• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I pack backup eyeglasses?

wynrich

Time of past OR future Camino
CF13, CF14, CP16, VF17, CN18, CN19, CF22, CE23
I'm pretty helpless without glasses and I've always brought an extra pair of eyeglasses as a backup in case my main pair are lost or broken. But, I'm re-considering for our upcoming camino (leaving in a week!) because over many caminos and other trips I've never needed the backup and I am also taking my computer/reading glasses and with those I'm not as helpless. I would not be able to enjoy the distant views but would have no problem getting around, etc. Those would tide me over until I could get a new pair made. My question is: would I be able to use my USA eyeglass prescription in Spain? Has anyone had any experience with that. I have a bit of a complicated prescription and it often takes longer than usual for it to be fulfilled, even at home. So wondering if it would be comparable in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Absolutely! I use cheap “readers” and carry several since accidentally dropping/breaking/scratching/losing them would be tragic! Plus the weight is minimal and the reward for having a spare pair undeniable. While you can find somewhere in Spain to replace a difficult prescription, that is not true in most of the small villages you’ll be walking through and not in most of the larger cities unless you want to wait a day or two (or week)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just have a copy of my prescription. Rather than bother with another set, I figure I can always find an optician if I had to and get an emergency set made to get me by.
If you were to lose or break your glasses it might be several days before you could get them replaced! So a lot depends on how well you can see without them! I prefer not to interrupt my walking.

Last edited:
I save older glasses to carry on hiking and long distance treks. They can be a little “off” so I pick up a pair of readers and wear those over top. Looks weird, but it keeps my progressives safe on my desk at home.
Would something like that be an option?
I ask because I’d just be so so so out of luck if I were to take and lose 2 pairs of current script out there…
Many insurance plans only allow a replacement of glasses every 2 years (and that’s if you have the coverage at all), so I thought I’d toss that out there as a consideration. I can’t read anything without my glasses…. But I can make it around objects and tell the difference between the commode and the bidet…
Those with worse or better eyesight might have a different calculus of what they can afford to live without, and what they can’t do without.
I will say that I love my silicon glasses “chain” for holding onto my sunglasses, and I also love the pocket on my pack that is lined with “glasses and tech device” protective fabric. Scratched glasses are loathsome, but I have found a carrying case an extra annoyance on camino.
I hope you can find a nice solution.

This depends hugely on how helpless you are without them. I have two pairs of progressives - one for computer and one for reading-to-long-distance. I can function perfectly well with my computer glasses, even outdoors, although road signs and such are not quite as clear. I would quickly get used to them and be satisfied to wear them. So I am happy with them as my spares. I wouldn't want to try to get new ones while on the Camino.

Be sure to bring your spare glasses in a hard case, since they may get tossed around in your backpack.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm pretty helpless without glasses and I've always brought an extra pair of eyeglasses as a backup in case my main pair are lost or broken. But, I'm re-considering for our upcoming camino (leaving in a week!) because over many caminos and other trips I've never needed the backup and I am also taking my computer/reading glasses and with those I'm not as helpless. I would not be able to enjoy the distant views but would have no problem getting around, etc. Those would tide me over until I could get a new pair made. My question is: would I be able to use my USA eyeglass prescription in Spain? Has anyone had any experience with that. I have a bit of a complicated prescription and it often takes longer than usual for it to be fulfilled, even at home. So wondering if it would be comparable in Spain.
A few years ago I had a woman with me who lost her prescription glasses in a snowstorm between Orisson and Roncesvalles. Luckily she had a pair of prescription sunglasses with her and she had to complete the entire Camino in sunglasses. She was otherwise pretty much blind and without those sunglasses, her Camino would have been ruined. We tried at several cities, starting in Pamplona, to find an optician to make new ones, and the turnaround for glasses, even with her prescription, was WEEKS, not days.

So I tell all of my pilgrims to bring an extra pair.
if yours are spendy, try ZENNI. The glasses take about 4 weeks to arrive, and they're from China, but they're cheap (often under $20) and they are just as good as the ones you pay $500 for here, imo.
You can even "try them on" on their website.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do take take a spare pair if possible.

November 2012 I walked quickly in order to "make hay while the sun shone". Mid morning/ mid stride my glasses frame suddenly broke but not the lens which both fell onto the path.

I can see close up without glasses but the distance takes on the dappled look of a Renoir. This was not an efficient way to scan for yellow arrows marking a camino path.

Upon arrival at Santo Domingo de la Calzada the Santos hospitalero kindly took me to a nearby optician. A new frame had to be found to refit the lens.

I spent the next 2 days looking VERY closely at handsome sculpture within the cathedral. However all was finally refitted and I could see those distant arrows once again. ...On future caminos I always carried a spare pair.

Last edited:
I used to wear contacts; now I prefer glasses, but I still keep a small supply of contacts for special occasions. When I travel, I always bring a few of the tiny disposable contacts packets, just in case something happens to my glasses. Otherwise I would be walking into things. So that’s another option.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was younger (and probably more optimistic) I did not take a spare pair, now I do.

But I have had an actual experience walking with someone who needed to get a new pair made because one of her lenses fell and and was lost on the flight to Spain. We landed in Madrid and she was able to get a replacement made and installed in her existing spectacles within a day. She was lucky in that the optician had a workshop out the back, and he had the right sized lenses, and he was able to carry out the prescription adjustment.

I have two pairs that I take. One has progressive lenses, which is great for driving, reading etc, but not great for walking where the bottom of the lenses makes the ground in front of my feet out of focus. The other pair have 'plain' lenses with just my distance correction. Great for walking, but not for reading. I can drive in them if I accept that the instrument panel is a little out of focus.

I also have a copy of my script, but my experience is that it has never taken less than a week to get replacement lenses, and sometimes much longer. While it might be possible to arrange a complete replacement through an on-line provider, and have the glasses delivered post restante, the uncertainties around matching their delivery time and your schedule would be a little more difficult than I would want to manage.

If you were contemplating this, in addition to your script, you will also need to know your interocular distance, bridge width and temple length.

While on the subject of carrying spares - of anything - , we are often advised that Spain is a first world country, with pharmacies everywhere; therefore there is no need to bring everything from home. However, the local pharmacy may not open till 10.00 am and you want to start walking at 8.00 am or earlier. Also, whatever you buy comes in larger quantities than you want to carry. I always bring from home tiny amounts of creams, toothpaste, shampoo, after-sun, heel balm, antiseptic (just about everything!) a lot in those little black plastic cases that 35mm film used to come in. Then I don't have to waste time looking for these items in Spain.

I broke the frame on my glasses in a fall on my camino last fall. I had been told that my travel medical insurance (which cost well over $1,000) would cover replacement if they were broken. My frame was stuck together by a hospitalera at the albergue where I stayed the night after my fall with some kind of miracle plastic glue, which lasted until I got home. Then I discovered that my frame was no longer being made and I would have to buy new lenses to fit in a different frame (total cost approximately $900). The insurance would pay nothing, as it only paid if the new glasses were made up in the country where I was travelling. And the maximum which it would have paid then was only $300 Can. Fortunately, I was directed to an optician who found a frame that my lenses would fit into and installed them for a reasonable price. The miracle plastic which had held the frame together was still intact, and so difficult to cut off that it might well have lasted until I needed new lenses. I had my current prescription with me in Spain, but did not need to use it. Even so, I am unlikely to carry spare glasses. My lenses are expensive, and so I do not get new ones until I need them and the glasses which I wore to Spain were new, replacing old and badly scratched lenses. The old ones weren't worth using, or carrying. I shall just have to stay on my feet in future.

Yes.

My wife lost her prescription varifocals last year in Spain. Fortunately her reduced sight is not complicated and we were easily able to get simple reading glasses of the right strength in the Pharmacy. Good for reading, not for driving, but it worked until we got home to get her backup pair.

For me, I'm not risking two expensive pairs of varifocals on holiday, I'll take one pair and buy a cheap set in the Pharmacy for reading if required.

My backup pair will stay at home as it can take weeks to get a replacement set made up.

As we travel as a pair, its unlikely we would both lose our glasses at the same time and one of us can still read. But, if travelling alone I can understand the need to carry two sets.

And yes, I do understand other people have worse eyesight than mine, this is just my own story.

I'm shortsighted, and don't need glasses for reading, but do for distances. So buying cheap reading glasses is no substitute. My backup pair is one where the script has expired. So not the best, but they will do until I get home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have prescription sunglasses as my back up set. I can read and see with them as well as my regular glasses.
A refinement is to have "photochromic" sunglasses which can be used indoors in the evening if necessary - they do not become entirely "clear" but are perfectly usable. I updated the prescription recently so they are suitable for driving.
I wear my photochromics on a cord in daytime. I dislike wearing them while actually walking as they are also multifocal (progressive) but are easily available for map-reading. I carry an out-of-date clear pair for evening while my latest version is safely at home.

Be
My wife lost her prescription varifocals last year in Spain. Fortunately her reduced sight is not complicated and we were easily able to get simple reading glasses of the right strength in the Pharmacy. Good for reading, not for driving, but it worked until we got home to get her backup pair.

For me, I'm not risking two expensive pairs of varifocals on holiday, I'll take one pair and buy a cheap set in the Pharmacy for reading if required.

My backup pair will stay at home as it can take weeks to get a replacement set made up.

As we travel as a pair, its unlikely we would both lose our glasses at the same time and one of us can still read. But, if travelling alone I can understand the need to carry two sets.

And yes, I do understand other people have worse eyesight than mine, this is just my own story.
Baring in mind that if you do drive in Spain and need eyesight correction to drive then you have to have spare glasses by law.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course bring an extra pair. Why wouldn't you?
Because if I break one and lose one then I have none at home and would have to wait for insurance coverage (every 2 years) or pay $900 for each pair of *just lenses* + whatever frames….
That’s why I take my “spare” from home that has the older script in it, and buy a cheap pair of readers to wear over top for when I have to read.

Others might easily be in a similar boat.

I envy my sister and her package of disposable contacts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But I have had an actual experience walking with someone who needed to get a new pair made because one of her lenses fell and and was lost on the flight to Spain. We landed in Madrid and she was able to get a replacement made and installed in her existing spectacles within a day. She was lucky in that the optician had a workshop out the back, and he had the right sized lenses, and he was able to carry out the prescription adjustment.
One might not be so lucky if new glasses are needed in the middle of the Meseta!

I am not helpless without mine and would not even consider traveling anywhere and not bringing a second pair. They basically weigh nothing and stay packed with my travel gear.

One might not be so lucky if new glasses are needed in the middle of the Meseta!
Agreed! We spent hours mid Camino looking for an optician because my husband did not bring a second pair. His glass fell out and the only luck attached to that is that I speak fluent Spanish and was able to call and locate the store and then head out in that direction (well away from our route).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do a cost-benefit analysis. The way I see it:
Costs are minimal -- Eyeglasses don't weigh much nor take up much room in your pack.
Benefits are huge -- you can see and more fully enjoy your Camino.
YMMV.
Buen Camino.

Because if I break one and lose one then I have none at home and would have to wait for insurance coverage (every 2 years) or pay $900 for each pair of *just lenses* + whatever frames….
That’s why I take my “spare” from home that has the older script in it, and buy a cheap pair of readers to wear over top for when I have to read.

Others might easily be in a similar boat.

I envy my sister and her package of disposable contacts.
Zenni is a great option.

Absolutely! I use cheap “readers” and carry several since accidentally dropping/breaking/scratching/losing them would be tragic! Plus the weight is minimal and the reward for having a spare pair undeniable. While you can find somewhere in Spain to replace a difficult prescription, that is not true in most of the small villages you’ll be walking through and not in most of the larger cities unless you want to wait a day or two (or week)
I buy a three pack at costco. I take them all. I have bought readers in pharmacies in Spain. Although the glasses are alot more stylish and I think better made, the price of one is about the same as the 3 pack at Costco.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

ZENNI.
ZENNI.
ZENNI.

You can get glasses there for under $20 as backups.
You just send them your prescription.
You can "try on" frames online.
Works great.
Good quality for backups.
I use them all the time.

I just have a copy of my prescription. Rather than bother with another set, I figure I can always find an optician if I had to and get an emergency set made to get me by.
You
You would be surprised how few opticians you see outside of the larger cities. The second pair in a soft case will take up very little space or add any significant weight.
Take the additional glasses.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are many items that one can jettison, as we learned on our first camino. But at an extra pair of glasses adds neglible weight and you would lose time ordering a new pair. I honestly don't see how not carrying an extra pair offers more upside than downside.

I always like to say that I never lost or broke any glasses despite walking 8 different camino paths. But I quickly add that I attribute this to the fact that I carry an extra pair. I'm willing to bet that if I only carried one pair, someplace high on a hill in the middle of nowhere I would drop it and step on it. The camino provides, as we well know, but it can also take away.

I learned the lesson that backups are a necessity for me. While walking along the beach in Panama, a wave came along that knocked me over. When I regained my footing, I realized that my glasses had gone out to sea! Being very close to blind without them, I was very thankful I had packed an old pair as backups. I also make a point of using a chum, which is a strap securing the glasses to my head. My prescription is so complex, I would never be able to get quick replacements while traveling, but I think I'll explore Annie's recommendation for zenni.

I always like to say that I never lost or broke any glasses despite walking 8 different camino paths. But I quickly add that I attribute this to the fact that I carry an extra pair. I'm willing to bet that if I only carried one pair, someplace high on a hill in the middle of nowhere I would drop it and step on it. The camino provides, as we well know, but it can also take away.
Until I read all your responses I don't think I'd realized how many ways glasses could be broken or messed up or lost. I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old and think I only broke one pair -- on the school playground when a ball hit me square in the face. So ... the reality of breaking a pair seemed so remote. And I was going through what we planned to bring and thinking, "ok, am I carrying my fears here?". But everyone is right, breaking or losing my glasses would cause a serious disruption. And I just now checked the weight. Wrapped in a good amount of bubble wrap: One ounce!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bring a hard case. Don't always have a safe place to sit them while sleeping.

Take them. I consider my spare pair a safety issue.

I have just tried on a couple of pairs of my older eyeglasses. I have a drawer full and was not sure which is more recent. Both pairs, besides being scratched, made me extremely dizzy, as my prescription is strong and has had major changes. Short of spending over $900 for a spare pair, which would be no possible use to me when I get a new prescription, I still cannot see carrying extras. However, I have a new optician and might discuss with her how a simpler but up-to-date prescription could be made up for emergency use while travelling. I am not going anywhere before my next eye checkup, so after that would be a good time to discuss it. Maybe I could get a discount on two new pairs.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
thanks posting
i will bring an old one as a spare

From experience, a resounding yes. Knee was acting up so I took the bus from Castrojerez to Carrión de Los Condes. Prescription glasses must have fallen out of my pocket while exiting bus. Didn’t notice until the bus has already left. Bought a cheap pair at a shop, not prescription, and muddled through till Santiago. Would have been a lot better if I had brought a second pair!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would say yes, I wrapped my second pair in ‘Bubble Wrap’ and Sellotape. Although I did not need them but, they were very light. Buen Camino.

On my last 3 casinos a brought a pair of prescription sunglasses. Great on sunny days and a backup if my clear ones were damaged or lost

Agree with others…bring a spare pair. There are opticians in the large cities (Burgos, Leon, etc. who can replace a screw, a broken arm and possible find solution to a broken frame. Obtaining a new specialized lense while walking a camino would take quite a while. I carry prescription sunglasses with the same frame size as my normal glasses which act as a backup frame. As well, I have a glasses screwdriver in my Swiss Army knife and a small tube of superglue. I have relieved I did as used all of the about during my various Caminos.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just tried on a couple of pairs of my older eyeglasses. I have a drawer full and was not sure which is more recent. Both pairs, besides being scratched, made me extremely dizzy, as my prescription is strong and has had major changes. Short of spending over $900 for a spare pair, which would be no possible use to me when I get a new prescription, I still cannot see carrying extras. However, I have a new optician and might discuss with her how a simpler but up-to-date prescription could be made up for emergency use while travelling. I am not going anywhere before my next eye checkup, so after that would be a good time to discuss it. Maybe I could get a discount on two new pairs.
I’ve got a complicated scrip that costs $800 after insurance at the eye doctor. I was able to get glasses made via the Zenni Optical website. $240 for 2 pair, one sunglasses! My options were more limited due to my scrip, but they are just as good as the ones I have ordered from the doc office.

After failed ( beginning of pandemic ) cataract surgeries with no proper follow up, my vision is awful. I can see better for distance, but can't even read large print close. I have bifocal contacts which are okay for short periods of time, so not helpful with entire day of wear, and they're disposable so would take up lots of bulk space to carry.
My solution for this June's walk is maybe 10 pair of contacts, and one pr prescription glasses to read my phone and menus...but I've also purchased a very thin, very lightweight magnifying sheet to slide into my guidebook ( amazon ) ...which works beautifully and is unbreakable. Hopefully it will keep me on the right path...lol

I got an extra pair from eyebuydirect. 1/5th the cost of the ones I got at my optician and I actually like them better. (Progressive multifocal) An extra current or older script extra pair is a must for me. I've seen the suggestion of using a Crystal light container instead of the regular case. Ridged plastic and light. It's not something I drink but I got one from a friend.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I got an extra pair from eyebuydirect. 1/5th the cost of the ones I got at my optician and I actually like them better. (Progressive multifocal) An extra current or older script extra pair is a must for me. I've seen the suggestion of using a Crystal light container instead of the regular case. Ridged plastic and light. It's not something I drink but I got one from a friend
What is the weight of the crystal light type container? I might pick one up too if it weighs less than my case. Cool suggestion!

I appreciate the provision of names of online stores for prescription glasses, but I would really like to know if anyone is aware of one that serves Canadian customers. I have tried the Zenni website, but their chatbot does not reply to questions about Canadian customers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all this feedback. You have convinced me to take a backup pair yet again. It's so easy to start obsessing over every ounce.
I’m glad you decided to take a spare. When in doubt refer to: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m glad you decided to take a spare. When in doubt refer to: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 😉
For most items that we take on the Camino it's not necessary to bring a spare, because it's easy to find a substitute in Spain, but prescription glasses are an exception to the rule.

For most items that we take on the Camino it's not necessary to bring a spare, because it's easy to find a substitute in Spain, but prescription glasses are an exception to the rule.
Of course. I’m referring to the glasses. Isn’t that what this thread is about? I’m not suggesting she take a spare sleeping bag. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Of course. I’m referring to the glasses. Isn’t that what this thread is about? I’m not suggesting she take a spare sleeping bag. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I was agreeing with you about an ounce of prevention in bringing the spare glasses. I should have started my post with "I agree"😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On Caminos, I've brought prescription sunglasses as a backup pair.
How does that work for doing things like reading menus and such indoors?
Is it difficult? How do you handle low contrast print? I could see maybe using my phone light to help in some short situations...
Looking for good options here because it's not my frames that are costly but my lenses so I don't think a service like Zenni can help. And as @Albertagirl notes, they don't serve Canadians with the Q/A chatbot.

Because your spare pair won't help you to see the distant views, and your prescription isn't common those are reasons enough to bring a spare that works for the whole camino.
I also have an uncommon prescription and always travel with a spare pair of glasses, even on an over night trip.
Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.

€83,-
I wear contacts and find I can usually get more in any large town, and as I use monovision daily lenses I don't need to carry cleaning solution. If need be I could just use the distance lenses in both eyes and get cheap readers to wear over the top. My sunglasses are plain glass at the top with a reading correction at the bottom. Lots of solutions as long as you don't have a complex prescription. If you do, then absolutely, yes, spare glasses!

How does that work for doing things like reading menus and such indoors?
Is it difficult? How do you handle low contrast print? I could see maybe using my phone light to help in some short situations...
Looking for good options here because it's not my frames that are costly but my lenses so I don't think a service like Zenni can help. And as @Albertagirl notes, they don't serve Canadians with the Q/A chatbot.
Fortunately, I haven't needed them as a backup pair. I have used my sunglasses indoors. It isn't optimal, but it is doable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Twice, when I’ve been away, a screw came loose in my vari-focal glasses, and the lens fell out. Fortunately, both times, I was able to feel around and find the lens and the tiny screw, and take them into an optician to put them back together.

Now, I ALWAYS go into an optician just before a trip, and ask them to tighten up the little screws.

I don’t take a spare pair on the camino, but if I did lose them I would get some over-the-counter readers in a pharmacy, so that I would still be able to read. I could get by without prescription glasses for walking and getting back home.

Bring the backup pair. They don't take much room, are light weight, and will, if needed, save maybe days of headache waiting for a new pair to be made or causing you real pain from eye-strain headache and prevent you from seeing beautiful vistas daily. An ounce of prevention for
a pound of cure seems more than worth it. I am biased. I wear bifocals and never travel without a spare pair of specs.

Cost of carrying backup glasses - a few grams and a bit of care in packing
Cost of losing/breaking prescription glasses without backup pair in pack - finding an optometrist to make you new glasses, time while they make them, frustration and stress...

No-brainer in my book...

€46,-
Cost of carrying backup glasses - a few grams and a bit of care in packing
Cost of losing/breaking prescription glasses without backup pair in pack - finding an optometrist to make you new glasses, time while they make them, frustration and stress...

No-brainer in my book...
The cost of carrying backup glasses begins with purchasing those glasses, in my case, about $900. That is for something that I need and cannot do without if I lose or break it. And it is also for something which has to be replaced every few years, as my prescription changes. To buy two pairs, instead of one, every time I need a new prescription, is a significant expense for me. Sometimes I have to pay in frustration and stress because I can't spare the cash.

The cost of carrying backup glasses begins with purchasing those glasses, in my case, about $900. That is for something that I need and cannot do without if I lose or break it. And it is also for something which has to be replaced every few years, as my prescription changes. To buy two pairs, instead of one, every time I need a new prescription, is a significant expense for me. Sometimes I have to pay in frustration and stress because I can't spare the cash.
Good point. But the OP already has a spare pair, which, on previous Caminos, she has brought with her. She is not facing the sort of expense you describe, which I agree, would be daunting. She just is looking for opinions about whether she should leave her already existing, and somewhat Camino veteran, spare pair behind this time. Look at it this way, if you ALREADY had a spare pair, I suspect you would bring them, wouldn't you?

After failed ( beginning of pandemic ) cataract surgeries with no proper follow up, my vision is awful. I can see better for distance, but can't even read large print close. I have bifocal contacts which are okay for short periods of time, so not helpful with entire day of wear, and they're disposable so would take up lots of bulk space to carry.
My solution for this June's walk is maybe 10 pair of contacts, and one pr prescription glasses to read my phone and menus...but I've also purchased a very thin, very lightweight magnifying sheet to slide into my guidebook ( amazon ) ...which works beautifully and is unbreakable. Hopefully it will keep me on the righ

Fortunately, I haven't needed them as a backup pair. I have used my sunglasses indoors. It isn't optimal, but it is doable.
Not to labour the point too much but...photochromic lenses. Not perfectly clear indoors or in the evening but very much better than normal sunglasses.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Twice, when I’ve been away, a screw came loose in my vari-focal glasses, and the lens fell out. Fortunately, both times, I was able to feel around and find the lens and the tiny screw, and take them into an optician to put them back together.

Now, I ALWAYS go into an optician just before a trip, and ask them to tighten up the little screws.

I don’t take a spare pair on the camino, but if I did lose them I would get some over-the-counter readers in a pharmacy, so that I would still be able to read. I could get by without prescription glasses for walking and getting back home.
I have 3 travel glasses screwdrivers. One in my car. One next to my bed and one in with my travel stuff. Weighs very little but when I came out of a hotel shower in Ireland and put on my glasses only to have the lens pop out…I was so grateful to have the driver. When I finally found the screw feeling along the floor, half blind.

Not to labour the point too much but...photochromic lenses. Not perfectly clear indoors or in the evening but very much better than normal sunglasses.
I thought that the point of photochromic lenses is that you don't need a second pair of glasses, which leaves you without the backup pair.

My prescription sunglasses were chosen to leave me with decent vision if I wear them while driving and end up in a long tunnel, so they aren't too bad indoors.

I have had unexpected eyeglass problems while traveling 3 times (have needed glasses for about 30 years and most of my lifetime traveling has occurred during those years). I always pack them.

€46,-
I thought that the point of photochromic lenses is that you don't need a second pair of glasses, which leaves you without the backup pair.

My prescription sunglasses were chosen to leave me with decent vision if I wear them while driving and end up in a long tunnel, so they aren't too bad indoors.
To some extent you are achieving a similar effect (*) to that of photochromic lenses. You can still carry the backup (clear) pair for evening.
The real point of photochromic (for me) is the ability to have sun protection and map-reading facility but also being able to function indoors without changing spectacles e.g entering a shop, bus or train station etc in the daytime. The lenses take a little time to lighten but still preferable to fishing for fresh glasses in the pack or pockets.
As I mention upthread, the photochromics are on a lanyard so can be donned/doffed in an instant if appropriate. This is all very cheering (not...) for someone who required no correction (and had much better than "normal" distant vision) until the age of 50...

*Edited to acknowledge this point clearly.

Last edited:
The best insurance is the one you don't need. I was once jostled in a queue at the airport in the Caribbean, my glasses fell to the floor and someone unintentionally stepped on them. No, I can afford the 200g for the replacement glasses.

Definitely. I lost my glasses and contact lens on the same night. Next morning in Zafra, I found an Optican who was able to make me new glasses that day. I picked them up as scheduled at 4pm, paid, ( not cheap) and very grateful that I could continue and finish my Camino

I have prescription sunglasses as my back up set. I can read and see with them as well as my regular glasses.
I wear contacts. I carry my prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses... They weigh next to nothing and my angst is far less!! To each "eye" her/his own.

I lost my clear glasses the first night in Orisson. Thankfully I had a backup pair. The backups weighed very little and were worth far more than their weight in a feeling of security. By the way, Orisson did find them and promised to send them to my home in the US. We asked how much money to reimburse them and they never responded and never sent the glasses. I guess someone there liked the frames.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If at all possible, I highly recommend getting a form of laser eye surgery, such as Lasik. If you get mono-vision done, you will not need glasses for distance, nor reading glasses. The cost has come down greatly since the procedure was invented.

I wear contacts. I carry my prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses... They weigh next to nothing and my angst is far less!! To each "eye" her/his own.
I am doing the same. The added weight, if any, does not compare to the weight of the worry if I find myself 'blind" because of an infection or injury in my eye.

I'm pretty helpless without glasses and I've always brought an extra pair of eyeglasses as a backup in case my main pair are lost or broken. But, I'm re-considering for our upcoming camino (leaving in a week!)
I plan to bring a back up. I just bought a second pair with an updated prescription for this purpose. I'm Bringing the old pair along as a backup. I've not been on a Camino before, but I've had glasses break on past vacations (plural). I was forced to use contacts which no longer work that well for me due to progressive presbyopia and astigmatism. I also plan to bring a pair of contacts as a backup to my backup. Like you, I am helpless without corrective eyewear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If at all possible, I highly recommend getting a form of laser eye surgery, such as Lasik. If you get mono-vision done, you will not need glasses for distance, nor reading glasses. The cost has come down greatly since the procedure was invented.
I was just talking to my mom about that.
I wonder if Medicare covers it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They come folded in a hard case 8cm long and as a unit weigh 33g.
They look good for travelling and the Camino. However, they won't work for me since I need regular glasses, not just reading glasses. I have spent some time weighing different eyeglass cases, trying to find the lightest case that is hard enough to protect my spare pair at the bottom of my backpack!

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back