Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Which hat looks better?

JAL

Year of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
I got a new hat, "A", and was all proud until my daughter said it was a "no". A very strong no. "B" is my trusty hat of 6 caminos. Please leave a vote. Thanks!
Hats.jpg

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
A looks more like a town hat but that may be because it's new
B is more pilgrim style

But really, wear what pleases you.
I think what you are really saying is that in general pilgrims look "frumpy".😂

Raggy

Veteran Member
I think what you are really saying is that in general pilgrims look "frumpy".😂
Actually, I tried hard to avoid language that would read as a value judgment. To be honest, my preference is for what I have labeled "pilgrim style." I don't think of it as frumpy. I like it better than the "smart and debonair" look. But I may be in the minority.

Today I am doing video calls with clients at some very buttoned down companies from my home office in a frayed T-shirt and shorts that have seen a couple of thousand kilometers of trail. (They can't see the shorts). Perhaps Raggy is not the person to take sartorial advice from.

Last edited:

RJM

Veteran Member
A few times
"A" looks way better, but if it's not packable it may not be the best for the Camino. I wear a version of "B" on the Camino. We called that style a "boonie hat" in the military. I like them for the Camino because they're cheap, they're packable and I can saturate it with water at a fountain, wring it out and put it on. Cooling effect on hot days.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Holy Year Credential
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Anamiri

Veteran Member
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I got a new hat, "A", and was all proud until my daughter said it was a "no". A very strong no. "B" is my trusty hat of 6 caminos. Please leave a vote. Thanks!
View attachment 104916
It looks as though A would give better shade. The sun isn't always right above you. A looks as though your ears would be more protected

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I think a handsome worldly fellow would look trustworthy and reliable a companion as can be with hat A.
But thats coming from a hat biased person who has traveled among many hattters...

Some mad
Some sad
Some covered in oil from the fields
Some with patches from units in some foreign place and time
Some dusty
Some thread bare and faded and passed down from Dad or Mom
Some backwards
Sideways
Some with a ponytail out the back!😃

But new ones need breaking in
Bending the bill just right
Flat bill,brim..whatever on a baseball cap is...
Well anyway

The light color should provide that extra degree of coolness

But..new year
New road
New hat.

Buen Camino!!!

Owensr23

“A”… and don’t worry about ponchó hood. I never put the hood over my hat. As you can see from my profile picture I believe in a wide brim for the shade. :)

The rain just pours off and I am cooler…temperature wise.
Your daughter may think “B” looks more like you. Who do you want to be on the Camino?

Holy Year Credential
Camino Masks

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Go for a walk with both of them with your pack on a hotter sunny day and see which one works best. Looks can be deceiving. It may look great but does it do the job. And when you are not wearing it how does it get stored or packed.

GuyA

View attachment 104916
Too funny! I have 3 daughters…so I am a very lucky person however they would tell me that I don’t look good in anything.

Having heard their verdict I would simply pick what I feel good in…to be honest that would be B because it looks so much like my one and only Camino hat.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
This one. You never know when you will be invited to be in a wedding party in Logrono or a formal ball at the palace in Madrid. This one flattens beautifully in the bottom of your pack.:)

Attachments

• istockphoto-1131015471-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-1131015471-612x612.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 33
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
This made me laugh out loud because I am certainly NOT a fashion queen on the Camino. In fact, I probably look silly, but for me, it's all about comfort. Sooooo... I'd go with the old faithful, simply because you know and love it. The first one IS quite attractive however. ::😁::

Camino Way Markers

malingerer

samarkand
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
I should add to my reply that on my Camino I saw an extraordinary parade of awful, awful hats. Thank god there are no fashion police out on the Camino.
Perhaps you should wear sunnies and an umbrella? :)

Samarkand

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Sheesh

CF (2009, 2013);
? (2020)
A looks better, but B is more malleable, which has advantages. And were the stiffer brim of A to knock against your back-pack that would quickly become irritating.

Arleene

View attachment 104916
A hat is a hat. Take which ever you like the best and functions the best. I have never judged anyone on the camino based on their hat or clothing style.

Camino Masks
Camino Maps

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
View attachment 104916
A looks better to me but I wonder if it can be rolled up or stuck in a backpack when you don’t want to wear it…
Either would be a great choice

Via de la Plata (september - october 2016)
View attachment 104916
as long as you’re not wearing a baseball cap while not playing baseball…

A seems a bit too pointy for you, so I’ll go with B 🤠👮💂‍♀️🧑‍🌾🧙‍♂️

Buen camino!
Miguel

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

jsalt

Jill
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
I agree with @André Walker take both - you'll soon ditch the one you don't need.

Bend

Frances (2014/15)
Finisterre (2014)
Le Puy (2017/18)
Portugal (2019)
This one. You never know when you will be invited to be in a wedding party in Logrono or a formal ball at the palace in Madrid. This one flattens beautifully in the bottom of your pack.:)
Now that’s a hat!! Mine is an even more battered version of B which has happily accompanied me on 7 Caminos!!

Camino Maps
Camino Masks
2021 Camino Guides
Holy Year Credential

LesR

Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
When in doubt, go with the widest brim. :)
Form should always follow function... which hat shades your head best (assuming you would wear it for shade rather than show...) ?

Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I have an Australian military style slouch hat that I sometimes wear hiking (always brim down). It is my first choice to wear in rain or snow. I do wear it on hot sunny days. When new it looked more like choice A than B. After 40+ years it's looking more and more like choice B. I really considered taking it on my caminos but it would have been a day-to-day choice of whether to wear it and the care would have been a hassle when I wasn't wearing it.

TLDR: Go with B. (A looks better for style but for the camino it needs to be beat up more to look right.)

Camino Maps

Susan Maria

Le Puy to SJPDP in sections over 2016-2019
Camino Frances one day I hope
Sounds like I'm in the minority but I prefer B on you. However, could you get a new one in a slightly larger size? Plus, packable, drenchable, etc

I was just about to post my own hat question when I saw this entertaining thread, thanks everyone!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I was just about to post my own hat question when I saw this entertaining thread, thanks everyone!
I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining. Every reply has been either relevant or humorous, and there has been no wrong answer, whether choosing A or B, imo.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides

Mera

Camino France, Camino del Norte, Camino de Madrid
Camino Porto, Camino Primitivo
View attachment 104916
A looks good but B makes you look like an authentic pilgrim.

JAL

Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining. Every reply has been either relevant or humorous, and there has been no wrong answer, whether choosing A or B, imo.
I very much agree. The answers have been much more illuminating and thoughtful than I had anticipated. And much more evenly split then I thought they would be.

2021 Camino Guides
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

C clearly

Staff member
However, could you get a new one in a slightly larger size?
Now you are talking! We need the OP to give us an option C, and I'm quite sure it would win!

The problem with A is that it is probably more expensive and it wouldn't be easy to pack, so he will lose it within days, unless he is a very experienced hat-wearer who would never walk off without it on his head.

I have been enjoying this hat thread, too, and have found it very entertaining.
Me too. It is relevant to the camino and is a topic that is close to all of our hearts. It even evokes deep thoughts about self-identity, human vanity, father-daughter dynamics, true pilgrimage, weather and much more, not to mention functionality. And furthermore It doesn't mention the C-word!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

JAL

Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
Now you are talking! We need the OP to give us an option C, and I'm quite sure it would win!

The problem with A is that it is probably more expensive and it wouldn't be easy to pack, so he will lose it within days, unless he is a very experienced hat-wearer who would never walk off without it on his head.

Me too. It is relevant to the camino and is a topic that is close to all of our hearts. It even evokes deep thoughts about self-identity, human vanity, father-daughter dynamics, true pilgrimage, weather and much more, not to mention functionality. And furthermore It doesn't mention the C-word!
Totally agree. Well said. This turned out to have a deeper quality to it than the surface question might suggest.
I think A looks better, but it is more important on the camino that it pack well. I think your daughter is just used to the rumpled you, and finds the smarter A to be out of character. Who do you WANT to be?
Very good observation.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
View attachment 104916
@JAL, I have to give my honest answer. It matters not an iota which looks better. You can't see it, point one, but you know which feels better! Please yourself, and this is said without a hint of insult or injury!

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Holy Year Credential

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads