• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Dating

Have you ever experienced romance on the Camino?

• Yes, still together

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Yes, but it is all a memory now

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Nope, happily married

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Nope, I prefer solitude

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • I am still hoping

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Not a very serious topic, but I just realised how ideal it would be to find romance on the Camino. A fellow pilgrim seems like the perfect match: he likes walking, he likes Spain, he does his own laundry, he gets up early, he shares similar pilgrim values, he doesn't care too much about luxury...

But instead of developing a dating app for pilgrims, it might just be better to let the Camino provide and to accept that you get what you need and not what you want. 😅

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was 27/28 I asked God to send me a man: named Ken (to my Barbara/Barbie), 6’2”, 190lbs, single, well-educated, never-married, no children.

When I was 40 on my second camino I met him in Roncesvalles at the pilgrim’s dinner. He lived on east side of Central Park in NYC, I resided on the west. Ken had every box checked.

However, he was a Jesuit Catholic priest at table with two other priests. By Santiago I met three more Catholic priests and a Bishop from Germany.

God’s got jokes!

So, I guess I am still hoping.

BTW: In 2014, camino number four, I witnessed a young German woman and American guy meet, and fall in love. They married a year after meeting and have a little girl. I have lost touch with them. Pray all is well in their lives.

Not a very serious topic, but I just realised how ideal it would be to find romance on the Camino. A fellow pilgrim seems like the perfect match: he likes walking, he likes Spain, he does his own laundry, he gets up early, he shares similar pilgrim values, he doesn't care too much about luxury...

But instead of developing a dating app for pilgrims, it might just be better to let the Camino provide and to accept that you get what you need and not what you want. 😅
¨He¨?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well I definitely didn't go on the Camino looking for love, and there was nothing at the end, but there might have been something in between.

But yes, I share the romanticism of finding love on the Camino, and why not, and some do.

I blogged my Camino for family and friends, and some of the posts that generated the most laughs were me jokingly talking about a Pilgrim Tinder dating app I was developing with various additional pilgrim-centric swipe functionality.

I did mention the Camino on my online dating profile and folks would often mention it when messaging me generally along the lines ‘I would like to do that’. In fact it acted as a good ‘filter’ to see if we we were potentially suited. Some nearly fainted when I mentioned dorms and communal bathrooms and some seemed as they may embrace it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well I definitely didn't go on the Camino looking for love, and there was nothing at the end, but there might have been something in between.

But yes, I share the romanticism of finding love on the Camino, and why not, and some do.

I blogged my Camino for family and friends, and some of the posts that generated the most laughs were me jokingly talking about a Pilgrim Tinder dating app I was developing with various additional pilgrim-centric swipe functionality.
I have thought about that too!!! Even the economic benefits (sharing a private room costs) may get a few people interested.

Not meeting on Camino but one year I met a young Texican couple. Good upbringing, good schools, perfect teeth, etc (oh, and they were really good, intelligent, positive, and nice people too). They had been childhood sweethearts .. did school together .. college together .. and then were going to get married but the chap drew back and when she asked why he said that they had had stress-free rather perfect lives so how could they possibly know how they would get on in a marriage, together all the time, in possibly stressful situations - so they decided to find out by doing a Camino together - from St Jean.

When I met them on Camino and heard their story, two years after their 'test' Camino - they had married and were back, from St Jean again - they had chosen that second Camino as their honeymoon. Awww.

I found that pretty romantic.

Note: expect to see their children on Camino in a few years ;)

Luka - can we also have a 'nope' on that list?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have thought about that too!!! Even the economic benefits (sharing a private room costs) may get a few people interested.
True. A Bumble kind of app could work. You could look for all kind of things: pilgrims to share a room with, pilgrims to walk with, fellow vegetarian pilgrims to have lunch of cook with, pilgrims to practice your Spanish (or any other language) with and well... if that app is there anyway, you might as well add a meeting option for single pilgrims... 😁

Having trawled through my blog I have found some of my Pilgrim Tinder ramblings!!

Please note this is NOT intended to cause any offence to anyone and is merely a creation of my very bad sense of humour.

"This got me thinking about my pilgrim tinder
©️
app thing, and I came to the conclusion that you really need 3 potential options as the pilgrims come at you. Obviously swipe right for the really cool interesting and potentially compatible (if you're hypothetically on the Camino to find love - which I'M NOT), then for just people in general who you don't really want to chat to you swipe them left. Now, I'd spent a lot of time the previous day on my 5 hour detour worrying about what you do with the other people who you really like, are really interesting to talk to, but obviously they aren't a swipe right. I was worrying that my new app might make people using it look shallow and very un-pilgrim like. So introducing to my pilgrim tinder
©️
app the new functionality of SWIPE UP, yes anyone who you really like but not in a swipe right kinda way you can now swipe up. The idea is that this kind of means you really like them in a spiritual way and hope they go to heaven (or where it is they believe in, and obviously not immediately the minute you swipe up)."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There was a thread on a similar topic about 5 years ago and I wrote about my story then. We did ‘find each other’ on the Camino. But I can’t vote yes for #1. Ours was a camino friendship, not a romance. That came later.

Post in thread 'Tales of love found on the Camino??'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-love-found-on-the-camino.55188/post-620013

But I can’t imagine setting out on a camino looking for love or a relationship of any kind. The idea was certainly not in my mind, or his. Yet, almost 10 years later, we are still together and happily married. As I wrote in the earlier thread, the Camino has given me many gifts, but none so wonderful or entirely unexpected. ❤

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t done my first Camino yet (it will be in August of this year), but I certainly wouldn’t mind finding romance…but it’s complicated.

I lost my SO to cancer 10 years ago, and I’ve been grieving since then, but it’s time to find a way to move on. I’m doing much better these days, and I feel better to the point that it’s time to open up to others.

I’ve always been shy, introverted, and dating has always been too awkward for me. I’m not into bars, and I’ve heard too many horror stories about dating apps that I’d rather not go that route.

While my Camino’s focus is about healing and learning to move on, and romance is not my main priority, I do think a situation like these, where I get to meet people from all backgrounds might help me learn how to navigate social interactions, and, who knows? Meeting the love of my life under those circumstances would probably be more organic than conventional dating, and maybe more successful. I might not get a long term relationship out of the experience, but at least I might get better about breaking the ice.

I also trying to figure out how much or how little to share about my past life with other people, because it’s a bit turbulent and complicated. I want to learn to feel comfortable with people’s reactions, whether positive or negative.

I do think that, if I am successful in completing the Camino, that would boost my confidence, and yes, there’s an allure to being a pilgrim that has walked across Spain with just a backpack. I might even try out a dating app just so I can put that in my profile! But in all seriousness, what I am more hopeful is to have the opportunity to have interesting, meaningful conversations with fellow pilgrims, get new perspectives, learn something, and enrich my life, while hopefully contributing something good to others with whom I might cross paths.

So, we’ll see how it goes. I hope I can learn to avoid expectations while at the same time being open to whatever happens.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmn...I don't really see it. I'm sweaty and wearing the same clothes day after day. I am sleeping in a dorm with a lot of other people. I'm not worried about being attractive and I don't usually find others physically attractive either in this setting. People are nice and I enjoy talking with them, but some don't bathe themselves or their clothing often enough for me to want to get closer.

Phil and I make time for romance in our lives, but on the Camino that isn't usually an intimate date until maybe the end of the trip or a pre-planned overnight at a Paradore for our anniversary enroute or something. Volunteering at an albergue two weeks and then walking a couple of hundred miles does not really lend itself to a romance novella for me.

On our first Camino my daughter met "a handsome French man." Two years later he proposed at Finestere at the end of our Portuguese Camino. They married the following year. A year ago Julien walked the Camino Mozarabe with my wife and me. (He is fluent in Spanish and English.) This past October we walked together on the Chemin Arles and the Camino Aragones. The Camino wonderfully provided. Buen Camino

€46,-
Having trawled through my blog I have found some of my Pilgrim Tinder ramblings!!

Please note this is NOT intended to cause any offence to anyone and is merely a creation of my very bad sense of humour.

"This got me thinking about my pilgrim tinder
©️
app thing, and I came to the conclusion that you really need 3 potential options as the pilgrims come at you. Obviously swipe right for the really cool interesting and potentially compatible (if you're hypothetically on the Camino to find love - which I'M NOT), then for just people in general who you don't really want to chat to you swipe them left. Now, I'd spent a lot of time the previous day on my 5 hour detour worrying about what you do with the other people who you really like, are really interesting to talk to, but obviously they aren't a swipe right. I was worrying that my new app might make people using it look shallow and very un-pilgrim like. So introducing to my pilgrim tinder
©️
app the new functionality of SWIPE UP, yes anyone who you really like but not in a swipe right kinda way you can now swipe up. The idea is that this kind of means you really like them in a spiritual way and hope they go to heaven (or where it is they believe in, and obviously not immediately the minute you swipe up)."
Anyone who has used a dating app will know that you often swipe right when you mean to swipe left and vice versa so adding a third option in maybe a recipe for disaster !

It's rare -- but just occasionally, pilgrims do find each other along the Way.
I saw this happen on my first Camino. We sometimes were staying at the same albergue as a young, very attractive gal with an interesting Bohemian style of clothing. Other times in various albergues we saw a handsome young man with a definite hippie "look". Finally after weeks, we saw them together in Santiago a few times, strolling hand in hand; they had "found" each other and became a couple. I have no idea how, or if, their lives evolved afterward, but they looked so cute together.

Hmmn...I don't really see it. I'm sweaty and wearing the same clothes day after day. I am sleeping in a dorm with a lot of other people. I'm not worried about being attractive and I don't usually find others physically attractive either in this setting. People are nice and I enjoy talking with them, but some don't bathe themselves or their clothing often enough for me to want to get closer.

Phil and I make time for romance in our lives, but on the Camino that isn't usually an intimate date until maybe the end of the trip or a pre-planned overnight at a Paradore for our anniversary enroute or something. Volunteering at an albergue two weeks and then walking a couple of hundred miles does not really lend itself to a romance novella for me.
Oh you can meet folks anywhere!! I once met a girl when I was at the top of Mount Vesuvius overlooking the crater. I was just off an overnight train in old clothes! She was behind me gasping for breath as she had walked more than she normally does. I asked her if she was ok. We were both from London so had a chat and the went separate ways. Back down on the ground she on the with a huge suitcase (she was changing hotels), so I helped her with it and we went for a few drinks and dated a few times after. I guess I should have realised that her being out of breath after a short walk meant she wasn’t for me!

.I don't really see it. I'm sweaty and wearing the same clothes day after day. I am sleeping in a dorm with a lot of other people. I'm not worried about being attractive
Sounds like the perfect way to get to know someone and have a connection that's more than superficial.

Sounds like the perfect way to get to know someone and have a connection that's more than superficial.
From my own experience I very much agree. And *he* and I have often said as much. Sweaty clothes, muddy clothes, same clothes, albergue living, all the ups and downs, the falling down, the fatigue, the tears (mine) … and on it goes. And that’s even before the language barrier and cultural differences. It would be safe to say there was nothing remotely attractive about either of us from the outside. 😎

PS. We feel very blessed that we met and got to know each other in the way that we did. I suspect that our friendship, and the love we found later, would not have happened if either of us were ‘looking for love’ on the camino.

€46,-
There was a thread on a similar topic about 5 years ago and I wrote about my story then. We did ‘find each other’ on the Camino. But I can’t vote yes for #1. Ours was a camino friendship, not a romance. That came later.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-love-found-on-the-camino.55188/post-620013

But I can’t imagine setting out on a camino looking for love or a relationship of any kind. The idea was certainly not in my mind, or his. Yet, almost 10 years later, we are still together and happily married. As I wrote in the earlier thread, the Camino has given me many gifts, but none so wonderful or entirely unexpected. ❤
Aaahhh, you should have voted for the 1st option! In the end you met on the Camino, right?

While my Camino’s focus is about healing and learning to move on, and romance is not my main priority, I do think a situation like these, where I get to meet people from all backgrounds might help me learn how to navigate social interactions, and, who knows? Meeting the love of my life under those circumstances would probably be more organic than conventional dating, and maybe more successful. I might not get a long term relationship out of the experience, but at least I might get better about breaking the ice.

So, we’ll see how it goes. I hope I can learn to avoid expectations while at the same time being open to whatever happens.
Couldn't agree more :)
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like @HBS60, I lost my wife to cancer. Which, ironically, led me to the Camino. (I say ironically because it transpired that she knew about, and was interested in, the Camino- I’d never heard of it)

Am I seeking romance? Nope.

Am I open to it? Heck yes. And if it was someone who shares my newfound passion - 🤩

€46,-
Exactly. And if you like each other in sweaty pilgrims clothes, you don't have to worry much about what to wear anymore... 😁
After getting to know each other while walking on two Caminos, we decided we wanted to try to build a shared life. A few months later, when *he* first came to ‘the other end of the world’, as he described it, I was wearing a summer dress and sandals, my hair was clean AND brushed, I even had eyeliner and lip gloss. Then I thought - how will he recognise me? Maybe I need to hold up one of those signs you see at the airport. But, I didn’t hold up a sign and he did recognise me. 😍

After getting to know each other while walking on two Caminos, we decided we wanted to try to build a shared life. A few months later, when *he* first came to ‘the other end of the world’, as he described it, I was wearing a dress and sandals, my hair was clean AND brushed, I even had eyeliner and lip gloss. Then I thought - how will he recognise me? Maybe I need to hold up one of those signs you see at the airport. But, I didn’t hold up a sign and he did recognise me. 😍
He was still in his pilgrim gear I guess ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not a very serious topic, but I just realised how ideal it would be to find romance on the Camino.

The Romance-A-Grino Camino.
To be eligible for a Compostela, a Romance-A-Grino must have walked 880 consecutive kilometers while making continuing progress to Santiago de Compostela along an established and accepted route. The Romance-a-grino Credencial must have 6 sellos/stamps per day beginning with day 1.

Ivar's Store sells a special edition "Romance-a-grino Credencial" for only 2 Euros, plus VAT and shipping. It is strongly suggested to also purchase the accessory elastic strap to go along with it as keeping this 50-meter long document neatly folded while walking can be a bit fussy.

Ivar does include the Romance-a-grino Credencial free of charge with the purchase of the 2024 updated guide, "Of Blisters, Chocolates, and Condoms: The Love Boat Camino Frances.

At journey's end and having arrived in Santiago de Compostela, the Romance-A-Grino will line up for their Compostela at the Pilgrim Office. When finally standing at the reception counter, the assigned volunteer will ask the reason for your journey: "Was it for Religious, Spiritual, Cultural, or Matchmaking purposes".

The Credencial has no fee. However, after receiving your Credencial there is a separate area where you have the chance to purchase souvenir certificates suitable for framing that also match the look of your Credential. For only 12 Euro, the Romance-A-Grino can purchase a special Souvenir Package consisting of both a Distance Certificate and a 'Body Count' certificate.
:D:D:p

Is there an option for just ‘married’?
Yes, that modifier raised complicated philosophical questions that stopped me from answering!

I am worried why you are not going with the "Happily married" option
No need to worry. After 40 or 50 years together, one realizes that things are not so simple.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven’t done my first Camino yet (it will be in August of this year), but I certainly wouldn’t mind finding romance…but it’s complicated.

I lost my SO to cancer 10 years ago, and I’ve been grieving since then, but it’s time to find a way to move on. I’m doing much better these days, and I feel better to the point that it’s time to open up to others.

I’ve always been shy, introverted, and dating has always been too awkward for me. I’m not into bars, and I’ve heard too many horror stories about dating apps that I’d rather not go that route.

I also trying to figure out how much or how little to share about my past life with other people, because it’s a bit turbulent and complicated. I want to learn to feel comfortable with people’s reactions, whether positive or negative.

I do think that, if I am successful in completing the Camino, that would boost my confidence, and yes, there’s an allure to being a pilgrim that has walked across Spain with just a backpack. I might even try out a dating app just so I can put that in my profile! But in all seriousness, what I am more hopeful is to have the opportunity to have interesting, meaningful conversations with fellow pilgrims, get new perspectives, learn something, and enrich my life, while hopefully contributing something good to others with whom I might cross paths.

It would appear we are in the same club. Lost my first wife in 2001, reconnected with my high school sweetheart 2 years later and had the absolute best years of my life, but she finally passed last year in 23. Both to cancer.
For me? The Camino is a new chapter, and I am framing it as a "new adventure" along with the rest i hope to accomplish. I think the more you open up, the more surprised you will be with people. At least on the Camino, as most people are soul searching there as well.

And while you are on your Camino? what else? What other adventure can you have, when? Where? And get those gears turning. For me? i have a bucket list a mile long that i hope to see. But for now? One day at a time. See what the Camino offers. I am doing my best to put my expectations aside and just see what happens. Kind of like jumping off the high dive into the pool.. exciting, scary, thrilling and sploosh.. a lot of fun.

Buen Camino!

While walking the Camino in 2017, I met a lady from Ireland who, while walking as a pilgrim about 2 years prior, fell in love with a Spanish man. I have encountered her on every trip to Spain since then. Last year when I met her for the 6th time, she announced they were finally getting married....and it would be wonderful if I could come to the wedding. I interrupted my walk the following week to travel back and attend her wedding. Coincidentally, that couple lives in the same village where Taylor Estevez, while traveling the Camino with his grandfather, met his wife-to-be. Taylor asked his father, Emilio, to make a movie about the Camino, and you know the way that went.....

I met a man on the Camino. We just kind of ended up walking together after Rabanal. I had just walked the Meseta alone so I was happy, but somewhat reluctant, to have company. By the time we got to Triacastela we were “coupled up”. Being the fiercely independent person I am, I was insistent I was spending my final day walking alone. I wanted to walk into Santiago alone, just like how I started in Saint Jean alone. By the time we got to O’Pedrouzo we were annoyed with each other and stayed in separate places. I walked my last day alone, and I was really sad and lonely. We reconnected, as friends, back in Santiago after we both walked to Finisterre separately. We had lunch at the monastery. We remain friends and met up at a pub in London a few years ago. And last year when I walked the Portuguese and was having a tough time, I reached out to him and his encouragement helped me through.

(Fundamentally, this relationship would never have worked because he was British and hated the way Americans, like me, pronounced his name.)

I think it's actually an interesting topic. Well done on the Poll.

Though another Poll on the flip side might be good to.

"If you walked with your Partner, are you still together"?

Pat and I joked prior to our first Camino together, that we did not want to end up like that couple featured in a story here. On opposite sides of the road in a village, hurling their packs and insults across the road at each other! :oops:

We got close a couple of times............... ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

That is also an interesting question, haha! I would add a couple of variants to 'partner' (friend, family member, inlaws...) and then ask if you arrived in Santiago with the same person/people you set out with... 😁

True. A Bumble kind of app could work. You could look for all kind of things: pilgrims to share a room with, pilgrims to walk with, fellow vegetarian pilgrims to have lunch of cook with, pilgrims to practice your Spanish (or any other language) with and well... if that app is there anyway, you might as well add a meeting option for single pilgrims... 😁
I have met a couple of "couples" who were walking and staying together because it was convenient and useful (one of each pair had strong Spanish language skills).

I don't know if they were romantically connected as I never asked as it was none of my business but in both cases at least one of each pair was married to someone else.

I generally stay in shared room albergues and that environment isn't generally conducive to romance because there is very little privacy.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, that's all very sweet (mostly) All I would ask is that if romance develops into action would you please get a room, I once spent some considerable time as a hospi calming a "situation" involving inappropriate behaviour in a bunkroom and an elderly unwilling observer who was trying to have a siesta.

I had someone propose marriage to me once on one trip but you would need to buy me more than three four glasses of wine before I told you the full story about how that transpired and how it ended.
If emojis count we can all chip in and top four easily. Spill the beans!

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go stay in Casa Susi in Trabadelo and you'll hear a very romantic story of how Susi and Fermin met on the Camino, (Susi owned the Albergue, Fermin was walking it as a pilgrim). The story goes he stayed there one night then on the next day he couldn't find accommodation in the next town, he rang Susi, who collected him and brought him back where he's been ever since.

I should add they are fantastic hosts and its a lovely albergue, they serve truly great food as well. I think like all things if you go looking for love on the Camino you might be disappointed, but if it develops organically, then that's another story.

The Camino I've found is like an accelerated form of romance, if it develops because you spend so much time with that person that you cover a lot of ground in getting to know each other in such a short space of time.

Go stay in Casa Susi in Trabadelo and you'll hear a very romantic story of how Susi and Fermin met on the Camino, (Susi owned the Albergue, Fermin was walking it as a pilgrim). The story goes he stayed there one night then on the next day he couldn't find accommodation in the next town, he rang Susi, who collected him and brought him back where he's been ever since.
I know a similar (very recent) story about Anna, the owner of albergue Aves de Paso on the Norte. She took that albergue over last year. A couple of months into her first season there was a spark between her and a pilgrim who stayed there. This second season they are running the albergue together. 😊

€60,-

I would imagine a lot of people do the Camino for the opposite reasons, to get away from relationships🤣🤣🤣. Seriously though, having a few weeks just to yourself without any obligations is a rarity, why would you waste that on extra baggage...

I met a couple who found love on the Camino Frances in October 2018, a young German man (whose name I can’t remember) and an Australian lady called Maria. They walked with an American man named Lee. There was a bit of an age gap between them but that made them all the more endearing as a couple. I often wonder what happened to them????

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have thought about writing our Camino love story, IMG_6319.jpegthis gives me the perfect opportunity. On May 1st, 2023 I was walking ( my 3rd) just out of Ledigos when Dudley came up from behind and we started the usual conversation, where are you from? He San Diego Ca, me Ojai Ca 180 miles apart😊we walked to Sahagun where we quite accidentally wound up sharing a room! The next morning I took the train to Leon, he kept walking. It took him 10 days to catch up to me in Samos! The next day we walked together to Barbedelo, I fell in love over a bowl of lentil soup. We walked to Santiago together where I had a medical emergency and he was there to take care of me. He changed his flight so he could make sure I got back to LA safely. We carried on a long ( actually pretty short) distance relationship for 5 months after which I quit my job and moved to live with him in San Diego. As i write this we are sitting in bed drinking our coffee and preparing for our Portuguese Camino starting April 16, hoping to be in Santiago on our 1year meeting anniversary. Heres our pic at the 100 km marker, we were the “ cute” old couple!

Last edited:
I have thought about writing our Camino love story, View attachment 167019this gives me the perfect opportunity. On May 1st, 2023 I was walking ( my 3rd) just out of Ledigos when Dudley came up from behind and we started the usual conversation, where are you from? He San Diego Ca, me Ojai Ca 180 miles apart😊we walked to Sahagun where we quite accidentally wound up sharing a room! The next morning I took the train to Leon, he kept walking. It took him 10 days to catch up to me in Samos! The next day we walked together to Barbedelo, I fell in love over a bowl of lentil soup. We walked to Santiago together where I had a medical emergency and he was there to take care of me. He changed his flight so he could make sure I got back to LA safely. We carried on a long ( actually pretty short) distance relationship for 5 months after which I quit my job and moved to live with him in San Diego. As i write this we are sitting in bed drinking our coffee and preparing for our Portuguese Camino starting April 16, hoping to be in Santiago on our 1year meeting anniversary. Heres our pic outside of Melide, we were the “ cute” old couple!
This is amazing!!! Clearly meant to be. Thank you for sharing!!

How wonderful @Caligal and Dudley. A lovely photo. Welcome to the (small?) club. 😍 The serendipity of meeting is one thing - but when someone touches your heart, it’s the willingness to step forward (like changing your flight to support an injured friend) and the courage to take a risk (like moving cities or countries) that makes a shared future possible. Happy anniversary. Our anniversary of meeting is coming up in April too - 10 years. Love your story. ❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would appear we are in the same club. Lost my first wife in 2001, reconnected with my high school sweetheart 2 years later
It was in Spain (as hospitalero) that it seemed like God was saying that it was time to stop nursing the pain of losing my wife eight years earlier. My response was, “OK, but if You want me to re-marry, You have to arrange it.” I kept the whole matter to myself. Upon arriving back in the USA, I opened one of my storage boxes, and right on top was a letter from the girl I had lost track of 45 years earlier. I was back in Spain when I proposed by telephone, married in Oregon three months later and returned to Spain for a sort of “honeymoon."

I would imagine a lot of people do the Camino for the opposite reasons, to get away from relationships🤣🤣🤣. Seriously though, having a few weeks just to yourself without any obligations is a rarity, why would you waste that on extra baggage...
Well, having spent my whole life gleefully collecting "extra baggage" I'm definitely not going to break the habit of a lifetime for the Camino🤣

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know a similar (very recent) story about Anna, the owner of albergue Aves de Paso on the Norte. She took that albergue over last year. A couple of months into her first season there was a spark between her and a pilgrim who stayed there. This second season they are running the albergue together. 😊
So the moral of the story is go buy an Albergue if you're looking for love on the Camino!

€60,-

You are always attractive to me!

I think it's actually an interesting topic. Well done on the Poll.

Pat and I joked prior to our first Camino together, that we did not want to end up like that couple featured in a story here. On opposite sides of the road in a village, hurling their packs and insults across the road at each other! :oops:

We got close a couple of times............... ;)
Yes, still together, still walking, and still hospitaleroing.

Last edited:
If emojis count we can all chip in and top four easily. Spill the beans!

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
Nice try, catch me on Camino at some stage and buy real wine or better still come visit Aotearoa New Zealand at some stage and I will share some Kiwi hospitality with you and we can reminisce in person ♥️

I'm glad this topic has engendered such interest. I've been on at my partner for some time now to compile a series of stories of people meeting and falling in love on the camino (for clarity the long term ones). There certainly are a lot of great yarns just from the people we've met and clearly the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had someone propose marriage to me once on one trip but you would need to buy me more than three four glasses of wine before I told you the full story about how that transpired and how it ended.
So I won't be able to get the story from you over Passover and will have to wait until next Purim. :)

[At the Passover seder it is customary to drink four glasses of wine. At Purim - just passed - it is customary to drink until you can no longer distinguish between the names "Haman" and "Mordechai".]

So I won't be able to get the story from you over Passover and will have to wait until next Purim. :)

[At the Passover seder it is customary to drink four glasses of wine. At Purim - just passed - it is customary to drink until you can no longer distinguish between the names "Haman" and "Mordechai".]
And the Donkey's not talking either !

€46,-
My favourite albergue is Casa Susi in Trabadelo. It is owned and ran by an Aussie (Susi) and a Spaniard (Fermin). They met on the Camino several years back and decided to open an albergue together. They got married this year.

I met a man on the Camino. We just kind of ended up walking together after Rabanal. I had just walked the Meseta alone so I was happy, but somewhat reluctant, to have company. By the time we got to Triacastela we were “coupled up”. Being the fiercely independent person I am, I was insistent I was spending my final day walking alone. I wanted to walk into Santiago alone, just like how I started in Saint Jean alone. By the time we got to O’Pedrouzo we were annoyed with each other and stayed in separate places. I walked my last day alone, and I was really sad and lonely. We reconnected, as friends, back in Santiago after we both walked to Finisterre separately. We had lunch at the monastery. We remain friends and met up at a pub in London a few years ago. And last year when I walked the Portuguese and was having a tough time, I reached out to him and his encouragement helped me through.

(Fundamentally, this relationship would never have worked because he was British and hated the way Americans, like me, pronounced his name.)
😉 "..never would have worked ..." I mean! Married to a Scot (never to be mistaken for a "Brit") and eye-rolling familiar with how both sides of the pond get their argy-bargy up over correct pronouncements of the naming of things and the (im)proper use of fork and knife, I think you were well away. A stone is at Cruz du Ferro for the Scot, bless his heart.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Romance ... Fell briefly in thrall with a blue-eyed Irishman who presented as in dire need of an emotional, spiritual and psychological "fixer-upper": at the time, my specialty! (Ask any of my husbands.) The Camino is one fine opportunity for the stunning clarity it awards the pilgrim with distance from the familiar and the absence of distractions. A moment in Burgos when I absolutely, positively beheld that familar pitfall of man-saving, laughed and laughed (at and with myself) ... and walked a Way.

Yes, in 2022 I met someone on the first day from St Jean who lived in Spain and myself in the US. We ended up walking the entire Camino together. Over the next year, we saw each other twice for @ 30 days, and finally, we walked the Portuguese from Lisbon in 2023. Eventually, the distance ended the relationship a few months ago. Neither of us was in a position to move.

Attachments

• 20220916_081351.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
Romance ... Fell briefly in thrall with a blue-eyed Irishman who presented as in dire need of an emotional, spiritual and psychological "fixer-upper": at the time, my specialty! (Ask any of my husbands.) The Camino is one fine opportunity for the stunning clarity it awards the pilgrim with distance from the familiar and the absence of distractions. A moment in Burgos when I absolutely, positively beheld that familar pitfall of man-saving, laughed and laughed (at and with myself) ... and walked a Way.
Haha oh damn. This resonated.

I've had a number of 'dalliances' on the Camino (and fended some off as well), but I don't think there has ever been a camino I've walked where I haven't witnessed people falling in love and, in a number of cases, staying that way. Last summer's walk, it was a couple who initially couldn't stand each other, but who have since built a life together despite being from Ireland and Idaho! I'm rooting for those crazy kids.

€46,-

💕

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I met a boy on the Camino in June 2016. We walked and talked all day and night for about a week until we got to Santiago. We call it the longest and most in-depth first date ever. After spending another couple days in Finisterre, we ultimately went our separate ways, not expecting it to be anything more than a Camino spark. We got in touch again almost a year later, dated long-distance, moved in together, and got married in 2022. A few months ago we had our first baby, a boy named Santi :)

I met a boy on the Camino in June 2016. We walked and talked all day and night for about a week until we got to Santiago. We call it the longest and most in-depth first date ever. After spending another couple days in Finisterre, we ultimately went our separate ways, not expecting it to be anything more than a Camino spark. We got in touch again almost a year later, dated long-distance, moved in together, and got married in 2022. A few months ago we had our first baby, a boy named Santi :)
How beautiful ❤️

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back