• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pocket coin pouch for those EU coins?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
OK this is kinda trivial- but it BUGS me so much ..... those EU coins jangling around in my pockets - heavy, damaging the pocket material. So I've decided to bring some type of a pocket-size coin purse or pouch.

OMG there are TONS of them. Buit none seem to be quite right -
Looking for something that is easy to access, small enough to fit in a pants pocket but yet big enough to hold a few EUs worth of coins, lightweight, durable.

Does someone have one that they like? I used zip lock bags the last time and yes they work but they are too big for a few EUs worth of coins and they "gob up" my pockets.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi

It's not a pouch but I use something like that:
simple, unbreakable, lightweight and free

Attachments

• 1708052409645.png
    1708052409645.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 244
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
consider getting the smallest size dry bag on Amazon. It will have the clip to fasten so you can attach to your belt, backpack, or just carry like a little purse, which is what I’ve done.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know this is not what you asked about, but it is another option.
I have made a little crossbody bag that I will wear AT ALL TIMES - the front pocket which is most easily accessed takes notes and coins. The two inside (under the flap) pockets take my passport/Visa card and phone. I also attached a wee lip balm holder so I can access it easily.
It’s not the lightest contraption, but it was made by hand from all recycled materials and that gives me joy!
IMG_3823.jpegIMG_3824.jpegIMG_3826.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi

You're better off putting the coins in your pocket and using this paper clip for what it was made for.

Attachments

• 16927720307e3940283abbcccc51e4b0866c409b8d_thumbnail_720x.jpg
    16927720307e3940283abbcccc51e4b0866c409b8d_thumbnail_720x.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 254
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just use the coin pouch in my jeans, both on the Camino and off.

Hi

Whilst ingenious, I think @MARSKA is trying to minimise the damage to her pockets not increase it....17080685058931272733348545603190.jpg

This is mine, bought at a local bookstore - they're everywhere here in Germany. Solid keyring - don't want to lose the house key, plus place for a couple of small notes and/ or my debit card.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got this somewhere along the Camino Frances I believe. It's about perfect!

View attachment 164256
I was just about to recommend that style! My 80 year-old father lives in Spain and owns one like that and it’s perfect. The best part is that the coins “spill out” onto the flat part when opened making it so easy to see the coins. The leather is worn and soft after years of use, so it’s just perfect! They sell them on Etsy but I would wait and buy it on the Camino. This way you have a souvenir and it will be more special. Until you find one, you can try using one of those small zippered pouches that sometimes come with wired headphones. They are round, open flat and are lightweight.

I got this somewhere along the Camino Frances I believe. It's about perfect!

View attachment 164256
My Italian father had one identical to that. I'm sure one of us five kids has it "somewhere" in our belongings. I always thought it very cool. If it easily held bill, too, I would possibly like one for nostalgia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I got this somewhere along the Camino Frances I believe. It's about perfect
I've used one of these for decades and I agree, it's perfect!

My 80 year-old father lives in Spain and owns one like that and it’s perfect. The best part is that the coins “spill out” onto the flat part when opened making it so easy to see the coins.
When I lived in France and I'd pull out that coin purse, all my work colleagues would tease me by saying; "all the old men have those!" They might be right, but they're the perfect solution for keeping coins.

OK this is kinda trivial- but it BUGS me so much ..... those EU coins jangling around in my pockets - heavy, damaging the pocket material. So I've decided to bring some type of a pocket-size coin purse or pouch.

Looking for something that is easy to access, small enough to fit in a pants pocket but yet big enough to hold a few EUs worth of coins, lightweight, durable.

Does someone have one that they like? I used zip lock bags the last time and yes they work but they are too big for a few EUs worth of coins and they "gob up" my pockets.
I use the patented "Taxi Wallet." Search for it on Amazon. I have a separate, brightly colored one for Camino use. Here is as search link to the US site.

It holds all my quick to hand cards, folding money and has a coin purse. It rides in a front pocket on my cargo pants. I never carry a wallet in any rear facing pocket.

This is my at home wallet - in a more subdued color for home use as well. So, I keep my EU-wallet loaded with left over €€€ where I keep my passport when at home. I only move needed cards, like my US driver's license and insurance cards, just before traveling.

It is a system I developed over many decades of traveling.

Hope this helps,

Tom

As a child living in Europe when every country had its own currency, my Dad would find his trouser pockets beginning to rip out so he had a little purse/bag for business and family travel with several zippered compartments to keep the money separated. It was not common for American men to have a "purse" in the 60's and 70's, but it was a practical solution.

Fewer currencies to keep separated today, but still a practical idea to have at least one coin purse.

I also recall the huge wallet the waiters would have rolled up their apron pockets where they would sort through and give out the change when you paid your bill. No tap or swipe then!

I have two small leather pouches, the larger one I carry my id's, large bills and cards, no coins. It has a ring on it and I attach it inside my Fanny pack. The second smaller one I carry in my pants pocket with all the coins and only enough paper money for one day. If I was to loose it, no huge deal. Git them at Bentleys, a luggage store.
Enjoy 😉

You can buy a beautiful little leather coin purse for about Euro 15 or go into an Asian store and get a cheap but nearly identical one for one Euro. Like Canadian Loonies and Toonies the weight of Euro coins does add up fast so I try to dispense frequently. Always have on hand several one Euro coins for vending machines, laundry, tips, etc. I carry them in the top flap of my backpack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi Marska,
let me ask you - and those who are in doubt how to carry coins -
how do you carry coins at home? 🤔

I live in Spain and since COVID, I can't really remember the last time we used euro coins, everything with Google or Apple Pay

I know this is not what you asked about, but it is another option.
I have made a little crossbody bag that I will wear AT ALL TIMES - the front pocket which is most easily accessed takes notes and coins. The two inside (under the flap) pockets take my passport/Visa card and phone. I also attached a wee lip balm holder so I can access it easily.
It’s not the lightest contraption, but it was made by hand from all recycled materials and that gives me joy!
View attachment 164258View attachment 164259View attachment 164260
Are you currently taking orders? Also how much would adding a little Canadian flag 🇨🇦 add to the cost? 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live in Spain and since COVID, I can't really remember the last time we used euro coins, everything with Google or Apple Pay
Some places in the smaller villages in Spain are still cash only. Portugal, even more so. Obviously, the busier routes like the Frances, are more likely to accept card. Always good to have a little cash though, just to avoid getting caught out. (IMO)

how do you carry coins at home?
I don't. Mostly they either end up in the cup holder in the car or a container on my desk.

For the most part, I don't even carry any currency, coin or other.

You're better off putting the coins in your pocket and using this paper clip for what it was made for.
View attachment 164261

I have used one of these at home and abroad for years for folding bills. Fold a small stack of bills in half, clamp down on the fold and then fold the "levers" over the open end of the bills. Neat and compact and easy to access. When I travel, I use a small leather coin purse. The heavier Canadian "loonies" and "toonies" go into a jar at home. When I have enough of them, I roll them and take them to the bank and exchange them for Euros for my next trip. Part of the trip planning is watching the jar fill up.

I used zip lock bags the last time and yes they work but they are too big for a few EUs worth of coins and they "gob up" my pockets
Save some money, make custom sized ziplock bags with store bought ones, a wooden cutting board and a heated knife. I've not done this but I've seen this hack done with an old knife and using the dull edge of the knife. You can cut the bottom of the bag too to make it square shaped.

It’s too easy just to hand notes over which of course means lots of change. Keep any coin over €1 and ensure you always use them first, where possible. They soon dwindle. As for the rest, there are plenty of charity boxes that will thank you for your small donations. Or a ‘tip, here or there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I usually take something like this little cotton 'coin purse'. It only lasts for one Camino, but it's cheap as chips from Ali Express. There is one zippered compartment on the front and another zipper along the edge with two compartments inside. Weight is about 25 grams.

Attachments

• wallet 3.jpg
    wallet 3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 57
  • wallet 2.jpg
    wallet 2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 76

I walked with a "belt wallet" that looped on my belt and then tucked inside my pants/shorts. It carried passport, cards, id, and cash. Plus a separate zippered pouch that I used for coins.

This: https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-RFID-Blocking-Hidden/dp/B00I5IWC1E/?tag=casaivar02-20

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Marska,
how do you carry coins at home? 🤔
Hi Camineiro - I see you are from Germany - it's different in the US where I live - we don't have as many coins and the ones we do have are much lighter in general than the EU coins. We only have pennies (1cent or 1/100th of a dollar), nickels ( 5 cents), dimes, (10 cents), and quarters (25 cents). Anything larger is paper and thus much lighter (with the exception of the very rare 50 cent piece). I carry spare coins in a zippered area of my wallet, but there are never very many. When they do eventually accumulate I dump them in a jar - which again eventually I take to the bank to be counted and exchanged for paper money.

I usually take something like this little cotton 'coin purse'. It only lasts for one Camino, but it's cheap as chips from Ali Express. There is one zippered compartment on the front and another zipper along the edge with two compartments inside. Weight is about 25 grams.
About how much does it hold? big enough but not too big?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think I want one without a zipper - a squeeze or pop-open type. I only need it for coins - nothing else.
Maybe one of those plastic squeeze thingies? Or leather?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just the thing...

Attachments

• IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
I met a German pilgrim with the coolest coin holder - it organized Euros by denomination. I searched for years without luck, but thanks to this question I looked again and found something similar.

@timinOK, My dad had one of those too. I can still feel that particular rubbery plastic as I'd play with it as a child and squeeze it open/close. It was quite small; not sure if it would hold many coins. A somewhat bigger size would be a good option, but I've never seen a larger version. You could leave the chain at home to save on weight.😅

€60,-

Using the small zippered pouches on either side of my backpack solved the problem for me.

Save some money, make custom sized ziplock bags with store bought ones, a wooden cutting board and a heated knife. I've not done this but I've seen this hack done with an old knife and using the dull edge of the knife. You can cut the bottom of the bag too to make it square shaped.
I had a ziplock bag as my camino wallet and I DON'T recommend it 😆 (unless you plan on buying something on the way). Sooner or later it rips.

Yes. Coin purse was a must have. Also fanny bag with valuables that never, never leaves your person, even in the shower. One more thing. Look closely, Tiny red light flashlight. Enough light to visit the restroom at night and preparing to leave before day light.

Attachments

• 20240108_110824.jpg
    20240108_110824.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is exactly what I use instead of a purse in my everyday life - and on the Camino. There is space for a few folded bills and cards (drivers license, membership cards, etc.) in the main section and space for coins in the smaller sections. It fits in my pocket and it is much sturdier than I had expected. Perfect!!

Binder clips are SO useful, you can:

1. Keep your shower curtain from blowing in on you while showering, close the gap on hotel curtains.

2. Attach holiday lights to the edge of a shelf or bookcase, or the top of your cubicle.

3. Ditch flimsy plastic chip clips for a binder clip.

4. Keep bags of frozen food closed and less prone to freezer burn.

5. Clip those bags to the underside of wire shelves in your freezer to maximize storage space.

6. Make a phone stand.

7. Stop your charging cables from slipping off your desk by adding a clip to the edge and feeding the cable through the handle.

8. Roll up your toothpaste tube and clip in place.

9. Organize cables on your desk or entertainment system by rolling them up and securing with a clip.

10. Make a DIY yarn bowl by adding a clip to the side of a bowl. Put yarn in the bowl and feed the yarn through the handles. This stops yarn balls or skeins from rolling away while knitting or crocheting.

11. Clip to the top of your trash can, over the bag, so the bag won't slip down.

12. Add a clip to the end of a wrapping paper roll so it won't unravel in storage.

13. Clip together socks so they don't get lost in the dryer. Just make sure to inspect them often and toss if they develop any rust.

14. Turn a regular hanger into a pants hanger by adding clips.

15. Clip together your duvet and duvet cover to keep the cover in place while you're putting it on.

16. Use one as a bookmark.

17. Stop your headphones from unravelling in your bag by rolling them and clipping in place.

18. Clip a pen to the edge of your notebook or journal.

19. Hold open a cookbook page while cooking by clipping together the pages and cover on both edges of the book.

20. Clip to the edge of a pot and slide in a cooking thermometer for a makeshift candy thermometer.

21. Keep bags of food in place while cooking sous vide by clipping them to the edge of your water bath container.

22. Clip together hair ties, bobby pins, etc and then clip them to pockets in your toiletries bag.

23. Hang up string and clip photos to it for a quick and easily changeable art gallery.

24. Clip an extra-large binder clip to the edge of your desk and hang your headphones on the handles.

25. Hold outdoor tablecloths in place on a windy day.

26. Clip together your dish gloves and hang them on a hook on the back of your kitchen cabinet door.

I've got one of these

PAPER WALLET
1708164600144.png

It holds a surprising amount of coins and opens with the flick of the wrist. Fits neatly into that little knife pocket on the right side of a pair of jeans . . . except nobody in their right mind would wear jeans on a hike.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is exactly what I use instead of a purse in my everyday life - and on the Camino. There is space for a few folded bills and cards (drivers license, membership cards, etc.) in the main section and space for coins in the smaller sections. It fits in my pocket and it is much sturdier than I had expected. Perfect!!

Me too 🙂

Mine has a keyring attached to it which I use with a crab to connect it to my belt loop. It slips into my pocket.
Same arrangement on the other side for my keys.
Stops me losing things and makes things difficult for pickpockets 🙂

I live in a rural area and the chances of meeting a pickpocket are few and far between but this way of carrying my cash and cards is habitual and so I don’t have to think about it when I venture into the city.

1. Keep your shower curtain from blowing in on you while showering, close the gap on hotel curtains.

2. Attach holiday lights to the edge of a shelf or bookcase, or the top of your cubicle.

5. Clip those bags to the underside of wire shelves in your freezer to maximize storage space.

6. Make a phone stand.

7. Stop your charging cables from slipping off your desk by adding a clip to the edge and feeding the cable through the handle.

9. Organize cables on your desk or entertainment system by rolling them up and securing with a clip.

10. Make a DIY yarn bowl by adding a clip to the side of a bowl. Put yarn in the bowl and feed the yarn through the handles. This stops yarn balls or skeins from rolling away while knitting or crocheting.

11. Clip to the top of your trash can, over the bag, so the bag won't slip down.

12. Add a clip to the end of a wrapping paper roll so it won't unravel in storage.

13. Clip together socks so they don't get lost in the dryer. Just make sure to inspect them often and toss if they develop any rust.

15. Clip together your duvet and duvet cover to keep the cover in place while you're putting it on.

17. Stop your headphones from unravelling in your bag by rolling them and clipping in place.

19. Hold open a cookbook page while cooking by clipping together the pages and cover on both edges of the book.

20. Clip to the edge of a pot and slide in a cooking thermometer for a makeshift candy thermometer.

21. Keep bags of food in place while cooking sous vide by clipping them to the edge of your water bath container.

22. Clip together hair ties, bobby pins, etc and then clip them to pockets in your toiletries bag.

23. Hang up string and clip photos to it for a quick and easily changeable art gallery.

24. Clip an extra-large binder clip to the edge of your desk and hang your headphones on the handles.

26. Clip together your dish gloves and hang them on a hook on the back of your kitchen cabinet door.

Brilliant, Jeff!!!
😎😂👏🏼

Jeff, your list of "clip" possibilities is genius. I use about five of them in my daily life.
Nice to see you "out and about" lately on the forum again.🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I use the smaller front zipper pocket on my Fanny pack for the days cash (both bills and coins). The main compartment holds my phone, passport in a baggie, lipstick and the Brierley pages for the day.

I was just about to recommend that style! My 80 year-old father lives in Spain and owns one like that and it’s perfect. The best part is that the coins “spill out” onto the flat part when opened making it so easy to see the coins. The leather is worn and soft after years of use, so it’s just perfect! They sell them on Etsy but I would wait and buy it on the Camino. This way you have a souvenir and it will be more special. Until you find one, you can try using one of those small zippered pouches that sometimes come with wired headphones. They are round, open flat and are lightweight.
I have one given to me by Australian friends-- they are unknown in my part of Canada, and have drawn the admiration of cashiers and baristas everyhere.

You can buy a beautiful little leather coin purse for about Euro 15 or go into an Asian store and get a cheap but nearly identical one for one Euro. Like Canadian Loonies and Toonies the weight of Euro coins does add up fast so I try to dispense frequently. Always have on hand several one Euro coins for vending machines, laundry, tips, etc. I carry them in the top flap of my backpack.
I agree with Jerry. Go to china/asian/bazaar store and handle the options to find the one you like. They are cheap, no postage cost and support the local businesses. You will find one that holds paper and coins for daily use.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

IMG_0799.jpegIMG_0800.jpeg

I have used this leather pouch for as long as I remember. Purchased it off Amazon.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Are you currently taking orders? Also how much would adding a little Canadian flag 🇨🇦 add to the cost? 😊
I believe you have a substantial stash of Canadian pins and could add your own! Just like I added the camino pin to mine...
IMG_3836.jpeg
You send me the dimensions of whatever you’d want to keep in one and I’ll keep a lookout for leery-coloured jeans to transform into something @GuyA-worthy that will match his shoes and Packa!

Last edited:
If you (or a friend) has a vacuum sealer in the kitchen then just use the heat seal section. IKEA's heavyweight bags that close with a pinch rather than a slider are quite durable - I usually seal two lines across the bottom edge just to be sure.

Before I left, I went to the dollar store and bought a little girl's coin purse for a dollar. It had a cute little kitten on the side. Even cuter than the one below.
I am older and uglier than dirt, so the incongruity of me hauling out my coin purse was hilarious. More than a few store clerks laughed when they saw it. It had the advantage that if anyone found it, there was a slightly higher chance that someone might make the connection that it was mine, and return it.

1708293824508.png

This is exactly what I do. Easier to cut with scissors and reinforce edges with scotch/cello tape. super light and water/sweat proof as store in zipped leg pocket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

6. Make a phone stand.

I use binder clips for tons of the things around the house for sure ! Yet on the Camino I use them as clothes pegs. Super light and hardly take up any space ! Many years ago a fellow Korean pilgrim taught me that trick on the VdlP!

I believe you have a substantial stash of Canadian pins and could add your own! Just like I added the camino pin to mine...
View attachment 164407
You send me the dimensions of whatever you’d want to keep in one and I’ll keep a lookout for leery-coloured jeans to transform into something @GuyA-worthy that will match his shoes and Packa!
😂 Yes I had quite the stash of Canadian lapel pins when I started my long walk from Rorschach Switzerland…2,000 or so…a few bundles sent in advance to a few locations along the Camino routes…and then all plans went south 🙄. In the end I did hand them out so no lapel pins left. Was thinking a sown on CDN cloth patch might be best. 😊

However @Kiwi-family you raise a very important point about colour matching in addition to dimensions etc so I will have to give this much more thought before a formal order request is made. 🤣

Our Canadian $1 and $2 coins are a similar problem ... slightly larger than the Euro coins, but slightly thinner, so about the same weight. I dug out my Boy Scout coin purse from 60 years ago and it fills the bill ... handily slides onto my belt.1708366220840.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

When my wife bought me something Camino-related from one of the Etsy vendors for Christmas, she got me this change pouch, too.20240220_145010.jpg

I love this little coin purse. It is waterproof, holds just enough coins to remind me to spend them before it gets "too heavy", and fits perfectly in my backpack hip belt. I got mine from Amazon.
1708460885975.png

Last edited:
This fits right on your belt:
VINTAGE MCGILL HIGH SPEED COIN CHANGER -JL  GALEF NEW YORK-5 BARREL COIN CHANGER - Picture 1 of 6

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back