• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is carrying your own backpack a thing of the past?

Ahhhs

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
I was talking to a very able bodied young woman who was planning to walk the Camino Frances and she commented that she was arranging to have her pack transported every day. She said that she had backpacked before but had heard that "everyone" on the Camino sends their pack ahead so that they don't have to carry it.

Huh? I've always thought of carrying all my worldly goods in my pack on my back as part of the Camino experience for me. I like having everything (however limited) with me in case I need anything. I understand the need for bag transport if one physically needs it or becomes injured. But just because it's available?

Is carrying your own pack passé?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was talking to a very able bodied young woman who was planning to walk the Camino Frances and she commented that she was arranging to have her pack transported every day. She said that she had backpacked before but had heard that "everyone" on the Camino sends their pack ahead so that they don't have to carry it.

Huh? I've always thought of carrying all my worldly goods in my pack on my back as part of the Camino experience for me. I like having everything (however limited) with me in case I need anything. I understand the need for bag transport if one physically needs it or becomes injured. But just because it's available?

I sure hope not. I am planning on carrying mine for the same reasons you mention. I'm just hoping I can do without a few more of my worldly goods because my pack is still just a wee bit too heavy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Because my pack will contain "all my worldly goods", I prefer to keep it with me. Love how few worldly goods I need.
That's exactly the response I'd wrote to the OP.
Because nothing is really indispensable but the experience of having/carrying just a few basic things all the way is always very important to me personally. Many parallels to our usual daily lives also and not so hard way to learn how much (little) we really need ;)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like the idea of carrying my pack as part of the challenge of the Camino, but even if I discard that idea, I can't see myself using a transport service for another reason: how do you know where to send your pack?

A particularly steep hill or a change in the weather can alter my plans during the course of a day, not to mention the possibility that there won't be a bed in the town I have in mind so I need to move along.

How do the pack-service pilgrims deal with those issues? Do they make advance reservations every day, and call a lot of taxis if things change?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
She said that she had backpacked before but had heard that "everyone" on the Camino sends their pack ahead so that they don't have to carry it.

What? Complete nonsense !
I and many others enjoy carrying our pack .... each to their own .... I have nothing against what others do BUT it is nonsense to suggest most do not carry OR even that what others do should affect what one wishes to do themselves ... a bit bazaar

Ultreia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We met two women after Sarria who were United Nations workers who had just been to Syria in an official capacity. One of the women was feeling completely hopeless about humanity (HOPELESS - angry beyond measure and, I think, enormously sad). Her UN partner must have brought her to the Camino to give her a little hope.

They had their packs transported.

I'd say they have missed it completely if the Camino was about understanding the refugees. But who am I to say or even judge...

Do it your way. Take a side trips, or walk 65 kms per day, or knock yourself off on Rioja wine, or don't walk for a week, or transport your backpack/suitcase/whatever, ..., just have a nice time and try (try!) to seize the energy of the route that has been traveled by millions through centuries. If you can't feel that..., well...

Ultreia!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I must not have done these two women justice. Their place on the Camino had nothing to do with the refugees; it had to do with the incredibly difficult jobs these women had and how one friend was trying to help the other regain some faith in humanity by bringing her to the Camino (which I am fairly sure did not do the trick).

They had just finished a visit to Syria as UN workers. The more hopeful woman must have thought she could help her partner who was feeling hopeless about ALL of us by bringing her to the Camino where people are kind . . . .

The point being, who are we to judge one for what one is carrying on one's back.

Until you experience it "grief" (and I think that's what this woman might have been suffering) can be an immeasurable burden. Emotionally and physically.

If this woman could only manage to cope with her Camino by having her backpack transported good on her for finding a way to achieve her Camino in her own way.

As to the OPs example I think the hype around the Camino (in Oz and in the US too it seems?) seems to scare some perfectly fit people into thinking it is impossible for them.

Until you experience it "grief" (and I think that's what this woman might have been suffering) can be an immeasurable burden. Emotionally and physically.

If this woman could only manage to cope with her Camino by having her backpack transported good on her for finding a way to achieve her Camino in her own way.

As to the OPs example I think the hype around the Camino (in Oz and in the US too it seems?) seems to scare some perfectly fit people into thinking it is impossible for them.
I cannot speak for her, but I think you are right: she was genuinely grieving for humanity. We met these two on our last night on the Camino. I loved that her friend and coworker was doing her best to help her try to see that there was plenty of good out there in the world.

Definitely not passé to carry your rucksack. Most pilgrims only resort to sending it ahead if they are injured. Can't wait to be back! Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Not so many people or most carry their pack. Many things on the Camino are passe these days. Then I did my first Camino in 2008 and 2009 cell phones and reservations were unheard of, now look at it. I believe myself and a few of us who do not carry a cell and rarely reserve are passe.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Understanding that a lot of people choose to do something different from me is an equally important lesson.

Couldn't agree more. Even though I would never have said anything to their face, I definitely judged a lot of the people I felt weren't doing it "right" on my first Camino. I'll try to be a better pilgrim this time round.

In 2015 (entire CdF) i noticed very few people with small day packs - the "plimsole bags" as i call them.
Last year (SJPdP to Burgos) there were a few more.
I am just returning from this year's walk from Burgo to Ponferrada. There was an obvious increase in the backpack transport business. Brochures in every albergue and a pile of rucksacks every morning waiting to be transported. We reckoned about 20-30% of people were not carrying all their stuff.
Also, a very noticeable increase in taxis - they were postively hovering around in Calzadilla (after Carrion).
I am not going to pass judgement...each to their own and we all travel our own Camino.
Incidentally, we met a lady on crutches who was taxiing some of the harder bits - she had been told that she wasn't doing it "properly". I thought that was an appalling thing to say.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just returned from my first camino from Sarria. Number one lesson for me was self compassion! On previous threads I had seen comments of people not being 'true pilgrims' unless they carried their pack. Unfortunately a few weeks before my camino I couldn't train as I got really poorly. Day one camino I carried 6kg and ended up in a lot of pain from pulling my back. I decided to get my pack transported and it took me all evening to figure out that (1) true pilgrims were unlikely to have very many possessions (2) I'm not doing this as a penance for a crime and most importantly of all (3) it's my camino, what does it matter if others judge me! The 3 euros it cost me (local business providing more income to the region) was a lot less than the money it would cost for a chiropractor when I'm home!!

Like someone said about emotionally what we are carrying being unable to be seen/assessed I had an extremely traumatic memory flashback to me on my camino. It helped me heal from it and regain a part of my life that I had no idea how to previously. This alone was a massive weight to carry and slowly to lift! It even helped me be a little assertive when a fellow pilgrim scoffed that I'd only walked from Sarria, he'd done from SJPdP. I told him how proud I was that I'd done from Sarria having never travelled alone before abroad! Even my family and friends threw me several leaving parties before my short but significant trip.

I am so blessed to have had a wonderful and life changing experience. Already planning the next!!

I can't think of any good reason to use a suitcase.

On one Camino I came across a woman with seven suitcases. She needed seven suitcases to be sure that she had a different outfit for everyday. She explained to me that she would "just die" if her friends saw her wearing the same thing twice in her pictures.

Last edited:
I've just returned from my first camino from Sarria. Number one lesson for me was self compassion! On previous threads I had seen comments of people not being 'true pilgrims' unless they carried their pack. Unfortunately a few weeks before my camino I couldn't train as I got really poorly. Day one camino I carried 6kg and ended up in a lot of pain from pulling my back. I decided to get my pack transported and it took me all evening to figure out that (1) true pilgrims were unlikely to have very many possessions (2) I'm not doing this as a penance for a crime and most importantly of all (3) it's my camino, what does it matter if others judge me! The 3 euros it cost me (local business providing more income to the region) was a lot less than the money it would cost for a chiropractor when I'm home!!

Like someone said about emotionally what we are carrying being unable to be seen/assessed I had an extremely traumatic memory flashback to me on my camino. It helped me heal from it and regain a part of my life that I had no idea how to previously. This alone was a massive weight to carry and slowly to lift! It even helped me be a little assertive when a fellow pilgrim scoffed that I'd only walked from Sarria, he'd done from SJPdP. I told him how proud I was that I'd done from Sarria having never travelled alone before abroad! Even my family and friends threw me several leaving parties before my short but significant trip.

I am so blessed to have had a wonderful and life changing experience. Already planning the next!!

I'm hoping that transporting bags is possible. My doctor has ruled out a heavy backpack but sees no reason I should not be able walk the Camino with a day pack. Is it really so hard to plan ahead as to where you will stop?

I'm hoping that transporting bags is possible. My doctor has ruled out a heavy backpack but sees no reason I should not be able walk the Camino with a day pack. Is it really so hard to plan ahead as to where you will stop?

I think it's not so much that it's hard, as mentioned it's getting easier and easier. It's more that it's a bit limiting because you know you have to somehow be reunited with your things at the end of the day. But infrastructure along the camino is really good and I wouldn't let it put you off.

Do you think they had their packs transported? I never saw a historic Pilgrim statue or image with a backpack. So I guess they must have ? :eek:

Surely walking the Camino has very little to do with backpacks.........

pilgrims.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Do what YOU need to do ... it's all possible .... it's ALL possible ... go forward !
Ultreia

Can I bring my jeep to do the Camino? Surely they had horses and donkeys, so a jeep would be a natural evolution :)

She said that she had backpacked before but had heard that "everyone" on the Camino sends their pack ahead so that they don't have to carry it.

Sounds like the only people she is talking to are people that have had their bag transported. Send her to this forum, she will get a WIDER range of experiences! :p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There were a lot being sent forward and most that I saw were suitcases. Very few backpacks. The suitcase people had booked all of their stops ahead and just walked with light pack or no pack. They did not spark my intolerance as they were walking pretty strong "gotta do it to catch up with my things" distances. I'm referring to those who went the distance, not the Sarria crowd.

If carrying "all my worldly goods" is a freeing experience, wouldn't carrying only the goods I need for the next 8 hours of my life be that much more freeing? And trusting my goods to a worldly servant of the Camino cannot be that bad.
Transcendence is a goal for me (Camino or driving to the market). Less is better. And easier on 70 year old knees.
My next Camino will likely feature a slack-pack and a transported roller suitcase.
Another feature of my next Camino (as in my previous ones) will be my attempts to be compassionate and non-judgemental. That baggage cannot be hired out, it must be carried.

I have 2 Compostelas. I don't read Latin very well, but I cannot find my pack weight listed on either of them.

There is no need for a "heavy" packpack, although that is of course relative. Browse through the forum, and you'll see that it is certainly possible to transport bags and it is not so hard to plan stops ahead.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can I bring my jeep to do the Camino? Surely they had horses and donkeys, so a jeep would be a natural evolution :)
You can bring your jeep, park the jeep in the place where you start and pick it up when you are ready .:D:D:D

Wish you well,Peter.

Not realy, most of the Pilgrims will carry there own backpack .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino ,Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had my bag transported after the first few days of carrying it on a few very hot days. It was fabulous, saved my body, my energy. I did this for about 1 week and then I went back to carrying it myself because I wanted to and preferred the freedom of not having to choose your destination for that night. No shame, I would guess if the early pilgrims had this service available, they would have used it (maybe they used donkeys to carry?). But after 30+ days of walking the Camino in modern times, I don't feel it's about doing it the way the old Pilgrims did, that is just silly because we are in different times and a different world. It's about just walking, enjoying the people and the experience, getting to know yourself and your limitations as well as your strengths. Compare yourself not to anything traditional, or other pilgrims, but just walk and do what you need to do as you feel you need or want to. If you can afford hotels, courier services, etc... do it without guilt or shame from others. There are no RULES and hopefully none will be inflicted. This is one of the places you can DO IT YOUR WAY!

Of course everyone should do their own Camino in whatever way makes them comfortable and happy. And we certainly don't know by looking at someone what their whole story is.

For me, part of the fun and the challenge is all the prep and planning that happens before you begin to walk. Figuring out what to bring (and what NOT to bring) and how little you really need. And then be able to fit it all into a pack that you can carry yourself. But that's just me.

Times do change. I noticed a lot more "to go" coffee cups this year. Sigh.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can I bring my jeep to do the Camino? :)

I have a friend in Santander. He was born near Vilalba. He is in his 70's and has walked so many Caminos that he has lost count.
He walks sections with his wife now, whenever they get a few days.
They drive to a starting spot, park the car and begin their walk. When they reach a stopping point, they get lodging, and he takes a taxi back to his car, which contains their 'suitcases' for the trip. Usually it is a 15km ride, plus or minus. Then drives the car to the hired lodging, and enjoys the rest of the day. In this way they 'leap frog' along the route. They use private lodgings so they don't take albergue space.
They are both Catholic and attend services along the way.
He is one of the most settled, serene, happy men I've ever known. He enriches the life of all who know him.
For me, he is the icon of peregrino.

I say, bring the Jeep. Just make sure you ring the bell when passing walkers. :)

That's what I thought, too, but it is often described as a homage to the pilgrim. It's called "Quo vadis. El caminante", the artist is called Sendo, and it is in Astorga. It's in bronze but the previous version was made from other materials and was much larger. It was burned down.
Thank you for the correction @Kathar1na. I attempted to search for information on the statue but I was not having any luck. With the name of the work I found a good page of information in Spanish (and including a picture of the original) at http://latindecuisine.blogspot.com/2011/05/referentes-clasicos-en-el-camino-de.html

Use this link for a Google translation.

No shame, I would guess if the early pilgrims had this service available, they would have used it (maybe they used donkeys to carry?). But after 30+ days of walking the Camino in modern times, I don't feel it's about doing it the way the old Pilgrims did, that is just silly because we are in different times and a different world. It's about just walking, enjoying the people and the experience, getting to know yourself and your limitations as well as your strengths. Compare yourself not to anything traditional, or other pilgrims, but just walk and do what you need to do as you feel you need or want to. If you can afford hotels, courier services, etc... do it without guilt or shame from others. There are no RULES and hopefully none will be inflicted. This is one of the places you can DO IT YOUR WAY!

Yes Patrice! Given that historically you could just pay someone to do the camino for you I'm not sure looking to the past for a yardstick is of much value.

I only did the carry your pack, no skipping sections thing because I knew that would bring me most satisfaction, but that standard is entirely self imposed and it's certainly not my place to dictate to others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Absolutely not. I am on the Camino Frances right now and I would say that 80% of people carry their own packs. Folks who don't usually a) can't manage it physically or b) don't want the gear restrictions that carrying your own pack requires. But by far most of us are carrying,

Absolutely not. I am on the Camino Frances right now and I would say that 80% of people carry their own packs. Folks who don't usually a) can't manage it physically or b) don't want the gear restrictions that carrying your own pack requires. But by far most of us are carrying,

Buen camino Faye.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some folks say some are not carrying enough.
Other folks are saying some are carrying too much.
It's like driving.
The old man driving in front of you is going too slow and
the young lady who raced past you is a maniac.
Only I am driving the correct speed LOL

On one Camino I came across a woman with seven suitcases. She needed seven suitcases to be sure that she had a different outfit for everyday. She explained to me that she would "just die" if her friends saw her wearing the same thing twice in her pictures.
5 of those suitcases were clothes. One was makeup, moisturizer, and hair products. The last one held a Keurig machine and pods.
We all have our quirks.

Do you think they had their packs transported? I never saw a historic Pilgrim statue or image with a backpack. So I guess they must have ? :eek:

pilgrims.jpg
We all carry what we carry on the Camino. A large or small backpack or no backpack at all. Some carry scars, both physical and emotional, which preclude the carrying of much weight. Right Robo; the healing process some enter into while walking has little to do with what is on your back but what is in side of one. The shipping onwards of a backpack, suitcase or stuffed pillow case allows some people to engage in the "moving meditation" of walking the Camino. My certificate of completion attests to the fact that I walked 800 k's, nothing about what I carried.

As a "post trauma" survivor from my days as a cop I was a better person, emotionally, for myself and my family after walking. The occasional shipping of my pack allowed me to be fully present in the meditation process and continue walking on some difficult days, in all the meanings of that expression. Just my take on my walk. Each of us engages in a truly personal experience which may not be suitable for others

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Had a couple of weeks touristing on the camino from Logroño in oct/nov last year. Stayed in hotels and tried out correostransport for some of my luggage.
Most people I met did not carry their backpacks and I was surprised to hear that most albergues, also the municipal, accepted luggagatransport. Much has changed since my first camino in 2005.

That's what I thought, too, but it is often described as a homage to the pilgrim. It's called "Quo vadis. El caminante", the artist is called Sendo, and it is in Astorga.

Maybe backpacks were not readily available for all pilgrims.

Just as a polite reminder to all, I am compelled to state Camino Rule #1:

Each pilgrim does their own Camino. "No other person has the standing, position, or "right" to judge the manner, speed, method, process, or any other aspect of how a person chooses to, or is compelled to accomplish their Camino."

If just finished my fifth Camino, the Portuguese from Lisbon. As is my custom, I humped my always too heavy rucksack all the way. For the moment, my health supports that manner. However, this may not always be the case...

All all the way from Porto to Santiago, I saw multitudes of folks carrying itty-bitty day packs, and in one case, three women wearing waist belts with dual bottle holders (no backpack).

The only time it bothered me was when one fellow walked so close to me on a narrow, slippery, rocky uphill section that he was literally walking in lock-step with me...like a comedy routine. I could FEEL his presence, he was SO close.

It was unnerving and, frankly rude. However, I said nothing, but at the first opportunity, I stood aside and allowed this group of perhaps 15 tourigrinos to pass me.

Moreover, I do not know the back story for this practice for this group. Unless one has all the facts, it is impossible to make an informed judgement or to form a proper opinion.

Then again, we come full circle to my opening statement of Rule One...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Well, after thinking about this and reading some responses-- I'm going to give this a go-- though I will probably be told I am being judgmental.

After my mother died, I decided I was actually going to walk the Camino instead of just talking about it, as I had been doing for 10 years. I asked my 17yo son if he would walk with me. His response was "Why don't you just rent a car?" So, I thought "Right. Well, that counts you out." Part of the camino is walking. Part of the camino is carrying your own stuff. We own so many things, and realizing the burden of ownership is part of the camino. It is questioning "What do I need?" Does what I own define me? Can I let go of defining people and being defined by the clothes I put on, by the make up I wear? Yes, I met people who didn't carry their packs who are good people. I am not saying they got nothing out of their camino, and I'm sure that many aristocrats traveled the camino with a full entourage. But it was a far different camino than mine.

There were a lot being sent forward and most that I saw were suitcases. Very few backpacks. The suitcase people had booked all of their stops ahead and just walked with light pack or no pack. They did not spark my intolerance as they were walking pretty strong "gotta do it to catch up with my things" distances. I'm referring to those who went the distance, not the Sarria crowd.
"The Sarria crowd". It seems you haven't been noticing the posts advising not to be judgemental.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I had always thought of that particular convenience to be of good use in case of ill health or injury: But each to his own.

Each to their own indeed.

Personally, I don't think that it is passé to carry one's backpack, if it is a possibility. Being fit, health and mentally capable, I would personally feel that not carrying my backpack the whole way would be a bit of a cop out - I also feel that way about taking taxis. It'd be a different story if I were not fit and well, and I have never had the experience of missing out on a bed at the end of the day either. If I'd had a different experience, perhaps I'd feel differently!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"The Sarria crowd". It seems you haven't been noticing the posts advising not to be judgemental.
Geez Barbara, "The Sarria Crowd" is a reality. It means a lot of people start in Sarria. Some haven't the time for an extensive walk. Some haven't the physical capabilities for an extensive walk. Some are well behaved tourists. Unfortunately there are others who are loud and obnoxious. Little vans are parked along the way so people can jump on and off and one of those vans almost ran over me earlier this week. Some walk 4 or 5 abreast, and glare at a person who simply wants to go past them. There was the group of eleven who set up a tripod in the path and asked that the rest of us wait until they got thru with their photos. I don't paint them all with the same brush, but it is a crowd, anyway you look at it.

Of course not.

The often praised freedom to stop anywhere you like (if you carry your pack) is also a result of the enormous choice of available accommodation for the modern Camino peregrinos, literally every few kilometers on the popular stretches. Without these modern conveniences, we would have a lot less freedom of this kind.

And as to carrying ALL our worldly goods? It's very rare these days that peregrinos make all their possessions (house, car, etc) over to the Church before they go on a long-distance pilgrimage ....

Technically, I don't have any worldly possessions.

Something from my dim and distant past reminds me I endowed everything to my wife!("... with all my worldly goods I thee endow").

De Colores

Bogong

Personally I don't think that any able bodied person can walk the Camino and still call themselves a "pilgrim" if they don't carry their stuff with them. They're on a walking holiday and nothing more. That they choose to walk along a Camino route for their walking holiday is, IMHO, relevatory of a dubious character.

That's exactly the response I'd wrote to the OP.
Because nothing is really indispensable but the experience of having/carrying just a few basic things all the way is always very important to me personally. Many parallels to our usual daily lives also and not so hard way to learn how much (little) we really need ;)
I think anyone can and should do what they want, and I don't really care:p:) what others do.
BUT @KinkyOne 's post is one I agree with 100%. And every time I try to get a little bit lighter. Sometimes by getting something more hi-tec. More often by leaving something behind. Deliberately.

Personally I don't think that any able bodied person can walk the Camino and still call themselves a "pilgrim" if they don't carry their stuff with them. They're on a walking holiday and nothing more. That they choose to walk along a Camino route for their walking holiday is, IMHO, relevatory of a dubious character.

IMHO........Wow!

€46,-
Sorry, but there are rules in the Camino. Many.
They are clearly stated in our credentials. When I ask for it, I consider that I sign into a kind of "moral contract". Ditto for getting the Compostela, and for albergues (many hospitaleros actually ask you to read them carefully before entering dorms)
Yes, rules have to consider particular cases -that is why experienced hospitaleros and Pilgrim's staff at Compostela need some latitude and discretion. That does not mean that rules are "optional" or "just suggestions".
And there are civil and penal codes in Spain, evidently. You can't serve yourself grapes from a vineyard, even if there are not fences; or use a motorcycle where the Camino is marked as a pedestrian path.
On the other side, there are opinions -a lot. The need to carry (or not) your own backpack is just that -an opinion. You can accept it or not.

Last edited:
Well said...pilgrimage or walking holiday, the way you do it *does* make a difference( It's not a pilgrimage just because that's what you want to tweet to all your mates back home )

€46,-
I like the idea of carrying my pack as part of the challenge of the Camino, but even if I discard that idea, I can't see myself using a transport service for another reason: how do you know where to send your pack?

A particularly steep hill or a change in the weather can alter my plans during the course of a day, not to mention the possibility that there won't be a bed in the town I have in mind so I need to move along.

How do the pack-service pilgrims deal with those issues? Do they make advance reservations every day, and call a lot of taxis if things change?
I had my pack transported most days on the C.F. I made a reservation every day, whether I carried my pack or not. My plans/circumstances never changed enough to warrant cancelling a booking.

Not hard at all. And just two quick phone calls in the evening to make a reservation at your upcoming accommodation and to advise the transport company. The transport companies will understand enough of your English, as will most of the proprietors/hospitaleiros. You current host will usually be glad to make the call for you if you have very limited Spanish.
Can be useful in other ways as well. I left a small bag in my room at a hotel in Leon. After an hour on the trail I realised it was missing, phoned the transport company back and they picked it up for me. My backpack and the bag were waiting for me at the next town.

Last edited:
Right on, Simon.
It is a pilgrimage because of what is in your heart, not your pack.
Fair comment, but its not as simple as that, is it?
Getting someone else to carry your pack when you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself is cheating - and puts you on a walking holiday, not a pilgrimage.
That said, if you're not especially spiritually inclined, does it really matter ? ( other than for the previously mentioned cachet on the social media updates )

Please...lets not get into the whole who is a "real pilgrim" argument again, everyone walks their own Camino, not Brierley's, not mine, not anyone's on this forum, your own, and we should respect that, not try and convince people that they should do everything "my way" because its the right way.
You are, of course, right, let's not....but it's just a shame that certain opinions - i.e. "transporting your pack is OK" seem to be acceptable, and others i.e."transporting your pack (needlessly) is not OK" seem not to be...hmmm

Everyone walks their own Camino, not Brierley's, not mine, not anyone's on this forum, your own, and we should respect that, not try and convince people that they should do everything "my way" because its the right way.
This would imply they are walking and that they are walking a Camino when infact many are just holidaying on a route used and signed for Caminos. Setting foot on those routes does not mean one is on a Camino.

You are, of course, right, let's not....but it's just a shame that certain opinions - i.e. "transporting your pack is OK" seem to be acceptable, and others i.e."transporting your pack (needlessly) is not OK" seem not to be...hmmm
Add to that that the very small minority that have a physical reason to opt for transport are being used as an excuse to make this practice ok.

€46,-
A pilgrimage thus:
A pilgrimage is a journey or search of moral or spiritual significance. Typically, it is a journey to a shrine or other location of importance to a person's beliefs and faith, although sometimes it can be a metaphorical journey into someone's own beliefs.
Who are we to say what's in a person's heart when they walk the Camino or more importantly what's in their heart when they finish it or whether they should walk it at all.
As for the routes, most of them are tracks that connected towns and villages across rural Spain and are not all part of the original Camino.

Who are we to say what's in a person's heart when they walk the Camino or more importantly what's in their heart when they finish it or whether they should walk it at all.
You speak to them. No intent initially, not "seeing the light" at the end, not that they wanted to see it. Not "judging", just reporting. A walking holiday. An inexpensive walking holiday. For the vast majority of those out on the trail.

And especially when walking other routes than the Frances, but then it may be a matter of percentages: those looking for a religious/spiritual "experience" are so few and far between that on the lesser walked routes you may never encounter one.

Which doesn't mean we can't be respectful of the history, tradition and reason for these routes to exist and act accordingly, which we are seing less and less.

I wasn't aware that anyone was questioning the content of anyone's heart, or their faith/spirituality. I guess it's the element of personal sacrifice that is my "issue"
For some one who doesn't want to [ get into the whole who is a "real pilgrim" argument again ], you do seem overly concerned with getting your opinion across, btw !

You speak to them. No intent initially, not "seeing the light" at the end, not that they wanted to see it. Not "judging", just reporting. A walking holiday. An inexpensive walking holiday. For the vast majority of those out on the trail.

And especially when walking other routes than the Frances, but then it may be a matter of percentages: those looking for a religious/spiritual "experience" are so few and far between that on the lesser walked routes you may never encounter one.

Which doesn't mean we can't be respectful of the history, tradition and reason for these routes to exist and act accordingly, which we are seing less and less.
Awesome... :D

There are so many ways to make the Camino Pilgrimage, each with their own challenges: walk, bicycle, with a donkey, on a horse. With the last two, you can carry more stuff, but there is the added responsibility of having to find food and lodgings for them as well, as well as a farrier and veterinary services should the need arise. And, to be honest, I have no idea of the availability of such things on the trail. Whether to carry a backpack or not is up to the individual Walking tourist or Pilgrim is not my call: I don't know what they carry in their hearts and they don't know what I carry in mine. One of my friends simply could not get his head around the fact that I intended to carry my backpack, not have it transported from Albergue to Albergue.

In 2002, on second camino I had a camino miracle. Rabanal to Molineseca I became more and more ill. I had to be in Ponferrada that day to commence two week hospitalera stint. By Molineseca I was dead tired, sick, and burning up from Sun and fever. Out of nowhere JesusCristo and Jason happened along. Two hotel using backpack transporting pilgrims. They carried my pack, walked me to Ponferrada, found albergue, took pic, and left.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For some one who doesn't want to [ get into the whole who is a "real pilgrim" argument again ], you do seem overly concerned with getting your opinion across, btw !
I am not overly concerned to get my opinion across but I do have an opinion which I thought was as valid as anyone else's, but obviously not. I always try to strike a balance between the vast majority of people on here who do not have an issue with how others walk their Camino and the few who believe that their way is the only way.

I am not overly concerned to get my opinion across but I do have an opinion which I thought was as valid as anyone else's, but obviously not. I always try to strike a balance between the vast majority of people on here who do not have an issue with how others walk their Camino and the few who believe that their way is the only way.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's - just not more....

€46,-

I agree ! except for the dubious character part.... for the physically able it is more akin to a weak or soft character that struggling to carry a full sized backpack for hundreds of kilometers/miles just may strengthen and give a sense of purpose to. This may sound a bit contradictory, but as an atheist, I was literally blessed by doing the Camino along with my wife who shares the same non beliefs and carrying our heavy backpacks was a driving force behind it. We both had many revelations and questions presented to us by journeys end. I am confident in saying that had we taken the easy way we would have gained nothing. We are both stronger in character as well as body because of it. We are coming back in August 2017 to do it again(Frances) and in the spring of 2018 (Norte'). What sense of accomplishment or growth can one gain by taking the easy way and a pilgrimage is about growth isn't it?

If the Camino was easy, we would't have bothered traveling from the US to do it, we have beautiful beaches a few minutes away we could walk on and gaze upon beautiful sunsets, but we would have gained nothing. I guess if you ask a person who can accomplish something easily if it was hard ... I am sure their reply would be "It was nothing, it's not hard to do at all".

The hardships you endure, changes you along the WAY.
Buen Camino !

pilgrims.jpg
There were very few Mountain Equipment Co ops back then........

I say, bring the Jeep. Just make sure you ring the bell when passing walkers. :)

We had many people who sent their bags ahead and who were fit, we know we asked them, ask us why were carrying such heavy packs being in our 60's, the temptation was very great to do as they , but a Scripture verse of what Jesus said to Peter popped into my brain about temptation and the weaknesses of "men" Matthew 16:23 : "Satan, get behind me" . We resisted temptation, we trekked, we carried and we were rewarded, taking the easy way would have not provided such to us. Others are free to do as they wish, as we shall do too :)

Buen Camino Friend ! :)

Now I'm really curious: Why another Camino in Spain, why not the AT? Would you not gain even more? Besides saving on airfare?

We have family doing the Camino with us a second time and friends a third Camino (Norte' 2018) yes, the AT is on the list. The Patagonia too, but I dare say my wife is not to keen about that.

Having said that, the Camino was more than a trek/walk/hike ..for us it helped us to change in so many ways that I feel would not have happened on any trek. The hardships and the people on the Camino make it what it is. For me it was an eight week revelation and insight into myself.
:)

You speak wise words, Wayfarer.

Let each do their walk. As for "touristigrinos", I have so many times experienced persons starting out on a "cheap holiday", but upon arriving in Santiago, have gotten a completely new insight into their lives. Which is a good thing, and the Camino has done its work, once more... ;)

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.