for breakfast/snacks for the day.

It is still possible to walk on a low budget.

Most pilgrims spend much more, and that's totally fine.

But it doesn't mean that it's not possible to walk with a budget below 50-60€/day. That's the amount if you stay at private albergues (15€) eat the pilgrim's menu in the evening (12€) and buy the breakfast there (5€), then have coffees and snacks in the bars during the day (10-20€) and use washing machine and dryer for your clothes (5-10€) instead of hand washing.

Someone who stays at the cheapest albergues only and prepares their own meals can get by with much less. When preparing dinner with a group of other pilgrims in the albergue kitchen, sometimes it was only 3-5€/person for a full dinner with wine and dessert, and a lot of fun also.

So if you want to save money, ask others if they want to join you for cooking. A good way to make friends, also.

Happy planning and buen Camino :)

Reading through the variety of responses, I would now like to say that your own guess is good - i.e. your estimated budget.
No point coming across the ocean worrying if you will have enough.
It will be such a bonus if you have something in the purse at the end to put towards your next camino😇. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's highly variable from many factors, including which Camino, which countries, and which regions.

One thing I discovered last year is that the slower you are, the more expensive it will be -- as you will be less able to sleep mainly in the donativos or the cheaper parroquiales or municipales.

To be fair to the Opening Piligrim, I think 55-60 is a moderately steady Camino. I have taken longer on the Frances in the past and I will take longer in the future. Pleasant 10-15 klm stages plus lots of rest days and time lingering makes for a very relaxing, spiritual, contemplative and comfortable Camino, without any physical issues and no stress. Personally, I love sitting in churches for an hour at a time too and staying in accommodation other than albergues allows for late starts.
This is my plan, actually. I want to see the sites, linger, wake up at a reasonable hour instead of before dawn, etc. My Camino will take longer than most.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm planning about 70 euros/day as an average for lodging, food, and incidentals. I took some extra work on this past year to be able to have a little more to spend on the Camino. I want to stay in pensiones and hostales pretty often (I don't sleep as soundly as I used to!), but will also do albergues along the way, especially the ones that have a smaller number of people per room. I expect to get food at grocery stores, ask for bocadillos to go in bars, etc. I am bringing a little hot water heater (coil immersion), a collapsible silicon bowl/cup, and a spork. One of the routes I'm doing is off the main one and has fewer food options, so I thought it would be good to be able to do oatmeal and things on my own, not to mention at least instant coffee in places with no coffee options in the morning.

It can be challenging to find individual rooms because they go fast and most places don't have a lot of them. But if you find another person willing to share a room with two beds (or sometimes rooms and even whole apartments with 3-7 beds), it will bring the cost down a lot. I am thinking it probably won't be too hard to find someone interested in doing that.

That was really interesting and enlightening for me! Thank you. I quite like the idea of doing it at those sort of expense levels, and you demonstrate it can be done. I do get quite surprised at the amounts spent and the taxi‘s here there and everywhere and the amount spent on hotels, but it’s understandable as people want to enjoy their relative affluence! But next time out I quite like the challenge of a more frugal experience. It’s does somehow seem more authentic to me.
Also, if you're one of the people who does the Camino every year or two or three, you may have less to spend on any given Camino than those of us for whom it's now been over 20 years since the last one.

A short taxi ride of a few miles to a nearby village where there's a much cheaper place to stay (maybe close to albergue prices, but with a better night's sleep and your own shower with lots of hot water) makes good sense, and it can create its own heightened adventure because you get off the beaten trail a little and meet more local people, see non-Camino Spain more, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A short taxi ride of a few miles to a nearby village where there's a much cheaper place to stay (maybe close to albergue prices, but with a better night's sleep and your own shower with lots of hot water) makes good sense, and it can create its own heightened adventure because you get off the beaten trail a little and meet more local people, see non-Camino Spain more, etc.
Sure yes agreed. Though have seen some very long jouneys done by taxi!!’ I did wonder if ‘newer’ folks are unclear how good much of Europe public transport is, especially trains! I like Amtrak but they are not on the hour, every hour!

This is a quite unkind assessment. Others and I have shared our costs in good faith, explaining what we have done and how much it has cost us. A similar contribution might have been welcome if hadn't been tarred with this judgemental assessment of how others with higher costs that you approached our respective caminos.

I, for one, am happy to use albergues where I can, but on my last two caminos, they have only infrequently been available at the places where I wanted to stop. I am no longer capable of walking on another five or ten kilometres at the end of a day if I find an albergue and other accommodation in a town is full, and I book ahead each day to ensure that I have somewhere I know I can reach without resorting to a taxi for the last few kilometres. I try and find albergues, but do so less frequently than I have in the past.

Likewise, I am happy to eat at a local bar or cafe both for lunch and dinner, and to have a beer at one in the evening. I do prefer to obtain provisions, fruit, yoghurt, etc, for breakfast and then have a coffee at the first open cafe I get to. But I'd rather be doing other things in the evening that being focussed on food preparation.

I think the OP needs a more balanced view of what costs might be expected than this biased and overly judgemental view that others with higher costs are being exorbitant in our spending.
You aren't wrong. My situation is uniquely different to 99.9% of people who walk. I have no choice in how I do my camino and the fact I do it on a massive budget is part of the fact I can't eat out, can't generally be around people and have to control my environment as much as possible.

The point I was trying to make was more that you don't have to spend 50 euros a day. You can do it for a lot less. I and probably others are testament to that fact.

On my first Camino I spoke with a pilgrim who was walking on half that. An aid worker that had being helping his family out, somewhere in the area between Sahagun and Madrid had suggested he walk a Camino. He set off with about 400 euros and not much more than a bed roll and one set of clothes. He had managed to make it from there to the Gonzar albergue spending far less than i was. Also a guy with a dog who I met at the campsite outside Sahagun who had walked from Amsterdam after the company he worked for went out of business, he was aiming for North Africa after hitting Santiago. He had a basic camping setup and some clothes. His budget was about 5000 euros to get to Morocco. He was sleeping in graveyards and cloisters most nights in his tent with his dog. He said albergues weren't possible because of his dog and he wouldn't leave his dog on it's own.

If this is a holiday for a person and they are treating it like a holiday, then of course spend what you would if you were on a 5 star package holiday. For me it's not a holiday, it's a pilgrimage, there is a difference. I walk to spend time contemplating my life and future, amongst other things. I realise for many it's just a long walk where you get a piece of paper at the end that says you did a long walk. But lets not dive into that side of things. ;)

But ultimately as I stated, each camino is an individual undertaking. My style of camino is unlikely to suit most people. I wish I could eat out and socialise more, but it's not the hand I was dealt. So my camino will always be frugal. :)

You aren't wrong. My situation is uniquely different to 99.9% of people who walk. I have no choice in how I do my camino and the fact I do it on a massive budget is part of the fact I can't eat out, can't generally be around people and have to control my environment as much as possible.

The point I was trying to make was more that you don't have to spend 50 euros a day. You can do it for a lot less. I and probably others are testament to that fact.

On my first Camino I spoke with a pilgrim who was walking on half that. An aid worker that had being helping his family out, somewhere in the area between Sahagun and Madrid had suggested he walk a Camino. He set off with about 400 euros and not much more than a bed roll and one set of clothes. He had managed to make it from there to the Gonzar albergue spending far less than i was. Also a guy with a dog who I met at the campsite outside Sahagun who had walked from Amsterdam after the company he worked for went out of business, he was aiming for North Africa after hitting Santiago. He had a basic camping setup and some clothes. His budget was about 5000 euros to get to Morocco. He was sleeping in graveyards and cloisters most nights in his tent with his dog. He said albergues weren't possible because of his dog and he wouldn't leave his dog on it's own.

If this is a holiday for a person and they are treating it like a holiday, then of course spend what you would if you were on a 5 star package holiday. For me it's not a holiday, it's a pilgrimage, there is a difference. I walk to spend time contemplating my life and future, amongst other things. I realise for many it's just a long walk where you get a piece of paper at the end that says you did a long walk. But lets not dive into that side of things. ;)

But ultimately as I stated, each camino is an individual undertaking. My style of camino is unlikely to suit most people. I wish I could eat out and socialise more, but it's not the hand I was dealt. So my camino will always be frugal. :)
Sure, it's *possible* to do it very frugally. The issue is that it's not the frugality itself that makes you a "real pilgrim" or leads to a pilgrim spirit. You can do the most frugal Camino in the world but end puffed up with pride over it, or looking down on others, or feeling entitled to something (bragging rights?) instead of feeling grateful. For most people, being sleep deprived isn't going to make them better at contemplating life and future, but having some quieter and more private evening time to journal might.

Sure, it's *possible* to do it very frugally. The issue is that it's not the frugality itself that makes you a "real pilgrim" or leads to a pilgrim spirit. You can do the most frugal Camino in the world but end puffed up with pride over it, or looking down on others, or feeling entitled to something (bragging rights?) instead of feeling grateful. For most people, being sleep deprived isn't going to make them better at contemplating life and future, but having some quieter and more private evening time to journal might.

No, doing it frugally doesn't make it a better Camino, or the people walking better pilgrims.

But spending more money doesn't make it necessarily better or more comfortable, either.

You can lie sleep deprived in your hotel room because your thoughts are running wild, also. Or you can sleep like a baby on a mattress in a donativo or municipal overflow. That has little to do with money.

Many people imply it must be so hard and miserable walking on a low budget. Maybe it is if you're used to a lot of luxury at home, or if you want your Camino to be a special luxury, a treat, with hotels, michelin star restaurant meals ect. That's all fine.

But I often see posts here that look down on people walking on a low budget, lots of prejudice, that it must be so hard, or that people walking like that don't spend enough money for the economy along the Camino, that it's just a cheap holiday for them, ect. Very often the advice not to walk and to keep on saving money, or to walk only a short section of a week or so is given. Like "keep off the Camino if you can't spend xy amount of Euros a day".

But we never know why people walk, why maybe it is important to walk for them *that moment* and not in ten years, or maybe they'll never be able to save more money because of their social/financial background.

I've met many people, often eastern European, on a very low budget, and they were happy to be there, they lived frugally, were not freeloaders on a cheap holiday, nor suffering because of their low budget, but pilgrims just like any other pilgrims on their way to Santiago.

We shouldn't be judgemental in either direction.

If this is a holiday for a person and they are treating it like a holiday, then of course spend what you would if you were on a 5 star package holiday.
I don't see anyone here suggesting costs that look anything like a five star holiday, and suggesting, even obliquely, that forum members who are contributing to this and other threads are doing anything but a pilgrimage seems to be a further unkind reflection on our motivations.

If I could contemplate doing the camino the same way I did when I first walked in 2010, I would agree that it would be much less expensive than it is for me now. But even then, albergues with private rooms are no longer 10 to 12 euro / night, but double that or even much more. I didn't see a pilgrim meal advertised for less than 13 euros, and that was for two courses and a coffee, at least 50% higher than my memory of such meals in times past.

So yes, I think it would be possible to keep costs down, even to the point of being under 40 euro/day. But lets understand the discipline and sacrifices that involves, and take off the rose-coloured glasses about it being easy to achieve for everyone.

I don't see anyone here suggesting costs that look anything like a five star holiday, and suggesting, even obliquely, that forum members who are contributing to this and other threads are doing anything but a pilgrimage seems to be a further unkind reflection on our motivations.

If I could contemplate doing the camino the same way I did when I first walked in 2010, I would agree that it would be much less expensive than it is for me now. But even then, albergues with private rooms are no longer 10 to 12 euro / night, but double that or even much more. I didn't see a pilgrim meal advertised for less than 13 euros, and that was for two courses and a coffee, at least 50% higher than my memory of such meals in times past.

So yes, I think it would be possible to keep costs down, even to the point of being under 40 euro/day. But lets understand the discipline and sacrifices that involves, and take off the rose-coloured glasses about it being easy to achieve for everyone.
As an ex marketeer, always obsessed with demographics, and I would think generally the folks on here probably spend more than average trekkers, because the major demographic is older and from affluent countries. More access to credit if cash not readily available. There is probably many out there spending €20 a day, no right or wrong. I am about €50 a day so mid market I guess! It feels ‘right’ level to me. I guess it feel like ‘value for money’ versus other interest/ activities. We all make our own value judgement. I will happily walk a few kms to save ATMs fees, many won’t… and spend €6 on refreshments doing so! It’s all in the mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be possible to keep costs down, even to the point of being under 40 euro/day. But lets understand the discipline and sacrifices that involves,

I don't see the sacrifice in this, to be honest.

12€/ day for albergue (using cheaper municipals/parroquials when possible)
12€/day for dinner (sometimes pilgrims menu, sometimes cooking your own meals or with other pilgrims).
5€/day for breakfast 5€ for snacks
6€/day for drinks on the way
= 40€

Maybe it's because of my social/financial background, but I know on that kind of budget, on the Francés, I live like a king!

It's all a matter of personal view, I guess.

I do think it is partially what people feel they can tolerate that also drives budget. Some pilgrims just can't imagine sleeping in a bunk room or without a private bath. Others are unable to carry a pack (or don't want to) and that also adds to the cost. Laundry in a machine is an extra expense although clothes can be washed by hand. First aid supplies for some with bad blisters will drive up costs. I think it is often some of the unanticipated costs that can put a budget over. What if train tickets back to Madrid are higher? What if my shoes fail, etc. Better to add a margin for things than get caught short thousands of miles from home for me.

Walking 800km is indeed hard, but sacrifices are only that if you view them as such. For me, my requirements are water, food, beer, medication, a bed each night and generally a safe environment where I don't spend too many times in hospital with anaphylaxis. I have very few requirements. When I walk, their is me and the path. If I fulfill my small number of needs, I am happy. As long as I'm happy that's all that matters.

If a person stays in private accommodation, spends 40-50 euros a day doing a Camino and is happy, then that sounds like a good Camino for that person. I really don't have any issue with people blowing money (although maybe I came across as being preachy in my other posts). If it makes them happy and helps them enjoy their Camino, then fair play. It is their Camino and they walk it their way. Everyone is different and has different needs.

My only issue is if people say or infer you must spend 40-50 euros a day. There is no rule that says you must spend x amount of money. How much you spend is personal choice.

Walking 800km is indeed hard, but sacrifices are only that if you view them as such. For me, my requirements are water, food, beer, medication, a bed each night and generally a safe environment where I don't spend too many times in hospital with anaphylaxis. I have very few requirements. When I walk, their is me and the path. If I fulfill my small number of needs, I am happy. As long as I'm happy that's all that matters.

If a person stays in private accommodation, spends 40-50 euros a day doing a Camino and is happy, then that sounds like a good Camino for that person. I really don't have any issue with people blowing money (although maybe I came across as being preachy in my other posts). If it makes them happy and helps them enjoy their Camino, then fair play. It is their Camino and they walk it their way. Everyone is different and has different needs.

My only issue is if people say or infer you must spend 40-50 euros a day. There is no rule that says you must spend x amount of money. How much you spend is personal choice.
Please, can you reference that must?
Let's keep to the point.
The OP asked for a figure indicative of average expenses. Average is what is reached when you multiply a total amount by the number involved - I failed miserably at maths in school, but I do understand the value of what is at my disposal!
This is not a scientific publication, and everyone is trying to help.
Some people say they can manage under €20, maybe.
Some people say they strike lucky at around €50.
Others, they have no upper limit.
That is not important.
The OP is from Canada, so with no current experience of cost of living over here in any part of Europe, but specifically on the CF, and needs to have some confirmation of her own - excellent - notion that with a BUDGET of €50 per day - and like a speed limit - she does not need to reach that figure - she will manage.
Dear OP - buen camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please, can you reference that must?
Let's keep to the point.
The OP asked for a figure indicative of average expenses. Average is what is reached when you multiply a total amount by the number involved - I failed miserably at maths in school, but I do understand the value of what is at my disposal!
This is not a scientific publication, and everyone is trying to help.
Some people say they can manage under €20, maybe.
Some people say they strike lucky at around €50.
Ohers, they have no upper limit.
That is not important.
The OP is from Canada, so with no current experience of cost of living over here in any part of Europe, but specifically on the CF, and needs to have some confirmation of her own - excellent - notion that with a BUDGET of €50 per day - and like a speed limit - she does not need to reach that figure - she will manage.
Dear OP - buen camino!
I’m have quite enjoyed the posts, and think we may even be pretty much in agreement, and I think the phrase ‘blowing money, is probably the issue as it carries a judgmental value…. Like ‘peeing money up against the wall’!

There is more than one type of average btw as I am sure you know and I think a median average is pf more use than a mean average in this case, but let’s not go there!!!

I did the Camino France last spring (2022). For me, my expenses ran about €20 a day for food (and treats like coffee or a glass of beer). And I ate at least two meals a day out of grocery stores.

Albergues averaged €12 and private rooms averaged €40. Typical pilgrims menu dinner in the evening was about €15 although sometimes a little cheaper.

I think your budget would be the bare minimum, about €40 a day, but doable If nothing went wrong.

That said, if that’s all you can afford, go for it. You’ll figure it out, and the Camino provides! Have a lovely walk, Buen Camino.

And I think 50 or 55 days is an excellent choice. It is the time you spend on the Camino, not how many kilometers a day you make . But I think you know that, because you already did it once.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry, I think for 50 or 55 days €2000 would be very difficult. That’s only €20 a day.
Stephan, its more like 40 euro or a little less. A 20 euro budget for 55 days would be 1100 euro. I do think that would be difficult, but there are others who might be frugal enough to achieve that.

edit: @Stephan the Painter has now adjusted the linked post.

Last edited:
But I often see posts here that look down on people walking on a low budget, lots of prejudice, that it must be so hard, or that people walking like that don't spend enough money for the economy along the Camino, that it's just a cheap holiday for them, ect.

I have the emotional intelligence of yeast, but I don’t often perceive this. If anything I note the occasional derogatory comment towards the ‘book everything ahead in private rooms with bags transported’ cohort. (And I accept that is a valid choice).

If someone can, by choice or necessity, get along on a budget which would defy me; then ‘well done’.

An' ye harm none, do what ye will

Last year on the CF I was averaging 100 eur a day. That was for private rooms with AC (plan on being very hot in July!) and eating whatever I wanted.

I often see posts here that look down on people walking on a low budget, lots of prejudice, that it must be so hard, or that people walking like that don't spend enough money for the economy along the Camino, that it's just a cheap holiday for them, ect.
I do not agree with your comment about seeing many such posts. You are mixing up different but valid considerations:
  1. We want people to be realistic about the costs.
  2. If you can afford it, you should pay at least your fair share, and not criticize the local businesses for their pricing. You shouldn't take advantage of the donativos/nonprofit albergues just so you can have a cheap holiday at someone else's expense.
  3. We should support those donativos/nonprofits so that they are available to pilgrims on tight budgets.
This is not "looking down" on anyone walking on a low budget. It is "looking out" for them.

2016 With adult daughter. Leon to SdC 19 nights. eu44.74 pppd cash plus 6.08 in charge slips. So 50 eur per person per day. A mix of everything but no scrimping--and no splurging. Just common sense. Probably well inflated into 2023. My first 2005 pilgrimage was $30 (23 euros) per day--same no scrimp, no splurge. But in 2016 no instances of pilgrims getting together to cook a meal. The albergues were pretty stripped of kitchen utensils. Sad to see that experience gone--but lots of good communal meals.

I do not agree with your comment about seeing many such posts. You are mixing up different but valid considerations:
  1. We want people to be realistic about the costs.
  2. If you can afford it, you should pay at least your fair share, and not criticize the local businesses for their pricing. You shouldn't take advantage of the donativos/nonprofit albergues just so you can have a cheap holiday at someone else's expense.
  3. We should support those donativos/nonprofits so that they are available to pilgrims on tight budgets.
This is not "looking down" on anyone walking on a low budget. It is "looking out" for them.

You are right that it's not "many" such posts, but they do exist. So, "some" would be more accurate.

But they do exist. Usually it's between the lines, or things like implying how miserable it must be to walk with less than xy amount of money (you've got examples of that right in this thread). I guess if you're on the low budget side of things you tend to notice that more than someone who it doesn't really concern.

All I can say is that I'd never have walked the Camino had I listened to what I read on this forum regarding "minimum budget", and had I asked about it, I'm pretty sure I would have been given the advice to stay at home and save more money for a few years (which was not an option for very personal reasons).

So maybe that's why this topic is an emotional one for me. This is getting off topic, too, so I apologize.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I strongly agree with Good Old Shoes post. The important thing for me is that people who want to do the Camino (or need to do it, or find themselves called to it) are not discouraged by money concerns. You can have a great Camino on 20 euro a day, eating well and having fun, and finding as we all do that ascetic living refreshes the spirit. I've met people walking with nothing and trusting the Camino to provide, which it does. It's for all. Donativos exist for that. To make it possible for those with slender means to do the Way. The people who run them know how important it is that no-one is shamed or excluded or turned away from the Camino family. May it always be so. Just do it if you feel the call, all will be well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Usually it's between the lines, or things like implying how miserable it must be to walk with less than xy amount of money (you've got examples of that right in this thread).
If you are interpreting my early comment that walking on a lower budget would require discipline and sacrifice somehow implies that your pilgrimage would be miserable, then nothing could be further from the point that I thought I was making. It would be unfortunate, and certainly not my intention in making that comment, to form such a view.

More, I don't think that any of my posts could reasonably be interpreted as suggesting someone shouldn't undertake a pilgrimage without having some specific level of financial resources available to them. At the extreme, people do walk as mendicant pilgrims, and I have met a few of these and read of others. It is an honourable tradition, albeit not one that I aspire to emulate, but do support. I know some posts here might seem to suggest there is an irreducible minimum, and those who have achieved lower costs in the current environment are right to call those out.

But here's the rub. The OP asked for others to share their expenses. Might I suggest that very few of the now over 60 responses do that. Some have told us about budgets, others about strategies for reducing expenses, a few about how difficult it might or might not be, and some, like this, have been about other things entirely. We've hardly stuck to the point of providing the OP with the information she was looking for from us.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you are interpreting my early comment that walking on a lower budget would require discipline and sacrifice somehow implies that your pilgrimage would be miserable, then nothing could be further from the point that I thought I was making. It would be unfortunate, and certainly not my intention in making that comment, to form such a view.

More, I don't think that any of my posts could reasonably be interpreted as suggesting someone shouldn't undertake a pilgrimage without having some specific level of financial resources available to them. At the extreme, people do walk as mendicant pilgrims, and I have met a few of these and read of others. It is an honourable tradition, albeit not one that I aspire to emulate, but do support. I know some posts here might seem to suggest there is an irreducible minimum, and those who have achieved lower costs in the current environment are right to call those out.

But here's the rub. The OP asked for others to share their expenses. Might I suggest that very few of the now over 60 responses do that. Some have told us about budgets, others about strategies for reducing expenses, a few about how difficult it might or might not be, and some, like this, have been about other things entirely. We've hardly stuck to the point of providing the OP with the information she was looking for from us.
We posted around the same moment. Thanks.

I am in the Camino Francés right now. I have been mostly staying in albergues (bed in a shared room), having breakfast (coffee, fresh OJ and some food item) and a pilgrim dinner, with lunch either being a piece of tortilla and beverage at a café along the way or fruit, bread and cheese from a market. An afternoon caña or copa de vino as well. I’ve been spending around 50€ per day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once more, the OP asked about average daily expenses - since the pandemic. That is all. Those with recent experience have pride of place, so I will not say again what mine were, mean or median.
@camster, have you got sufficient clues yet?
I have a good idea what to expect, but if others want to share the way they organized their expenses, I will be glad to learn more.

I am in the Camino Francés right now. I have been mostly staying in albergues (bed in a shared room), having breakfast (coffee, fresh OJ and some food item) and a pilgrim dinner, with lunch either being a piece of tortilla and beverage at a café along the way or fruit, bread and cheese from a market. An afternoon caña or copa de vino as well. I’ve been spending around 50€ per day.
Great, thank you. I imagine that between Roncesvalles and Galicia, things may cost less, so it's possible to average it out to a lower daily cost in general. Does that sound right? That in more popular towns, things are costlier?

I stay in albergues.
I mostly make my own (or with others), dinner in the albergue kitchens.
Some evenings I treat myself to a menu del dia.
I enjoy a beer or two in resting places (bars/cafes) during the day.
A normal day's average is 40-50 Euros. Some days less.
However, I suspect it will be a little higher this year, due to the high inflation.

I think you'll be fine with your budget.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stephan, its more like 40 euro or a little less. A 20 euro budget for 55 days would be 1100 euro. I do think that would be difficult, but there are others who might be frugal enough to achieve that.
Oh no! How embarrassing! That’s what I get for doing math in my head.
I’ll edit that part of that post out and alter my comment for future pilgrims who are checking this post for reference.

I consider myself a pretty big baby in terms of being a person who likes to have a private room and a proper bath about every 6 to 7 days on a camino. I do not have a big appetite, so that might help, and I am one of those people whose stomach can go on a bit of a strike when I am doing endurance style walking, so keep that in mind when I tell you that I am able to do a camino of 46 days for about $1500 to $1700 CAD on the ground.
In general, I save much more money when I am on a camino as compared to when I am at home… and I do splurge sometimes.
This trip I have made myself a reservation at the Michelin starred restaurant, Lume, thatIvar highlighted in one of his videos last year. If I take the prix’fixe offering, it will be about 45 euros… about 30% more than I would usually spend in a whole day, but what an opportunity and what a wonderful value! And if I decide on the a la crate-menu and spend a little more, well, I know that I will have had many less expensive days along the way.
I think you will be OK. Tight_ maybe… but I think you will be OK. Good if you can have a planned ´émergency buffer´´on a credit card just in case.
Buen Camino!

I consider myself a pretty big baby in terms of being a person who likes to have a private room and a proper bath about every 6 to 7 days on a camino. I do not have a big appetite, so that might help, and I am one of those people whose stomach can go on a bit of a strike when I am doing endurance style walking, so keep that in mind when I tell you that I am able to do a camino of 46 days for about $1500 to $1700 CAD on the ground.
In general, I save much more money when I am on a camino as compared to when I am at home… and I do splurge sometimes.
This trip I have made myself a reservation at the Michelin starred restaurant, Lume, thatIvar highlighted in one of his videos last year. If I take the prix’fixe offering, it will be about 45 euros… about 30% more than I would usually spend in a whole day, but what an opportunity and what a wonderful value! And if I decide on the a la crate-menu and spend a little more, well, I know that I will have had many less expensive days along the way.
I think you will be OK. Tight_ maybe… but I think you will be OK. Good if you can have a planned ´émergency buffer´´on a credit card just in case.
Buen Camino!
Sounds good, thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fellow pelegrina (you are a pilgrim now; you are simply just in the planning stage of your journey). I should elaborate a bit more about my costs:

I can make a dinner for 4-6 people in albergues at the expense of 4-6 Euros/person, wine included. For myself only: 4-5 Euros. Sometimes I make an omelet or protein-rich soup for myself (you can buy as few or as many eggs as you want in the local grocery store). Solid protein and you're good to go.

I stay in albergues, but when I am in donativos, I pay some more, bc I support their selflessness. No problem.

I do not eat breakfast. I drink a coffee at the next cafe. Breakfast is overrated, IMHO.

I enjoy a cold beer or two and tortilla/whatever during the day's walk.

Most of the time I buy food from local groceries. It is good for me and my economy, but also for the economy of the locals.

Always have in mind the support of local economy: It will also benefit your economy.

You don't have to go to a restaurant each evening for food: Do as at home: Make your own food. It is way cheaper.

Above all: You will understand all of this after less than a week on your Camino.

And I stick to my budget of 40-50 Euros/day if you do it sensibly. Maybe less. It will be fun and affordable for you.

Last edited:
Great, thank you. I imagine that between Roncesvalles and Galicia, things may cost less, so it's possible to average it out to a lower daily cost in general. Does that sound right? That in more popular towns, things are costlier
Of course it depends on the type of accommodation (Xunta albergues in Galícia are €8 - up from €6 when I first walked in 2016) but on the Camino Francés I think that the beginning (if you start in SJPdP) and the end tend to be more expensive.

Fellow pelegrina (you are a pilgrim now;

Or in Spanish a peregrina.

Fellow pelegrina (you are a pilgrim now; you are simply just in the planning stage of your journey). I should elaborate a bit more about my costs:

I can make a dinner for 4-6 people in albergues at the expense of 4-6 Euros/person, wine included. For myself only: 4-5 Euros. Sometimes I make an omelet or protein-rich soup for myself (you can buy as few or as many eggs as you want in the local grocery store). Solid protein and you're good to go.

I stay in albergues, but when I am in donativos, I pay some more, bc I support their selflessness. No problem.

I do not eat breakfast. I drink a coffee at the next cafe. Breakfast is overrated, IMHO.

I enjoy a cold beer or two and tortilla/whatever during the day's walk.

Most of the time I buy food from local groceries. It is good for me and my economy, but also for the economy of the locals.

Always have in mind the support of local economy: It will also benefit your economy.

You don't have to go to a restaurant each evening for food: Do as at home: Make your own food. It is way cheaper.

Above all: You will understand all of this after less than a week on your Camino.

And I stick to my budget of 40-50 Euros/day if you do it sensibly. Maybe less. It will be fun and affordable for you.
I love the idea that these costs are possible. Thank you for the details!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola

Lodging

Look here:

and look at Gronze.com.

Food

Make sandwhiches in the morning to eat at lunch and so on.

Sightseeing

a bit.

Keep it simple.
Maybe 30-40 Euros a day.

You eat Menu del Dia at restaurants and some brekfasts and coffee and so on.

Also - 55-60 days?

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I think you nailed the response! Straight, to the point and very accurate.

Thank you very much for the information. I do plan on staying in albergues and cooking or making lunches for myself once in a while. I decided on 50 something days to have rest days in case of pain or injury and to sight-see in bigger cities, like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, etc.
It is my first camino and I'll be on the path from July 2nd to August 22nd, flying home on the 24th from Paris.
Also if you are able, could continue walking to Fistera and Muxia. I took 39 days for Frances and 6 more for those. Worst case if you walk and finish earlier than planned and see some other small areas on your way back to Paris

For what it's worth, I spent about €675 over sixteen days 5-20 April 2016 (€42/day)
Camino: Villamayor de Monjardín to Hontanas then south to Palencia,
bus: Palencia to Zamora,
three nights in Zamora,
then Camino: Zamora to La Bañeza.

No, doing it frugally doesn't make it a better Camino, or the people walking better pilgrims.

But spending more money doesn't make it necessarily better or more comfortable, either.

You can lie sleep deprived in your hotel room because your thoughts are running wild, also. Or you can sleep like a baby on a mattress in a donativo or municipal overflow. That has little to do with money.

Many people imply it must be so hard and miserable walking on a low budget. Maybe it is if you're used to a lot of luxury at home, or if you want your Camino to be a special luxury, a treat, with hotels, michelin star restaurant meals ect. That's all fine.

But I often see posts here that look down on people walking on a low budget, lots of prejudice, that it must be so hard, or that people walking like that don't spend enough money for the economy along the Camino, that it's just a cheap holiday for them, ect. Very often the advice not to walk and to keep on saving money, or to walk only a short section of a week or so is given. Like "keep off the Camino if you can't spend xy amount of Euros a day".

But we never know why people walk, why maybe it is important to walk for them *that moment* and not in ten years, or maybe they'll never be able to save more money because of their social/financial background.

I've met many people, often eastern European, on a very low budget, and they were happy to be there, they lived frugally, were not freeloaders on a cheap holiday, nor suffering because of their low budget, but pilgrims just like any other pilgrims on their way to Santiago.

We shouldn't be judgemental in either direction.
I agree. I just find most of the judgment coming from the other direction. And on all kinds of issues. I hope that's more acute in online spaces than it is on the actual Camino. It really would hinder the experience to know you're surrounded by all these people judging each other. Hoping that's not the case ...

Unfortunately we do judge each other, the hibogrini, tourigrini, plutogrini, bicigrini etc, but with less and less conviction as time and cameraderie erode the rigid categories of being which prevail in the "real" world; another of the many kinds of enchanting liberation which the Camino provides.

It really would hinder the experience to know you're surrounded by all these people judging each other.
People are judging others all the time. Good or bad, kindly or unkindly. You will never get away from that. It's how they share that judgement with you or with others that will make the difference. You could box shadows here, interpreting a particular look, grimace, shrug or the like as an expression of judgement, and drive yourself crazy doing that. Accept that you know what's in your mind and your heart, and don't let go of that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Can anyone share their average expen

Hi, I'm also from canada and I walked camino frances this year from last week of march to april for 31 days. I find that prices are a bit pricier compared to 2021 when I walked my first camino. I tried to budget, be comfortable and splurge every now and then, so I would budget for 40-50/day, not including the cost of any misc items you might need to buy such as clothes/shoes/equipment. For myself, I end up buying a jacket and hiking pants, it was unexpectedly freezing/colder mornings.

below are the breakdown of the cost based on my personal expenses;

albergues - municipal = 7-12

- private = 11-20

- private room = 20-70

breakfast - cafe con leche = 1.2-2

- coffee/bread/orange juice = 3-5

cerveza/wine - 2-3
menu del dia = 12-17
laundry - wash = 3-4 dryer = 3-4

groceries - def cheaper than eating out, however some albergues don't have facilities to cook or no
kitchenware to use, a smaller town/village is a bit more expensive, for example when I was in zubiri, I bought an instant noodles for 3 euro. So I got snacks when Im in a bigger town.

I have a spreadsheet of the albergues I stayed at and prices, if you want I can share it with you.

Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

I felt that prices had risen around 25-50% between my CF in 2019 and 2022. While in 2019, i felt that 35€ a day made for quite the good living, in 2022 i felt i spent more around 50 a day. However, i would not rule out that part of this was due to a change in personal priorities. As a rule of thumb, i'd say you'll be fine with something in the range of 30-50 a day.
(However, thats last year numbers...)
In 2019, on my last of 9 Caminos, I averaged ~32-34E/day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.