• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My experience using booking agency for accommodation & bag transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liltravlr

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2020)
FYI I used Santiago Ways to book accommodation & transport main bag along the Francés in June. They were good except one accommodation that did not pick us up when we called as instructed. Santiago Ways had told us to call Casa Roan when we got to Ventas de Naron as the accommodation was 8km from anywhere. That morning, I emailed SW from our accommodation where we were the night before in Portomarin, to confirm that’s all we had to do. I received no reply to this email, so I assumed we were expected in Casa Roan. On arriving in Ventas de Naron, we called twice but no one at Casa Roan answered. I had no assurance that anyone was expecting us or was ever going to answer the phone, so I emailed Santiago Ways that we would be taking a taxi and I would keep the receipt and ask for compensation. When we got to the accommodation, Casa Roan admitted we called their number, but refused to pay us back for the €30 taxi, saying we should have waited and kept calling. Santiago Ways would not compensate us because they said they had already paid Casa Roan for the transfer. Each blamed the other, and that left us $45 out. Either way, it was not our fault but for this reason, I would not book again. We should have been paid back as it was a customer service issue between them, not any fault of ours.

Although the food was great, I can’t recommend Casa Roan. There were 3 spiders in my bed one night (I know, it’s the country, and it’s lovely to have the windows & doors open in Spain but weird they don’t have screens on the windows), there was a motion-sensor light outside my window that went on & off all night (triggered by bugs?), so I had to hang a bedspread over the window, no AC, which is fine but no fan either, & the property is pretty, historic & well-kept, but 8kms from anything. They did do a quick laundry service (10€/bag).

On two occasions, there was a problem with SW transporting the bags, one bag was not picked up, and it cost us an hour of our day, as we had to wait until the driver came back, and when we finished in Santiago, our bags did not arrive until 7:30 PM. As I had nothing but the clothes I was wearing, I missed a dance event I had planned to attend with friends. Otherwise, the food and accommodations were very good. I had many questions, and they were answered satisfactorily. I had had to make alternate bookings myself several months ahead, because we did not get the final information for our accommodation until very shortly before we left for our trip, and I wanted to know where we would be staying.

The accommodations also should have one sheet of paper with dinner time, breakfast time, checkout time, and time for bags out, in English, at the front desk. This information changed with each different accommodation, and sometimes was only in Spanish. I enjoyed walking the Camino Frances; it is beautiful countryside, but people should be reminded it is farmland, and sometimes smells like it!

I stayed at the following additional places used by SW (included dinner & breakfasts, all good. None had AC or fans, elevators or kettles/frig, you get one towel, good locations):
Mar de Plata (elevator, can’t recall if AC)
Casa Morgade: Morgade
Hotel Pazo de Berbetoros: Portomarin
A Lua do Camiño: Melide (AC & excellent pool! I made the booking then handed it to SW so no dinner included)
Casa do Cabo Arzúa
Albergue Turistico Salceda: Salceda (did have elevator & AC)
Pazo Xan Xordo: Lavacolla.

I also made the following bookings myself:
Santiago: Hotel Compostela on arrival & Parador at end. Both lovely, AC, good locations, breakfasts, elevators
Pension San Marcos: Palas de Rey (no meals, good location in fun town but festival band til 4am then 100 students got up at 6 & had to be out by 9).

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The accommodations also should have one sheet of paper with dinner time, breakfast time, checkout time, and time for bags out, in English, at the front desk. This information changed with each different accommodation, and sometimes was only in Spanish.

It is a shame indeed that in Spain people communicate in Spanish.

It is always a good idea (and perhaps polite) to learn some basics of the language that is spoken in the country you are visiting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

It is always a good idea (and perhaps polite) to learn some basics of the language that is spoken in the country you are visiting.
That's a bit harsh. Following a set of instructions can go far beyond learning the courteous phrases in Spanish. Even if you speak Spanish it can be hard to remember how to use the entry code to a building, what the cost is to do laundry, and all sorts of instructions when you have a different set of instructions every day.

I have also thought that many albergues and other accommodations would do themselves a favor by having printed instructions in several languages rather than repeating to each person. They could still give verbal instruction and refer to the written instructions in case you forget something.

It would be fine with me if they were only in Spanish, as I can read it, and also know how to use Google Translate on my phone.

I have been annoyed by that for a long time.

I also noticed that several other countries in Europe do not speak English so that I do not have to be inconvenienced.
Bummer.

There’s always a trade off in using agencies. Main advantage is peace of mind. But a disadvantage of lack of flexibility. Have used them 3 times and would use them again if circumstances suit.

Main issue I find is the variability in accommodation but then they have put me in fantastic accommodation I would have never considered

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a bit harsh

Sorry, but I don't think I am being harsh.
Words like breakfast and dinner (that were referred to) are basic phrases I think.
More importantly, I think it is odd to expect or demand (which is what the OP did) that - when visiting a non-English speaking country - people communicate in English with you.

Last edited:
Words like breakfast and dinner (that were referred to) are basic phrases I think.
More importantly, I think it is odd (I could use an other word) to expect or demand (which is what the OP did) that - when visiting a non-English speaking country - people communicate in English with you.
I do speak Spanish (poorly), but when I'm being given instructions in rapid fire Spanish it's difficult to keep up! I don't see a problem with giving instructions orally in Spanish and also referring to the written version. I think that it saves everyone time and trouble.

I do speak Spanish (poorly), but when I'm being given instructions in rapid fire Spanish it's difficult to keep up! I don't see a problem with giving instructions orally in Spanish and also referring to the written version. I think that it saves everyone time and trouble.

When I come to the UK/USA/France/Spain/ Italy I do not expect that the people at the frontdesk of my hotel have a written manual in Dutch to assist me nor do I expect that they talk to me in Dutch.

I adapt and learn the basics of the local language out of courtesy.
And if they talk rapidly I will ask in the local language if they want to speak to me in a slower pace.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I come to the UK/USA/France/Spain/ Italy I do not expect that the people at the frontesk of my hotel have a written manual in Dutch to assist me nor do I expect that they talk to me in Dutch.
But with modern technology it can be in any language! I was able to easily use unstaffed laundromats in France by using Google Translate to translate the instructions for using the machines even though I don't know much French beyond the pleasantries.

If I had to be fluent in the language of every country that I visit I would be severely limited in where I travel!

There is a member here who gets frequent pushback against his assertion that one needs extensive travel experience in Europe before walking a Camino. I don't want people to think that they need to be fluent Spanish speakers to walk a Camino. Yes, one should learn the polite phrases and show a willingness to learn, but I see nothing wrong with providing written instructions in addition to verbal ones.

@Liltravlr thank you VERY much for your post Camino report! Your previous thread, Live from the Camino, was one of the most informative threads ever!!

I'm like you in that I've experienced the Camino Frances only once (so far)... Now I too am looking forward to my return to the Camino. Further adventures await.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
But with modern technology it can be in any language! I was able to easily use unstaffed laundromats in France by using Google Translate to translate the instructions for using the machines even though I don't know much French beyond the pleasantries.

If I had to be fluent in the language of every country that I visit I would be severely limited in where I travel!

There is a member here who gets frequent pushback against his assertion that one needs extensive travel experience in Europe before walking a Camino. I don't want people to think that they need to be fluent Spanish speakers to walk a Camino. Yes, one should learn the polite phrases and show a willingness to learn, but I see nothing wrong with providing written instructions in addition to verbal ones.

I follow you of course when it comes to the reference of this specific member and his theory about the travel experience.
I just want to make clear that there is absolutely no reason for me that the local Spanish hotelowners accomodate us with written instructions in foreign languages. They owe us nothing!!

I for one am very much looking forward to my upcoming Camino Inglés where I will immerse myself in a wonderful local culture. And no , I am not fluent in Spanish but I try and adapt.

Last edited:

I am sorry but you seem to be reading things in posts that were never written
I never said I was against albergues providing written instructions - if they wish to do so. I said am against demanding or expecting that any oral or written instructions are given in English.
Nobody said one should speak fluent Spanish in order to walk the camino - I don't see how anyone would conclude this from this thread.

So unfortunately , we seem to be talking past each other (hope this is the correct English phrase..):)

Last edited:
I will immerse myself in a wonderful local culture. And no , I am not fluent in Spanish but I try and adapt
Being flexible and able to adapt to different situations is the key to successful travel, especially when traveling abroad.

I think that the OP's experience proves that you can't buy a stress free Camino experience, which is why I think many who use agencies for the Camino do so. The agency can actually add a degree of stress.

Last edited:
I think that the OP's experience proves that you can't buy a stress free Camino experience, which is why I think many who use agencies for the Camino do so. The agency can actually add a degree of stress.
My thinking too. I would not choose to pay a premium to a third-party in order to deprive myself of flexibility and choice along the way.

No fue un problema para mí ya que hablo español con fluidez, but my sister does not. I did load Google translate on her phone for when she wasn’t with me. I mentioned that as a suggestion that might help others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been annoyed by that for a long time.

I also noticed that several other countries in Europe do not speak English so that I do not have to be inconvenienced.
Bummer.
Again, not a problem for me as i am able to function in 11 languages, but the other poor sods could use a little help, no?

@Liltravlr thank you VERY much for your post Camino report! Your previous thread, Live from the Camino, was one of the most informative threads ever!!

I'm like you in that I've experienced the Camino Frances only once (so far)... Now I too am looking forward to my return to the Camino. Further adventures await.

Buen Camino!
You are very welcome😁. I was about to leave this forum completely today and forget doing the Coastal route because I was so hurt by some sarcastic & judgmental responses. On the date that Mr Brierley’s family posted of his passing, having bought one of his helpful guides, I was struck by their saying he just really was about “helping a fellow pilgrim on their way.” That’s all I was seeking before & wanted to give back in the only way I could to others who, for physical reasons, could not do the 800kms unassisted.
Buen Camino to you!

More importantly, I think it is odd to expect or demand (which is what the OP did) that - when visiting a non-English speaking country - people communicate in English with you.
Actually I never demanded that. It was a suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_8723.png
    IMG_8723.png
    244 KB · Views: 69
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
FYI I used Santiago Ways to book accommodation & transport main bag along the Francés in June.
There are risks inherent in using any company for a pre-arranged tour, though some are better than others. We usually put a review on the company´s own website and Tripadviser, especially if the company deserve a recommendation or intending clients need a warning.

Around the world, many establishments do provide information in other languages, in particular English: they are in the hospitality business so it is in their interest to make life easier for their patrons. Perhaps you could write to the hotels and restaurants you visited suggesting this and offering to help using your language skills. But we found Google translate invaluable when we were off the tourist track in Japan, it can even handle texts in a mixture of three writing systems.

In any case, the language issue is a diversion. Please let´s leave the subject alone.

The accommodations also should have one sheet of paper with dinner time, breakfast time, checkout time, and time for bags out, in English, at the front desk. This information changed with each different accommodation, and sometimes was only in Spanish.
I follow you of course when it comes to the reference of this specific member and his theory about the travel experience.
I just want to make clear that there is absolutely no reason for me that the local Spanish hotelowners accomodate us with written instructions in foreign languages. They owe us nothing!!
I speak only two languages fluently- one of them being English. Spanish unfortunately, is not one of them. I have been improving my survival skills slowly in Spanish, using several on-line programs. We now use a cell phone company as well with international service so it is easier to translate words, sentences and directions, we are not sure of, as well as for emergencies. We never demand or expect that anyone speak our native language. That said , this erudite crew on this post recognize that most international airports,for example, post signs in English because it is an ELF….it is a Lingua Franca, and recognized as a global means of inter-community communication! So perhaps we might view @Liltravlr remarks in that context. Just saying!

As I look back whenever I have travelled, wherever I have travelled, I have immersed myself in the culture and people I have the privilege to visit.
I have been invited and witnessed Muslims at prayer and worship and eaten and talked thereafter. I have stopped and witnessed the same in Nice.
I have had the most marvellous conversation with an old gentleman in a bar (in French) about his life and will never forget it. I have many other memories on my travels, too many to mention; as I have avoided English (and the English)
My best friend is Algerian French and whenever we are together we converse in a dual language...we slaughter each others.
I can read and understand Spsnish but have great difficulty in speaking it and understanding it when it is spoken but I would make the effort whenever i could.
I get exactly where the OP is coming from as not everyone has the mechanisms or ability to translate.
Nearly everything i buy has instructions in numerous different major languages. To have a crib sheet with a precis of the important things would be helpful. I expect nothing but appreciate things when they are there.
I applaud the OP.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My own sentiments on the language issue are contradictory. In a polyglot world and particularly in Europe, English has come to be a default language and those in the travel industry should be able to provide helpful material in it. While I speak two languages fluently, Spanish is not one of them, but that has not stopped me from doing my best-- on my first week on a Camino, my Castellano resembles that of a stunned 9-year-old but by week 2 and 3 I can make my way in pretty well every traveller's situation and, by week 4, can hold basic adult conversations and, when dealing with history and church architecture, at a pretty good level. Being able to do that, and to communicate with the very conversational and friendly Spanish population, is a source of much delight to me.

I stayed at the following additional places used by SW (included dinner & breakfasts, all good. None had AC or fans, elevators or kettles/frig, you get one towel, good locations):

Thank you for the feedback @Liltravlr It's always useful for others to know the pros and cons of different approaches to planning and undertaking a Camino.

If I might just add some additional commentary, for the benefit of newbies planning a Camino, on the bit I have highlighted above. It might help manage expectations. (others please chip in if you think I'm wrong)

AC is one of those weird things in Spain. (story below) Here in Australia we expect it. In Spain I have learned not to. If places have it, I treat it as a bonus. And I can't recall ever seeing a fan. Oh Yes. Once in about 150 nights on Camino.

Elevators. ditto. I recently had to go ahead of my host, a disabled lady, up 5 flights of stairs to my room. Modern hotels seem to have them. Others are pot luck I think.

Kettles/Fridge. Very rare, unless an upmarket Hotel.

One Towel. Fairly standard I think unless an upmarket Hotel.

AC Story.......... short version. It was like Fawlty Towers! 🙂

We'd booked a Hotel close to the Cathedral in Burgos, on booking.com as it had AC. And we longed for some AC. It wasn't cheap....

In the room I couldn't get the AC working. So I went downstairs to get some help.

The conversation went like this...............

Me. I can't get the AC to work.
Reception Manager. It's not turned on.
Me. How do we turn it on?
Reception Manager. You can't. It's not summer yet. We have the heating on now.
Me. It's hot! (28C) When does summer start?
Reception Manager. It starts on (what ever date in a few weeks)
Me. But we booked here because you have AC.
Reception Manager. Yes, we do have AC.

This was spiralling fast............. :rolleyes:

He agreed to a refund and we moved to a Hotel that not only had AC. But AC that was working. And working on Cold! I made sure at the time of booking...........

But glad at all worked out for you in the end............
I've enjoyed your posts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AC is one of those weird things in Spain. (story below) Here in Australia we expect it. In Spain I have learned not to
I haven't had the opportunity to visit Southern Spain, but I would imagine that AC is more standard there, just as it is in the US in states like Arizona that experience extreme heat. However, in the Pacific Northwest, where it's typically cool and rainy, AC never used to be necessary. Unfortunately, temperatures have been climbing in this region, and now AC is much more common and necessary. I think that it's probably the same in the NW of Spain.

While google translate is useful for translating things you read, the only time I have not understood what someone was saying to me was when the person who checked me in used the google translate app. Instead of speaking to me in a normal way, he spoke into the app and showed me what it said, which was quite difficult to understand and without any eye-contact or intonation it was impossible to tell if e.g. he was asking me if I wanted dinner or telling me I couldn't have dinner.

Generally if people speak in a normal way you can understand the gist even if you don't understand every word.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit Southern Spain, but I would imagine that AC is more standard there, just as it is in the US in states like Arizona that experience extreme heat. However, in the Pacific Northwest, where it's typically cool and rainy, AC never used to be necessary. Unfortunately, temperatures have been climbing in this region, and now AC is much more common and necessary. I think that it's probably the same in the NW of Spain.

They had a noisy clunky old AC in Hotel Simon in Seville.
Think they had one in the Parador in Zafra.
I think one or two other smaller places had AC.
But it was a bonus rather than an expectation on my part...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They had a noisy clunky old AC in Hotel Simon in Seville.
Think they had one in the Parador in Zafra.
I think one or two other smaller places had AC.
But it was a bonus rather than an expectation...
I don’t recall saying that I expected air conditioning. I mentioned it for those who are interested.

I don’t recall saying that I expected air conditioning. I mentioned it for those who are interested.
As on many threads on the forum, that mention led to exchanges of additional information and observations about the topic for those who are interested. These posts will help other people who might not know what to expect or not to expect, with respect to air conditioning.

No you didn't say you expected AC. I was merely sharing my experience of it being available or not.
And I was responding to @trecile who mentioned that maybe they have it more in the South.
I was merely sharing some thoughts..... ;)

These threads often have a habit of going off in all kinds of directions! :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whilst I go some way in agreeing that a service provider doesn't owe any more to the client than what is contractually agreed. Sometimes it adds value and a cohesiveness that helps everyone concerned.
What the OP has suggested (not insisted), in the way of an alternative language information sheet, would cost very little to produce and aid understanding to all concerned.
English is, after all, the default setting for this forum.

Whilst I go some way in agreeing that a service provider doesn't owe any more to the client than what is contractually agreed. Sometimes it adds value and a cohesiveness that helps everyone concerned.
What the OP has suggested (not insisted), in the way of an alternative language information sheet, would cost very little to produce and aid understanding to all concerned.
English is, after all, the default setting for this forum.

But English is not the default setting in Spain.

The fact that many local Spanish hotels/hostales do not use an alternative info sheet must mean that they do not see the need or extra value ( financially and commercially ).

They might weigh up the revenue they get from a passing one day pilgrim against the bookings from Spanish residents who return every year for their annual holidays.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is in the interest of hotel proprietors to make their guests´ life as easy as possible so providing translations is one way of doing this. If they don´t, and you have the language skills yourself, it might be a nice gesture to do it for them and for the benefit of later guests.
Exactly...its all about sharing and understanding which I am sure happens. Everyone is a winner.

That's a bit harsh. Following a set of instructions can go far beyond learning the courteous phrases in Spanish. Even if you speak Spanish it can be hard to remember how to use the entry code to a building, what the cost is to do laundry, and all sorts of instructions when you have a different set of instructions every day.

I have also thought that many albergues and other accommodations would do themselves a favor by having printed instructions in several languages rather than repeating to each person. They could still give verbal instruction and refer to the written instructions in case you forget something.

It would be fine with me if they were only in Spanish, as I can read it, and also know how to use Google Translate on my phone.
In response to:

I agree with trecile. Even if the hotel is not going to provide it in English, I would expect Santiago Ways, who are being paid to arrange things and smooth the path, as it were, to do so.

Last edited:
You are very welcome😁. I was about to leave this forum completely today and forget doing the Coastal route because I was so hurt by some sarcastic & judgmental responses. On the date that Mr Brierley’s family posted of his passing, having bought one of his helpful guides, I was struck by their saying he just really was about “helping a fellow pilgrim on their way.” That’s all I was seeking before & wanted to give back in the only way I could to others who, for physical reasons, could not do the 800kms unassisted.
Buen Camino to you!
Hang in here, @Liltravlr! Your commentary and suggestions are a valuable contribution! While I haven’t needed to use a tour company, many pilgrims do use them for a variety of reasons. So your perspective will resonate with many.

I also thought @Robo ‘s description of managing expectations on the camino is helpful. It is worth bringing up the aircon issue as many pilgrims have been surprised by the inability to get it, though it was advertised by the accommodation. Yes, many upscale accommodations indicate they have aircon! However, most accommodations that have a central air system, only turn the air-con on (and heat off); from mid June to early September. One won’t likely get air-con outside that time frame because that central air system only changed at those specific dates. For future reference, look for the air con systems installed on the walls in rooms when looking at the room pictures. There are individual units in some accommodations that one can control from the room. So it is possible, sometimes, to get aircon at other times. Btw the air-con issue is not unique to the Camino, but you will find the limiting of central air con to specific periods of time in many parts of Europe.

I have also found screens on windows on the rare side in Europe. I can only think of one place I have stayed at on the CF that actually had screens. One learns to adapt. I lived for a number of years in the countryside of Austria and watched the locals as to when they had the windows open and closed them, including the wooden shutters. The first week I lived there I had a lot of mosquito bites…so I quickly adapted to their way of living.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m curious about the cost of a booking company? I would never do it but I’m curious because I got National Geographic travel booklet and they are offering the CF (10 days) for $7000. The accommodations are paradors but still $7000!!!???
National Geographic is particularly expensive. I did a price comparison a few weeks ago looking at what Camino Ways and Follow the Camino charge. For a private room double occupancy with breakfast and luggage transfers you are looking at around 100 € per night per person to start. We booked ourselves, (some direct, some through booking.com) - similar accommodation for averages 33€ per night, luggage transfers cost 5€.
I suppose one major difference is that if anything goes wrong we will need to figure it out ourselves. The OP may feel easier booking on her own for a second Camino now that she knows the lay of the land.

National Geographic is particularly expensive. I did a price comparison a few weeks ago looking at what Camino Ways and Follow the Camino charge. For a private room double occupancy with breakfast and luggage transfers you are looking at around 100 € per night per person to start. We booked ourselves, similar accommodation for average 33€ per night, luggage transfers cost 5€.
One really won’t find upscale accommodations on the CF for an average of 33 euros per night…even in off season. Expect to pay,on average somewhere from 50-80 euros for upscale accommodations and substantially more at paradors and some 4stars depending on the season.

One really won’t find upscale accommodations on the CF for an average of 33 euros per night…even in off season. Expect to pay,on average somewhere from 50-80 euros for upscale accommodations and substantially more at paradors and some 4stars depending on the season.
That is for 2 people sharing, so our average was 66€. The agencies also base their prices on 2 people sharing

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recall staying overnight in a hotel in fitou, France. Whilst having a beer at the bar a gentleman came in and requested a room in Spanish (obviously Spanish).
I looked at him and then the manager behind the bar and knew he understood but he feigned that he didn't understand what he was saying. Fitou is only ten miles from the Spsnish border.
I said "Il veut un chambre pour la nuit".( he wants a bed for the night)
It pays to have a basic knowledge of the language.

Well, may next time (if there is a next time) you'd just walk it carrying your own bag and staying in albergues.
I can't guarantee there won't be any spiders.

FYI I used Santiago Ways to book accommodation & transport main bag along the Francés in June. They were good except one accommodation that did not pick us up when we called as instructed. Santiago Ways had told us to call Casa Roan when we got to Ventas de Naron as the accommodation was 8km from anywhere. That morning, I emailed SW from our accommodation where we were the night before in Portomarin, to confirm that’s all we had to do. I received no reply to this email, so I assumed we were expected in Casa Roan. On arriving in Ventas de Naron, we called twice but no one at Casa Roan answered. I had no assurance that anyone was expecting us or was ever going to answer the phone, so I emailed Santiago Ways that we would be taking a taxi and I would keep the receipt and ask for compensation. When we got to the accommodation, Casa Roan admitted we called their number, but refused to pay us back for the €30 taxi, saying we should have waited and kept calling. Santiago Ways would not compensate us because they said they had already paid Casa Roan for the transfer. Each blamed the other, and that left us $45 out. Either way, it was not our fault but for this reason, I would not book again. We should have been paid back as it was a customer service issue between them, not any fault of ours.

Although the food was great, I can’t recommend Casa Roan. There were 3 spiders in my bed one night (I know, it’s the country, and it’s lovely to have the windows & doors open in Spain but weird they don’t have screens on the windows), there was a motion-sensor light outside my window that went on & off all night (triggered by bugs?), so I had to hang a bedspread over the window, no AC, which is fine but no fan either, & the property is pretty, historic & well-kept, but 8kms from anything. They did do a quick laundry service (10€/bag).

On two occasions, there was a problem with SW transporting the bags, one bag was not picked up, and it cost us an hour of our day, as we had to wait until the driver came back, and when we finished in Santiago, our bags did not arrive until 7:30 PM. As I had nothing but the clothes I was wearing, I missed a dance event I had planned to attend with friends. Otherwise, the food and accommodations were very good. I had many questions, and they were answered satisfactorily. I had had to make alternate bookings myself several months ahead, because we did not get the final information for our accommodation until very shortly before we left for our trip, and I wanted to know where we would be staying.

The accommodations also should have one sheet of paper with dinner time, breakfast time, checkout time, and time for bags out, in English, at the front desk. This information changed with each different accommodation, and sometimes was only in Spanish. I enjoyed walking the Camino Frances; it is beautiful countryside, but people should be reminded it is farmland, and sometimes smells like it!

A Lua do Camiño: Melide (AC & excellent pool! I made the booking then handed it to SW so no dinner included)
Casa do Cabo Arzúa

Santiago: Hotel Compostela on arrival & Parador at end. Both lovely, AC, good locations, breakfasts, elevators
Pension San Marcos: Palas de Rey (no meals, good location in fun town but festival band til 4am then 100 students got up at 6 & had to be out by 9).
We also had many problems with Santiago Ways. I have been advising others not to use them. If anyone wants more details, let me know.

Thank you for the feedback @Liltravlr It's always useful for others to know the pros and cons of different approaches to planning and undertaking a Camino.

If I might just add some additional commentary, for the benefit of newbies planning a Camino, on the bit I have highlighted above. It might help manage expectations. (others please chip in if you think I'm wrong)

AC is one of those weird things in Spain. (story below) Here in Australia we expect it. In Spain I have learned not to. If places have it, I treat it as a bonus. And I can't recall ever seeing a fan. Oh Yes. Once in about 150 nights on Camino.

Elevators. ditto. I recently had to go ahead of my host, a disabled lady, up 5 flights of stairs to my room. Modern hotels seem to have them. Others are pot luck I think.

Kettles/Fridge. Very rare, unless an upmarket Hotel.

One Towel. Fairly standard I think unless an upmarket Hotel.

AC Story.......... short version. It was like Fawlty Towers! 🙂

We'd booked a Hotel close to the Cathedral in Burgos, on booking.com as it had AC. And we longed for some AC. It wasn't cheap....

In the room I couldn't get the AC working. So I went downstairs to get some help.

The conversation went like this...............

Me. I can't get the AC to work.
Reception Manager. It's not turned on.
Me. How do we turn it on?
Reception Manager. You can't. It's not summer yet. We have the heating on now.
Me. It's hot! (28C) When does summer start?
Reception Manager. It starts on (what ever date in a few weeks)
Me. But we booked here because you have AC.
Reception Manager. Yes, we do have AC.

This was spiralling fast............. :rolleyes:

He agreed to a refund and we moved to a Hotel that not only had AC. But AC that was working. And working on Cold! I made sure at the time of booking...........

But glad at all worked out for you in the end............
I've enjoyed your posts.

While I'm tempted to go start a new thread, I will let the moderators decide. Two notes:

1. On language, CaminoWays does provide a basic cheat sheet as part of their package. However, from my experience, if you're studying Spanish as a beginner, and traveling with an English speaking companion, you're not gonna make a lot of progress in Spanish because you're constantly switching back to English for your companion's benefit (one of the more compelling reasons why I'm going alone this September, God willing).

2. I think that a lot of today's travelers from "not northern Europe" are unfamiliar with how northern European municipalities implemented air conditioning (if at all). Like the older federal buildings in the US, any AC or HVAC (heating/ventilating/air conditioning), if it was put in at all (and the further north you go, the less likely it was) was a central system, often powered by steam from fossil fuels, and designed to turn the entire building to either heat or cold at certain times of the year. If it wasn't the day that the system cut over, too bad.

I found that individual, individually controlled AC units in rooms is the province of the luxury hotel, and perhaps in a few mid levels below it. When I was traveling in Scotland, the UK, Scandinavia in general, rural Germany, Spain, Eastern Europe and staying local/cheap/historic? No individual AC, I assure you.

Caveat emptor.

And again, thanks to the OP for sharing her experience.

. Even if the hotel is not going to provide it in English, I would expect Camino Ways, who are being paid to arrange things and smooth the path, as it were, to do so

On language, CaminoWays does provide a basic cheat sheet as part of their package
Please note that @Liltravlr used Santiago Ways, not Camino Ways to book her trip.

Indeed. I've made very careful note of that for my hoped-for, husband-accompanied Camino Ingles.... ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino to you!
I really appreciate your post! Thank you!! I read your comment about the instructions being in English and was suprised Santiago ways doesn’t provide that info considering the $$ you pay and the level of importance (so I don’t mess up and miss something). Even in advance via email.

I just hired Santiago ways as I’m too chicken to figure it out on my own. Peace of mind. I’m going via del Norte sept 2024. Very excited! Having your info will help me for sure! Thank you thank you!!!

Glad you stayed. I’m pretty sure if we were all sitting around a big table breaking bread together, there wouldn’t have been any misunderstandings or assumptions of what you meant.

Here’s to being supportive of each other in all ways. ♥️ 🍷

I really appreciate your post! Thank you!! I read your comment about the instructions being in English and was suprised Santiago ways doesn’t provide that info considering the $$ you pay and the level of importance (so I don’t mess up and miss something). Even in advance via email.

I just hired Santiago ways as I’m too chicken to figure it out on my own. Peace of mind. I’m going via del Norte sept 2024. Very excited! Having your info will help me for sure! Thank you thank you!!!

Glad you stayed. I’m pretty sure if we were all sitting around a big table breaking bread together, there wouldn’t have been any misunderstandings or assumptions of what you meant.

Here’s to being supportive of each other in all ways. ♥️ 🍷
I did too..a very good original post.
It highlighted how service providers could improve their service and how hospitality might be more hospitable. Little things matter and not everyone is expert and experienced and needs help along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This information changed with each different accommodation, and sometimes was only in Spanish. I enjoyed walking the Camino Frances; it is beautiful countryside, but people should be reminded it is farmland, and sometimes smells like it!
I know you can walk any way you want and I could care less how you or anyone else walks and who carries your bag and where you lay yourself down to sleep. A pilgrimage is NOT supposed to be easy and a lark. Sometimes things screw up, sometimes you don't always get exactly what you want, and sometimes things smell like sh*t! Big deal, that is part of the experience. Sometimes too you have to spend a few dollars more than you expected, but sometimes you get to sleep in the Parador to help you make up for your loss. All I can say is wow!

I know you can walk any way you want and I could care less how you or anyone else walks and who carries your bag and where you lay yourself down to sleep. A pilgrimage is NOT supposed to be easy and a lark. Sometimes things screw up, sometimes you don't always get exactly what you want, and sometimes things smell like sh*t! Big deal, that is part of the experience. Sometimes too you have to spend a few dollars more than you expected, but sometimes you get to sleep in the Parador to help you make up for your loss. All I can say is wow!
I don't think Liltravlr was complaining in this post. Just helping others manage their expectations.

I’m curious about the cost of a booking company? I would never do it but I’m curious because I got National Geographic travel booklet and they are offering the CF (10 days) for $7000. The accommodations are paradors but still $7000!!!???
The regular Camino booking places are no where near the cost.

Buen Camino to you!
Why would you leave just because you had some responses that bothered you? If you don't like what someone writes you can ignore it or do what I do and respond with what you really think and be done with it. I have gotten into it on more than a few occasions with people but I have fun with it and I like the juice. If you don't like something ignore or tell them where to stick it. If you like the forum stay on it. If you go to your favorite spot in the country and once it smells like cow dung are you going to never come back? Here is great advice, just don't worry about it.

These kind of specialized tours included guides and activities other than walking the Camino, are always way more expensive than companies that simply book accommodations and luggage transfers.

National Geographic offers a guided tour of sites along the Camino with some light hiking thrown in starting at $7195 per person for 10 days.

My sister & I paid $1200usd each for 7 days bag transfer, 9 nights moderate hotels which included most dinners & breakfasts, & medical insurance.

Holiday or Camino?
When I want a holiday/vacation I generally think of something more along the lines of relaxing on a beach with a cool drink, not walking and sweating for 6 hours a day. Where one sleeps and how that is arranged isn't what makes a journey a Camino - it's what's in their heart.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMHO, the Camino de Santiago is a scruffy old pilgrimage trail, forged over a thousand years by pilgrims for pilgrims -- people who purposefully foreswear their usual comforts and security as a spiritual discipline. A whole lot of other people use the trail for other things, but the modern-day route is really not suited for the suitcase/charming B&B/everything-taken-care-of tourist package. The tourism business is trying to twist the Camino de Santiago into a shape it will not hold.
Thousands of people are buying the package and the load of expectations that come with it. And thousands of people are being disappointed. It's inevitable.
And it's not sustainable.

Casa do Cabo Arzúa

I found your commentary informative and helpful. Thanks.

I’m ‘functionally fluent’ (B2) in Spanish - you wouldn’t want me representing you in court or doing your tax return, but otherwise I’m fine - and have spent a good deal of time travelling in rural Spain, but I occasionally have to remind myself ‘you’re not at home’ when things don’t work out as expected. Castilian is not always the first language in all parts of Spain; accents vary; many colloquialisms are used and many speak very rapidly. One day I may be able to keep up with Spanish football commentary, but not yet!

Where AC is available the recent dramatic increase in ‘el precio de la luz’ has often resulted in it not being turned on.

Having used a booking agency, would you do so again? I typically join the majority response on here that ‘it’s your choice, but really not necessary’.

I found your commentary informative and helpful. Thanks.

I’m ‘functionally fluent’ (B2) in Spanish - you wouldn’t want me representing you in court or doing your tax return, but otherwise I’m fine - and have spent a good deal of time travelling in rural Spain, but I occasionally have to remind myself ‘you’re not at home’ when things don’t work out as expected. Castilian is not always the first language in all parts of Spain; accents vary; many colloquialisms are used and many speak very rapidly. One day I may be able to keep up with Spanish football commentary, but not yet!

Where AC is available the recent dramatic increase in ‘el precio de la luz’ has often resulted in it not being turned on.

Having used a booking agency, would you do so again? I typically join the majority response on here that ‘it’s your choice, but really not necessary’.
Hi, I agree Castilian Spanish is not always the local lingo but have found it to be the lingua franca among my friends from Bilbao, Santiago & Valencia!
I would I guess use an agency again, as I do a travel agent at home, because when things do go wrong, you have somebody else whose job it is to spend all the time on the telephone fixing things. For example, the airline had us booked on window and middle seats, but we prefer aisle. I just messaged my travel agent, and he changed it, rather than me having to go on the apps or whatever. I also find my travel agent gets very good flight deals, and knows the legal routing time better than me.
Of course, you don’t have to use one, but generally SW accommodation was very good and generally the bag transfer worked out. We made a few changes along the way, as I wanted my own room for a few nights, and it was fairly affordable. It just meant I didn’t have to do any extra time online, which I hate. My big complaint was, I didn’t get the final names of the accommodation until a week or two before we left, which was stressful to me, because I like to know in advance where I’m staying. They probably do that, so you cannot undercut and book yourselves, Likewise, they would not disclose the name of their transport company when we had a problem. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

My only recommendation is to not book the dinners so you can eat where and when you want with your new friends. Even the casa ruals will let you pay when you are there. I also found if it’s a place you have to call for a ride try to do it before siesta time. They don’t answer their phones. Ventas de Naron was the place I had trouble but the 1st bar/ restaurant you come to is very nice to have a beer or 2 and people watch.

Hi, I agree Castilian Spanish is not always the local lingo but have found it to be the lingua franca among my friends from Bilbao, Santiago & Valencia!
I would I guess use an agency again, as I do a travel agent at home, because when things do go wrong, you have somebody else whose job it is to spend all the time on the telephone fixing things. For example, the airline had us booked on window and middle seats, but we prefer aisle. I just messaged my travel agent, and he changed it, rather than me having to go on the apps or whatever. I also find my travel agent gets very good flight deals, and knows the legal routing time better than me.
Of course, you don’t have to use one, but generally SW accommodation was very good and generally the bag transfer worked out. We made a few changes along the way, as I wanted my own room for a few nights, and it was fairly affordable. It just meant I didn’t have to do any extra time online, which I hate. My big complaint was, I didn’t get the final names of the accommodation until a week or two before we left, which was stressful to me, because I like to know in advance where I’m staying. They probably do that, so you cannot undercut and book yourselves, Likewise, they would not disclose the name of their transport company when we had a problem. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
When it comes to travelling your C.V. is massively impressive.
On balance your choice was good for you and I hope you found it all you hoped.
As you saw, it is not for everyone but there again everyone's camino is different to anyone elses...I'm not sure there is a right way or wrong way.
When it comes to things going wrong I am like the proverbial magnet..it all adds to the interest for me and good, bad or indifferent everything is there to test you (at least that is what I tell myself).
I wish you well for your future travels.

I have 180,000 followers on TA & in a FB group of 18,000 people who have as a goal to go to all 193 UN countries, so I am in the habit of doing Trip Reports to export my opinions & info learned as I learn from others’ posts. I prefer to think of my “whining” as constructive criticism, but yes I do vent at times. Sorry! Spoiled? Well, I grew up poor but in a nice part of town, so we had that benefit. My mom left my abusive dad after he hit my sister, but somehow managed to put all 5 of us through 11 university degrees (with the help of student loans, of course). My mom was a teacher so would throw us in the back of our old station wagon (in which she put curtains & carpet so we could sleep in it), & drove us around Canada & the US in summers, camping & sometimes sleeping in gas station parking lots, which we thought was a hoot! We learned to meet people & adapt & sleep anywhere, actually. I took advantage of every school choir/band/team/language & government-subsidized exchange trip possible in school, & was the highest fundraiser 2 years in a row. In uni I worked up to 6 jobs at a time during school so I could take August off to travel. Nobody’s paid my way to 110 countries (Mom paid for the other 2😁). Of course I am lucky to live in a country that gave me the opportunity to study & get scholarships & gives me a great passport. But spoiled? No, I think I have worked for what I have, & did the short Camino as I was laid off in June after 24 years, with no pension, & my sister had a 2-week window of vacation from her job nursing the world through covid the last 3 years, so we went together. The Parador was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, with no regrets. Please don’t jump to conclusions & this forum should not be judgmental. It reduces the joy that everyone works for on their own Camino. Oh, & I’m not a “he”.
So, what do you think you got out of your Camino? 😉

Written instructions would help EVERYONE.

Written instructions would help EVERYONE.

I am starting to lose the plot in this thread, and I am not sure what you are referring to (and not sure why you use capitals). Do you refer to written instructions about breakfast times (as was discussed earlier in the thread) or do you mean written instructions for walking the camino ? In all these cases, at least I do not need them and they would not help me.

I am starting to lose the plot in this thread, and I am not sure what you are referring to (and not sure why you use capitals). Do you refer to written instructions about breakfast times (as was discussed earlier in the thread) or do you mean written instructions for walking the camino ? In all these cases, at least I do not need them and they would not help me.
I think written instructions about "house rules" in albergues and other accommodations.

I think written instructions about "house rules" in albergues and other accommodations.

Okay, we will wait and see if this is what was meant.
The instructions should be in English, or will Spanish be okay as well ? :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay, we will wait and see if this is what was meant.
The instructions should be in English, or will Spanish be okay as well ? :)
Spanish only would be a good start, since translation apps can be used.

I stayed in an albergue that had a large poster with the "house rules" translated into English, French, and German with "very important" at the top in all 4 languages. Unfortunately, the most important rule - to be quiet until 7:30 am was ignored by the only other occupant of my dorm when he set an audible alarm for 5am. 😠

I hesitate to reply to this thread (for reasons that are likely obvious), but since there are some who expressed interest in learning about the experience of using a tour company, I will share mine. And thank you to Liltravlr for taking the time to share a thoughtful summary of her experience.

I recently completed my first Camino (Norte to Primitivo to Finisterre/Muxia) booking with Follow the Camino, a total of 42 days and over 1000 km (620+ miles for the metric impaired - I include myself among you!).

Before outlining my thoughts on the experience of using FTC, for those who are trying not to be judgmental but find it challenging to understand why anyone would do this instead of backpacking and booking as you go, maybe this one pilgrim's thoughts will be helpful, but there may be many other reasons to arrange it this way.

For me personally, because it was my Camino, I did it because it WAS my first Camino. It was hard to really understand how it all worked, I had never undertaken anything of this magnitude before, and I have never backpacked and at 64 years old it did not seem like a smart idea to try to do something like this and try to backpack for first time, so felt I needed a luggage transfer. I also felt it was important to be able to sleep at night and for me that means a private room. The prospect of having to identify and book 42 hotels also seemed daunting. By using a booking company, one very critical, very daunting logistical aspect of convincing myself I could do the Camino was taken off the table. Additionally, as Liltravlr notes, if there were problems, I felt that I would have someone to turn to for help, not some soul-less website with no human beings on the other end. Related, my husband was a little worried about a single female walking in a distant land, and with FTC, if I didn't show up at my hotel on the designated day, the hotel would first call FTC, then FTC would call me, and if they couldn't contact me, they would contact my husband (I wasn't sure how useful that would be, I would likely be dead I guess, but it felt comforting to my husband to know that someone was tracking whether I showed up - this alone might have been worth the entire premium I paid, he's a worrier). So this was my thinking. I didn't discover the forum until about a month or so before I left (but booked about 6 months earlier).

Lastly, I understand the freedom and flexibility of just getting out there and doing it and figuring out your stops as you go, and to some extent I'm a little jealous of that and have now been asking myself if I COULD actually do it, next time. I can understand how some really like to figure it all out as they go and don't mind spending the afternoons after the walk working out the options, pre-booking or not. But can we all agree that different people have different needs, limitations, anxieties, desires (and yes, maybe different resources)? None of this makes someone better than anyone else. If using a booking company makes it POSSIBLE for someone to undertake a pilgrimage they otherwise feel they wouldn't be able to do, why belittle it?

Ok, enough of that, here's my experience with Follow the Camino:

1. They were great helping me before I left and redid my schedule a number of times as I changed my mind about Frances then Norte/Primitivo, then adding Finisterre/Muxia.

2. FTC seemed to have no actual idea of the distance between destinations, the route planner would indicate, say, 12 miles, and then by the time I hit mile 6 I knew I was no where near halfway, often it was 15 or 18 miles. They didn't seem to care, just said they use some guide or whatever. This doesn't seem to be unusual, at least based on some posts on this forum that I read after the fact, that the distances aren't well indicated. But, I did think FTC should have indicated that the distances indicated and actual experience are often different, erring only on the side of being longer than indicated, never shorter. After a while, I stopped caring, but the first few weeks were tough and not knowing how far I would have to walk that day made it tougher, mentally anyway. I might have modified my route somewhat had I known, but in the end it didn't actually matter.

3. I paid to upgrade accommodations, and that may have been a mistake because it may have resulted some hotels further off the route than I fully appreciated. The extra 45-60 minutes of walking that didn't seem too far on paper, was brutal on days when the distance actual distance walked was was significantly longer than that indicated on route.

4. The hotels were mostly ok (a couple of standouts, but mostly ok), but it wasn't always clear why they had chosen certain hotels. Some were too far off the route, others were really cheap (I remember one 20 euro room in particular - there were other better hotels in that town, all with availability, I checked that day) especially given the upgrade. They don't really care about where the book you, how long you have to walk to get there (take a taxi! adding 50 euros each way for one, for a not great room; there were other rooms available in the town that did not require taxis, I checked that day); in some cases, after long walks (including lots elevation gain), getting to the hotel involved either significant elevation gain (in one case, something like 400 meters in the last mile) or dangerous road conditions with no shoulder to walk on. By the end I felt they were really trying to cheat me, which I didn't like, but tried not to let it bother me because at that point there was nothing I could do about it.

5. There were days where the planner indicated I should take a taxi to the hotel, but didn't explain where to find a taxi. Ok, I know now that if there's a train station that's a good place to start, but I felt there should have been more explanation. There were also days where they SHOULD have indicated that a taxi must be taken, but for some reason they didn't.

6. I personally don't mind paying some premium to have the booking work taken care of, but some of their choices were simply incomprehensible. In particular, on one day, by the time I got to my destination, I realized that the next day's destination was less than 5 km (!) away. It was not possible to tell from the planner, which indicated it was about 10 miles, which for sure made it one of the shortest days , but I couldn't tell from the maps if the short length was intended as a rest day or because lots of elevation or what. I managed to fix the problem, skip that destination, make the next day longer, move a few reservations up a day and add an extra day in Finisterre, for an additional 80 euros or so. Annoying, but in the scheme of things not a lot of money and it was worth it. However, FTC refused to explain to me why they booked it that way, never answered my questions as to whether they knew it was 5 km, what their thinking was in booking a 5 km day, or to accept any responsibility for it. They just said it was my responsibility to review the bookings and ask them to make adjustments if I didn't think they would work. But that's why I was paying them a premium, and I couldn't figure it out based on the information I had. For me, this was the final straw when it comes to whether I would use them again, maybe all of them make similar mistakes, but after this I felt they really didn't know what they were doing, and then not being able to admit a mistake, even worse.

7. A lot of my bookings included half-board. I didn't think much about it when I reviewed the bookings, but I agree with the commenters about not paying for dinner. First of all, most didn't serve dinner until 8 pm, and it was better to eat with other pilgrims met along the way. Also, breakfast was included at all places, but I often left before the usual 7:30 or 8 am breakfast time, skipping breakfast. In many cases, it wasn't worth staying for it anyway, but in other places I was glad to have it where there wouldn't be many options along the way. Generally though I liked getting a cortado, maybe a tostado or tortilla, after a couple of hours of walking, but on the routes I walked that wasn't always a possibility (or maybe not until after 3 or 4 hours walking).

8. There were a few times I really needed some help along the way, and on those few occasions I was able to reach someone and usually my problem was solved, although sometimes not in the most intelligent fashion. These were mostly in first few weeks, and I was grateful to have someone to reach out to.

9. I did not have any issues with luggage transfers, everything moved smoothly and no lost bags. In fact, on the second day, somewhere along the route I lost a little pochette that attaches to my daypack shoulder strap (where I kept glasses, hotel voucher, change purse, etc., nothing critical but annoying to lose). Another pilgrim found it and called the hotel, the hotel arranged with the luggage transfer guy to pick it up the next day, attach it to my luggage and deliver to next destination. I never learned who found it, neither the lady at the hotel nor the luggage transfer guy would accept a tip. A sweet Camino moment for me, in more than one way (but that's another topic).

10. I have thoughts on individual hotels I stayed, where I would stay again, where I would not, but I don't have the patience to go through a list of all 42! (sorry).

11. Lastly, this doesn't relate to tour companies, but only to language. I speak French (and on the Camino some days actually spoke French more than English), I learned a few words of Spanish, enough to communicate a few basic needs and could understand more than I could speak. But I found the Spanish people, many of whom spoke almost no English, uniformly kind and willing to work with me on issues that were more complicated than ordering food or finding toilettes. Google Translate filled in some gaps. In my experience, the French, for the most part, are less forgiving, and will pretend not to understand if your French is poor and won't try to understand if it's non existent. The Spanish all tried to work with the language limitations and be helpful, lovely country!

Bottom line: Does it cost more? Absolutely! Was it worth it? For me, yes at that time and for my first Camino. Would I do it again? Maybe or maybe not. I'm thinking about Le Puy, I speak French, so maybe that would make booking a little easier, I wouldn't worry about language issues. I now have a better understanding of how things work, what kind of distances I can do, the minimum services I'd like to find (and to do without where not available), but I'm pretty sure I would use luggage transfers (but then again, maybe not!). I think I would recommend using a company for someone doing their first Camino and having some doubts or feeling overwhelmed, but make sure they understood the pros and cons and how to check through the planned route. But now that I have a better feel for what's involved, I feel like I could make better choices for hotels and save 30%-50% of the price; I may make some unwise choices, but then that's on me and I can't get mad at the tour company.

I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time, but didn't think I COULD do it until I learned about booking private rooms and luggage transfers. It was an amazing experience, I'm so glad I did it, I treasured every minute (and my daypack was actually heavy). How many times have I read that the Camino taught some one to be less judgmental? What a great lesson. And don't all of you who stay in Albergues just wish that that really loud snoring guy would book a private room instead of keeping you up all night?

If using a booking company makes it POSSIBLE for someone to undertake a pilgrimage they otherwise feel they wouldn't be able to do, why belittle it?

I am sorry, but I don't think this thead was so much about belittling people who are using booking companies or being judgemental about people using booking companies. It is unfortunate if that is your conclusion from this thread, but I am glad the camino seems to have been a good experience for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in an albergue that had a large poster with the "house rules" translated into English, French, and German with "very important" at the top in all 4 languages. Unfortunately, the most important rule - to be quiet until 7:30 am was ignored by the only other occupant of my dorm when he set an audible alarm for 5am. 😠

Too bad. It could be a case of 'too many instructions, so people stop reading them ' ? In fact, I am just back from walking the Via Regia in Germany. In one albergue, the instructions were three pages long. The vicar - who showed me the albergue - gave them to me. but seemed rather embarrassed , so told me to ignore them and 'just behave how I would behave at home'.

Last edited:
oo bad. It could be a case of 'too many instructions, so people stop reading them ' ?
In this case there were only two or three rules, with special emphasis on the quiet hours, but there will always be someone who doesn't believe that the rules apply to them!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@CTLawGal

Thanks a lot for this detailed post, which I find very helpful. Especially for others who would like to walk the Camino, but feel overwhelmed by the complexity of planning to walk the path without support.

This makes it hopefully easier for those, who'd like to walk, but don't dare doing that the first time by themselves - for whatever reason.

But it's important to understand, that a good agency may take care of some of the hurdles which might occur during the Camino. But, like in your case, may not solve all of them satisfactorily.

It's great that you've described all the advantages and disadvantages of using an agency very objectively. So others do get a good picture of how reality may look like using an agency for the Camino. And then the right decision to use one or not might come easier.

I don't mind admitting, for me, it was never a question of planning the Camino on my own. I would never have thought of letting others do that. I like planning far too much, and I also find it very difficult when others make decisions for me. Especially on how many kilometers I'm going to walk the next day ;). But then, that's me. I know that others, on the other hand, find it very relieving not to have to make decisions in this regard. They like it to simply follow a plan.

We're all wired differently. Which makes interaction with others so very interesting for me ;).

Anyway and again: Thank you very much for your contribution.

Last edited:
I hesitate to reply to this thread (for reasons that are likely obvious), but since there are some who expressed interest in learning about the experience of using a tour company, I will share mine. And thank you to Liltravlr for taking the time to share a thoughtful summary of her experience.

What a great summary. Another very useful perspective. And thank you for sharing.

Just a couple of comments/thoughts to add.

For a week or so on my first Camino, I used a booking service that someone introduced me to.
The guy (based in Spain) would book my rooms a couple of days ahead. Just booking rooms, nothing else. I think he charged me 5 euros per booking.

At the time I thought it was a great help, as I was new to the whole thing.

In reality, I had to walk some really long days. We would text back and forth, with me saying "I can't walk 35 kms" (I was injured) and him just saying "sure you can do it".

I felt really pressured into walking distances that someone else was dictating. So I stopped using the service. I mostly used booking.com on that first Camino which was easy. (I now use Gronze and whatsapp which is very easy).

I suspect from the experience of talking to many others here and on Camino, who were using tour companies, that the whole focus can be just get them booked 'somewhere'! Particularly if it's busy on the route. On my last Camino I met two English guys who were at a total loss with regard to their tour company. Short days, long days, accommodation way off the route. They were quite angry. A common experience I think.

To a degree, on my first Camino I had similar anxieties to you. So using a tour company can seem like the answer.

It's easy in hindsight of course. But having walked a few Caminos now, my thinking has reversed. I'm used to checking out my route each evening, looking at places to stay, and booking a day or two ahead. Sometimes I don't book and just turn up. Some evenings it's fun to sit with other Pilgrims debating on where might be a good place to stay in the coming days. And we will often end up staying in the same places.

I'm probably at the stage now, where using a Tour Company in itself would be too stressful for me.

Sure the logistics would all be taken care of, and I would have someone to call if things went wrong. But really the only time I've had things go wrong, was that first Camino, when someone else was doing the logistics. If that makes sense. I wasn't in control of my own Camino. Which sucked. So I only used that booking service for a week or so.

Please don't read my comments as either for or against using Tour Companies. I totally understand why people use them. And if as you say, it gets some people to walk a Camino who otherwise would not have, then that's probably a good thing.

I just thought it worth mentioning, based on talking to lots of people I have met on Camino who used tour companies, and the very candid feedback some have provided here, that using a Tour Company can create stresses and anxieties of a different type.

But we don't know, till we try it...............

That's why this Forum is such an amazing resource. Particularly for those planning their first Camino.
I spent ages on here before my first and learnt so much from all the different advice and perspectives.

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences @CTLawGal . It's a great help to others.

Last edited:
using a Tour Company can create stresses and anxieties of a different type.
I totally agree, stresses that I didn't understand or contemplate at the time, but I I couldn't have done it first time without it, and each time I felt frustrated (or starting to get angry) with the FTC, I just reminded myself why I was walking and try to let it go, not let it bother me, but still note it as something to think about when (notice I didn't say "if") I do my next one. Knowing all this, I might still have chosen to use the same company for my first time, but I might have paid more attention to certain things, pushed back on other arrangements, etc. But I thought they knew what they were doing, and that really wasn't the case; I was naive to trust them. Live and learn, right? Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One last thing, FTC never raised the question of rest days with me, they just booked the full 6 weeks and never even asked me if I would like to take rest days. In fact, and this likely sounds really stupid, I never even knew people did take rest days, I thought everyone just walked straight through. It wasn't until I found this forum where I started to see questions like "I'm walking X days on this route, can you suggest [3] towns for rest days?" that I realized, People take rest days??!! By then it was too late to change plans, so I just went with the program. As it turned out, I'm glad I didn't plan rest days, although in the first two weeks I had two days where I was so tired that I took transportation to a mid-point and walked 5-6 miles to my destination, and those were my pseudo-rest days. So, FTC kinda messed up, but it turned out better for me, because if they had said many pilgrims take rest days, would you like to take any? I might have said yes, but it felt better to walk a slow pace for a short distance than just sit around. Likely someone has made that point on this forum before and had I found the forum earlier I might have figured it all out. But in the end it worked out, but not because FTC is some kind of Camino Ninja.

One last thing, FTC never raised the question of rest days with me, they just booked the full 6 weeks and never even asked me if I would like to take rest days. In fact, and this likely sounds really stupid, I never even knew people did take rest days, I thought everyone just walked straight through. It wasn't until I found this forum where I started to see questions like "I'm walking X days on this route, can you suggest [3] towns for rest days?" that I realized, People take rest days??!! By then it was too late to change plans, so I just went with the program. As it turned out, I'm glad I didn't plan rest days, although in the first two weeks I had two days where I was so tired that I took transportation to a mid-point and walked 5-6 miles to my destination, and those were my pseudo-rest days. So, FTC kinda messed up, but it turned out better for me, because if they had said many pilgrims take rest days, would you like to take any? I might have said yes, but it felt better to walk a slow pace for a short distance than just sit around. Likely someone has made that point on this forum before and had I found the forum earlier I might have figured it all out. But in the end it worked out, but not because FTC is some kind of Camino Ninja.

Good point!
And a good workaround.......

I think most people who do take rest days, tend to use a few strategies.
Which would be hard to do if booked through a tour company.
Or even if self booked, the whole way in advance.

Examples:
  1. Take short days as required if tired, unwell, injured.
  2. Take a full rest day if and when the body needs it. Might visit a medico etc.
  3. Take a rest day to 'see the sights' of somewhere special. Burgos, Leon, Merida etc.
  4. Told to take a rest day! By a medico of some kind. (saw that happen on last Camino)
I think for many people, rest days or short days happen, when they are needed........
So it can be hard to plan ahead for them.

Casa do Cabo Arzúa

It seems that overall the accommodation arrangements were satisfactory. If you have stayed in small hotels in Spain you frequently encounter hotels that have very limited staffing and sometimes not much of a front desk. Picking up your call on the first ring must be the exception not the rule. You will encounter these situations whether you book with an agency or book yourself. A short taxi ride to resolve the issue is not really a big deal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMHO, the Camino de Santiago is a scruffy old pilgrimage trail, forged over a thousand years by pilgrims for pilgrims -- people who purposefully foreswear their usual comforts and security as a spiritual discipline. A whole lot of other people use the trail for other things, but the modern-day route is really not suited for the suitcase/charming B&B/everything-taken-care-of tourist package. The tourism business is trying to twist the Camino de Santiago into a shape it will not hold.
Thousands of people are buying the package and the load of expectations that come with it. And thousands of people are being disappointed. It's inevitable.
And it's not sustainable.

Best post I've seen in a long time.

Nail firmly struck on the head as always.

It seems that overall the accommodation arrangements were satisfactory. If you have stayed in small hotels in Spain you frequently encounter hotels that have very limited staffing and sometimes not much of a front desk. Picking up your call on the first ring must be the exception not the rule.
It seems that the booking agency should have made her aware of this possibility.

Agree. I have done several self guided trips and have alway missed a turn, encountered pretty significant map and route confusion, missing signage, found our hotel 5 miles off the trail and 300m of uphill to start the following morning. You are correct the travel organizer should alert you to expect these challenges and be a problem solver. Just completed cycling the VF from Lucca to Rome. The following was on page 1 of our guide. You need to be a problem solver.
Self-guided cycling requires participants to use problem solving skills, be adaptable and have a keen eye. You should be comfortable with map reading and referring to route notes and have a good sense of direction (or be willing to work on improving this!).
At times route finding, losing your way and finding it again, or asking locals for help is all part of the adventure. If this is your first time on a self-guided trip, you will certainly get the hang of it after the first
couple of days, as do the vast majority of our first time travellers.
Please be assured that the written materials provided for route finding are updated regularly, and we provide a 24hr emergency phone you can call, should you need assistance.
There is a certain level of the unknown that comes with self-guided trips. However, with a methodical approach potential problems will be avoided. The freedom of a self-guided trip is something that, once experienced, is sought time and time again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spanish only would be a good start, since translation apps can be used.

Just as a matter of interest, when, at one point, we were looking at installing a "Alojamente Locale," which is the lodging that rural albergues would come under, in Portugal, I checked out the rules.

All establishments must have a "house rules and safety information" booklet available, in I think 4 languages, one of which is Portuguese, I think 1 English, and 2 others. We've stayed in AL and typically they also have French and German. Some of the translations can be quite intriguing.

Because these often are self-catering units, there tends to be a lot about safety like fire protection etc. Presumably opening hours etc. would be included as well.

These are Portuguese rules, Ministry of Tourism, across the country. A place can be shut down if someone reports the information is missing.

(The details of my recollection may be slightly off, but that's approximate it.)

I haven't followed enough of the OP's earlier threads to know if this was her first Camino Or whether her 2020 Camino did not go ahead as planned.
If you use a guided "tour"....that's fine by me. If you go unassisted...that's fine by me.
It did highlight difficulties with communication (not necessarily for herself but for others) with using this method and for those who can't tell their Salidas from their Llegadas.
As @Marc S. has stated that he was presented with a set of instructions and told to ignore them by a vicar when staying in Germany. I would suspect that this was in English and not German and he was spoken to in English and not German. Although his Native language might have helped him if not.
When it comes to the "rules of the house" and the protocols I should follow I have understood these as I have read enough threads on this forum. I have done my research.
How the OP travels may not be my choice but this was not my camino and she has described her experiences and thoughts in a different l, entertaining and informative way.
She may seem a square peg in a round hole to some but I found her posts interesting and different. Her posts were very up front, honest and transparent.
We are all that square peg to some degree or other.

Last edited:

I recently completed my first Camino (Norte to Primitivo to Finisterre/Muxia) booking with Follow the Camino, a total of 42 days and over 1000 km (620+ miles for the metric impaired - I include myself among you!).

Before outlining my thoughts on the experience of using FTC, for those who are trying not to be judgmental but find it challenging to understand why anyone would do this instead of backpacking and booking as you go, maybe this one pilgrim's thoughts will be helpful, but there may be many other reasons to arrange it this way.

For me personally, because it was my Camino, I did it because it WAS my first Camino. It was hard to really understand how it all worked, I had never undertaken anything of this magnitude before, and I have never backpacked and at 64 years old it did not seem like a smart idea to try to do something like this and try to backpack for first time, so felt I needed a luggage transfer. I also felt it was important to be able to sleep at night and for me that means a private room. The prospect of having to identify and book 42 hotels also seemed daunting. By using a booking company, one very critical, very daunting logistical aspect of convincing myself I could do the Camino was taken off the table. Additionally, as Liltravlr notes, if there were problems, I felt that I would have someone to turn to for help, not some soul-less website with no human beings on the other end. Related, my husband was a little worried about a single female walking in a distant land, and with FTC, if I didn't show up at my hotel on the designated day, the hotel would first call FTC, then FTC would call me, and if they couldn't contact me, they would contact my husband (I wasn't sure how useful that would be, I would likely be dead I guess, but it felt comforting to my husband to know that someone was tracking whether I showed up - this alone might have been worth the entire premium I paid, he's a worrier). So this was my thinking. I didn't discover the forum until about a month or so before I left (but booked about 6 months earlier).

Lastly, I understand the freedom and flexibility of just getting out there and doing it and figuring out your stops as you go, and to some extent I'm a little jealous of that and have now been asking myself if I COULD actually do it, next time. I can understand how some really like to figure it all out as they go and don't mind spending the afternoons after the walk working out the options, pre-booking or not. But can we all agree that different people have different needs, limitations, anxieties, desires (and yes, maybe different resources)? None of this makes someone better than anyone else. If using a booking company makes it POSSIBLE for someone to undertake a pilgrimage they otherwise feel they wouldn't be able to do, why belittle it?

Ok, enough of that, here's my experience with Follow the Camino:

1. They were great helping me before I left and redid my schedule a number of times as I changed my mind about Frances then Norte/Primitivo, then adding Finisterre/Muxia.

2. FTC seemed to have no actual idea of the distance between destinations, the route planner would indicate, say, 12 miles, and then by the time I hit mile 6 I knew I was no where near halfway, often it was 15 or 18 miles. They didn't seem to care, just said they use some guide or whatever. This doesn't seem to be unusual, at least based on some posts on this forum that I read after the fact, that the distances aren't well indicated. But, I did think FTC should have indicated that the distances indicated and actual experience are often different, erring only on the side of being longer than indicated, never shorter. After a while, I stopped caring, but the first few weeks were tough and not knowing how far I would have to walk that day made it tougher, mentally anyway. I might have modified my route somewhat had I known, but in the end it didn't actually matter.

3. I paid to upgrade accommodations, and that may have been a mistake because it may have resulted some hotels further off the route than I fully appreciated. The extra 45-60 minutes of walking that didn't seem too far on paper, was brutal on days when the distance actual distance walked was was significantly longer than that indicated on route.

4. The hotels were mostly ok (a couple of standouts, but mostly ok), but it wasn't always clear why they had chosen certain hotels. Some were too far off the route, others were really cheap (I remember one 20 euro room in particular - there were other better hotels in that town, all with availability, I checked that day) especially given the upgrade. They don't really care about where the book you, how long you have to walk to get there (take a taxi! adding 50 euros each way for one, for a not great room; there were other rooms available in the town that did not require taxis, I checked that day); in some cases, after long walks (including lots elevation gain), getting to the hotel involved either significant elevation gain (in one case, something like 400 meters in the last mile) or dangerous road conditions with no shoulder to walk on. By the end I felt they were really trying to cheat me, which I didn't like, but tried not to let it bother me because at that point there was nothing I could do about it.

5. There were days where the planner indicated I should take a taxi to the hotel, but didn't explain where to find a taxi. Ok, I know now that if there's a train station that's a good place to start, but I felt there should have been more explanation. There were also days where they SHOULD have indicated that a taxi must be taken, but for some reason they didn't.

6. I personally don't mind paying some premium to have the booking work taken care of, but some of their choices were simply incomprehensible. In particular, on one day, by the time I got to my destination, I realized that the next day's destination was less than 5 km (!) away. It was not possible to tell from the planner, which indicated it was about 10 miles, which for sure made it one of the shortest days , but I couldn't tell from the maps if the short length was intended as a rest day or because lots of elevation or what. I managed to fix the problem, skip that destination, make the next day longer, move a few reservations up a day and add an extra day in Finisterre, for an additional 80 euros or so. Annoying, but in the scheme of things not a lot of money and it was worth it. However, FTC refused to explain to me why they booked it that way, never answered my questions as to whether they knew it was 5 km, what their thinking was in booking a 5 km day, or to accept any responsibility for it. They just said it was my responsibility to review the bookings and ask them to make adjustments if I didn't think they would work. But that's why I was paying them a premium, and I couldn't figure it out based on the information I had. For me, this was the final straw when it comes to whether I would use them again, maybe all of them make similar mistakes, but after this I felt they really didn't know what they were doing, and then not being able to admit a mistake, even worse.

7. A lot of my bookings included half-board. I didn't think much about it when I reviewed the bookings, but I agree with the commenters about not paying for dinner. First of all, most didn't serve dinner until 8 pm, and it was better to eat with other pilgrims met along the way. Also, breakfast was included at all places, but I often left before the usual 7:30 or 8 am breakfast time, skipping breakfast. In many cases, it wasn't worth staying for it anyway, but in other places I was glad to have it where there wouldn't be many options along the way. Generally though I liked getting a cortado, maybe a tostado or tortilla, after a couple of hours of walking, but on the routes I walked that wasn't always a possibility (or maybe not until after 3 or 4 hours walking).

8. There were a few times I really needed some help along the way, and on those few occasions I was able to reach someone and usually my problem was solved, although sometimes not in the most intelligent fashion. These were mostly in first few weeks, and I was grateful to have someone to reach out to.

9. I did not have any issues with luggage transfers, everything moved smoothly and no lost bags. In fact, on the second day, somewhere along the route I lost a little pochette that attaches to my daypack shoulder strap (where I kept glasses, hotel voucher, change purse, etc., nothing critical but annoying to lose). Another pilgrim found it and called the hotel, the hotel arranged with the luggage transfer guy to pick it up the next day, attach it to my luggage and deliver to next destination. I never learned who found it, neither the lady at the hotel nor the luggage transfer guy would accept a tip. A sweet Camino moment for me, in more than one way (but that's another topic).

10. I have thoughts on individual hotels I stayed, where I would stay again, where I would not, but I don't have the patience to go through a list of all 42! (sorry).

11. Lastly, this doesn't relate to tour companies, but only to language. I speak French (and on the Camino some days actually spoke French more than English), I learned a few words of Spanish, enough to communicate a few basic needs and could understand more than I could speak. But I found the Spanish people, many of whom spoke almost no English, uniformly kind and willing to work with me on issues that were more complicated than ordering food or finding toilettes. Google Translate filled in some gaps. In my experience, the French, for the most part, are less forgiving, and will pretend not to understand if your French is poor and won't try to understand if it's non existent. The Spanish all tried to work with the language limitations and be helpful, lovely country!

Bottom line: Does it cost more? Absolutely! Was it worth it? For me, yes at that time and for my first Camino. Would I do it again? Maybe or maybe not. I'm thinking about Le Puy, I speak French, so maybe that would make booking a little easier, I wouldn't worry about language issues. I now have a better understanding of how things work, what kind of distances I can do, the minimum services I'd like to find (and to do without where not available), but I'm pretty sure I would use luggage transfers (but then again, maybe not!). I think I would recommend using a company for someone doing their first Camino and having some doubts or feeling overwhelmed, but make sure they understood the pros and cons and how to check through the planned route. But now that I have a better feel for what's involved, I feel like I could make better choices for hotels and save 30%-50% of the price; I may make some unwise choices, but then that's on me and I can't get mad at the tour company.

I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time, but didn't think I COULD do it until I learned about booking private rooms and luggage transfers. It was an amazing experience, I'm so glad I did it, I treasured every minute (and my daypack was actually heavy). How many times have I read that the Camino taught some one to be less judgmental? What a great lesson. And don't all of you who stay in Albergues just wish that that really loud snoring guy would book a private room instead of keeping you up all night?
Oh my gosh, well said, & thank you! You mentioned alot of why I used a company for my first time. I must say I was pretty happy with SW. I basically told them I didn’t want to do any more than about 12 K a day. It was more like 16 to 18, and I was OK with that, but that was my limit. I checked the mileage between each accommodation, and if it had been more, I would have said no before I left home.
42 hotels would be a lot to book!
We generally had breakfast at 7:30 & dinner at 7:30, except a few places where they were not included, then a little earlier. I am awake but can’t exercise without food first.
I like your writing style😁 Thanks for putting into words what I could not.

As @Marc S. has stated that he was presented with a set of instructions and told to ignore them by a vicar when staying in Germany. I would suspect that this was in English and not German and he was spoken to in English and not German.

Both instructions and conversation with the vicar were in German.

She may seem a square peg in a round hole to some but I found her posts interesting and different. Her posts were very up front, honest and transparent.
We are all that square peg to some degree or other.

I agree.

I met two sisters on the Camino del Norte this year who had booked their Camino through Mac's Adventures and seemed to be pleased overall, but apparently some of the route guidance wasn't the best. I showed them the apps that I was using - Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino and they downloaded them. I met them in Santiago at the end of their Camino, and they told me that in many instances the guidance from the apps was much better than what they had received from Mac's.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It may be because of the language barrier (Spanish >< English), but I sense the various "support" companies for the caminos do not look at this forum at all. Understandable, but regrettable.

An enormous amount of information, and feedback on routes/services/etc. etc. goes through here.

It may be because of the language barrier (Spanish >< English), but I sense the various "support" companies for the caminos do not look at this forum at all. Understandable, but regrettable.

An enormous amount of information, and feedback on routes/services/etc. etc. goes through here.
It does and I think the forum is brilliant for this.

I met two sisters on the Camino del Norte this year who had booked their Camino through Mac's Adventures and seemed to be pleased overall, but apparently some of the route guidance wasn't the best. I showed them the apps that I was using - Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino and they downloaded them. I met them in Santiago at the end of their Camino, and they told me that in many instances the guidance from the apps was much better than what they had received from Mac's.
Yes, I found I used all 3 at first, then maybe 1, then just glanced toward the end. I did appreciate SW’s dossier at the beginning as I just tucked the paper in my pocket.😁

FTC just gave me a guide book! I somehow lost it the second week. Couldn’t have done it without Wise Pilgrim (and Google maps to find my hotel once I reached my destination). I am hopeless with maps, the cues in the book were confusing to me anyway. Even with route markings I took several wrong turns during the 6 weeks, never really lost, but Wise Pilgrim got me back on track

Oh my gosh, well said, & thank you! You mentioned alot of why I used a company for my first time. I must say I was pretty happy with SW. I basically told them I didn’t want to do any more than about 12 K a day. It was more like 16 to 18, and I was OK with that, but that was my limit. I checked the mileage between each accommodation, and if it had been more, I would have said no before I left home.
42 hotels would be a lot to book!
We generally had breakfast at 7:30 & dinner at 7:30, except a few places where they were not included, then a little earlier. I am awake but can’t exercise without food first.
I like your writing style😁 Thanks for putting into words what I could not.
This is amazing, so well written (especially about the snoring dude!) 😂. Thank you thank you! Immensely helpful for this girl who wouldn’t be do in this had I not found a tour company. Such great perspective. ♥️

FTC just gave me a guide book! I somehow lost it the second week. Couldn’t have done it without Wise Pilgrim (and Google maps to find my hotel once I reached my destination). I am hopeless with maps, the cues in the book were confusing to me anyway. Even with route markings I took several wrong turns during the 6 weeks, never really lost, but Wise Pilgrim got me back on track
Very brave of you to do 6 weeks your first time!

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.