• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That recipe - which one is yours?

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
During my sybaritic career (career as in uncontrolled descent) along the caminos I've encountered some astonishing food. Some of it was even edible if I was hungry enough. Some of it was truly astonishing. One dish, a loin of pork, sliced longitudinally to produce a sort of "open book" shape, stuffed with Morcilla de Burgos, re-rolled and roasted has lingered in my mind even though my taste-buds have lost it. So, only one solution:

IMG_1899.jpg

Anyone passing in the next hour or so is welcome to a slice ;)

Meanwhile, apart from Torte Santiago? What's yours?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One dish, a loin of pork, sliced longitudinally to produce a sort of "open book" shape, stuffed with Morcilla de Burgos, re-rolled and roasted has lingered in my mind even though my taste-buds have lost it.
I prefer the French paupiettes version of the same basic principle, including because they're made in many different versions. I particularly like the ones that are encased in slices of lard. And I can't remember what the Italian version is called, but I prefer that to the Spanish as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I prefer the French paupiettes version of the same basic principle, including because they're made in many different versions. I particularly like the ones that are encased in slices of lard. And I can't remember what the Italian version is called, but I prefer that to the Spanish as well.
Nah, neither can I but that thing with the beaten flat porky bit wrapped around a nugget of "it's not Mozzarella" and whacked on some hot griddle type thing......

Happiness is just a life style ;)

During my sybaritic career (career as in uncontrolled descent) along the caminos I've encountered some astonishing food. Some of it was even edible if I was hungry enough. Some of it was truly astonishing. One dish, a loin of pork, sliced longitudinally to produce a sort of "open book" shape, stuffed with Morcilla de Burgos, re-rolled and roasted has lingered in my mind even though my taste-buds have lost it. So, only one solution:

View attachment 162057

When too tired to reading the Menu - local bread with local cheese - heaven

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 162057

First, sybaritic, then careering down the slippery slope - oh no, they go together...then the meat, the salad tossing, and finally the Tarta de Santiago. There sure is no end to your cleverness, @Tincatinker 😇.
(Thanks for the light relief)
Next up (when did that phrase become acceptable? 🤔) @Bradypus pipes up with his Chaenomeles cathayensis... that keeps well for many months, years even, by the way.
Today, mine is dead simple. A fistful of Padrón peppers and a dash of Rioja. One on a plate, the other in a glass. Of course.

I know I may be common, but, tortilla. I can never cook it like they do, and some of the ones I saw on Camino were veritable masterpieces.
Most of us can't quite cook a Tortilla de Patatas like "they" do. Part of the problem is the potato variety: you need one that will hold some sort of integrity to the slice even though it is one slight shake from disintegration. Then you need to use loads, (no, no, much more than that) of Olive Oil to slowly (really slowly) fry the potato to the above referenced point. Then you add the potato, and yes all that lovely oil, to a bowl of beaten eggs (one egg for each potato), and a pinch of salt for each potato... And then you set the whole lot in a pan until its one third set. Then you turn it into a second pan until its one third set. Then you let it alone.

By my reckoning two - three years of weekly disasters will bring you to a point where you can figure that you've mastered Tortilla de Patatas and can smile as you turn one out for your guests: then, on your next trip to Spain you can pop into some scruffy cafe just half a block from the railway station and discover that you haven't even started

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First, sybaritic, then careering down the slippery slope - oh no, they go together...then the meat, the salad tossing, and finally the Tarta de Santiago. There sure is no end to your cleverness, @Tincatinker 😇.
(Thanks for the light relief)
Next up (when did that phrase become acceptable? 🤔) @Bradypus pipes up with his Chaenomeles cathayensis... that keeps well for many months, years even, by the way.
Today, mine is dead simple. A fistful of Padrón peppers and a dash of Rioja. One on a plate, the other in a glass. Of course.
My friend, do make sure you keep both in the correct order ;)

I've made a Catalan Galet (escudella de Nadal) soup a few times. Sadly I cannot find the right pasta shape locally, but I've made do with a semolina shell. It's delicious and with the -38C (-45C with windchlll !!!) temps we've been dealing with the last few days I think I should make it again soon.

Recipe here: http://barcelonablonde.com/2014/12/30/how-to-make-catalan-galet-soup-recipe/

Attachments

• 322370200_561936725448768_4353227934961383726_n.jpg
    322370200_561936725448768_4353227934961383726_n.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 79
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's out of the oven now - 220c for 10 minutes 180 c for about an hour. Centre temperature a nice 65c. Resting till the centre temp comes down to 55c or so. Just need to toss the salad. Oh I love tossing salad ;)
To be thoughtful, you really should provide Fahrenheit equivalents. Now I have to go into google and do the calculations myself. Stupid Americans!

250g of high protein white flour, 350g of whole grain flour, 350ml of water, 20g of fresh yeast. Mix half the flour with all the water, yeast and a pinch of sugar. Leave overnight. In the morning fold in the rest of the flour, knead, rest, knock back and knead again. Shape and leave to rise. Heat your oven to 220c at least. Hotter if it’ll go there. Put a tray of water on the oven bottom till you’ve a good head of steam. Cut Father, Son & Holy into your loaf and slide it into the oven. Mind the steam. It’ll bite you if it can. 45 minutes should do it but do pay attention. All ovens differ.

There are many that will tell you not to slice it till it’s cooled. I like to wait till the following day. Anticipation is part of the pleasure

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are many that will tell you not to slice it till it’s cooled. I like to wait till the following day. Anticipation is part of the pleasure
Here in the UK during both WW1 and WW2 bakers were not allowed to sell bread until it had been out of the oven for at least 12 hours. The theory being that it was then easier to slice without wastage. You may be even older than I imagined... :cool:

250g of high protein white flour, 350g of whole grain flour, 350ml of water, 20g of fresh yeast. Mix half the flour with all the water, yeast and a pinch of sugar. Leave overnight. In the morning fold in the rest of the flour, knead, rest, knock back and knead again. Shape and leave to rise. Heat your oven to 220c at least. Hotter if it’ll go there. Put a tray of water on the oven bottom till you’ve a good head of steam. Cut Father, Son & Holy into your loaf and slide it into the oven. Mind the steam. It’ll bite you if it can. 45 minutes should do it but do pay attention. All ovens differ.

OMG and now you are using grams and milileters? Too funny.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They surely as heck would not understand the units. And they also probably wouldn't even know how to use google.

Sorry this is not funny. This implies that senior people would not know how to use the internet or fail to understand units.
" Ageist humour" really does not belong here!!

Sorry this is not funny. This implies that senior people would not know how to use the internet or fail to understand units.
" Ageist humour" really does not belong here!!
OMG. You really seem to hate me.

And you obviously know nothing about American's struggle with with metric system, or my family.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OMG and now you are using grams and milileters? Too funny.
My people have been wandering westward for millennia. We’ve used weights and measures now lost to the Golden Horde, Byzantium and the Napoleonic code. The ratios of flour, water, salt and hope always remain the same.

As for temperatures:
Celsius to Fahrenheit Formula: (°C * 1.8) + 32 = °F

Fahrenheit to Celsius Formula: (°F - 32) / 1.8 = °C

An alternative interpretation of temperature scales that doesn’t rely on a couple of mittle-europas’ interpretations of reality is “too cold for a baby to too hot for a frog”

And really? You need Godgle? Isn’t just doing much more fun?

You might like to try: one cup of flour: one cup of sour milk; one spoon of butter; one pinch of salt. The ratios will always make a scone. The cook will be the one that bakes it 😉

Isn’t just doing much more fun?
Nah. I just like to plug it in. I could, but why?
I do not hate you. I merely disliked the general reference to seniors not knowing google etc.
I will leave it with this.
Buen Camino.
I do not believe there was any general reference to seniors. The post I responded to was about my grandmother and aunt.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Steady my lovelies please. Was just a whimsical post. Wasn’t set as a coach trip to yet another culture war. Yogurt and Kimchi can sort that out for themselves.

Meanwhile, the meat has gone. There was never a moment when I could get that SM shot of it in its freshly roasted: slightly sliced or even licked plate state. So, you’ll all just have to imagine how unctuous and evocative it was. I have no intention of posting an image of the contented, snoring, farting remnants currently cluttering my retiring room. At least they’ve had the decency to pass out while there’s still some wine in the bottle 😉

Steady my lovelies please. Was just a whimsical post. Wasn’t set as a coach trip to yet another culture war. Yogurt and Kimchi can sort that out for themselves.

Meanwhile, the meat has gone. There was never a moment when I could get that SM shot of it in its freshly roasted: slightly sliced or even licked plate state. So, you’ll all just have to imagine how unctuous and evocative it was. I have no intention of posting an image of the contented, snoring, farting remnants currently cluttering my retiring room. At least they’ve had the decency to pass out while there’s still some wine in the bottle 😉
Sorry. I just wanted old fashioned units. You are a fascinating dude.

Sorry. I just wanted old fashioned units. You are a fascinating dude.
1724 for Fahrenheit, 1742 for Celsius. How old fashioned do you want to get? You’re from a country where the pint and the gallon are entirely different volumes to those used in the UK. Napoleon, apart from being a megalomaniac arsehole, was also fed up with buying supplies for his armies in so many different units of trade that he couldn’t calculate the cost of success: the rest, as they say, is just history.

And, as a by the way, the reason an American gallon is only 90% of an English gallon? Tax. A tax extracted before delivery rather than after

You’re from a country where the pint and the gallon are entirely different volumes to those used in the UK.

Really? that sucks. For us in the USA, 1 gallon = 3.79 liters. I only know this because I used to market paint and sell to Canada.
so ma ny different units of trade
Darn straight.

Really? that sucks. For us in the USA, 1 gallon = 3.79 liters. I only know this because I used to market paint and sell to Canada.

Darn straight.
Whereas our suitably imperial gallon has a delicious 4.55 liters of loveliness in every drop. 😉

Does anyone have a recipe that might drag this thread back on track? Sorry, stupid question

Does anyone have a recipe that might drag this thread back on track? Sorry, stupid question
I'll bite. And provide something else to take some of the flak :) Posted this before. A friend pointed me towards a recipe for vegan tortilla. Sounds like an abomination but turned out to be quite pleasant. Different but pleasant.

PS: If you don't happen to have posh black salt lying about you can get a fairly good sulphurous egg effect using a little asafoetida instead.

1705184134761.png

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yogurt and Kimchi
Both delicious, just not together.

Is that why you moved to one of the last places on earth to adopt the SI system? :)
old fashioned units
Yeah.
Where I spend time, rice, oil, most kinds of food are sold by the viss. As best as I can tell it's about 1½kg.

Recipes? Take shishito peppers if you can't get the padron kind. Sear them in a hot cast iron pan with some olive oil, liberally add coarse salt...and yum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 162078View attachment 162079View attachment 162080View attachment 162081
Tarte de Santiago
Tortilla de Espanola
Caldo Gallego
Basque Cheesecake

I love to cook and try new recipes...

Gorgeous!

Your Basque cheesecake looks just like the one resto AMA in Tolosa makes.

Gorgeous!

Your Basque cheesecake looks just like the one resto AMA in Tolosa makes.

Beautiful, but very bad for you... I only make it for a crowd on holidays or a party due to the amount of cream, cream cheese, sugar, etc. I don't eat it myself as I don't like desserts, but Phil can usually eat what I don't to make up the difference.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most of us can't quite cook a Tortilla de Patatas like "they" do.
It's something that has to be taught to you.

I like tortilla de patatas a la Española, but I personally prefer it a la Catalana. Haven't made one in years though ...
Part of the problem is the potato variety
Not really, you just need ones that are old, but not quite old enough for baked or mashed potatoes. You *can* use younger potatoes at a pinch, but it won't be as good.
Then you need to use loads, (no, no, much more than that) of Olive Oil to slowly (really slowly) fry the potato to the above referenced point.
The trick really is to part boil them to the point where you can easily skin and dice them, then part fry them in olive oil (with the onions if you're using them, though onions should go into the pan before the diced potatoes), dump them into your bowl of eggs, mix gently with a wooden spoon, then let them finish cooking in the tortilla. You'll need less oil if you do it that way ...
and a pinch of salt for each potato...
How much salt and pepper will of course be to taste.
And then you set the whole lot in a pan until its one third set. Then you turn it into a second pan until its one third set. Then you let it alone.
If you're not waiting to eat it, and it's a la Española, best to cook it right through before serving it hot (though some Spaniards do like it runny inside).

If it's a la Catalana, you can definitely serve it when it's still runny inside, and if there are leftovers (or even just second helpings) they will be cooked through simply by the heat remaining in the omelette.

Last edited:
Back to food: I had Yemas de Santa Teresa after my Camino this last October. I think it was at the Parador in Avila which is gorgeous and very reasonably priced hotel IMO. For this recipe you will not only have to translate metric to imperial if you do not have a scale or metric measuring cups for liquids, but also Spanish to English! Enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first effort at cooking a tortilla was almost a disaster. I was rescued by a true native of Castilla and Leon, one of the most practical persons I have ever had the good fortune to meet. It would be pointless to offer the recipe. Of the how many members looking in at this thread, there will be umpty dump hundreds of methods for the best method, best taste... let me just say: it is almost impossible to ruin a tortilla.
What was it, in its first iteration?
Peasant food. Of which there are umpteen variations in every culinary culture. Far from culinary cultures were we reared! 🤣🤣🤣
That person gave me her recipe for what in English translates as caramel custard. I even have a specific dish for making it, but as the other person in my house does not like it...
if I find it before I forget about this thread I will share it! 😇

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By my reckoning two - three years of weekly disasters will bring you to a point where you can figure that you've mastered Tortilla de Patatas and can smile as you turn one out for your guests: then, on your next trip to Spain you can pop into some scruffy cafe just half a block from the railway station and discover that you haven't even started
Yep, exactly that!! Still..
let me just say: it is almost impossible to ruin a tortilla
I have had plenty of edible disasters, never yet has one gone straight in the bin! But I'm getting better, thanks to youtube! I can now knock up a reasonable, if run-of-the-mill spanish meal:

Chorizo al vino, ensalada rusa, tortilla de patatas, with bread, home cured olives, manchego and tomatoes..

Total prep and cooking, about 40 mins.
Total eating time, about 5 mins!!20231209_200050.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, exactly that!! Still..

I have had plenty of edible disasters, never yet has one gone straight in the bin! But I'm getting better, thanks to youtube! I can now knock up a reasonable, if run-of-the-mill spanish meal:

Chorizo al vino, ensalada rusa, tortilla de patatas, with bread, home cured olives, manchego and tomatoes..

Total prep and cooking, about 40 mins.
Total eating time, about 5 mins!!View attachment 162099
Do you cure your own olives? I'd love to learn how.

I looked at a few videos and came up with this combination method that worked very well:
After rinsing, I cut a slit in each one, then soaked in a big covered pot of water for about 10 days, changing the water every day (at the end of this stage, they are still totally unpalatable). I then made a brine solution, about a third cup of salt to two litres of water and soaked them for a further week in a sealed jar, agitating it every day. At the end if that they were quite edible if a bit salty. I rinsed them again and marinated them further in a good olive oil with dried mixed herbs and chili flakes and left for another 2 weeks. There were eaten over Christmas. It was just an experiment, but a fun one.

If I was trying it again , I would use the same process, but maybe just half as much salt. Also, I would find a better method to transport them, they bruise easily (I had a kilo bag of them, given to me, bouncing around tied to my pack for the last day and had to discard quite a few when I got home)..

Edited to add: in the oil/herbs marinade, I added a little balsamic vinegar, about 5%.
20231128_192018.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tell if you're being serious or purposely trolling at this point.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. I enjoy Damien's posts. He is a fun-loving forum member with a sense of humor, in addition to sharing his Camino experiences and advice at times. I notice he is also a donating forum member.

So far, my main attempts to recreate the tastes of Spain have been primarily: paella (or sometimes "arroz con cosas"), tortilla de patatas, gazpacho, and pan con tomate, For Christmas I got a nice 22" (55 cm) enamelled paella and the burner and stand to cook with it on.
Waiting for my invitation for the paella!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me. it's Caldo Gallego, tho' of course it's different every time I make it, as it was also different every time I ate it in Galicia. I've only made one Camino pilgrimage, but eating this soup every time I could was my mission for days. I envied the home gardens of greens (what are they called)? On this side of the pond, most folks seem to use kale, but I'm a fan of collards and I think they cook up more similarly to the proper greens. Today it's -10 degrees F in Missouri, USA (-23 C), so maybe I'll get cooking. It's still morning here...

For me. it's Caldo Gallego, tho' of course it's different every time I make it, as it was also different every time I ate it in Galicia. I've only made one Camino pilgrimage, but eating this soup every time I could was my mission for days. I envied the home gardens of greens (what are they called)? On this side of the pond, most folks seem to use kale, but I'm a fan of collards and I think they cook up more similarly to the proper greens. Today it's -10 degrees F in Missouri, USA (-23 C), so maybe I'll get cooking. It's still morning here...
Grelos, I believe they are called.

Interesting. Google translates word to turnip greens. I was told the tall stalks with green leaves in gardens were kale. I also read online that kale, turnip greens and collard greens can be substitued easily in soups.
I have read that dandelion greens are healthy and good, and am curious, but never quite brave enough to try them. Mostly because I remember as a kid how weird smelling the flower stems were when I picked a bunch. Anyone here used those before in cooking?

I have read that dandelion greens are healthy and good, and am curious, but never quite brave enough to try them. Mostly because I remember as a kid how weird smelling the flower stems were when I picked a bunch. Anyone here used those before in cooking?
Yes. Tend to be slightly bitter. Best soaked in cold water for a while first. Can add a little extra taste to a salad. Hardly worth cooking though as they are worse than spinach for reducing to a tiny green mess. You can also cook and eat the tap root or make an ersatz coffee substitute from it. Don't! :cool:

For me. it's Caldo Gallego, tho' of course it's different every time I make it, as it was also different every time I ate it in Galicia.
Today I invited my family to a good Pulpería here in Madrid and I ordered caldo to know how it was. As I supposed it was with chorizo and " invisible" vegetables ( grelos ?) to accomplish vegetable tolerance of Madrileño people. That is the normal thing for caldo galego in restaurants.

Has anybody mentioned pulpo? I like eating, but don’t like cooking. However next time I can get squid or octopus I will try pulpo, my favourite dish in Galicia.

€149,-
Has anybody mentioned pulpo? I like eating, but don’t like cooking. However next time I can get squid or octopus I will try pulpo, my favourite dish in Galicia.
In my local fishmonger, as well as frozen (and occasionally fresh) octopus, I can buy vacuum packed, fresh cooked octopus tentacles, making it quick and easy to do an acceptable pulpo a feira. Much better than stinking out the place prepping and boiling it for 40 minutes. Despite the sanitized and simplified process, I'm still the only one in my house who'll eat it.. too bad!

So many delicious memories!!! I'm getting hungry just reading this thread!
Caldo Gallego is a favorite -- especially now that the weather has turned frosty! After trying several recipes, I found one on La Tienda's website that I particularly like & has been well-received by the fam, my local American Pilgrims on the Camino potluck & a Super Bowl gathering. (recipe file attached but no pictures, sorry.) As noted in posts above, it seems to be a tad different each time I make it.

In between trips to Spain, I'm a big fan of La Tienda (based in Williamsburg, VA & online @ www.tienda.com/peregrino) for Spanish food and lots of great recipes. Started by a family with a deep love of Spain in 1996, they even give a portion of their house brand "Peregrino" sales to support the Camino.

Buen provecho!

Attachments

• Caldo Gallego.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 16

View attachment 162057

Not exactly a recipe. First Camino, approaching a small town, where the only albergue had pretty awful reviews. The plan was to book a room in a casa rural or similar. Unfortunately, when we tried to book for a Saturday night, it transpired that it was a local fiesta weekend and everything’s ‘completo’. The albergue it had to be and first impressions lived up (or down?) to the reviews. After the usual shower/laundry, we went to a local eatery for a snack, where we shared a rice dish that featured a local cheese. It was a revelation, creamy, ripe, pungent….a cheese lovers dream come true. Our introduction to the pleasure of Torta de Casar. Next day in the next town, we ordered a full cheese to share, nothing else, getting some rather odd looks from the waitress, who kindly explained that the best way to eat it was to use a teaspoon to spoon out the soft centre. The cheese arrived, a circle of rind containing an unctuous centre, with some crackers. It was divine, even better on its own with nothing to distract from its flavour, except maybe a glass of red. Salud!

I have two autumn traditions to create a little reminder of Spain. When there is a decent crop of sloes I make patxaran. And if my Chaenomeles cathayensis is feeling cooperative that year I make membrillo. :)

View attachment 162059
View attachment 162061
View attachment 162062
We make membrillo every year from the quinces off the quince tree on the allotment- here in N. Yorkshire lots of sloes make sloe gin every year - but Patxran how do you make that ❤️❤️❤️❤️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
but Patxran how do you make that ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Similar to sloe gin but I start with vodka rather than gin. Add sloes, star anise, a little cinnamon and a few coffee beans. Sometimes a little camomile. Let it all infuse for two or three months. Then filter out all the solids and add sugar to my taste (which is a bit less sweet than most commercial versions).

My favorites would be lentejas con chorizo, the pimientos asados, and tinto de Verano. That soup, heavy on protein from the lentils and flavor from the chorizo, and somewhere along the middle of my camino, was something I began to crave as I walked into a town. When I got home I scoured recipes, testing and tweaking them until I had something that was as close to what I ate there as possible. I'm a big salad girl, but the typical salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, green olives, sometimes corn, and tuna fish didn't cut it for me, so when I found the roasted peppers, it satisfied my fresh veggie need. And the tinto de verano, because it's just so refreshing. I would kill to be able to get KAS limon soda here so I could make it properly!

I realised an hour or so ago I had actually posted this last year, but here it is again...
Flan. A friend from Pamplona came to visit, bearing the lightest of gifts: a flan dish, old fashioned aluminium. Weight is negligible, and it is the preferred material to produce a satisfactory outcome.
With the gift was a verbal recipe. Four eggs, and add about 450ccs of milk. Beat. Add sugar to taste. I used about five dessert spoons. Grate a little lemon rind into it.
Put about two and a half spoons of sugar into the flan dish. Don't fret about which size of spoon. Practice makes perfect Heat slowly on stove till dissolved. Swirl around the dish, aiming to coat the dish maybe up to half its height. When it begins to smell caramelised, after giving the egg mixture an extra wee swirl with the beater, pour egg mixture into the flan dish which you have just placed in a big wide pot of simmering water. This is basically the bain-marie idea. Cover the flan dish, and the pot, and simmer for around fifteen minutes. Check with a prong, it has to be dry.. turn heat off, and when possible, remove flan dish from pot. When cold enough, place in fridge. When fully cold, place a plate so the flan dish can be upended on it, tap the dish, or slide a smooth knife around the flan, and there you have it. If you prefer no sugar, sorry... I should maybe have included a health warning? Enjoy.
I know others will have different recipes, share away.

I love to cook but lack the skills to make successful cakes or pastries. If I did, the candied-fruit topped Coca de Sant Joan would be our choice! It's especially good when filled with custard. Here is one in Leon which barely lasted this photo. Pastas Beatriz in Pamplona also makes a small muffin version, perfect to eat while walking.
leon tarta.jpg

I can't tell if you're being serious or purposely trolling at this point.
I'm sorry. Sometimes my attempts at humor are funnier in my head than it is to other people's eyes. I was trying to make fun of how the USA is so antiquated with our units of measure. I personally have to do math in my head every time someone says grams, meters, or liters or kilometers. It's just not intuitive for me. Sometimes, when I tell a story, I'm like it was like 73 degrees outside and anyone not from the USA looks at me in horror and disbelief. Then I realize my mistake and say "oh it was like 20 something."

Again, I don't mean any disrespect...

I fly back tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love to cook but lack the skills to make successful cakes or pastries. If I did, the candied-fruit topped Coca de Sant Joan would be our choice! It's especially good when filled with custard. Here is one in Leon which barely lasted this photo. Pastas Beatriz in Pamplona also makes a small muffin version, perfect to eat while walking.
View attachment 162137

Oh that one I must try.
" candied fruit and/or pearl sugar" says the recipe. I guess " or " will be sufficient 🍰🤣.

What have you added to give that tasty looking sauce. ?

The ingredients are: Beef meat, chorizo, onions, garlic, chili, tomato passata, dark lager beer, beef broth, water, bay leaves, green olives, white beans/butter beans, olive oil & butter, salt & peppercorns.

And yes, the sauce is very tasty and ideal for dipping a piece of rustic bread into 😋

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And back at the ranch

...life goes on. Camino or no camino...Just add some lovely cheese, try to source some delicious membrillo, a dash of whatever in a glass, and you are all set.
My wife brought home a pack of reduced price hot cross buns from the supermarket today. Crossed my mind that the dried fruit and spices might go well with my homemade membrillo and some cheese. Don't have any Spanish cheese handy but I do have a fairly sharp Cheddar. Turns out to be a good combination! :cool:

IMG_20240115_201852.jpg

This morning we had Double Chocolate Croissants. Peg got a frozen pack of them from a friend at Christmas, Trader Joe's brand. Let them rise overnight and bake (Peg used an air fryer).

In order of frequency during any year:

- Blistered Padron peppers (though I have to use Shishito)
- Lentejas
- Caldo Gallego
- Chorizo al Vino
(though often just Embutidos al Vino, Debrecziner is a good stand-in)
- Tortilla

As required, I will also make a Shrimp Salad or "Tuna Melt" variant, both learned around Finisterre.

[Edit: Hmmm... I just noticed that I am no longer of "donating" status. I did not get a reminder but will have to rectify tomorrow as I am now almost overdue for an evening appointment.]

After all this, on Saturday morning I plan to make a tortilla. Without onion. Just because. In fact, I will make two, one with onion. Visitors coming. I will do the lazy part by buying supermarket coleslaw salads, plus some fresh lettuce and tomatoes. I have wonderful balsamic modena vinegar.
I might even get energetic and make a flan, though eggs feature again. Recipe in my previous post.

After all this, on Saturday morning I plan to make a tortilla. Without onion. Just because. In fact, I will make two, one with onion. Visitors coming. I will do the lazy part by buying supermarket coleslaw salads, plus some fresh lettuce and tomatoes. I have wonderful balsamic modena vinegar.
I might even get energetic and make a flan, though eggs feature again. Recipe in my previous post.
Tortilla without onion!!!???

I used to like you, young lady, but this is beyond the pale! ;)

Kirkie,

Our weather, east of the Cascades, is colder than a politician's heart.

-18 C as I type. (I got up early to feed the woodstove. 😬)

BTW, "my people" come from "beyond the Pale" so I can use it. Even so, I think even they would never approve of the barbarism implicit in making a tortilla without onion. So, with no regret whatsoever, I have forwarded your name to Santa for top listing on 2024's naughty list. (You'll be fine. Just two weeks into the New Year and I see far worse transgressors everywhere.)

B

An update - just finished straining and filtering last autumn's batch of patxaran. Quite pleased with the 2023 vintage. May have been a little too heavy-handed with the sugar but I'll force it down somehow.... A generous friend gave me a bottle of Penderyn Welsh whisky as a Christmas present. The bottle was too pretty to waste and is now my patxaran decanter. :)

IMG_20240127_120248.jpg

PS: I should be able to top up the bottle from time to time.
IMG_20240127_123613.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An update - just finished straining and filtering last autumn's batch of patxaran. Quite pleased with the 2023 vintage. May have been a little too heavy-handed with the sugar but I'll force it down somehow.... A generous friend gave me a bottle of Penderyn Welsh whisky as a Christmas present. The bottle was too pretty to waste and is now my patxaran decanter. :)

View attachment 162722

PS: I should be able top up the bottle from time to time.
View attachment 162724
Really a beautiful color!

You've all inspired me to make a batch of Caldo Gallego today. A photo when its done later. Sadly I have no grelos. Collards will have to do...

My 2 favorites in any albergue with a kitchen:

1) A large rich omelette (proteins for next day) with chopped chorizo, chopped onions, and maybe spring onions. Fresh bread and Rioja as side orders.

2) A vegetable soup (bag, adding water) with chopped chorizo, lots of chick peas (proteins for next day), and fresh bread and Rioja as side orders.

As you can understand, I love chorio and Rioja (not necessarily in that order...). :cool:

At home, I now and then make me tortilla (with chorizo and chopped onions of course). Fresh bread and Rioja as side orders. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.